Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

tarlibone posted:

According to Nerdist, the return of the Venture Bros. is on the horizon! Wait... there will still be horizons in late 2018, right?

This is the only show I can think of where I have to go back and check whether a 965-day gap between seasons is the longest we've had to wait or not (it is, by about a month).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
At this point, I don't call it "waiting". I subscribes to news site likely to announce a new season and then forget about it. I start "waiting" once the creators announce something tangible at a con or whatever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

twistedmentat posted:

I love his intro in the attack on Spider-Skull Island, where the henchmen are already pretty much defeated, he comes in and head shot and executes them all.

Accccctiooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!!!

Action Man seems like former OSI, they're all about the experimental drugs and executing people on a whim.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tarlibone posted:

It's not even breathing hard yet.

:yeah: to 80s movies

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Inescapable Duck posted:

Action Man seems like former OSI, they're all about the experimental drugs and executing people on a whim.

He's supposed to be Captain America i thought.

Also, in Kingsmen The Golden Circle they refer to a character as a Lepidopterist, which has to be a Venture Bro's joke.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

twistedmentat posted:

He's supposed to be Captain America i thought.

Also, in Kingsmen The Golden Circle they refer to a character as a Lepidopterist, which has to be a Venture Bro's joke.

You want to see my stamp collection?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Cloks posted:

Only if we were philatelists.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Post your favorite shore leave scenes for no reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySEPkQUIOVM

ENH! double-up ENH! ENH!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Vanrushal posted:

Only if we were philatelists.

Which we aren't, Mister Smart Guy.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Tatsuta Age posted:

Post your favorite shore leave scenes for no reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz6LcFFi5as&t=31s

NYEH!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cloks posted:

This is such a great exchange.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

This is such a great exchange.

If that exchange were a woman, I'd marry it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

tarlibone posted:

If that exchange were a woman, I'd marry it.

And I'd jeopradize our friendship by nailing your hot wife.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
https://youtu.be/nnRIyPDyEuM

Ta da! Genital Formalwear!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
what he's doing here is much worse than crafting fine schumps...

even if you could pull that trigger, you totally wouldn't want to

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You know, it seems like the OSI are actually kind of crap at their jobs, taking the long view. If getting slightly better under Hunter Gathers.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Wasn't that the point of Hunter leaving then coming back to OSI? They had essentially become complacent with the hero/villain relationship going through these covert motions just to let millionaires with daddy issues play cops & robbers.

So he took over sphinx to stop actually dangerous crazed lunatics who weren't simply playing Guild/OSI games. Then after retaking the OSI and righting the ship, Gathers sets upon actually killing the Guild leadership and dismantling their apparatus.

He's basically an idealist who became disillusioned with bureaucracy overtaking a security and intelligence agency that used to save the world on a daily basis, and decided to go triple agent to right things.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I gotta say that as much as I absolutely love Hunter, it always kind of irked me that such a lynchpin of the plot was based on the least original character in the show.

Everyone else is like a pastiche of character traits but Hunter is literally just "Johnny Depp from F&L in Las Vegas but trans". He's a great character with great lines and he fleshed out Brock very well, but for show that hinges off of "taking famous characters and flipping them on their head", they really just kind established who he is and how he talks and then he just double crosses everyone in the show systematically (except Shoreleave).

revolther
May 27, 2008
True, he is an obvious shallow parody of HST's narration who quite often blurted out drug-fueled conspiracy theories about the government and often claimed to be a spook or government agent to gently caress with people and avoid repercussions. Him being a spooks spook feels kinda like an okay play on that.

It did sorta pull the show away from the "Johnny Quest of the New Wave era" vibe the show has at its heart, but in that vein it also ties together the 80's adult rusty with the 60's childhood rusty. They needed some pop culture/counter culture icons that spanned the time frame, but wouldn't upset their depeche mode loving souls, so Bowie and Thompson seem perfect in that regard.

Buddy Holly & the Big Bopper on the other hand? That didn't seem like a fit at all.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't worked Art Bell into the show as a reference or something. Doc & Jackson seem like the kind of guys who soaked up weirdo media growing up and just squeeze it out into the scripts.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

revolther posted:

So he took over sphinx to stop actually dangerous crazed lunatics who weren't simply playing Guild/OSI games. Then after retaking the OSI and righting the ship, Gathers sets upon actually killing the Guild leadership and dismantling their apparatus.
I would strongly argue the idea that Hunter has been any kind of efficient ever since he became the head of the agency. He's been more aggressive, but the Sovereign still caught on rather easily and burned down the house. Hunter's rear end was saved by Killinger and those few members of the Council who were smart enough to escape both the OSI's surveillance and the Sovereign's thinning of the membership.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bust Rodd posted:

I gotta say that as much as I absolutely love Hunter, it always kind of irked me that such a lynchpin of the plot was based on the least original character in the show.

