Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Sure throw an H on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
C
E

Really curious about that fire we hear. Coooooould be it's a sign of habitation.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

How would we get Uriah up to these floors again? Rope?

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

E

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Option 4

Personally, I haven't been voting more or less entirely due to the pace of updates. Not criticizing, the pace is what it is, but I don't have the time lately to take part in thread discussion, or to help develop plans of action, and with so little happening in each update it seems better to just leave it to those who do. Whether or not we go to level 4 or 6 or look at fire or look at water just isn't an engaging/important enough vote to keep me glued to the thread, so I'm just checking when I have the time.

I know it would have been a lot of writing, but I feel like a better approach, once we'd shown a willingness to explore thoroughly, would have been to lay out the results of a more thorough investigation, then let us decide whether we wanted to act seriously on any of them. Like, it seems like just one post could have said 'the El room makes noises when you touch words, the gate with fire behind it is real tough, there's gently caress all on the river level and the tubes make big when you look through them', rather than having that spread out over a month or whatever.

Still, as much as the pace is slow, I don't think it'll be a lot faster if we leave, and exploring more seems like just as good an expenditure of time as any.

Oh and also

Write down the sections of priestly script that produce intelligible speech when we touch them, along with the words that are said. Use them as a rosetta stone and learn to translate the priestly script.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

I

We should have made a priest-language rosetta stone from the speaking parts of the wall in the El-room.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Missed the vote but I hope the horse thing won. Playing up how much horses like us could be good for us. Kadmonim like horses, horses like us, something something something, Kadmonim like us!

Getting more 'in' with the Kadmonim seems like the best way to actually gain the information we seek, but it's not clear how best to do that. I'd really like to get into that forbidden area, but with Uriah around that doesn't seem likely to happen, even if we do manage to prove to the Kadmonim that we are alright.

I like Igal but I'm leery of taking him. For the same reasons I'm leery of joining a caravan. I'm worried that, much like on the death-march but to a lesser extent, speed will be important in avoiding threats. If we join a caravan we might end up bringing doom upon them when something big comes looking for us, and finds us due to our slow speed.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

D. No point in not even trying. Wanted to investigate that family anyway.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

FoxTerrier posted:

Yea but I feel like the disciples of Ashera threatening to make sushi their of enemies is just such a cliche.

(I mean, whatever he wrote has been deleted, but one has to assume it involved sushi)

Anyways, if you’re reading this Tsyni, I promise to vote for the most boring and El loving options in your name while you are gone. I know it’s what you would want. :sun:

I've already promised him to support Asherah's projects in his name for the duration of his absence, but the potential for furthering the hungry cause has been .... slim the last few votes.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

In light of recent events eg Acco, this actually seems accurate. Same with the big sacc at Gebek. Even though we were whispered instructions on how to do things, we still did it ourselves.

:thunk:

Ages and ages ago I wrote up a big rear end theory about this. My point was that El is unable to interact directly with the world without destroying it - anything that experiences El directly is obliterated - and that fact explains why Nephilim are so important. El wants to preserve free will, but can't personally act to defend it, nor can the Melachim, since they are bound by the purpose for which they were created. Men, however, are unable to wield the power of El directly, and thus unable to really respond to problems like Demons. Nephilim, however, have the capacities of Melachim (or more, since we're able to absorb and grow in Nephesh while Melachim can't) and the free will of men. Nephilim thus have the potential to freely act as conduits, channeling the power of El without destroying either the world or free will in the process. A Nephilim that freely gave itself over to El, like Labaras or, potentially, us, would thus be of incalculable value.

Labaras is sitting atop Mt. Har, channeling the power of El. Labaras has reached the limits of what can be channeled through him though. We need to step up and supplement, to chain the eternal hunger forever.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

A. Screw this guy and his horse, it's not worth it now. Let's just take one of the other leads. Running straight into a giant monster that nobody else around has been able to take down is exactly what we shouldn't be doing if we're trying not to use powers - we have no idea how tough this thing is going to be, and we're screwed if it turns out to be tough enough that Uriah needs to sling some words around. Not to mention I don't trust this dude at all. They're willing to give so much to deal with this, there's something he's not saying. We're going to get there and there's going to be some big snag that's going to cause us endless trouble, we'll end up debating whether to kill the sentient rhino-elephant who's just protecting its young vs. break our public deal with a powerful and influential blooded family or something.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Torn between a desire to punish Igal or praise him. Compromise in Tsyni's name.

