Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Unrelated to any discussion of action, I am absolutely amazed at the fact that our troops are referred to in-text as 'your Balls' in a completely serious manner and when I first read an update I don't bat an eyelash, but when I reread the update I inevitably find it hilarious and awesome. Whenever there's an adjective modifier to it, like 'Mighty Balls' or 'Strongest Balls' there is still a nonzero chance that I just start chuckling out loud. This has almost caused me trouble at work a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Josef bugman posted:

I was on one of my periodic times of being away from the thread but yeah Why the gently caress did people choose to kill the frog mum?

I don't totally understand what you're asking? Are you confused why Enkidel (A professional monster hunter) killed a monster after finding one? Because the answer to that question is 'because that is his literal job *and* hobby'. If your question is more, 'did we need to relish the victory and ham it up like an R-rated Cobra Commander' then the answer is probably not, and we should really make a policy of not acting like a bloodthirsty comic book villain.

I just really don't get the 'why did we kill that toad monster?' line of thought and want people to explain how we pitch 'Hey my Balls! Let's *not* kill this monstrous loot pinata' in a manner that sounds sane (even by Enkidel's standards of the word)

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

a cat irl posted:

We would have saved a bunch of kitten eggs and outfitted each of our men with their own personal defense kitty.

The only reason I wouldn't support that is because there is only one Enkidel, and if he's riding a giant animal into battle it's going to be Giant Snarls rather than a not battlecat.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
WOO WOO!!!! Enkidel is back boys!

QA

Save their souls, take the long, long walk ourselves with our loot and the knowledge that we have done a good deed. Weapons can be asked for. We actually had the opportunity to ask for weapons or aid before we left and we didn't. Using this opportunity to make a weapon that we could probably just walk up to Tudiya and ask for seems like a... weird plan. While we aren't sure what we're doing, I think taking this risk is better than taking any other risk, as far as consequences go. We tell our balls that we took the only choice we could and put them in El's hands.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

SerSpook posted:

I want loot that will kill demons good, this is a literal one time opportunity due to the preexisting mace we fashion it from.

Honestly, if we're going to make a weapon people should vote for making the mace into one instead of the 'spear, but sharper'. That seems like the stuff we can already get in Ur. I mean, the Shield Tudiya gave us was 'Shield, but harder', which while extremely powerful and useful lacks the coolness of 'God Club made from Ox-god's Vampiric Mace'.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Grognan posted:

Don't speak for El, motherfuckers. Silence means this is our decision and entirely our responsibility. Don't absolve your greed by saying "god didn't slap me upside the head when I thought about doing it".

I don't think we're speaking for El. We are being offered opportunity to do something that he implicitly is ok with. That is a condition for the miracle going through, isn't it? The whole 'revulsion' thing is about El's feelings on the matter, and unless he decides he doesn't like an idea he'll allow it to be done? We are being offered the ability to choose among many options, regardless of their tactical or strategic or cultural merits. All choices except for those he explicitly prevents us from doing are ok by him and we instantly know upon considering an idea if he's down. We are not interacting with a distant/uncommunicative God. We are interacting, in a very real way, with a conduit for Him and His power. We've got a coupon at the 7-EL-even and we can use it how we judge best, within his bounds of acceptable behavior. I mean, if we doubt this is El or a helper/Melachim then it's a lot dicier, but at this point I think it's passing the 'walks like a duck, talks like a duck' test for divinities.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Aight, between Diog and everybody else I've been talked out of plan QA. Changing my vote from QA to RC.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

NastyToes posted:

1.Q 2.A
I would vote P, but I have no faith in goons voting to return. Enkidel already phoned up a melachim to mercy nuke a city of thousands, I don't think they care if we mercy kill a few hundred.

Man, I didn't really think about Tanaach like that. I guess the circumstances were a bit different, in that people were literally exploding all around us and an angel was screaming in our ear to hurry up and agree, but he did tell us we were signing the death warrant for every still-living being (except those who were miraculously healed) in Tanaach, ourselves included. The joy of trying to choose the least wrong option, I suppose.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Diogines posted:

Minivote:

3. Do you want a preference based/ranked voting option for JUST this vote?
Option 1: Yes.
Option 2: No

No. I'm not really convinced that letting everybody go back and re-vote with rankings will change much beyond another day or two of people arguing whether killing them is holocausty or whether stasis is moral or whatever.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

UppaTree posted:

Okay, assuming that's what we did, it's time we level with the villagers...

"Your children are free of bondage. They, and their children, and theirs unto the final generation, shall never suffer as you have, . I wish that you could join them, but it is not so. In three months, a giant will return from Marduk. and any that remain here will surely suffer a fate far worse than death.

It is the lot of men to be free, to live for a time and then die - your lives are your own now, do with them what you may."

It's a bitter pill, but that's the size of it, tell 'em the score and go.

Simple, accurate, compassionate, and direct. I like it.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Waci posted:

This sounds like the important part.