Everyone else is like a pastiche of character traits but Hunter is literally just "Johnny Depp from F&L in Las Vegas but trans". He's a great character with great lines and he fleshed out Brock very well, but for show that hinges off of "taking famous characters and flipping them on their head", they really just kind established who he is and how he talks and then he just double crosses everyone in the show systematically (except Shoreleave).

He's not a Johnny Depp cover, he's directly a Hunter S. Thompson homage. Johnny Depp's portrayal is probably the closest anyone will ever get to the real thing. Hunter was also introduced back in the early seasons when they had more direct copies of real life things like the groovy gang and most of Monarch's prison gang was a direct copy of an existing villain. Dr. Septapus, Mr. Monday, and King Gorilla etc. all have real comic contemporaries.

They do these things all the time. Take the doom factory episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtWIK9wZUhM

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The point I was trying to make is that all your examples have their own spin on the character's personality, Hunter is just already fully formed because there is no 'take' on HST, he just IS HST.

Like Rusty is Dr. Quest, but he's selfish and greedy and totally self-absorbed and a terrible father, that's all amazing characterization that doc and Jackson added.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rusty is grown up Johnny Quest. His dad was Dr. Benton, Quest. That's the basic premise of the show. Boy adventurer grows up and has kids while failing to grow out of his father's massive shadow. Rusty isn't even a real doctor.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I'm pretty sure action johnny is grown up johnny quest

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well i mean literally, but we're talking figuratively.

revolther
May 27, 2008

X_Toad posted:

I would strongly argue the idea that Hunter has been any kind of efficient ever since he became the head of the agency. He's been more aggressive, but the Sovereign still caught on rather easily and burned down the house. Hunter's rear end was saved by Killinger and those few members of the Council who were smart enough to escape both the OSI's surveillance and the Sovereign's thinning of the membership.
I don't think efficiency and government agencies go hand in hand for comedy shows, but prior to Hunter OSI and the Guild were just hitting the ball back and forth to each other while apparently the Guild was undermining OSI from the inside. Now theoretically OSI is clean of moles and the two agencies are actively at war with each other at least.

Bust Rodd posted:

The point I was trying to make is that all your examples have their own spin on the character's personality, Hunter is just already fully formed because there is no 'take' on HST, he just IS HST.

Like Rusty is Dr. Quest, but he's selfish and greedy and totally self-absorbed and a terrible father, that's all amazing characterization that doc and Jackson added.
I think you're missing a couple beats, the essential gist of the show is a cynical realistic look at an idealized fictional setting. It's like when you hit adulthood and suddenly realize your Uncle Jerry was actually just some guy your mom hosed when your dad was on hunting trips. That kind of looking at it all through new eyes mindset that maturing, growth or therapy sessions give you.

Jonas is Dr. Quest but looked at through a more cynical/realistic lens, he is the selfish, greedy, totally self-absorbed and terrible father. Anyone who drags their kid around the globe to dangle over lava pits solely to further his ego and career is a terrible father.

Rusty is the psychological mess that being raised by that turns you into. Rusty is basically an amalgam of the negative qualities of his only parent, plus his own pathos and inability to succeed. Raised in the shadow of his father's perceived greatness he realized A)greatness was a dick when the cameras weren't on, and B)he could never achieve enough to earn his father's love, a love he eventually resented, and he can never achieve enough to eclipse his father, so he half-assed it coz as a child celebrity he could get away with it.

Now as an adult he is basically that line from Breakfast Club, "you were just feeling sorry for yourself; yeah well if I didn't nobody else would."

You look at his actions, they are mostly done with "good intent". Good as in, he's seen worse and a "holy-poo poo-it's-made-of-orphan-parts" level of terrible is pretty common in Super Science communities, so it's not really that bad, kinda "good intent".

Operation PROM: Rusty throws his sons a prom, a nice gesture.
Reflecting upon his own terrible prom, an embarrassing night ended alone with his robot while his father bangs 6 Dallas cowboy cheerleaders, Rusty feels like he's committed a good deed, breaking the cycle not being his dad, and immediately decides to reward himself, how? Why ironically as hell of course by acting exactly like his father. Down to the number.

Rusty's bodyguard woke him up every day with the click of a pistol barrel pressed against his head, "Not today Rusty." Rusty's father regularly let him nearly die.
Brock risks death to save clones of the boys. Rusty's made clones of the boys so that they literally don't have his same childhood traumas. He doesn't however stop dragging them on adventures, tries to break the cycle but remains just like his dad.