Eat Igal He can be with his hero forever now.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Well, caught back up. Last couple months had me involved in a massive work project that just didn't leave the time or energy to keep up here, but now that's concluded.

I'm honestly surprised to see that people decided against continuing in the grasslands. It's understandable and not unreasonable, but weirdly nobody seemed to pick up on the Earthmother's priestess telling us that anybody at all powerful already knew we were here. That was a note that she was specifically told to tell us, and she even repeated it pointedly when we asked about battling the beasts in the grasslands. I absolutely read that as the Earthmother telling us to go ahead and use whatever powers we wanted, it doesn't matter if we 'light up' because everything that could possibly care already knows exactly where we are and what we're doing. Really surprised me that nobody else did.

Anyway, get out of the grasslands jerks. Though it does seem weird that Enkidel would have decided to go this far out of the way, in contravention of Ish's instructions, without a mention. I sure didn't get that 'returning via the south route' implied a long sojourn through unoccupied grassland.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, I've not said it was a bad decision, just thought it was weird that nobody made note of it, particularly since a big reason a lot of people wanted to leave was that we'd be stuck fighting things without using powers if we stayed.

And yeah, I know.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Ancient road to Baitshapash discovered. In 600 years when we're free to travel because Zepath has been consumed by the sea, yet still not allowed to fly or know the location of anything, we now know where to start our journey.

B

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Woah, stuff's going down.

Voting E, for the following reasons. My impression is that if we leave now, to question the girl or what-have-you, we probably won't be coming back the same way. We'll probably question her for a while, take our time, come up with some other plan, come in from the front, etc. Whatever we do, it will give the Nusku cultists here time to realise that we found and smashed their 'altar', and to start 'handling' the situation. Although there's not a lot in this courtyard, it's still the only concrete piece of evidence we have to back up the claims we're going to make about demon worship going on, etc. If we give the opposition time to clean it up, it's going to be our word against their's, and we're going to lose. It feels like this situation is either (a) Go big right now or (b) Go away, and I don't want to go away.

Although if there's a plan in the works that specifies taking the woman, getting better info from her, then storming right back in in some effective way, then sure, go with that.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe, but I think that the evidence of the chamber in the middle of the palace having been used for profane purposes (I believe, even having smashed the altar, that there is still the evidence of the woman having been held there, blood presumably on the ground, and the general state of the courtyard) is better. Even if the MM can do lie detection, if we just show up and say that this random slave woman is our evidence, they're just going to accuse us of being demons who have ensorcelled some poor woman into telling our story.

If we give them time to clean up the 'scene of the crime', or even just let them prepare at all, then they'll be able to make it look even more like we're just making everything up. I figure the only way we have even a chance of convincing anyone is by shoving it right in their faces, without giving them (any more) time to tidy things up. Surprising them and putting them on the back foot, with evidence that's right in the middle of their palace and not just walked up the street by a 'demon', has got to be the only chance.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

To me, leaving this as is just isn't what Enkidel would do. One way or another we have to stop this travesty. Since just busting down the gates and trying to murder everyone seems like a not-right vote, to me this seems like a vote on who we're confronting, and how. So what accomplishes the most, with the least downside?

Realistically we've got two options. Confront the king, or confront the high priest.

The king seems to have a good shot at maybe not being in on it. It's possible I guess that he just doesn't know everything going on in his palace, or has been told to look the other way when it comes to the dealings of the 'High King's' emissary, the Anaki. We could confront him, with a reasonable chance of it not going awfully, if we managed to get to him peacefully. Which is a big if. The bigger problem though is (a) he seems unlikely to believe us and, more importantly, (b) we can't tell him any of our evidence without admitting we've been bashing around his place, in secret. We know exactly how well that goes, and it goes bad.

So that leaves the priest. He's much more likely a scumbag who's in on it. If he's not though, he's perhaps more likely to believe us, and would be able to do something about it. If he is, he's likewise less able to pose an immediate threat to us. On the other hand, we can't really confront him effectively, unless he changes into a demon or something. Whatever the case, attacking someone who seems to be a duly-appointed priest of El is off the table. Still, it seems like maybe there's less to lose?

So I guess I'm voting Fb. I'm also okay with votes investigating the door or nabbing the Anaki, however.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

You missed my Fb vote Diogenes, not that it stands to make any difference.

