Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gee, I dunno guys. Maybe we should build an altar first and ask which window we should try next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Diogines posted:

Some substantial part of you seriously considers tying a rope to Uriah for his own good "in case" he is too afraid or does not want to come. You somehow broach this suggestion with him as tactfully as you can. Uriah scowls and says "Are you kidding me? I will climb this tower with ONE foot using the OTHER to kick your aas all the way to the top before I ask for YOUR help!"

Uriah, your usual sparring partner for decades seems offended at the mere suggestion he might be afraid of anything or in any way incapable, let alone needing anyone's help over either.

I'm just gonna hang out in Uriah's vote cycle for awhile, at least until Enkidel is done fapping around in here.
Just go ahead and send me Uriah's lettered options in the next update.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The place was clearly going to be his own Fortress of Solitude, like Amos'
But instead of deciding to tend to his garden and venerate El for the next hojillion years, he decided to climb the Mountain.

Construction wasn't finished, but the Presence dampeners were installed at the very least.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Hellsau posted:

but if El doesn't want us climbing we'd probably have gotten a warning...

We've been warned about this before.
We are not going to get a Preemptive Warning before every :airquote:wrong:airquote: thing we do.
There will be times where we will do the thing, and then get chewed out for it later.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Hellsau posted:

I don't think they're going to let us trigger an ancient instant death trap that stops people from climbing too high, go hunger demon and then fall into an occupied Great City.

No, but they might let us trigger an ancient instant death trap that stops people from climbing too high, go hunger demon, and then seal us away for a Game Over.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

H - Agree with Uriah that we are letting our curiosity make an idiot of us. Climb down and do something else in Carine.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

You guys are failing to take something very specific into consideration. The majority of Uriah's fear is for himself.

How in the hell do you think he's going to react if we reveal "Lol, I was never in any danger." ?

You really don't think that's going to piss him off, that we had no problem forcing him to face one of his biggest fears and a very real chance of falling just because we weren't personally in any danger?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tsyni posted:

If Uriah fell Enkidel would have dive bombed to save him. You could be right though, but I don't think Uriah was in much danger.

Uriah would beg to differ right now.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ask Uriah if he remembers a few of our better ideas from running Kavodel. When he says yes, tell him that those actually were Snarls' idea.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I really hope when we bust that line on Uriah, he just fires back with "Like a goddamned idiot? At least you're aware of it."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

J - This isn't our city, and this tower isn't our problem.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

2. O - Point out that Carine isn't short on it's own Blooded people, the Temple could have easily sent their own people in and left this place locked for a reason.
Seems like the most likely one to get through to him.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Is the door wide enough for us to double team it?

If yes, then voting H: Both of us put all of our strengthliness into busting it down.

Otherwise, A

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

You know what's gonna be funny?

When we figure out that we're just taking Carine's OG Manhood Trial.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

+1 to anything that forgives Uriah and let's him know it's alright.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So, Uriah hit us with Ball Trance of a sort.
I see why Ish forbade us using it, it's basically magic compulsion.
I mean, I had made that conclusion before, but, it's interesting to be on the receiving end.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

C

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FFS, do not loving text back home about this. At least wait until a point where we're actually stuck and have tried the other options.

Seriously, even if we did manage to wait out the several days it'd take to explain this to Ishamal, he'll probably just tell us how we're stuck in Carine's manhood trial and we should have taken the hint when the priest tried to tell us to leave it be.

Kill the groundhog, and then we can kill our way to the room that had the first window we climbed up into. Diog will be all "You're in that first room, except now it has stuff in it. The room says you can leave via the window if you need to wimp out of your trial."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Diogines posted:

I want to thank the amazingly generous Goon who sent me this present(even if I don't know who it is!) and apologize for the extreme delay in uh, posting it. My Secret Snulsmas present. A series of Capybara-Assisted dead drops and smuggling across international borders so it took a while.

This is the finest work of art I have ever seen and a prized and cherished possession which hangs proudly in my home and makes me smile or laugh alternatively, every single time I look at it. Thank you very much! I have literally no idea who did this if you want to identify yourself and if not, I want you to know I truly cherish it, thank you very much!

Holy poo poo. This thread really does produce some of the best fanart.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm picturing FoxTerrier having to go through legit action-thriller poo poo, like being held at gunpoint on top of a train moving through the mountains while some enemy operative is yelling "Give me the package!"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Say-air

Seirrow rhymes with Arrow, so Seir rhymes with the Arr of Arrow.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

C
Jesus Christ, goons. If Diog ever puts in a puzzle where we have to figure out whether the square peg goes in the square, round, or triangle shaped hole, we are doomed.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

J

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A
also, NO to any using of the Claw.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

E
JFC, you dense motherfuckers.

"Welcome to Carine's manhood trial, Build Version 0.1
To continue, kill the simulated creatures of increasing difficulty."

Goons: "I refuse, and will instead attempt literally everything else!"

I cannot wait until we find the priest waiting for us outside, laughing his rear end off because we were too goddamn stupid to solve a puzzle designed for children.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

E
Let Uriah get some rest so he can wake up refreshed and politely remind us that THE TOWER IS A GODDAMNED STUPID WASTE OF TIME AND WE SHOULD HAVE LEFT 10 UPDATES AGO.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Polgas posted:

Unrelated to the current situation but has Enkidel ever asked Tudiya when the tradition of kings not wanting to be kings started given that Zepa really wanted to be one?

