Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

"What wisdom can you share?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

C
We better go on a crazy adventure with Danal before we get to Zepath and slam dunk it too, cause if we're slated to be fishers by the time we get there, no more adventures for Enkidel. We must impress the king with our (fledgling) adventuring skills!

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

Please weigh in if you want to ask this or not.
Don't say anything Asherah related.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

SerSpook posted:

We grab a spear (we have more experience with spears) and stand in front of Jalitha. However, we will also call Danal over to protect him, or to help protect Jalitha as well if he so wishes. We can reverse this and call Jalitha while protecting Danal if he is too frightened to come.
Pray to El first! "You are great, I am small. Guide my hands. Protect our lives"

It takes courage to hold the fort, watch the boat and keep loved ones safe. A and SerSpook's M. Soon we will see which is more dangerous: an abomination or a tribal high-priest.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Edit: changed my vote.
R. Since Enkidel doesn't have the time to say these words out loud or in mind; say them with his heart.
If Enkidel says anything out-loud: "By Your will alone: guide us, we pray. So be it." (And "guide" could mean anything from where to go, what to do, how to do it or not to do anything at all. This prayer is to the Creator.)

quote:

"Creator, You are great. I am made low. You are great before I can even be, let alone be made low. Your ways are beyond our ways. May Your will be done here as it is where You are. Praise You, for You deign to limit and define Yourself to allow us attempts at understanding You. We fail, for You are limitless, yet we try still. You granted us just as much true free will as You have fate, which live together without confliction. Any by this we can know that life is here for a reason and is important. Hear my prayer, oh Creator and let my cry come unto You. This day we have our lives within the grasp of beasts who mean to end life. You have given us the ability to defend ourselves, but there are yet things beyond our strength, which is nothing to Your power. There is purpose to us living. Protect our lives, not for our own profit, but for Your honor and glory. If we don't praise You, something will, the rocks will cry out if they must. May it be that we live this day to Your honor. May we be the ones who praise You. Guide us, we pray.

By Your will alone: so be it."
This takes a while to say, but less than a second to have in one's heart.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 13, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

SerSpook posted:

and we can't go bugging El with everything.
That's a huge assumption the Creator has any limitation from Enkidel's perspective. It's a bigger leap to that than it is to the Creator's omnipotence. I feel comfortable bringing endless supplications than to shy from bothering the Creator.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Yo, to you guys who want to try some flashy lightning poo poo. Have you considered that EL and his bunch have been really free and open with the power displays. Tudiya glowing and poo poo, speaking in tongues, super strength, EL calming the forests for us when we prayed to him.

You know what would be super cool? If we professed our UNSHAKEABLE faith and invoked a prayer to EL. He's been giving out boons and miracles like candy, I'm sure we can get a lil something for him. After all, we're favoured by Gods, we knew of the storm when we were but 4 years old.

And this spear? We're loving naturals at throwing spears. We spent so much time in the sea and with Jorah practicing that poo poo. Hell we're already unconsciously shifting into the best spear throwing posture and grip.

Imagine a divine imbued EL powered spear throw.

Vote ORF
Another vote for this. Let's take action with El as our strength!

If Enkidel says anything out-loud: "By Your will alone: guide us, we pray. So be it." (And "guide" could mean anything from where to strike, how to hold the spear, stance or not to do anything at all.)Have Enkidel pray this in his heart:

quote:

"Creator, You are great. I am made low. You are great before I can even be, let alone be made low. Your ways are beyond our ways. May Your will be done here as it is where You are. Praise You, for You deign to limit and define Yourself to allow us attempts at understanding You. We fail, for You are limitless, yet we try still. You granted us just as much true free will as You have fate, which live together without confliction. Any by this we can know that life is here for a reason and is important. Hear my prayer, oh Creator and let my cry come unto You. This day we have our lives within the grasp of beasts who mean to end life. You have given us the ability to defend ourselves, but there are yet things beyond our strength, which is nothing to Your power. There is purpose to us living. Protect our lives, not for our own profit, but for Your honor and glory. If we don't praise You, something will, the rocks will cry out if they must. May it be that we live this day to Your honor. May we be the ones who praise You. Guide us, we pray.

By Your will alone: so be it."
This takes a while to say, but less than a second to have in one's heart.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

EXAKT Science posted:

We've been told several times at this point that Asherah doesn't heed prayers. If we're going to survive this, it really seems like we need some sort of divine aid. If El is going to send angels to help us, it's going to be now, so we might as well go all true-believer and see what happens.
Thanks for the back-up, but thank Lanky too 'cause he got us on the ORF train.