Hope there's something cool in that storage closet!

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Plus the longer we leave this the more entrenched Nusku is going to get. These cities might certainly rise up on their own, but it will take longer, and each moment that goes by further cements Nusku's hold here. Barring spending a few more centuries getting stronger, this might actually the best chance we have to take out something like this. At this point, there's still a good chance of playing on the dissent and unrest among the blooded elite, and leading them against invaders in a tentative position. If this situation is left alone though, the position of the invaders gets stronger and stronger, and the dissent, probably, gets beaten down.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Mr. Nemo posted:

Are we convinced the Karnakys campaign would be easier? Thanks less zepathans would die? Do we have arguments to convince Dad? Otherwise he won't consent to giving us aid. If we had a freed city ready to go to war that'd be different.

Tudiya would never agree to sending Zepathans out here on a war effort, but he might be alright with us sticking around, because I think the answer to a bunch of those is actually yes. The ocean is bad bad news, but Nusku has traditionally been easier to deal with. So that's one point in favour of Karnakys being easier. Plus, with Kitron, only Zepath is available to deal with it, and only Zepathan forces (and those of Zepath protected cities) will be lost, whereas here, there are more cities than can be rallied to deal with it, and those that will be lost won't be Zepathan. You know, unless it ends in disaster.

Plus Kitron is destroyed and the ocean mostly just seems to be sitting there (ominously). There's little to be gained by pushing it back. Here though Karnakys is an active, major city being infiltrated, with tons of actually Urians in active danger. Here it's the responsibility of any upstanding Urian to fight, as it's always our responsibility to fight Demons and protect El's domain.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Smash the corrupt churches. Then smash all the churches. Replace the altars with statues of us that say 'El' at the bottom.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

So, I've been away a lot and aren't following things as closely as I once did. Nonetheless, here are my two cents.

(i) I think I've said this already, but just leaving without trying to do anything about this is madness. It's just not Enkidel, and if it is, then the character has changed past all recollection. Kill demons, save Urians, gently caress any politics that disagree. Nobody is in a better position than us to do something about this right now, and the longer it's left, the worse it will get. Maaaaaaybe once of the local kings will rise up on his own, but with what we know, we should at least give them a push.

(ii) On the topic of sneaking. Announcing ourselves, unless it's immediately prior to just curbstomping everything and everyone, is a ... not great idea. As I was saying in the last city, once our presence is known, the longer we take to act the longer they have to respond, and we lose all our advantages. Now yes, I admit, there are a lot of downsides to sneaking. Here's the thing though, those downsides come about when we later announce ourselves and end up stuck admitting to the whole sneaking thing. Hear me out though. I know this goes against all our gloryhound ways, but we could just ... not take the credit.

Say we just sneak in and scope these cities out. Say, while stealthing our way through the palaces and temples, we find a bunch of fire priests, jackass demon worshipers, or just people helping Nusku out. Then say that we just ... kill those people and disappear. We're really well suited for that, and while it may not solve the problem entirely, each agent we bring down weakens their overall power structure, and makes it easier for the conspiracy to be exposed, and for others to rise up. We could even leave convenient evidence for 'good' people to find, pointing towards Nusku. Plus if we announce ourselves later (without admitting to sneaking), we're in a better position to make a difference with all the interfering agents conveniently taken care of.

So basically, general strategy here: 1. Sneak into places, 2. find bad things, 3. make them go away, 4. disappear.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

I'm skeptical about how easily replaced these people can be. There are only so many priests and Nusku worshipers to go around, especially spread throughout a bunch of cities. Not to mention that many people are already suspicious and uneasy - with the troublemakers disappearing, even for a bit, those people might be more likely to act.

And really, the only reason we got in trouble in the last place is because we didn't act. We did just what I said we shouldn't. Instead of acting immediately to take him out, we sat around, questioned a woman for hours, then came back later knowing he'd been alerted, after giving him a bunch of time to respond. Had we just taken the Anaki out, we'd be in a much better position.

Anyway, I do think, if we can come up with evidence, that we should be sure to expose them as much as possible. The thing is, we don't need to be the ones to explicitly do it. Kill them, leave them laying around in the midst of a bunch of heathen idolatry, and let the people who find the scene work it out. We don't need to show up and proclaim that we're the great demon slayers who took care of their problems for them. Cause chaos for the Nusku sect and good things will follow.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

I thiiiink I'd also be in favour of just going straight to Karnak. I do believe that picking off lower level people would put a troublesome pressure on the Nusku agents, forcing them to expend more and more of their limited resources on replacing them, and exposing their unusual behaviour. BUT, take out the head of the pack and the rest will follow. If we go straight to the top and knock off whoever is giving the orders then, given our previous encounters with Nusku agents, the rest will flee this area as if it were (not) on fire.

