Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

D sounds fun.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

How far away IS our uncle's hut?
If it's close enough that we can reasonably get there and back before dad is done beating the poo poo out of Jalitha, then I vote H

Otherwise, I vote C

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ok, sticking with H then.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

G. "Save Jalitha!" While pointing frantically

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I like A Terrible Person's idea, so put me down for that one.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. B C A H G E D F

2. L - Hey, we'll believe in anything that listens. And it's a big world, plenty of room for other gods.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Having seen the rundown on the two beliefs, I'm honestly kinda liking the fish god. I mean, OK, dad is an rear end, no doubts. But, odds are it's the same thing as what happened to Sebek: that's how he was raised by his own emotionally distant and abusive father, and that's just how he's been raised to roll.

BUT, the fish god seems like it's just a simple anthromorphication of the ocean itself. Sometimes it's calm, sometimes the winds are favorable and the fish plentiful. And sometimes, it's stormy and hellbent on ruining the poo poo of anyone who dares to make the mistake of being nearby.

Jalitha's, well, sounds like a load of crap. I'm sure she believes it, and hell, given the nature of our game, it's possibly true too. But it mostly sounds like fairy tales, and that's going to dull our young mind's ability to be perceptive, because we're just going to assume that her sky giants will protect us, so gently caress watching our own backs.

I think if we can combine belief of fishgod with our ability to grow up and NOT be a jerk like our dad, we'll grow up to have a fairly sensible head on our shoulders, maybe even be clever enough to treat the fishgod stories as the cautionary tales they're meant to be, rather than literal truth.

Changing my #2 to Praying to Fishgod because we believe in Fishgod

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm not saying I distrust Jalitha. I believe she has our well-being foremost in her thoughts, I just think her religion is a little too naive/misguided. Or at least what she's shared of it. I don't think for a moment that she wants to harm us in any way.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Disargeria posted:

How is her religion any more misguided than the fish one?

Like I said before, Fishgod is pretty much just an anthromorphification (sp?) of the ocean. It's capricious. Sometimes the seas are calm and the fish are plentiful. Sometimes, the fish are nonexistent and the seas are terrible and destructive. Just like the ocean, Fishgod really gives no fucks. You learn to accept that, and try not to piss it off, because hey, no point in trying to provoke it.
You rely on the strength of your back, and learn the necessary precautions to mitigate the damage when Fishgod decides that it needs to break stuff.

Jalitha's gods, to me at least, just sound like wishful thinking. I think that despite their well-meaning and desire to sound comforting, they promote a lack of personal responsibility. They encourage you not to worry, because invisible sky giants will protect you and never let you get hurt - and an attitude like that is going to get us killed if we decide to end up alone and away from the village for some reason.

That's how I'm interpreting it all, at any rate.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Have any of our gods ever communicated with you directly about anything?

I'm not talking about signs or omens or anything he may have perceived as an edict from a god. I mean, actual direct use of words, something like:
"Hey, Og's Dad, THIS IS YOUR GOD, AND I AM SPEAKING TO YOU. Hold any gates you may come across in the future. Be nice to clowns. Etc, etc."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. No - I'm pretty sure that if he weren't our real father, he'd have cast us out or exiled us or otherwise NOT let us live in his house and whatnot.

2. Yes - He'll probably just tell us we imagined it, but hey, mebbe we'll learn some snippet of lore.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

What's the general population of our village?
Roughly how many children/adults/elders?

Do the villagers in general seem to be well-provided for, or are we barely scraping by?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Voting NO on ditching Uncle Jorah, but YES on swimming alone less often and slightly less time with Jalitha.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

C

Dad doesn't trust Jalitha. If she starts talking to these strangers in her native language, he's going to assume witchery is afoot.
We likely know enough to get the gist of what they want and go from there.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

D

As tempting as A and taking on some missionary work sounds, I imagine this path will lead to years of Jalitha and friends trying to convince us that our silly fishgod is nothing more than a magi and a pretender and otherwise not real.

And odds are, if Jalitha's people win this, our people are going to be captured and enslaved. We need to get them to safety.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

H
I wanna grab the tooth and run, but, we lack survival skills. We still need to do some growing up before we can avenge our dad or do whatever it is we decide to do.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I believe Jalitha is lying about being our mom.
I also believe that she is lying in order to protect us. I suspect before the end of the day, our village is going to be nothing but ash and ruin.

These guys obviously see us as dumbassed savages in need of a good massacre, and once they're done provoking the rest of the village into trying to defend themselves, they're going to draw steel and leave none except whoever they decide to capture.

We pretty much have to go with them. We have no survival skills, so unless we run into a pack of tortoises willing to raise us and teach us the way of the carrot, we'll likely not survive running away. And hell, that assumes we don't get caught.
If we try to avenge dad right now, we're going to get backhanded if not killed. We aren't physically powerful, nor do we know dad's magic. And it'd take a hell of a lucky shot to do more than wound the guy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Canuck-Errant posted:

If she's lying, why would she have put so much time and effort into being with us, despite all of those beatings?

She probably felt bad for us.
According to Diog (assuming I'm not remembering wrong), our dad is the sole source of beatings in the village, and we are the only 2 recipients.

That, and she lived in our house as the family servant, so she'd have had way more time and opportunity to bond with us, as opposed to the other kids, who shunned us.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

El is King of the Sky Giants, who save women and children from the monsters :downs:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

C - as politely as we can manage.

Ask Jalitha what will happen to the other villagers, namely our "mom" and uncle Jorah.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

+1 to hugging Jalitha

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. A
2. A & E

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ask the King: Did you know our mom before she washed up in our village?

Edit: Mini vote: +1 for Beaky

the_steve fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 31, 2013

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

C and J

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

B

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. C
2. C
3. H

Also, quietly ask our shark-tooth pendant what it thinks about all this.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. D
2. A
3. E - See if we can't learn some sweet survival tips, say in case we get lost in the woods and separated from the adults. Not that that would happen, but, it's good to be prepared.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Can you teach me how to be an adventurer like the guy I'm named after?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

C. ADVENTURE

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. A
2. M - Stand in front of and protect Jalitha and Danal

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

B
C - "Aaaah! AAAAAHHHH! S-s-storm! Aaaaah!"
L

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. A
2. D - "What's happening!?"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A
J
U - Hold the gate

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

This vote is also my vote.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Voting E

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A
Considering the fact that we're 11, I think we made a pretty good showing. No shame in headbutting the ground now.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm mostly worried that pushing our body so far past this point is going to gently caress us up longterm.
It's cold, and raining, and we're worn the gently caress out on every conceivable level.
We're probably going to get pneumonia or something in that ballpark.

Pushing yourself past your limits is awesome, whenever you're trained and conditioned to be able to do such a thing without killing yourself.
We're 11. Yeah, I'd say it's a safe bet that we're tougher than other kids our age, at least on the endurance front. But there's a limit to beyond-your-limits.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

J - wake up Ethan Enkidel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

L
The sooner we realize we're dreaming, the sooner we can wake up.