Did Zepa want to be King?
Or did he just want to go Galt and have his own patch of land to do what he wanted without other bastards griefing him about it?

I mean, why Tudiya and others not wanting to be King is pretty obvious: Generally speaking, if you're the King, then you have to stay home to do King stuff. You can't go out and be a badass and kill monsters and bathe yourself in the glory of El because you're too busy arbitrating a dispute over who owes who a cow.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Back in Zepa's day, being King was probably a lot closer to being worshipped than it is now.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Pretty sure the Bluestone we got from Toadiya was the first raw Bluestone we ever found, before we had any idea of how significant they actually were.

Of course, it didn't help that when we tried getting details from Ishamal, he went full on "Yep, that's a shiny rock. :effort:"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A
Be real here, with Uriah with us, we are never going to be able to explore this place as thoroughly as you want to. All we're doing is dicking around and accomplishing nothing.
Yes, the tower has many-lots neat things. And one way or another, Uriah will stop us from really checking any of it out.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Write In: Leave. Just grab Uriah and loving go already.

Congrats, we've found punch cards and pneumatic tubes that we will never understand because we don't have the time to study them, and stealing them to study later will have Jael on us to return them before we take 10 steps away from the tower.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tsyni posted:

Man, you're more crotchety than I am. Let's be optimistic.

I've been crotchety about this road trip since we left. I was against it from day one, considering we based it on a halfassed lie to Tudiya.

All we're doing is wasting time. We can't explore at length because Uriah is with us, so any of our attempts to REALLY figure anything out are going to be met with him losing his poo poo worse than I am because we haven't burnt it all in tribute to El.

I love Uriah, he is one of the best characters ever, but he is one of the wrongest choices when it comes to trying to explore anything old and/or questionable because he has a very uncomplicated worldview that involves breaking the poo poo out of anything that isn't pro-El

Had we come alone or brought Asahel with us, then we would be at more liberty to explore and study and piss away the rest of our year trying to stumble rear end-first into activating the big computer in here, but we didn't, and Uriah is only going to tolerate so much of our "Goons think this is Legend of Zelda and we can just go bursting into people's homes and break their pottery" bullshit before he calls us out on it again.

And every day we waste here is a day we don't spend in the Grasslands, which ticks another percent off of the likelihood of us finding anything worthwhile there, and finding something in the Grasslands is the entire reason we fabricated an excuse to make this trip in the first place, so we need to find something there to justify the goddamn trip.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Zodiac5000 posted:

I mean, wouldn't Tudiya be equally ok with "We found this thing in Carine."? Why does whatever we find *have* to be from the grasslands as long as we come back with good stuff? If we say "we got sidetracked in Carine, they have a ruin there that I walked into. Turns out, they're dumbass foreigners and we found some pagan temple-thing. We looted it and found this pike that turns into like six million spiders, and the spiders attack things. We also found two blue stones and Uriah got a pet ghost. It was mean at first but they've come to respect each other. We also found like.... fifty of these orbs that explode like nothing I've ever seen before if you throw them. I had Jobe check them, they aren't cursed."

Maybe he would. Especially if bluestones are involved.
But, we convinced him to let us make this trip with a whole load of ":airquote: Something :airquote: says I need to go to the Grasslands specifically."
So if we don't come back with something relevant from there, even if we return with other things like the Magistone Sample platter from that rear end in a top hat mirage city, he's going to put 2 and 2 together and realize we just got lucky but still deliberately misled him.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

H - Leave. Grab Uriah and go. Be done here.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Diog: "You can't brute force technological advancements."

Goons: "Ok, but what if we just "happen" to arrange this series of mirrors and levers like so and then push the button attached to the MRT-2130 stabilizer - Obviously Enkidel wouldn't know what that is, but, if he just had a gut feeling that he should flip the third switch from his right and twist the dial clockwise? I'm just wondering out loud here..."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

H - Leave. Don't "reconsider the next step for exploring the tower", just grab Uriah and leave.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

K - Leave. Grab Uriah, leave the tower, be on our way.

We haven't the ability to dismantle the telescopes, nor the resources to transport one. And even if we did, stealing Old World tech is probably the sort of thing that ends with Jael showing up and going
"Sorry! I'm not TELLING you that you have to give these to me, but, I am STRONGLY HINTING that you should CHOOSE to do so."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

U - Wait until nightfall, then leave with Uriah and go to the Grasslands.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I really hope there's some sort of time distortion in here, so when we come out we only have just enough time to go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A Terrible Person posted:

A pet theory I've been rolling around is that the Holy of Holies at the base of Mt Har is where El actually hangs out. Ishamal taught Enkidel that magic stuff should be burried to hide it best. Mt Har probably got bigger over time in order to shield El's massive presence that grows every time a well-blooded person dies and zooms off to join it; getting taller over millennia as more dirt's required to shield everything in the area from being overwhelmed. Or a mountain is pushed up ever higher as El gets bigger somewhere deep underground..

That is an interesting take.
Especially since burying it seems like it's supposed to conceal its Presence. So just think of how massive El is if it takes something the size of Mt. Har to keep him buried, and he still gives off the Presence that he does.