Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

twistedmentat posted:

I cannot only be me, but does the new Spider-Man animated show remind anyone else of Venture Bros?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gihocc_ObBA

other than spiderman kinda sounds like dean?

but yeah it seems to have a pretty similar animation style of the recent seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

twistedmentat posted:

I cannot only be me, but does the new Spider-Man animated show remind anyone else of Venture Bros?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gihocc_ObBA

Peter sounds just like Dean Venture. Same voice actor?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well Manicured Man posted:

No. Robbie Daymond is the voice of spiderman. Michael Sinterniklaas does Dean Venture.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Well Manicured Man posted:

Google is almost two decades old my dude

revolther
May 27, 2008
Not really at all. Like I get that the limbs of the characters seem to have the same exaggerated gangliness and proportions but I don't see it.

I don't know what other animation nerds get into, nor do I imagine to be on their level, but while I see some comparable aspects, not really. The backgrounds have the same sort of tinge put on them but lack the design or character. Like in venture bros it seems in the backgrounds that they don't fall out of detail, like they try to capture the old concept of painted backgrounds with animation on celluloid above, but the backgrounds don't lack definition. They even have a purposeful drag to make them seem old, like a painted background where they used a trowel or something to scrape certain colors down into darker tones to add a worn feeling.

I don't know, it's hard to describe as I'm not an animator. Like I understand that maybe it's a similar aesthetic but in motion it just looks night and day different to me. Like in that clip the animation and background are used to contrast each other, the background is always made to be dull to highlight the action, and while the venture bros is guilty of that 60's/70's style fuzzy background they don't hide behind action. Most of the shots are big background set pieces the characters are acting in front of for small gestures and speech then cutting shots detail the action.

I dunno, maybe I'm dumb and high and wrong.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The design work on the background details in Venture Bros. is incredible. Almost everything is sourced out of old architectural journals and Sears catalogues and poo poo. I love it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Here is a trailer for the book. It seems like it might actually come out?

http://nerdist.com/trailer-for-go-team-venture-the-art-and-making-of-the-venture-bros-exclusive/

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

business hammocks posted:

The design work on the background details in Venture Bros. is incredible. Almost everything is sourced out of old architectural journals and Sears catalogues and poo poo. I love it.

I had no idea. Can you go into more detail?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What season is this show on now? Have I missed anything since... poo poo, I can't even remember what was happening when I last watched this. The last thing I remember is Jonas Junior died. That was like two and a half years ago, there must have been a few whole seasons since then, right?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Entropic posted:

What season is this show on now? Have I missed anything since... poo poo, I can't even remember what was happening when I last watched this. The last thing I remember is Jonas Junior died. That was like two and a half years ago, there must have been a few whole seasons since then, right?

You've only missed Season Six, which aired last winter. Rusty inherits Jonas Jr.'s VenTech empire and moves the family to NYC.

Of course, that's eight episodes total, because the hourlong All This and Gargantua-2 special counted toward the episode order, and Doc and Jackson failed to account for that in planning the season. Don't expect a satisfying conclusion. What's there is really good, though!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

JethroMcB posted:

You've only missed Season Six, which aired last winter. Rusty inherits Jonas Jr.'s VenTech empire and moves the family to NYC.

Of course, that's eight episodes total,
lol of loving course

quote:

Don't expect a satisfying conclusion.

The motto of this series.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Entropic posted:

lol of loving course

A testament to the show is that they still introduce great characters like Red Death and its amazing how refreshing the change in scenery was.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's still really goddamned good. Lots of character arc stuff, amazing moments, cool/funny/weird new characters, great music, great design...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Entropic posted:

Well, it's especially frustrating in this case because - mild spoilers - this was the first time VB went all-in on serialization. There's a fully realized, season-long A-story arc that manages to be integral to the plot of each individual episode; meanwhile, pretty much every character gets their own storyline. Sometimes their story is the narrative thrust of an episode, and sometimes they're relegated to a quick cameo and a punchline. The big throughline story builds and builds, the characters are growing and heading toward their individual destinations, and right when it feels like the dam's about to break and everything is going to come to a head...you get a good, pretty normal episode, and the season is over.

Doc and Jackson have said, in so many words, that next season's premiere could wrap up the Big Story. They've considered doing another hourlong "special" to close it out and tide people over until the next season is completely finished.
Which would cut into their production order, and probably result in this exact situation, yet again.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Venture Bros is powered by the soul of a forsaken child, isn't it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kesper North posted:

Venture Bros is powered by the soul of a forsaken child, isn't it.