Be warned: a non-response from El/The Creator does not indicate their in-existence. :colbert:

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Edit: I don't really care one way or another if we happen to pray for protection from demons/monsters.

A. K. This is what I wanted to vote. Others have voted for it, but it is still what I would have wanted to vote. :Þ

quote:

"Hear my prayer, oh Creator, and let my cry come unto You. Against You only, have I done evil. Judge me, oh Creator, by Your righteousness according to Your loving-kindness. Grant me mercy from what I deserve and grace that I do not deserve. Only by Your hand does good come. My iniquity takes me and, save Your hand prevent it, I perish. Create a clean heart in me and renew steadfastness. Wash me from my sin that You may look upon me.

By Your will alone: so be it.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 14, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

A. H.
By the Creator's will alone, Enkidel lives another moment.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

/
Thank both El firstly and then Ishamal for the cause of our life's continuance.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Pray to El to provide Ishamal energy instead.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Do NOT wake up.
Do NOT succumb to this illusion either.

Voting to become LUCID.

If Enkidel becomes lucid, he will not only stay in this dreamworld, but become it's master. As long as we're lucid, we will have a better handle on waking up if we must. If there is something in Enkidel's subconscious he needs to learn, this is a great opportunity. Do NOT let it slip!

E: Changed vote, posted. I guess we are lucid enough as it is.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 19, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Algid posted:

We're already lucid.

If we weren't the context of being presented with choices wouldn't make sense.
You have a point. I guess I was going for 'total lucidity' so we could dictate anything and all things within the illusion/dreamworld. Of course, there'd be a chance at waking or being easily woken afterward, but it made sense to me last night. :Þ

Changing vote to I.

say: "I love you, daddy."

I read a news article years back of a 2-year-old girl whose last attempts at communicating something to her mom was "I love you, mommy" prior to the mother beating the girl to death. I think this is quite possibly the most piercing thing Enkidel could say to Shushem, even if it's the Shushem in his subconscious.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 19, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

B. Thank Ishamal. Plus El.
D. Dream interpretation is a big deal.

Edit:

Diogines posted:

Does Tudiya know Shushem is your "father"?
I'm okay with telling Tudiya the truth. It may help part of the interpretation.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 21, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Tell Tudiya about the "Storm is Coming" and "Save for Years of Hardship" dream instead

Edit: Also keep eating. Gotta eat well if you want to be a big swole warrior.

I. Cut to the chase cause mother can't handle it.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

B. Willing to mention:

1. whales and every anthropomorphized being Enkidel "saw" plus this guy:
2. 3. All the insects and birds of this noisy forest have gone silent, as well as other creatures, when Ishamal's light was fading after the incident.
4. More distant and the chorus of the birds and insects seems a bit quieter while Enkidel was exploring the forest.

Above all: TELL THE TRUTH!

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

B. When lessons are learned early, they're easy to swallow. Show Danal it's good to be flexible and maybe he wont grow up with a "I'm the prince, so nyea!" pompous attitude.

Also, C seems a little "too soon."

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Tell me if this is even possible!

CUSTOM OPTION E
Start to walk back to the camp with Danal while he carries the monkey, with them in front. Sneak away from them and head back to the music alone. You are the HERO! This way, if you scream for help, you know Danal will hear it and get the adults faster.

F. If we're the cultured savage or beast-boy into civilized world, let the king's son play with animals.

Edit: New Vote Posted

OhYo fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 28, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

New Vote:

A. Heroes, now and forever.

F. If we're the cultured savage or beast-boy into civilized world, let the king's son play with animals.[/s]

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

A

but make sure that monkey stays in front cause if there's some death-force field, the monkey gets it first.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Tomn posted:

Speak a prayer to the Sky Gods (was it El? I forget) asking him for guidance. If no answer is forthcoming, attempt to communicate with the statue.

Let's see if we can get some info up in here before we do anything.
I'm in for this. Kneel and pray. Say:

"I deserve not greatness of my own from you or from these items if they can, but if blessings come to me, may it be a blessing of wisdom, that I may serve others in counsel. A curse against me would be shame, and pray to avoid this for your glory, not my own."

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

A Terrible Person posted:

Your thread is in dire need of an update, even if it's just to say you're busy.
Alrighty then. :v:

I'm okay with giving in to the dancing-urge for Enkidel.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Before you continue: Start with a prayer to El in guidance and wisdom. Try touching/picking-up/testing all the items, one by one. Touch only the miniature winged-humanoid statue (not the lizard one) or talk to it to see if it will wake up.