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 27, 2019

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Tsyni posted:

I think the problem here is "find bad things". Last time we didn't commit to stealth, but when we did we found the victim of the blood sacrifice... Then we have to decide what to do with someone like that. I'm just skeptical Enkidel can just hang in the shadows and find everything bad, or most things bad, or commit to staying in the shadows.

I think we go in openly straight to the king. If weird things are happening then other people will have noticed as well. If we can convince the king that something worse is up and of our good intentions then we have a great resource who knows everything in the city. You're right in that one of the problems is once we're stealth then admitting we didn't come into the city in a traditional way makes Enkidel look shady. So let's avoid that here. Enkidel is basically an ancient hero at this point. I think rallying the city is worth a shot.

If we knew the high nusku priest was in some room in Karnak that we could just sneak into and murder and everything would fall apart then... Ok sure, but I don't think it's that simple. If Enkidel exposes this heresy then not only will this corner of Ur have their hearts filled with El (cringe) but they will know what to look out for in the future.

We also have... Whatever the girl is named who can give testimony to the demon poo poo happening in the other city, and can be mind read by the king of need be.

I want to be clear that I do see the appeal of just marching in and laying down the law. I thought that, once we discovered demon poo poo in the last city, we should have kicked open the doors and laid waste to the place. If we could go straight to the king and convince him, that just might work. I don't think it's a bad reasoning. But I don't think it'll work.

I think we should view this whole region as a larger model of the previous city. The moment we make ourselves apparent, Nusku's forces are going to begin to act openly against us, and they are more entrenched and more subtle than we are. If we announce ourselves, we'll spook everyone, make them go deeper into hiding, dispose of their incriminating evidence, weave stories and wield political influence against us. We're hunting Nusku right now, and if you make a bunch of noise on a hunt, it doesn't go well for you.

Going straight to the king puts all our eggs in one basket. If the king is receptive, If he's strong enough to lead his people against the High King, If Nusku's agents don't hide all the evidence in response to us coming out, and If the King isn't himself corrupted, then it might work. That's a lot of ifs. If even one of those things goes wrong, our chances are doomed.

If we could just get to the king in secret, without letting all of Nusku's folks know we were here, then maybe. But I don't think we can, unless we sneak in, which won't look good. What's more, our evidence right now is pretty shaky. Do you honestly think the King hasn't heard the rumours himself? He's not acting now, what are we going to say to him to convince him otherwise? What can we tell or show him, that will not only convince him, but will let him bring a strong case to his own people, and to the people of Karnak? We have one woman, whose only evidence as to her story was a wound on her hand that is already healed. As for mind-reading, Tudiya can barely do that, and I'm betting that the king of Larsa is no Tudiya.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Also we could just knock off the High King. We did it to an ox demon, I bet this new young king is no ox demon. High King falls, new less sketchy king takes his place. Maybe then, suddenly, a great hero of El arrives to tell the new High King what to look out for. Coincidentally.

We can't shoot him with the bow of course. But we could squish his head while he sleeps.

E. Oh but don't overly meddle with his head.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

1. F. As the only sneaking option, I'm going for that.
2. Don't care.

Honestly, I'd really like to try and spy on the king some. A lot of stuff would be easier here if we knew for sure whether or not he was in on it. If he's part of the conspiracy and we go straight to him, we're screwed. At least having a look around would help.

I don't mind D, aside from the problem above, and part of me loves L.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

If anybody wants to vote K and doesn't want to wait for Diog's update, let me handle that for you.

"Some people want to riot, but are nervous about it because this isn't Chorazin. A few people do riot - they are immediately slaughtered by the army of Mighty Men and their King who beeline straight from the palace to murderize you, a foreigner, for slandering them and stirring up trouble in their town. Maybe the king was sympathetic, but once you called him out in front of his people - which you definitely did by insinuating that his city had been taken over by cultists - he would have had no choice but to act publicly against you.

