Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The funniest part is how few of their deaths involved the "boy adventurer" aspect of their lives.

No, wait, the funniest part is still that goofy-rear end robot busting through the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They do later bring up a few deaths, one where they tried to do a Fantastic Voyage into Doc's brain and ended up dying in there when their submarine got stuck and caused a clot, and another where they were beaten/mauled to death by the Groovy Gang.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
What I love is that some of the deaths are adventure related--running into a hangar only to have the floor open up to a pit of spikes for no reason--and others are random and absurd, like Hank going back for a pass only to have a loving SATELLITE fall on him.

That, and you see a whole bunch of deaths go by, then there's just a scene of them sleeping, nothing's happening, and Doc's voice suddenly starts narrating as if they were all actually watching a slide show or something. "We had a gas leak that time... the silent killer."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You fondled clone Hank!

I think Hanks brings up that he kind of remembers jumping off the roof as batman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, they had a whole season specifically establishing that the Venture compound is a total deathtrap. The Monarch probably did the world a favour.

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?
"To settle a bet. Yes, with Shore Leave!"

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
That's nothing. I ate a whole Labrador retriever once! I'm serious!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I love how Al and Shore are an item. It's so adorable.

Also Shore Leave is like the best character.

I wanted to be skins but Dean is neey neeeh neey we would get SUNBURN.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Dean.
Dean.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Of course I didn't think to look for you in our own endzone.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Oh yeah, I get it. I'm out and proud, and I'm the sissy. I'm brave enough to be who I am in the face of assholes like you, and I'm the sissy. Maybe when you come outta the closet you can walk a mile in my Jimmy Choos.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Shindragon posted:

I love how Al and Shore are an item. It's so adorable.

Also Shore Leave is like the best character.

I wanted to be skins but Dean is neey neeeh neey we would get SUNBURN.

Wham! Brock-ness monster on them!

Seriously, Shore Leave is my favorite. Just a super fun character in both representation and presentation. He gets the absurdity of the Venture Bros universe and revels in it.

I can't find the quote but I love the bit where they admit that they have cool jobs.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

You know he just rips those off himself, he just tears em off like a chippendale's fireman, every time.

Good god, why?

For one, because it looks super cool.

You're an infant.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 5, 2017

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cacafuego posted:

You know he just rips those off himself, he just tears em off like a chippendale's fireman, every time.

Good god, why?

For one, because it looks super cool.

You're an infant.

I love the beginning of that scene, where Shore Leave is squirting tomato juice at Brock like little kids who share a bath would do. The look on his face as he does it is priceless.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
jumping in on the shore leave lovefest. one of the best characters in the series.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Shore Leave is great yeah, one of the many many many stellar characters I love with this show.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The guy is Peter Schumpmaker. Lord knows what a schump is, but you can bet your bippy his ancestors made them. What he's doing is far worse than crafting fine schumps.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Crazy Ferret posted:

Wham! Brock-ness monster on them!

Seriously, Shore Leave is my favorite. Just a super fun character in both representation and presentation. He gets the absurdity of the Venture Bros universe and revels in it.

I can't find the quote but I love the bit where they admit that they have cool jobs.

I was trying to find that clip, but I just found this one instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfhcNYZ8vug

"This little get-up-and-go works like a samurai mask!" is such a perfect line.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJJ7AopOjk4

I love the SPHINX tic. Watching that in slow motion I just realized Brock slammed his fist through their skulls. I thought he had a knife... Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lPFipN-1zc

Jump to :54

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 5, 2017

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It was pretty weird going back to the Season 2 DVD commentaries and hearing Doc Hammer stumble on the phrase "Boom, yummy," then saying jokingly that in Season 3 they should have a character who's just there to say "Boom! Yummy" repeatedly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Shoreleave is amazing and I love how he's second only to Brock in badassness.

Also that between the Pyramid Wars and now, Shoreleave and Brock became friends.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It seems they considered Brock's talents wasted in the wild goose chase for the GCI until whoops, after SPHINX was crushed the OSI went public and Hunter Gathers was right all along.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I think some of Shore Leave's earlier stuff gets overshadowed by the later stuff like the tuxedo speedo.

"Hey! The power of prayer can move mountains" is such a great line.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

Shoreleave is amazing and I love how he's second only to Brock in badassness.

Also that between the Pyramid Wars and now, Shoreleave and Brock became friends.

they're really the same guy, except for who they want to bang

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the loin-girded codpiece of truth

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

the loin-girded codpiece of truth

Uhm, is this going to take long?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
That whole bit with Shore Leave at the end of Season 3 is kinda weird to look back on after later revelations

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

:nyd: Boots of the Gospel :nyd:

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

drrockso20 posted:

That whole bit with Shore Leave at the end of Season 3 is kinda weird to look back on after later revelations

I wonder if he even remembers it like his time with those homophobic drug lords.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

"Loin-girded codpiece of truth" is just a brilliant turn of phrase, the fact that a codpiece literally girds(surrounds) one's loins and also that "gird your loins" is an idiom from the bible used to mean "prepare for attack" makes it the perfect accessory for a bible-themed superhero, well, preparing for attack.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm just going to assume Shore Leave was in on Hunter's plan and was just running interference.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bull3964 posted:

I'm just going to assume Shore Leave was in on Hunter's plan and was just running interference.

Sky pilot definitely was. Shore Leave just got caught up with his "boyfriend" and his new age ministry.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sky pilot definitely was. Shore Leave just got caught up with his "boyfriend" and his new age ministry.

It's easy to see how he got all caught up in it. I mean, even as a heterosexual, I must admit that Sky Pilot is a very attractive man. And, the power of prayer can move mountains, Mr. Nice.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

boner confessor posted:

they're really the same guy, except for who they want to bang

"How come even when I am Brock I still wish I was Brock?"

"That is something I've been living with my whole life."

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think they both were, but Sky Pilot was also in on Treister's plans, not just Hunter's.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

tarlibone posted:

It's easy to see how he got all caught up in it. I mean, even as a heterosexual, I must admit that Sky Pilot is a very attractive man. And, the power of prayer can move mountains, Mr. Nice.

So when they prayed, the earth moved?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

"Cavity search, my rear end! I mean - you know what I mean..."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

bull3964 posted:

He does say he pretended to become a religious fanatic on sphinx's behalf.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

MizPiz posted:

"How come even when I am Brock I still wish I was Brock?"

"That is something I've been living with my whole life."

This was such a huge buildup in character development. I can think of very few shows this kind of joke would pay off and not feel incredibly shoehorned to build up Brock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
both shore leave and skypilot were in on the holy divers being a cover for sphinx activities.