I mean, it might be. Kind of. They didn't use the whole thing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JethroMcB posted:

Doc and Jackson have said, in so many words, that next season's premiere could wrap up the Big Story. They've considered doing another hourlong "special" to close it out and tide people over until the next season is completely finished.
Which would cut into their production order, and probably result in this exact situation, yet again.

Goddamnit Adult Swim spend a loving dollar on this show already

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Nah. They just need to shovel more money into trippy bumpers.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think they spend all the dollars necessary (seriously the animation has been getting better and better), it's just that the creators work at their own particular pace.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It just hit me that I've been watching VB for 40 percent of my life.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

X_Toad posted:

I think they spend all the dollars necessary (seriously the animation has been getting better and better), it's just that the creators work at their own particular pace.

This isn't a particular pace. This is practically time-lapse.

I have to say, this was once my #1 favorite show by a long mile. It's slipping to #2 behind Rick & Morty, a less intelligent albeit more edgy show (in my opinion) that has some fun characters (not as well developed as VB's, of course) and crazy situations, and whose creators can manage to get a new season out in less than 1-2 years. I'm finding myself less and less amused by the whole cheeky attitude Doc and Jackson exhibit when asked about this when they go to cons. They are taking their audience for granted. Literally no other show has producers who would go this long without releasing anything to at least slightly whet their audience's appetite.

Now, so far, the quality of the product has been sufficient to keep fans on board and patient. One thing that doesn't help: the longer we wait, the higher our expectations. I'm seriously wondering how long they think they can keep this up before the majority of their fans get totally disenchanted.

A while back in this thread, I posted a funny little song to the tune of "In the Year 2525" about this. It was a joke. Right?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Rick and Morty season 2 came out a full 2 years ago fwiw.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, Rick and Morty isn't setting a particularly brisk pace here.

Turns out when you have a labor of love with a very limited writing pool, things take time.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Rick and Morty season 2 came out a full 2 years ago fwiw.

October 4, 2015, is less than 2 years ago. The new season proper will start in less than a week, still less than 2 years. I'm not counting the first episode that aired way before the rest of the season. It's close to two years, though. I guess I could spot you a few months there.

Let's have a gander at the Venture Bros. track record:

The fact that two times, there were exactly 924 days between seasons (excluding the specials) is actually kind-of impressive. I mean, what are the odds?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

tarlibone posted:

October 4, 2015, is less than 2 years ago. The new season proper will start in less than a week, still less than 2 years. I'm not counting the first episode that aired way before the rest of the season. It's close to two years, though. I guess I could spot you a few months there.

Let's have a gander at the Venture Bros. track record:

The fact that two times, there were exactly 924 days between seasons (excluding the specials) is actually kind-of impressive. I mean, what are the odds?
Well I was talking about start of season, which was July 26, 2015. That's solidly two years before the start of this one. That's definitely better than venture brothers at its worst, but not as good as "less than 1-2 years" makes it sound.

I think VB is the better show for sure, but both are pretty great. I'll keep watching every few years if they keep the quality up - I particularly loved the andy warhol episode this season.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh you miserable bastards, I thought we got some actual news about the new season!

This thread has the saddest tits sometimes.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do people really think that Doc and Jackson are just being lazy or slow or something? I didn't know anyone reading the thread at this point could still think that.

The show doesn't have nearly the viewership that Rick and Morty does, there's no reason Adult Swim would pay a similar sized budget for it. VB is written and edited and directed entirely by two guys, and 50% of it voiced by the same two guys, and traditionally animated to boot. Not to mention every season has been really good for the entire run. The show wouldn't be good, or even still going, if it wasn't being made by two crazy dudes who spend hours upon hours just yelling at each other in character voices about the ridiculous story universe they've created over the course of like a decade and a half and sometimes get to make a TV show out of.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

tarlibone posted:

This isn't a particular pace. This is practically time-lapse.

I have to say, this was once my #1 favorite show by a long mile. It's slipping to #2 behind Rick & Morty, a less intelligent albeit more edgy show (in my opinion) that has some fun characters (not as well developed as VB's, of course) and crazy situations, and whose creators can manage to get a new season out in less than 1-2 years. I'm finding myself less and less amused by the whole cheeky attitude Doc and Jackson exhibit when asked about this when they go to cons. They are taking their audience for granted. Literally no other show has producers who would go this long without releasing anything to at least slightly whet their audience's appetite.