Honestly, both parts sounded important. If people can't handle being civil to each other on the first vote I definitely don't want to see the kind of insults people would throw on the runoff. Having it be not close is certainly helpful though. At least now we get to tread some new ground!

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Mr. Nemo posted:

Can we have another vote to change 2 or 3 children for the village priest? I'm sure he has much more useful information for Tudiya to mindread out of him.

I'm absolutely positive that any moral goal we're trying to achieve by saving these kids is shot in the dick the instant we say 'gently caress some of you, we want this guy instead because of the small possibility that his giant-worship-addled brain has something we might find useful.' We're not saving these people because they could be useful, we're saving them because they're *people*.

Also, what information are you sure he has? Heretical information about their god that Tudiyah may very well kill him for having?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Isn't that just taking 20 on our speech check like diog mentioned? I don't think we were ever planning on stealing kids, just offering to take them.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I'm moderately worried at first and second's screams being heard/felt by folks already, and I think it's a big risk thinking that even sealing Gebek will go unnoticed. He may be locked up, but maybe there's some sort of demon snooze button that he hits every few days to let people know it's all clear? While I have no doubt spending some time wandering around and checking stuff out would be valuable, I wouldn't want to spend more than a day or two in Gebeb exploring/memorizing their architecture/tools. That's a lot of risk for an unknown level of return, and we've already learned quite a bit about things like bellows for forges, paper, pencils, that sort of stuff.

Also, we've been focusing a lot on the teleport operating on mass, maybe it operates on volume? What if we just ate a bunch of stuff we would otherwise leave behind (maybe not armor/metals)? Amber might taste like taffy! Delicious, delicious taffy!

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I'm pretty sure in my time spent talking about the vote I actually neglected to vote! I vote Plan Task Manager

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I brought this up in IRC last week, but I feel it bears repeating. When we get back to Zepath/Kavodel we need to find a way to invent Mighty Basketball. I need to see Tudiya versus Ishamal. My guess is that Tudiya has the better post game, but Ish is all mid-range jump shots and 3-pointers. Plus it would let our mighty Balls work out disputes the way El intended, through dunk contests.

Edit - Don't be a dick to Jael, guys. Whether or not he's pretending to be or actually is a doofus is no reason to act like a mean older brother. Plus, if we're nice enough we might be able to convince the him and the rest of the watchers/melachim to Ball against the Baitel squad in some sort of Space Jam scenario.

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 9, 2016

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

BlackJosh posted:

I am fully and totally behind this idea. A Mighty dunk would be a thing of wonder and beauty, glorifying the name of El with rim destruction.

Only the finest in blooded bronze rims would be allowed onto the Kavodel court. For prototype baskets Lefkandi can probably supply a wide variety of pots that we can start with.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

paragon1 posted:

Diog, have we used our invention of a pulley to create moving archery targets yet?

Because if we haven't we should definitely do that.

I'd probably sacrifice the basketball plan for an American Gladiators-style archery obstacle course. Having to make increasingly elaborate trick shots from a variety of stances and conditions while the targets move or people do things to distract you.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

TheCog posted:

I think all the sport discussion is stupid.

But I probably wouldn't grumble too hard if this happened.

I can recognize that a lot of my push for plan basketball was because I find the idea of Tudiya and Ish playing a 1 on 1 hilarious, and that other people may not find it quite so funny. Glad to know that Ur-ian Gladiators, Archery Edition was more your jam :).

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I wonder if Jael is Diog's inner voice as he reads all of our crap.

I suspect that Diog's inner voice is a hunger demon, screaming 'COFFEE FOR CAPYBARAS" for eternity. Jael is entirely too nonviolent.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I say we get a daughter this time. Ruth can talk about manly woman problems with her.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I suspect that people (and by proxy enkidel) just got back from a huge, worldview shattering trip where we almost died a lot, so we are really, really big on spending time with our loved ones. Even ahaz, our mighty accountant/foreman. I bet enkidel thinks of him as basically an alien being that he loves but can never understand. "You mean you... don't want to kill monsters while building our town? Oooooookaaaaaaay...."

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
B holy poo poo B

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
When it turns out that Uriah has been an asherah sleeper agent this whole time I'll feel super dumb.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Arkanomen posted:

Dude earned it.

I'd be interested in a secret trip to Barkof and his people. It's a real shame what happened and the state of animosity between Zepath and them is going to be an issue going forward. At the very least there should be some level of communication between the lands in the face of the demonic threat.

You're very quick to paint him in a sympathetic light when his behavior has done very little to earn it. The fact that he is Mighty doesn't give him a pass. I'm not particularly down on realpolitik'ing him back into anybody's good graces when he has shown no remorse whatsoever on joining up with Bareen the kid-snatcher, engaging in banditry, and generally committing open crimes against the people of Ur for what, approximately a half-century that we know about? I'd be much more comfortable sending some balls and shafts to offer him the pointy end of a sword.

MF_James posted:

LOL had this exact thought after the Diog post.

We are stronger than him (as is tudiya) and it will likely remain so, we will just have to have some father/son bonding time while we smite him in a 3 day battle.

