Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Rhyno posted:

You jerk, there's an '89 for $800 just a 3 hour drive from here.

Do it! That's exactly how mine started but I talked him down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It looks pretty good but I'm just looking for a way to waste money I guess. Might shoot the guy an email later. He says it runs but needs work, don't have a tow vehicle anymore so getting back here would be a pain. Also my MS6 lives in the garage, don't know where I'd put it when I work on the truck.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
You can't go wrong with these trucks, promise!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My father suggested that I use his Tahoe to go pick it up and tow it back. I hate when my family enables me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well, shot him an email asking for more details. I don't really have a place to put this right now but I think I'd regret it if I didn't snatch it up.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3873122610.html

Thoughts? I was gonna run down there and offer him like $500.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

Well, shot him an email asking for more details. I don't really have a place to put this right now but I think I'd regret it if I didn't snatch it up.

..the gently caress is wrong with you? You're too scared to add a turbo to a miata but you think you can fix that? Stop looking on CL for cars, or at least find ones that aren't completely terrible. You'd only regret buying it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

..the gently caress is wrong with you? You're too scared to add a turbo to a miata but you think you can fix that? Stop looking on CL for cars, or at least find ones that aren't completely terrible. You'd only regret buying it.

Obviously you're familiar with my car buying history! And I've come around on the adding a turbo thing!

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Year the guts out and do a 5l swap

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Is it carbed? If so, those ones are junk. I would pass.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blindjoe posted:

Is it carbed? If so, those ones are junk. I would pass.

I asked him for more pics and he replied "imagine the standard engine with no air cleaner and oil everywhere." And "there's rust holes in the floor but nothing bad, you can see all the rust in the pics." So he's too lazy to work a bit to sell his truck so I will indeed pass. Just a fun idea really.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I asked him for more pics and he replied "imagine the standard engine with no air cleaner and oil everywhere." And "there's rust holes in the floor but nothing bad, you can see all the rust in the pics." So he's too lazy to work a bit to sell his truck so I will indeed pass. Just a fun idea really.

If it had an aircleaner at somepoint, thats a carb.

Otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blindjoe posted:

If it had an aircleaner at somepoint, thats a carb.

Otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned it.

Oh I know, he just was too lazy to take pictures of the engine for me. And if that's missing I imagine other things have been removed.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
update: I finallly got an alignment. geeze louise, I put up with that for a long time. Anyways, more money will be spent on the truck soon as I'm $740 left on the new mountain bike that i posted earlier. I also moved into my own place, so that was a cash sucker, too.

Trucks are the best!

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

2/3rds of a teenage dream complete. The other third was to go out west and spend some time in Kelowna, Vancouver and Victoria. I'm not quite there yet, but soon enough.

put new tires on the rear, as they were direly needed due to my... sliding habits.

soon I'll but putting money aside for the truck again, just maintenance items to make it the best it can be till the swap.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I'm looking at a 91 B2600 for my winter vehicle. I'm going to look at it next week. What is the quick and dirty that I should look for? Evidently, the PO went through it and completely redid motor and body/frame. It "looks" pretty nice from the ad...but we know how that goes.
TIA.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BUMPING YOUR THREAD

What's parts availability like on these? A friend and I found a b2600i 4x4 for super cheap and are thinking of picking it up as a "fun" truck.

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

Ah, I'd love to work at Bombardier. I'm not far, either. Orangeville. Nice little truck you've got there.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Larrymer posted:

This made me :lol: pretty hard. I could just hear it in my head, out of the blue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ignoarints posted:

This made me :lol: pretty hard. I could just hear it in my head, out of the blue.

To be fair I haven't regretted any of my car purchases to date.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Ignoarints posted:

It helps to read the thread. Even more so if you can get from start to finish.

Rhyno posted:

To be fair I haven't regretted any of my car purchases to date.

Thats because you never buy anything, just sperg over it. How many years did it take you to get that Miata? Two?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

West SAAB Story posted:

It helps to read the thread. Even more so if you can get from start to finish.

Thats because you never buy anything, just sperg over it. How many years did it take you to get that Miata? Two?

Never buy anything? I've owned 8 cars in two years! And when I finally said yes that I was gonna buy a Miata it took all of 3 months.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Rhyno posted:

Never buy anything? I've owned 8 cars in two years! And when I finally said yes that I was gonna buy a Miata it took all of 3 months.

Sorry, I should have specified. Running and/or fixed properly after purchased. If I included churdmobiles I've had, that'd give me, uh, and extra two in the last three years, myself. When did you start considering your car, again? How many months before purchase? :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

West SAAB Story posted:

Sorry, I should have specified. Running and/or fixed properly after purchased. If I included churdmobiles I've had, that'd give me, uh, and extra two in the last three years, myself. When did you start considering your car, again? How many months before purchase? :v:

Everything has run fine except the SHO ya jerk!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Rhyno posted:

Everything has run fine except the SHO ya jerk!

I think I'm going to start a new line of shades. "Rhyno Rose" tint starts out free. :2bong:

</derail>

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ignoarints posted:

Rhyno needs tough love because he's unable to make competent decisions on his own. But enough about him. Any updates?

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Life update, because I've only been beating up on the truck more and not maintaining it:

This truck gets used, man. Moving myself, moving other people, mountain bike taxi... but mostly, adventure.