Now, so far, the quality of the product has been sufficient to keep fans on board and patient. One thing that doesn't help: the longer we wait, the higher our expectations. I'm seriously wondering how long they think they can keep this up before the majority of their fans get totally disenchanted.

A while back in this thread, I posted a funny little song to the tune of "In the Year 2525" about this. It was a joke. Right?

I still don't get the Rick and Morty hype. I've watched several episodes the humor just sort of ping-pongs back and forth between "needlessly cruel/gross/profane" and "look at how wacky and random this situation is!", with lots of ham-fisted references to sci-fi tropes, but it's okay that it's ham-fisted because the characters make jokes about it so it's suddenly not lazy writing, it's self-aware.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Venture brothers has ham-fisted references to 60s-style "forward-looking" cartoons(proper name for this era is on the tip of my tongue) and turn-of-the-century bodybuilders instead.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 25, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I still don't get the Rick and Morty hype. I've watched several episodes the humor just sort of ping-pongs back and forth between "needlessly cruel/gross/profane" and "look at how wacky and random this situation is!", with lots of ham-fisted references to sci-fi tropes, but it's okay that it's ham-fisted because the characters make jokes about it so it's suddenly not lazy writing, it's self-aware.

Are you a depressed weirdo who jokes about suicide with your other depressed weirdo friends? If not, you are starting off at a disadvantage with Rick and Morty.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Venture brothers has ham-fisted references to golden age cartoons and turn-of-the-century bodybuilders instead.

I'd say Venture Brothers is way more clever with it's references than Rick & Morty usually is

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

I'd say Venture Brothers is way more clever with it's references than Rick & Morty usually is
Most of the time for sure. I hate it when things reference stuff that's so new that it'll be inevitably forgotten with time. The "taken" speech bothered me even if it was appropriate for the character.

I like Rick and Morty though - their attitude and general way of speaking with each other with whatever sci-fi cliche is serving as a backdrop this week is enough to drive the show for me. :shrug:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 25, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dan Harmon has terminal sadbrains and all sadbrains nerds can't get enough of how funny self-hating melancholy loser characters are I like Rick and Morty

I like the Venture Brothers because even though most of the characters are losers or failures they still try.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

That's for sure.

In Venture Brothers, Rusty meets a character who is a direct parody of the Firestarter video. The only reference to it is him saying "I'm trapped down here with a confessed arsonist!" Funny and subtle.

A similar joke in Rick and Morty would be, "I'm trapped down here with a guy who looks like he was in that video, Firestarter, by the band The Prodigy!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

In Venture Brothers, Rusty meets a character who is a direct parody of the Firestarter video. The only reference to it is him saying "I'm trapped down here with a confessed arsonist!" Funny and subtle.

He does say "He keeps calling himself the Firestarter" so it's a little more direct than that.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

JethroMcB posted:

He does say "He keeps calling himself the Firestarter" so it's a little more direct than that.

The difference is even if you don't get the reference, it's funny. I don't know what that is a reference to, but that scene still makes me laugh.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Venture Brothers & Rick and Morty are both really, really funny, and that's what counts. It's not like Venture Bros is above referential humor; one of my favorite jokes in all of Venture Bros is Col. Gentleman reading out a list of 80s toys. You can come up with convoluted reasons why this is OK and some other show doing it isn't, but when it comes down to it, Venture Bros just pulls it off really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoJlRLe81cA

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Eela6 posted:

Venture Brothers & Rick and Morty are both really, really funny, and that's what counts. It's not like Venture Bros is above referential humor; one of my favorite jokes in all of Venture Bros is Col. Gentleman reading out a list of 80s toys. You can come up with convoluted reasons why this is OK and some other show doing it isn't, but when it comes down to it, Venture Bros just pulls it off really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoJlRLe81cA

Ehhhhhh, I don't know that the pull it off. I never liked that scene; I think it's way too out of character for Col. Gentleman.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Shtay Alive: The Shurvival Game gets me every time. I had no clue it was real until just now, it sounds like a parody of an 80s board game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Ma favorite story will always be how much Hammer and Publick struggled to find names for the O.S.I agents because GI Joe had apparently managed to use them all.

drrockso20 posted:

I feel like it references stuff that is much more obscure, too. For me personally, just the base show that is parodied : I have no idea what Johnny Quest is, but I get that Rick and Morty are somewhat inspired by the main characters of Return to the Future.