Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TK-42-1 posted:

Maybe. Depends if lowtax actually goes through with it.

Yeah, never underestimate the power of internet pettiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That poor woman Monarch dragged onto that date in a stolen Stanza understands.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

SeanBeansShako posted:

That poor woman Monarch dragged onto that date in a stolen Stanza understands.

Jollyrancher82, never get henchmen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
A patients son the other day was bang-on for looking like Two Ton 21 when he’s not in uniform. It was amazing. My medic and I are both VB fans and were glad we had to wear respirators so people couldn’t see the look on our faces.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A patients son the other day was bang-on for looking like Two Ton 21 when he’s not in uniform. It was amazing. My medic and I are both VB fans and were glad we had to wear respirators so people couldn’t see the look on our faces.

Ogopogo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Is. A. Plesiosaur

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Man! I'm so glad I didn't mention the car accident....

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tarlibone posted:

Man! I'm so glad I didn't mention the car accident....

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CAR

INTENTIONAL

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok I’m 3 episodes into the Harley Quinn DC animated series. It is literally just “The Venture Bros” run through a Batman filter but with the violence of the animated Spawn HBO series. The show is unapologetically feminist and feels like a breath of fresh air. I just got to Wanda Sykes scene and it’s honestly funnier than anything from the last two seasons of VB.

Their versions of Batman and Gordon are both a riot.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok I’m 3 episodes into the Harley Quinn DC animated series. It is literally just “The Venture Bros” run through a Batman filter but with the violence of the animated Spawn HBO series. The show is unapologetically feminist and feels like a breath of fresh air. I just got to Wanda Sykes scene and it’s honestly funnier than anything from the last two seasons of VB.

It loses its Venture-Bros-ness after season 1. Season 2 is more about interpersonal character stuff and doesn't lean into the whole "I need to be taken seriously as a supervillian and there's forms and paperwork :(" stuff that Venture Bros does well.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

Did you just not get around to it until now or were you unsure if it'd work as well as everyone was making it out to?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm just waiting for it to hit HBO Max. Gimme a release date!

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

I'm just waiting for it to hit HBO Max. Gimme a release date!
Is that likely in the short term when it's technically first air to the DC streaming service?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They've announced that it's going to happen, just not when. Thinkin' that DC Universe isn't long for this world.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

They've announced that it's going to happen, just not when. Thinkin' that DC Universe isn't long for this world.

Yeah, when they debuted the Doom Patrol S2 premiere on HBO Max at the same time as DCU, that sign on the wall went from written to neon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Daikloktos posted:

Did you just not get around to it until now or were you unsure if it'd work as well as everyone was making it out to?

I always hated the character Harley Quinn in everything after Batman: TAS. All of her charm and menace and horrifying intellect was watered down into a really lovely one-note character and I just hated what they made her into. I had no faith in anything revolving around her.

I’m also just not even remotely into DC the same way I am with Marvel so I’ve never seen Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey just seemed extremely dumb. I heard the action sequences were dope but... look I just hate Margot Robbie.

But I’ve seen enough people on SA with genuinely good taste say this show was something special and it really does have a very funny and unique voice, so I gave it a shot. It manages to make Batman silly without making it stupid, which is no small feat. Tudyk’s Joker is cool (but he’s just doing his own impression of Hamil’s Joker, instead of his own, which is fine but he deserves better).

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 3, 2020

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
As a heads up the animated suicide squad movies can be fun to watch the live action one is a horrendous waste of time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m also just not even remotely into DC the same way I am with Marvel

Me either, the whole of DC comics characters feel insanely bland. I’m kind of happy WB is selling all their games studios so that NRS will stop making Injustice games, which are great games mechanics wise but holy hell I am bored by the character lineup.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

I always hated the character Harley Quinn in everything after Batman: TAS. All of her charm and menace and horrifying intellect was watered down into a really lovely one-note character and I just hated what they made her into. I had no faith in anything revolving around her.

I’m also just not even remotely into DC the same way I am with Marvel so I’ve never seen Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey just seemed extremely dumb. I heard the action sequences were dope but... look I just hate Margot Robbie.

But I’ve seen enough people on SA with genuinely good taste say this show was something special and it really does have a very funny and unique voice, so I gave it a shot. It manages to make Batman silly without making it stupid, which is no small feat. Tudyk’s Joker is cool (but he’s just doing his own impression of Hamil’s Joker, instead of his own, which is fine but he deserves better).
Ahh, gotcha. I was the exact way with Harley, but opposite on the publisher war. I grew up with Batman '66 and The Superfriends as a formative influences and take animated comedy as a hobby so I should have been over the moon to first hear of this, but... Harley. Exactly. But I can see where if I was already primed for "Batman by way of Venture Brothers" to be exactly what I always wanted I'd have jumped on it faster.