In Sept, my contract building Cl300/CL350 wings for bombardier @ MHICA ended a month before I was to become an employee. A whole bunch of people got laid off or unfair contract renegotiation's and the place turned into a ghost town. I do not have favorable views of Mitsubishi anymore. I think the first thing i did when they told me my contract was up early was put my mountain bike in the back of the truck and went straight for the don valley trails. No regrets. Being newly unemployed and still flush with money I said "gently caress it" and loaded a canoe on the top of my truck and my camping gear and went into Algonquin park for a week solo.

Before my clandestine trek into the woods, I took care of the business and updated my linkedin profile. Doing just that is what lead to a fantastic and positive interview last week for a permanent structures mechanic position in Quebec City with a national level AMO. They're willing to work with me towards my S licensing, too! I'll receive a job offer by weeks end, If not next week. I should be working on airplanes again by months end, and it couldn't have come sooner because I'm broke and growing tiresome living off my parents again.

poo poo wrong with the truck still:

There's air in the hydraulic system, or something far worse. I had the master cylinder replaced, even. The clutch and brakes go to the floor (the clutch pedal won't return, either) and require pumping/double tapping on a regular basis. I suspect the ABS light coming on once in a while has something to do with it. I've had no money or space to fix it, though :( I finally got bitten by this lack of hydraulics and put a nice dent in the tail gate backing up. the result is a buggered up hinge enough that the gate won't open now. i broke the plastic latch in effort. gently caress. I'll have to order a new tailgate or find one in the wrecker.

A stone got flicked up off the road and broke the face of one of the lights, replaced both with silver housings. The potency went up up up but I accidentally touched the glass of one of the halogens swapping housings and it died a a few weeks ago.

I tried applying some duplicolour roll on bedliner but then it got rained on overnight and wrecked it. Messy stuff, I tell you. I bought another kit and will try again in nicer weather/have the workspace. At least I have all the supplies required to do body work and the bedliner saved up. I won't be using much bondo though, I prefer rivets and clean material if that gives you any hints to where this is going.

I've learned the Scandinavian flick in the snow we've had dumped on us recently in Onterrible. Much fun, indeed!

There's been two instances where it wouldn't start, but started the next day. :S

TL;DR: life challenges getting in the way of fun stuff, but positive things have happened and I'm sure as gently caress not letting a corporate giant stop me from achieving my AME license and being around aircraft. Nor am I letting life beat me down. I look forward to when I'm able to pull this thing off the road and really tear into it like I want to.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Got the call today; Looks like I'm moving to Quebec City to work for these guys, Specifically DATS: http://www.discoveryair.com/

At least this place will contribute towards my S licensing. :signings:

you can expect a few pictures from in the hangar sooner or later.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Made it to Quebec city! Toronto tried to kill me on the way though. Person two in front of me on the 401 spun out and I got hosed.
I was more then wise to have replaced the master and slave cylinders before leaving into, thankfully.

Had to swap lights at a gas station to keep going, lost the heater for a bit. the rad support is hosed, rad hoses kinked and a blade or two is missing now. Not really a problem till spring but I'm lucky its not worse.

This is my new home!

They put me to work right away, too.

FullMetalJacket fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 3, 2014

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 3, 2014

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Sounds awesome dude.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Sorry, its a bit difficult doing this from my phone... Fixed it.

I'm planning on leasing a new vehicle in a few months and stuffing this thing somewhere proper. I want something with utility, reliable and 4wd. Quebec city gets snow like a motherfucker. So many options though with theses requirements, any suggestions?

FullMetalJacket fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 3, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Subarus, always Subarus. Sorry you got smoked on the highway. Is insurance taking care of you?

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Nope, only have fire and theft coverage. Aka hosed. Ontario rates are stupid because I have a careless driving, following too closely demerits on my driving record plus a few speeding tickets. Had my drivers license suspended two years ago, chalk it up to stupid youth and bad luck.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Even if you just have liability surely the other driver's insurance will pay ouhahahahaha nobody in Quebec is licensed or insured.

Sorry dude. Glad you're ok.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Poor truck! Glad you're alive!

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
You and I both! I'm still shocked I'm here at all considering the driving conditions between Toronto and Quebec City last Sunday were some of the worst I've experienced. Especially since I did it on all season tires, with an accident and one headlight. I laughed in hysterics when the heater decided to come back

I really want a scooby, I see lots of rex's and Sti's around with mudflaps. Yet, I can't have 2 projects and a student loan to pay so best to go brand new and not have to worry or commit long term to a vehicle.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
B2200 enthusiasts -> http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4316622107.html
I finally get it nearly as sorted as I wanted, and I need to sell it.

Sorry that yours is broken. Luckily the front end on these aren't very sturdy, and you can punch it all out easily.
Or you can buy a sweet red one.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Solid trucks - mine has been shuttling me to and from work for the last while without a fuss. Only problem being the high idle sticks on sometimes (carbed, yay) and makes me seem like a retard at red lights. Being fixed tomorrow, god damnit.

^^ That red one is clapped out. Buy my grandpa grey one with half the KM, 5 speed, box liner and cap for a mere $1500!

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
This one has cost me enough, and been too great a service to be past the point of no return. Its either I go hog wild with it or it goes for scrap. Its a point of pride now, having resurrected it from the junker in the first place. Buying another one doesn't really sit well. I'm sure holdbrooks gets this feeling with his too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Lovely winter day here in QC!

Life update/attention whore post: signed the lease to my apartment today. Its nice.

300 less then my apartment in Toronto, utilities and modern appliances included. I'm now one step closer to obtaining shop space to work on my technical projects, next step will be collecting parts and tools because my aircraft tools don't like dirt.

Might as well rename this thread "automotive sanity" because I'm getting my life together before committing myself to going crazy with the truck. Haha!

• Locked thread