Sure Hank & Dean see Brock kill men in brutal fashion, but Rusty was forced to kill men as a child on multiple occasions as a rite of passage.

Rusty hires a baby sitter to go out and hit on women, Jonas had swinger key parties and just locked him in the basement to play, essentially using him to help bed Dr. Quimm's mom.

Sure Rusty won't care when a class full of interns is mutated beyond belief, but he didn't go out to do it on purpose with malice, it's just because he's his own worst enemy.

Oi, I'm done over-analyzing cartoons now, this is embarrassing.

edit: Hah, I thought it was a big enough cliche played out in TV/Movies/Life that the joke wouldn't come up. Maybe it's not as common as I thought, people oblivious to behavior patterns then when it's revealed someone was a problem gambler or hiding whatever, all the tumblers fall into place and the behavior is suddenly all too obvious. Closest I ever had was realizing a family friend died of AIDS not just "got real sick".

revolther fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 24, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

revolther posted:

I think you're missing a couple beats, the essential gist of the show is a cynical realistic look at an idealized fictional setting. It's like when you hit adulthood and suddenly realize your Uncle Jerry was actually just some guy your mom hosed when your dad was on hunting trips. That kind of looking at it all through new eyes mindset that maturing, growth or therapy sessions give you.

Is there something you want to share with the thread?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sataere posted:

Is there something you want to share with the thread?

Is there a back taxes equivalent of fathers day gifts

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I was thinking more that the OSI tend to be portrayed as a bunch of bumbling fascist thugs with unlimited authority who casually murder people for stumbling on secrets they don't put much effort in hiding. SPHINX at least used the memory eraser, albeit a bit too liberally. (Reminded of how Gravity Falls had use of a memory eraser portrayed quite rightly as horrific and easily abused, especially by people who use it on themselves) While the Guild is by comparison professional and outwardly friendly, if a bit too caught up in red tape.

Which, given the footage of the Pyramid Wars is a montage of war crimes to a spoof of the GI Joe theme song, is probably entirely on purpose.

Being unfamiliar with Hunter S Thompson's public image (Closest I got is reading Fear and Loathing and Transmetropolitan) I find that Hunter Gathers fits perfectly into the Venture Bros world as someone who's insane and paranoid enough to usually be right about the crazy poo poo that's happening constantly.

Going on with the above post; the OSI seems to be a cynical/realistic view of SHIELD and GI Joe (given GI Joe were a lawyer friendly modification of SHIELD in the first place...); basically the CIA and general American security apparatus but even more unaccountable, brutal and power-mad, and it doesn't really help that there are legitimate threats to the world they have to deal, especially when it literally takes a rogue operator to actually start paying attention to them rather than focusing exclusively on their PR-friendly feuds.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

This is the only show I can think of where I have to go back and check whether a 965-day gap between seasons is the longest we've had to wait or not (it is, by about a month).

It's the Hunter X Hunter of cartoons.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Larry Hama created GI Joe's backstory from a shelved SHIELD idea he had. So its not a "lawyer friendly version of SHIELD", it was just renamed because Marvel was always involved with GI Joe and its development.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This show always had good duos.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Can we admit now that killing 24 was a mistake & in no way worth the meandering Gary character arc that ensued

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I like him paired off with the monarch instead of just being one of the drones. 24 was great too but they tapped the well of "just two guys in the monarch's army" pretty good.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Yeah, I dunno, 24's death set up a lot of the best dynamics in the show today. 21 pairing up with the monarch is worth it imo, but also 21's growth from incompetent man baby to a serious player required 24 to die. Monarch slumming it with 21 freed up Dr. Mrs. Monarch enough for her character to grow out of her second banana position. And if 24 hadn't died in that particular way, then Brock wouldn't have been set on the paranoid path that led to him joining Sphynx.

But man, do I miss that Everybody Loves Raymond voice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I wouldn't be disappointed if the monarch recruited henchmen again (maybe as the blue morpho?) and one of them ended up being 24's brother and sounded like raymond's brother on that show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kramer Henchman.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Part of the reason they killed 24 is doing his voice was extreme rough on Jackson and if they're going to have gary bantering it's easier to banter with his monarch voice.

You gotta remember that most of this show is just Doc and Jackson sitting around bullshitting with each other.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Part of the reason they killed 24 is doing his voice was extreme rough on Jackson and if they're going to have gary bantering it's easier to banter with his monarch voice.

You gotta remember that most of this show is just Doc and Jackson sitting around bullshitting with each other.
doing robert's voice is way easier than raymond....for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i dunno why they just didn't hire ray romano, its not like he was doing anything for a decade after raymond ended