Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

E + A
Focus more on finding some trinkets/trophies, but if we see someone who appears to be in rough shape, help them out. And no matter what, make sure we do NOT let Danal out of our sight for even a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Odds are, Tudiya is fine with some kids grabbing the horns. Whoever wins will probably ask him to autograph them after the battle.
He gets his glory for offing a superbeast in front of everyone, some kid gets a "priceless" treasure and keepsake of their beloved warrior-awesomeking, everyone is happy. Except the minotaurs.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. B
2. B
3. C

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

G = B + do our damndest to fight off as many of his friends as we can. An assbeating is a foregone conclusion, we may as well give as good as we get.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Trying to run is a bad idea. Unless they all trip over each other, they'll probably catch us, and no matter how we try to play it, we'll be known as the coward who was afraid to fight. The fact that it's 6 on 1 won't matter, but us trying to turn tail and flee will be in the rumor mill and common knowledge in no time.
We need to take our beating like a man. Fight back as hard as we can, try to give as many bruises as we get.
Proving we aren't afraid to get hurt, and that we can throw a decent punch, will do more for us with these guys than any amount of on the fly tricksiness.

That being said though, C is also a bad idea.
In the short term, sure, we might win. And that'll humiliate this kid. And then he's going to try to kill us, because we're pretty much a slave. He'll owe Tudiya a couple of chickens, maybe a cow. And if we lose, he's going to want to hurt us in a bad way, not just a decent pummeling.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 18, 2013

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

D

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. B - Who are you?
2. A - ask Ishamal about our recurring dreams

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. B - Tell Danal: "Looks like we're off to a good start at being heroes.", also we should feel a sense of pride at doing good.
2. B
3. A - Ishamal's friends are cool, but they'd likely distract us one way or the other while we try to make sense of these dreams.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. A
2. B - What did they do with the minotaurs who got taken alive?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Fast Forward 1 year. I think that'll let us diversify our skillset a little bit, but still give us some leeway in figuring out what we want to truly focus on.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. C
3. Holy poo poo, I want all of the choices.
B - 1
D - 1
F - 2

edit: forgot to vote on 4
4. B

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A x3 - Personally, I like swords, but I think our boy Enkidel needs to be a staff man.
M x 1 - Originally, I was going to campaign in favor of slings, but, since I'm only putting 1 point towards a secondary weapon, I think we need it to be something more reliable than a sling. That, and an arrow can make a decent "Oh poo poo, critical moment, surprise stab attack" weapon, if we ever get into that sort of desperate situation.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Changing my weapon vote:
1 point for Sling

The 3 points for staff stay the same.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. D
2. B - I really want to choose Snarls, but, if this IS a test of manhood, then it's best we take something that will let us be self-sufficient without it being able to be a crutch.

Minivote: Yes to waking up Snarls and asking him to watch out for Mom and Danal

Question to Diog: Do we know if Zepath has any sort of coming-of-age rituals and/or what they'd entail?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lanky has swayed my heart to go against my better judgement.

Changing my vote to bring Snarls along, instead of the stone knife.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Another thing to consider: sure, we're fairly certain we're about to take our Man Card test, but, how long are we going to be gone?
I don't think we were ever given a number, just that we'd be gone "awhile."

And that's assuming things don't go pear shaped on us and leave us halfway across the world somehow.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Voting NO to the marriage question. We can ask that poo poo when we're a man and worthy.

Tell Tudiya: I have every intention of returning in a month, and with a worthy offering. But, just in case the powers that be have a different plan for me, please tell my mother I love her, and that I'm sorry I haven't spent more time with her.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's pretty clear that Tudiya thinks very highly of us, Diog has dropped that hint several times, if not outright said as much.

He's giving us the same test his father gave him, the same test he intends to give to his biological son. He obviously thinks we're not only worthy of the task, but up to it as well. I think it says volumes about what he thinks of us.
If we play our cards right, he might grant us our freedom, either when we return, or contingent upon Danal growing up to be a good man.

Preemptively voting No to asking if we'll get our freedom.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Task Manager posted:

Guys our dog is kind of magical lets tell Tudiya about him too. Has our loincloth ever done anything special? Does our beard tingle with the power of El? Better shave it off can't be too careful!

Don't tell him about the loving comfortable sandals. If he felt they were an unfair advantage he wouldn't have let us take them. He's Tudiya he knows these things.

Agreed.
Voting: Shut the hell up about the sandals.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

RandomPauI posted:

This is a test to see if we can survive taking only one item that is very important to the ritual or our survival. Our sandals and Snarls should rightly count as two items. If we want to honor the spirit of the test we must be honest even if our feet hurt for a few days.

If he wanted us to choose between the sandals and other stuff, he'd have put them on the pile. He did not.

We were given enough time to put on our sandals.
Therefore, the sandals are fair game for us.
We chose our one item from the pile, and we didn't try to game it by asking Snarls to grab stuff.

If our sandals conjured a delicious sandwich when we clicked the heels or erected a comfortable shelter for us when we did a merry jig, I could understand telling Tudiya.
But they don't. They let us walk, that's it. Not run, not climb, not even walk stealthily. They just let us walk a lot.
Being able to walk isn't going to put food in our belly, water on our tongue, or a roof over our head.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I wonder if Tudiya had this same moral quandary during his test.