Is it more or less honorable to be the one actually holding the full nelson?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Arkanomen posted:

Here's the thing. Ur operates of word of mouth. Not too long ago we were painted as the Cannibal King that commits terrible blasphemies against the good people of Ur and slanders the name of Labaras with our heresies.

What? When? By whom?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Arkanomen posted:

What do you mean, Haven't you heard?! The cannibal king of Kavodel feasts on the first born of very family in that cursed place and they worship him for it. Dogs are made priests of El and the Temple is lead by a demonic hound that speaks!

So you're... making it up then? in an effort to say that maybe Barkof is misunderstood? I'm not sure what this trying to communicate.

I'm not super interested by super-crazy people secrets when getting them probably involves alienating the (probably) not super-crazy people that have *not* tried to kidnap us.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Arkanomen posted:

Normally I'd agree with you, the problem is the crazy people usually have some nugget of truth that the sane won't give us.

Has this been true in the thread? The only person I think we've met so far that this could be construed to apply to is Amok, and I question how well you can compare to waking up a millenia-old god and him casually dropping lines about being a half-angel versus finding and buttering up murderous traitor so he *might* tell you *something* about *something* that we have no way of verifying.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Arkanomen posted:

Bareen, Ashael, Indor, Azzazel, Amok have all been "unreliable" agents that have given us glimpses before. Again, I'm not advocating visiting him directly and sitting at his table, more we should (and I guess now we can't) find out about him and his actions as best we can and, pending anything super horrible, we at least try to find out something from him or his subordinates.

It's just a dangling thread we haven't pulled. We have a lot more pressing matters, I just didn't want to lose it.

Fair enough. I don't think I could disagree more with your selection of people or with what they have done and the inferences drawn, but I find 'it's a dangling thread' more palatable than the whitewashing of what barkof did that you started from.

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 23, 2016

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Old Man Mozz posted:

this is the content I followed for

You and me both. Snarls is 100% best dog.

Question for the thread. Should we be working on a blooded bronze set of doggles/dog armor for him?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Even if the armor is too much, I feel we could invest in some fly doggles for him. He probably doesn't like the harsh sun in his eyes, and we could make lenses out of amber. Let's be real, that's probably the best purpose for it.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

the_steve posted:

Snarls is a lover, not a fighter.

Hence why he needs fly shades! And when he wants to fall asleep in the middle of something important his eyes will be masked.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Absurd Revolver posted:

We need fly shades for all our balls, not just Snarls.

I view snarls' shades as step one of our plan to fight back the storm through fresh threads. Our balls can be next.

Edit - Uriah needs a mighty pimp cane

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Man, I just wanted to make our dog goggles, I didn't mean to reignite the armor debate again. I don't think we should put snarls in armor, because I suspect anything capable of downing him without us having time to intervene would be bothered by armor, at least for now. When he sprouts wings or whatever we can revisit the issue.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Olothreutes posted:

No it's totally ok, we'll just explain to them why we can impose our will upon them in our super libertarian society, like how we tell Snarls he has to wear armor even though he doesn't want to.

Well, we can in fact order people who work for us to do what we tell them, just like we can tell our dog to do stuff. In both of those circumstances we are in a situation where we *can* tell people what to do.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Facebook Aunt posted:

Snarls isn't going to hang around and watch us talk to people about mining and metalsmithing. Someone has to keep an eye on the floppy ears.

This circles back to my suggestion that we forge him Doggles. That way he can pretend to pay attention to us and really just be sleeping.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Shhhhhh! which part of 'disappear' did you not understand?!

I say we all just pitch in for a huge bag of cocaine. That way Diog can answer all the questions, write six updates in an afternoon, and then probably go out and do free-range audits on passersby. Depending on how long the bag of coke lasts, we may only need to do this fundraising on a biweekly basis!

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Nyaa posted:

But who can teach us?

The one person who can teach us everything. Ishamal. Think of the sick moves he's learned in his time. He's probably holding the true secret of the electric slide.

(I'm still on board with 'forge Snarls some sweet Doggles' over dancing)

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
This woman's skeleton would be in a different zip code from her skin if literally any other mighty man had heard the stuff she has told us so far. She clearly means well, but is just... grossly negligent and blinded by her faith. We were told once that doubt could be a way to wisdom. This woman is clearly in the 'Blessed is the mind to small for doubt' category of belief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

FaustianQ posted:

Would it be expected for business to be conducted with a tavern? Would it be blasphemous to have a shrine of El inside a tavern, say within it's own room? Could a tavern have somewhat more permanent tenancy for it's residents, as a a more modern equal to a halfway house or lodge for seasonal work? Would the House of El flip out if such establishments encouraged if a tavern became a common place to gather for intellectual discussion or artistic competitions?

I'm thinking in Enkidel and Kavodelian tradition, we'd make the melachim priestess "tavern owners" when in fact they'd be the genesis of a college. I know, straining credibility, but it's all in execution.

I think that sort of 'gently caress you guy, its technically ok' only works on people who are not our boss/dad or our boss/dads friends.