D. You want to experiment further with the other treasure, specify which.
If we're keeping anything, let's stay consistent with the color. We have a white flute, let's wear the white sandals and take the white cup.

Do not put on the sandals until we're off of this sacred ground.

Wake Danal and let him pick of one color.

(If we end up going back, TELL THEM E.)
L. no need to hide. Just wear what you can.

The statues of the angel-like thing and the lizard are breathing? They might be the rightful owners of this collection or maybe balance in conscience. They may be in dormancy for a reason. Waking them may cause them to bring more light to the situation, but may complicate things. I'm okay with waking the angel-like one if possible.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

1D
2D

Pththya-lyi posted:

H. Help him, of course! ... But only if no one is likely to get hurt. If Danal proposes or tries to do something dangerous, I explain why I can't support it, and if he persists, I tell Tudiya (or Keza, if he's unavailable).
4G. I try again because I am worried what Danal will become if he turns into a brat. But be a little empathetic about it, not pushy. "I used to do that too, till I found out how people react or felt afterward."
5B
6C
7C (with E as a close second)
8A
9K (Though I really like A and H)
10. Did I help Danal sneak out? B#1 Yes, I did, but only a few times and I took a sword I "borrowed" like Danal said to.
11B

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

1.K.Make it legal or if it syncs up with other votes, K+G: merging asking/arguing, mixing subjectivity with legalism.
2.Q music, but without getting drunk. Add O and pray to El about it too if it does not conflict. If neither works, I'd ask Tudiya with B, but that might be just my opinion.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Q. Be an advisor to Danal if that doesn't conflict. I'm cool with converting the Atharites to El too.
B. Ask Tudiya about slavendom. Get a straight answer from the top.
Ask: "What am I, in the city of Zepath, when I reach manhood?" not "Am I a slave?" cause we don't want to give anyone the idea. Maybe say "I respect you and wish well for Danal in his future and to serve Zepath wisely with important matters."

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

1CFG Tudiya, Zebanetha, Ishamal, be kingly, preistly and find out why Ishamal is trusted to do kingly duties and goes off for a weeks without warning.
2B El.
3B El.
4C If I had to pick one, Marnal, but it may not be best to pick favorites when they all represent good things.
5A We're a Zapathan now, may as well accept it.
6G Hold her on the chin and look her close in the eyes: "Heart first..." press Naomi's heart with the tip of your pointer finger "...then lips follow." Play hard to get and she will want more. Join Snarls Barkley and Danal and give her occasional knowing looks.

Diogines posted:

You know that Barkof commands the Mighty Men of Zepath, a position any man can claim by besting the previous commander, or winning a tournament should the previous commander fall in battle.
If we don't get buff, Danal better so he can take over for Barkof when the times comes. He's the one who likes playing with swords anyway.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

1: A. I want our relationship to grow, but slowly. I will keep spending time with her and hope things ... work for the best. :3
(Being like a brother to someone doesn't mean you're family to the rest of their relatives. :rolleyes:)

2: C. I want to talk to another person in my life for guidance. Who? Zebanetha, the high priest.
If we have time, we could also consult Paebel, the freeborn child of a debtor slave who's our age, and even Ephat, the beggar and flautist.

... I wonder if we have Labaras blood...

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Someone who laughs at us, and doesn't care about us has forfeited their right to hear the truth. Thus this is not a lie, but a withholding of what they don't deserve to hear.

B. You will talk to Naomi, but you lie to Ishamal, you will continue to try to have a relationship with her.

This is basically B+H.
Also ask this in just this way: "My main concern is not my relationship with Naomi or any woman, but my in improving my social standing. If you laugh at me, it is surely because of this. There may be little one such as I can do, but I am not one such as I, I am the only one who is me. How do I improve my social standing?"

Edit: Ask...

Why do you sometimes disappear for a week more without warning?
How did you become the trusted fill-in for Tudiya's duties as king?
Who was the king of Zepath and who was the king's fill-in before Tudiya and you?
From who or where do you find your standard in moral and lawful code? Is it preserved in anyway?
How does one test to see their concentration of Labaras' blood?

OhYo fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 6, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

I got a great idea: how about get on top of the house and see if we can...

Sogol posted:

C with a touch of D. We have been given a duty. We don't actually know how important it is or not in terms of random furniture, but it is clear we have been given a duty and Danal's safety is at the center of that. We can get as high in the King's home as possible in order to watch approaches and perhaps observe the battle. Tell Danal we need the height, here, in order to rain down destruction on anything that dares to approach the palace. We are the last line of defense. It will be hard, but we can do it.