"You know, I do have the blood of Labaras, which seems to give me powers. Maybe I should replace all of my blood with someone else's. You know, just to be fair."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think Tudiya is more than smart enough to know that mom will tell us if and when she's good and ready to tell us. He's not going to undermine her wishes on this.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

If I recall correctly, magic was generally frowned upon and shameful, for men at least.

Minivoting: No to saying we spoke with a witch. I'm not so much worried about us, but I don't want her to get in trouble, and I can't remember whether or not she was open about her witchery.

Ask Tudiya: When you started that fire, were you able to do that because of your blood? Or was it something you learned, in which case, can I learn it?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

2. Ask "What's wrong, boy?", maybe he senses danger.
3. B

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

4. Approach, but don't YELL. Tell Snarls to hang back a few steps in case we need backup

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

D - It's the right thing to do. We can survive a few days without water.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sogol posted:

At what point in our manhood test do we change from being a boy to a man, I wonder?

I think at the point when we stop running to Tudiya everytime we need to make a decision. This is our man test, it's time we start attending to our own business.

I think trying to save him or not should be contingent on whether or not giving him water helps. We were wrong about him being dead, we may be wrong about him being too far gone to save.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

On a mostly unrelated matter - I've been thinking about Tudiya summoning fire while we were hiking out here, our asking if we could learn that, and him saying no.
I don't believe him. Whether he's lying, or honestly doesn't think we can, I can't say, but, I do believe we can do it.

Long story short: It was magic.

Now, I'll admit that it probably comes easier to him due to his bloodline, but I'm willing to wager that most people could learn how to do it, if given the proper training.

He needs people to not believe this though. Why? Because it helps lend weight to belief in El.

"Sure, Tudiya can look at 2 sticks, say 'Brisingr', and make a campfire. He's descended from a divine bloodline. This reinforces my belief that a divine being exists in the first place. Too bad he doesn't know any jokes."

It's why he's so quick to villify folks like Bareen and the witch who was trying to recruit us - because it makes him less special, which makes El seem less special.
If you knew that you could do the same sort of awesome poo poo as your King, who has magical godblood, then magical godblood doesn't seem as impressive anymore.

I dunno, just something that's been rolling around in my head. Might be something to consider later.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. Yes - Touch the words
2. Sogol +1

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Minivote: N - I'll tell you everything I know about my good friend Ishamal in exchange for your gourd, filled with water. Or a similar gourd, also filled with water, if you're attached to that particular gourd.

Also, ask: Know any good jokes?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A Dog and his Boy vote: C

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. A
2. D - I'm assuming that if he wanted to be found, his whereabouts would likely be known to Azz already.
3. A + O
I'll save the actual question for someone who knows a good question to ask, but, I am in favor of information.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Because the picture of him that you're using looks a lot like the shar-pei I had growing up, and he lived to be drat near 15, god dammit.

Ok, so he had a healthy lifestyle and never had to trek across the desert, but I stand by my point :argh:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Outrail posted:

I wonder what the reaction will be if we name drop our hungry fishy friend.

"Ohhh, THAT guy. That loving guy. You know, he's only so hungry because he keeps forgetting that he ate. Little goldfish brain, you see?"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. F - Honestly, I suspect that Tudiya may try to fail us for this, since we accepted the responsibility of Snarls' well-being when we brought him along, but, if I have to choose between passing a test or letting my best friend die, then gently caress it, I'll stay a kid.

2. L+Z - 3 days of water for Snarls, and Azz's contact info so we can hang out in the future.
Also, we should ask him about the flute, if we didn't already. Maybe he knows how to jailbreak the thing so we can play for people. It has nothing to do with our survival, so it shouldn't break any rules.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm afraid A will kill us, and B would be cheating, since that's Snarls food/water.

K + I - Demand the rain jokingly, may as well take Azz's advice and start developing a sense of humor. ALSO and more importantly: Keep on trucking, Carry Snarls when he is too tired to walk, and let him walk when he's rested. We only stop long enough to feed/water him and to pick him up/put him down.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Voting against eating/drinking excrement from any source. Voting against it with every fiber of my being.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. A
2. Was there a 2?
3. SKJQ in that order. K&J can occur simultaneously

A belly full of water should help make the hunger pangs tolerable until we can get actual food.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 7, 2013

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

We shouldn't be eating or drinking from Azz's coconuts.
It was specifically requested for Snarls.
As mentioned, we only requested enough for Snarls to reach the treeline.

If we partake of it, then we go against the spirit of our trial.
Plus, we'd be breaking faith with Azz. I LIKE Azz, I don't want to feel like we ripped him off, and I certainly don't want him thinking that we ripped him off or tried to pull one over on him.

Personally, I think we need to ditch the coconuts once we have enough strength to deal with something other than our starvation/dehydration/exhaustion.
Bury them in the sand, offer a thanks to Azz, and be on our way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. It's OK boy, we got this.
2. B - Enkidel by pledge - Snarls
3. C