Not being into the comics themselves, I always felt DC had the stronger ancillary media growing up and just kind of captured me, but I also wasn't terribly into any of the action cartoons coming out at the time, superhero or not. Outside of The Hulk I wouldn't say I'd ever experienced a single Avenger until their movies? That might not even be hyperbole...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

feedmyleg posted:

When? They were very specific when HBO Max launched that the only DCU show they were ever planning on putting on the service was Doom Patrol. Have they said something else since launch?

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/hbo-max-will-not-host-dc-universe-shows-other-than-doom-patrol/

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 3, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like I should clarify that when I say "into Marvel" I mean "I am obsessed with Spider-Man and his EU, and tangentially absorbed encyclopedic knowledge of Marvel through exposure through Spider-Man over 30 years." I like X-Men and the Avengers just fine but I would absolute annihilate a Spider-Man Jeopardy

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

When? They were very specific when HBO Max launched that the only DCU show they were ever planning on putting on the service was Doom Patrol. Have they said something else since launch?

https://collider.com/harley-quinn-hbo-max-dc-universe/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Interesting. They need to hurry up and add 4k HDR to HBO Max.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Interesting. They need to hurry up and add 4k HDR to HBO Max.

They need to hurry up and add it to Roku :mad:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like DC and Marvel have a very 'quality vs quantity' thing going. Most good DC stuff is Batman and Superman, with a little Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and Teen Titans if that's to your taste, while Marvel does a better job having consistent quality, if rarely reaching the same heights.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like Batman peaked in the mid-90's with the animated series and the comics. I have no concept of when Superman was ever at it's best.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought Superman TAS was really good although it didn't run as long as Batman.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Another Hammer podcast, 23 minutes in until VB chat, but hey, it's entertaining: https://inebriart.libsyn.com/doc-hammer?tdest_id=449334&fbclid=IwAR2JxTgTWdnCxMw4LWnHpqKePY4_fPKejbcC9nDVB-YC9Ty17PV203HQ2O4

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 3, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

teen titans go is actually a good series. it’s up there with the new duck tales tbh

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

teen titans go is actually a good series. it’s up there with the new duck tales tbh

TTG has a bad rap and I don't get it. Someone described it as It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia but for kids and that hit the nail on the head.

Robin being a giant creep is my favorite gag.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I find TTG hit or miss. There are some episodes I love and then some episodes that I would absolutely refuse to watch again. For example, Bumblebee's first episode as part of the team at Titans Tower, it's just too hard to watch those degenerates (as Robin calls the team) gang up on the new girl.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I would put it on the level of the new Ducktales but TTG does have some great jokes and feels like a great thing for DC to have as a whole to have at least one part of their output that doesn't take itself seriously.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I'd love to check out this Harley Quinn show I keep hearing about but I'm not paying for the DC streaming service or HBOMAX(for now)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Never watched TTG, I can tell it's not for me. But I know a lot of people don't like it because it's on constantly.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like DC and Marvel have a very 'quality vs quantity' thing going. Most good DC stuff is Batman and Superman, with a little Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and Teen Titans if that's to your taste, while Marvel does a better job having consistent quality, if rarely reaching the same heights.

Marvel's biggest money makers were Spider-Man and X-Men before the movies really hit and there were false starts before. DC's equivalent of the two are Batman and Superman in terms of properties (think about how many TV shows Batman has had versus all of the other DC ones and do the same for Spider-Man). The big difference is that in the face of not having their biggest attractions available to them to make a movie, they somehow struck consistent gold with Iron Man and Thor and so forth.

Both are companies that are fundamentally following the money in terms of their properties and Marvel broke the paradigm it had made in the 90s that was dominated by Spidey and the X-Men (as they had no other choice) while DC could never quite commit to characters outside of its big two.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I still think it's hilarious that Sony apparently owns the movie rights to Spiderman forever

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

I still think it's hilarious that Sony apparently owns the movie rights to Spiderman forever

Marvel was actively making GBS threads out when they sold the rights to their big names, so the terms of the deals they agreed to were pretty rough like that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Koalas March posted:

TTG has a bad rap and I don't get it. Someone described it as It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia but for kids and that hit the nail on the head.

Robin being a giant creep is my favorite gag.

The animation style is extremely off-putting and everyone i know over the age of 30 that watches the show only does because they accidentally saw an episode at someone else's house and it made them chuckle. I think most people just assume it's like a Nick Jr. DC show for babies, I certainly did. I also just really loved the original TT and didn't want to reward them for leaving all the plot threads hanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That feels like a weird take on the art style. To me it feels far more like Dexter's Lab or Powerpuff Girls, both of which are aimed at at least tweens if not all-ages, and are things that 30somethings would have grown up with.