No city walls. No leaving the palace. This is really important. We genuinely care for Danal and Tudiya. Putting Danal in harms way, fighting or even potentially fighting Minotaurs at age eight is a bad idea. Even if successful it will serve to distract the men actually defending the city. Danal needs to understand that staying here is an honorable, if difficult thing.
Okay looks like we've got that covered. Playing up "rain down destruction" defense is a great scapegoat option for Danal's excitement. I vote this.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

1B
2F
3A

5I "You know, Danal, we're not as mighty as the Mighty Men. This is more serious than adventures in the forest, we could be in real danger. If I say we have to come back, do you promise you'll come with me?"

Show Danal trust is a two-way road.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Let Danal have something to think about besides being there.

A little prayer doesn't hurt, even if Tudiya's got this.
This is my vote.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Sogol posted:

A. Caught up in the moment,

But recovering:

F say: I cannot stop you from going, but I promised your father so I cannot go. I ask that you stay here with me as a friend. I know it is hard. It is hard for me too, but I ask this of you as a brother and a friend. What say you?

And look to see if anything else is occurring at the edges of the field and other directions.
Voting this. Self-control and fidelity is a sign of greatness.

Edit: (I haven't had downtown NYC shawarma in over 7 years. Mmm.)

Edit2: My current vote here includes the following rationale: "Do what I promised, even if it means Danal will be unhappy and may eventually mean ill for me in the future. The honorable road is more important than the self-serving road."

OhYo fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 12, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

You see two men who seem to have taken spears in the back, probably friendly fire. One is being helped by other men, the other was left in the dirt and is very probably dead.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

=You scramble down the wall with Danal and see other youths already ahead of you, eager to claim the best trophies! They have had quite a head start, then again, it looks as if there will be a LOT of dead minotaurs this day...

1. Just how badly do you want to get up there?
C. I want to get up there quickly!

2. You are stronger, older, have longer legs and are significantly faster than Danal. Whatever pace go at, he is going to slow you down, quite a bit. You....
B. You are still quite a bit bigger than Danal, toss him over a shoulder and run for it!

3. As you close in towards area where the first minotaurs have died, you...
G. Tell Danal that a future leader needs to look to the needs of his men first before the needs of himself. Let's go help the men that got speared.
Voting this. I guess this is the best way to stay with Danal and help the wounded. Specifically ask the one man helping the others what Enkidel and Danal can do to help.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

Two men have taken spears in the back, thrown by the Zepathan men and intended for the minotaurs.

You make it to the first with Danal. The man is tended to by his friends. You move on.
Hey, are we still in earshot of the "Man's friends?" Can Enkidel ask: "Is there anything we can do to help?" We came all this way for that purpose, why not actually mean it?

Waiting on an answer before my vote, but may choose A. or H: Do what the friends suggest.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

You yell again. One of them yells back "WHAT? OH! NO!"
(Because there's punctuation between OH and NO, it tells me that it's the answer to the question, not an exclamation of shock from them realizing the other friendly-fired man was hit and died.)

What a mess, what a horrible mess. These men were so brave, yet here they are, fallen so short from their potential. I vote to shed a tear, because war in this world is a necessary evil and if there is any way for us to help comfort, it will likely be option A.
I spend the rest of my time here helping the handful of men who fell while running walk back to the city, by leaning on my shoulder.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

... If we must wrestle... :colbert:
1A I would prefer to use the staff mostly defensively. Sweeps, weight transfer, blocking and keeping others at bay comes before direct strikes.

2. B. Danal can decide for himself, but it'd be best if he's nearby.

3. I. End the scuffle, by force. Attempt to quickly garner support from Paebel and friends and/or individuals who don't seem to have a group. Climb the minotaur corpse to make your way to the head. Anyone fighting on the corpse could be easier to knock off balance with the staff. Use the staff to make a clearing near the head and stop the entire scuffle at least in that vicinity. Use this as an opportunity for a growing experience. This is no behavior of followers of El or heroes. Speak when you've beat their undivided attention out of them.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Enkidel got himself into this mess. He should take his dues with dignity.

F. Protect yourself as best as possible and stand the assault and pain. 100% defense, 0% attack.
Changing my vote for the express purpose of assuring more honorable actions are done.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Do to others what you would want them to do to you, not do to others what others have done to you. That's basically the sentiment I'd like to bring up for those vying for retaliation.