It goes without saying that, since you warned any and all cultists publicly of your intentions, no evidence to corroborate your story was ever found. Maybe you survived the assault by the King and his Mighty Men, maybe not. In either case, the Cohen of Karnark and, thus, the church of El roundly condemned your interference, and the High King banished you from the region, and sent formal envoys to Zepath to demand restitution for the slights made against him. Your father and Zebanetha were furious."

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Mr. Nemo posted:

OK, boomer.

K explicitly claims king Jaer (?) is pious and asks him for help.

Heroes don’t ask for audiences, they act. I’ve been wanting to speechifiy at awed masses for several IRL years, the closest we got was Chorazin, you are not taking this from me.

Edit: I don’t wand a drat riot in Larsa, I want the king to be “holy poo poo, THEY WRRE DENT BY EL” and the Anaki
To reveal his self for the worm he is. The second we start talking he is going to run. 90% chances. Once that happens we won. We don’t need to convince anyone he is a demon worshipper.

GO BIG OR GO HOME EL RULES NUSKU DROOLS

Fair enough that K doesn't say Larsa's been taken over, only that Karnak has. So I guess maybe the King won't murderize us for insulting him personally. Just for stirring up a riot in his city, for usurping his authority by speechifying to his people rather than going to him first, and for making him look bad by making it seem like he himself wasn't wise or pious enough to do this, but needed some foreign heroes to show him the light.

Imagine if some giant from Seir came into Zepath and started trying to stir up a riot about how Kavodel was full of demons changing El's traditions and Tudiya was too dumb to do anything about it. Imagine his reaction.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

I'm still for sneaking here, but I'm leaning more towards just heading straight to Karnak. I'm hoping that if we sneak in here, nab an Anaki or somebody in the know, and pump him for information, we might get a better lead on how to find the Anaki/High King in Karnak. More and more though I'm thinking, why waste time with small fry? Riling these guys up, or hoping for the million-to-one shot of leading them against Karnak, is just asking to get a lot of people massacred, and further weaken the satellite cities. Likewise, killing off Nusku servants in the satellite cities, unless we act really quickly, might just make the main guys in Karnak more cagey. If, instead, we head for Karnak right now, and cut off the head of the serpent while they're still not expecting us, we could cause this whole thing to crumble while maintaining the stability of the region.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Conjure up some flames along the blade of our sword for the kid.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Are we worried about being caught? If not, I'd reeaaaaaaalllly like to try and get a bit more intel on this king - by spying on him - before tipping our hand to him and announcing ourselves.

He's probably cool, but it couldn't hurt to be sure. Plus announcing ourselves at the gate just seems guaranteed to let any Nusku people know we're here. I'd be more partial to trying to arrange a secret meeting.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Crazycryodude posted:

We already know what happens when you secretly break into a city, clean out a cult, and then go back and announce yourself and tell the king you took care of that demonfucker for him. He goes ballistic that you 1) broke into his city and 2) made him look like a weak piece of garbage who can't even keep a lid on the demonfuckers and only doesn't rat to your dad because of broader geopolitical concerns.

Right, so like I said though, we just don't do that part. We don't need to go in and tell the dude we did it. We could just take the fucker out and let the King 'discover' the poo poo himself, or, if we must publicly involve ourselves, just show up and be all "Hey, champion of El here, something tells me you've got a demon cultist problem, and that you should check behind that door over there for proof."

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Can a B voter help me out? I have a really hard time understanding what the expected outcome is. What are you hoping for? Say we get in and talk to him - then what? We have nothing to show him, are we really just hoping that he goes "oh thank El, I've been sure something bad is going on but I've just been waiting for one big buff Zepathan to show up so we can do something about it!"

Cause I don't think he's gonna say that.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

hollylolly posted:

Obviously we have a witness with us.

That witness also has no corroborating evidence. If the King already suspects we're making up stories, he'll just think we've made her tell the same story, through sorcerous means or otherwise.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Playing to your strengths Enkidel, ignoring everything we've ever learned from every interaction with these Nusku rubes.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Mr. Nemo posted:

Are you complaining about B? You better be complaining about B

Of course! B for Bdon't vote for B.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

alpaca diseases posted:

“Of course she thinks she’s telling the truth, she’s been so throughly convinced of these absurd tales”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Just give 'em the same story we gave at all the other places during our trip. We're here to talk about demons and Jubilee poo poo.

I know some dude told us not to do that anymore but gently caress it it's mostly just an excuse anyway.