Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TerminalRaptor posted:

Really wish we knew the whole story of what went down there, because there's levels of spite that have never been satisfactorily explained. A bad letter writing/faxing campaign goes far beyond the level of middle fingers given by Adult Swim to that show.

iirc the problem, which brendan small never said and AS is tight lipped about, was that AS ordered a season 5 of 11 minute episodes which would fit into a programming block and what they got back was a single hour long rock opera which has to be aired as a special. this entirely fucks with the programming schedule and ad sales in a fundamental way. it's like calling a baker to make a cake for your wedding and they show up the day of with a shitload of lasagna. it may be drat good lasagna but motherfucker that's not what i paid for and need right now!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pixaal posted:

That is a pretty dick move to say you are going to do something agree to do something else then do the first thing after being told not to.

It is better to do and then ask for forgiveness then to do it out of spite after being shot down.

I agree, and I think BS messed up, but at the same time he was just making his art which AS supported for years. I can't blame the artist for his creation even if it isn't what was ordered. The Doomstar Requiem owns, imo. I completely understand AS not wanting to deal with BS or anything Metalocalypse related project again after that, though.

It's a rare situation where both sides are pretty justified in their actions and both have committed relatively bad acts to sour the relationship.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I agree, and I think BS messed up, but at the same time he was just making his art which AS supported for years. I can't blame the artist for his creation even if it isn't what was ordered. The Doomstar Requiem owns, imo. I completely understand AS not wanting to deal with BS or anything Metalocalypse related project again after that, though.

It's a rare situation where both sides are pretty justified in their actions and both have committed relatively bad acts to sour the relationship.

The better way would have been to make a deal that you can release it direct to DVD to something after making a new season in the format they want or something. The artist can speak up for themselves but delivering a completely different product just well it's how you burn bridges. It would have been a great way to go out if it was intended as a finale though. That is how you burn a bridge and get what you want out of it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

At the very least he could have worked out how to write a season-long rock opera in contained, ten minute chunks. It wouldn't have been his exact vision, but I imagine it would have turned out perfectly well, and AS would have gotten what they wanted. If you take someone else's money, you don't get to just spend it however you like.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
"What could be more important than your family, Richard?"

"... ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscience?"

The slow burn on the initial S, and the tone that suggests that he thinks that his answer is a good, educated guess, and one that he hopes is correct... perfect line, perfect delivery by one Phteven Colbert, and in a episode full of quotable & hilarious lines, that one is one of my favorites.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TerminalRaptor posted:

Have there been any updates for saving the show after the suggestion that HBO Max may be an avenue?

We know there's talk happening behind-the-scenes to figure something out. We almost certainly won't hear anything until those discussions shake out one way or another.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

tarlibone posted:

"What could be more important than your family, Richard?"

"... ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscience?"

The slow burn on the initial S, and the tone that suggests that he thinks that his answer is a good, educated guess, and one that he hopes is correct... perfect line, perfect delivery by one Phteven Colbert, and in a episode full of quotable & hilarious lines, that one is one of my favorites.

This is one of my favorite lines in the whole show, which has consistently great dialogue even in bad episodes. Like the Unterland episode is bad overall but it has so many great gags like the costumes, the mask holes, "I'll see you in heck!", and The Lump to still make me love the episode.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
they won't be expecting one lone warrior

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

they won't be expecting one lone warrior

What are you worried about Brock? We'll just clone another one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That makes me surprised they hadn't made a Duncan Idaho reference with the boys.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Kingnothing posted:

AS is notorious for not letting go of IP, so HBO Max is the only hope really.

Brendan Small has quite literally begged AS to let him finish metalocalypse somewhere else and the response has always been gently caress off. So much so that he had to finish the story in secret on his own album with a rearranged track order to hide it.

This sounds very familiar to how AS treated Korgoth

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

We know there's talk happening behind-the-scenes to figure something out. We almost certainly won't hear anything until those discussions shake out one way or another.

We won't hear anything until the Hulu deal ends.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Norwegian Rudo posted:

We won't hear anything until the Hulu deal ends.

They'll just give the show a new name to circumvent that, not even the first time Adult Swim has done that for one of their shows

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dracula Factory posted:

This is one of my favorite lines in the whole show, which has consistently great dialogue even in bad episodes. Like the Unterland episode is bad overall but it has so many great gags like the costumes, the mask holes, "I'll see you in heck!", and The Lump to still make me love the episode.

Itsth maddening

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

drrockso20 posted:

They'll just give the show a new name to circumvent that, not even the first time Adult Swim has done that for one of their shows

Looking forward to Venture Unit Patrol Squad 1.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They need to stop chasing that johnny quest 60's 70's nostalgia and hope on the true 80's animated nostalgia train, venture babies.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

They need to stop chasing that johnny quest 60's 70's nostalgia and hope on the true 80's animated nostalgia train, venture babies.

You know I wonder how young the boys were the first time they died?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Based on their luck it's a half miracle they didn't choke one another to death in the womb with their cords.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Man I forgot the Star Wars references were all over the place with Season 2.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Keltar posted:

Based on their luck it's a half miracle they didn't choke one another to death in the womb with their cords.

Or somehow absorb each other at the same time.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This is just gonna be the rollercoaster of the next year or so eh

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Appreciate James shutting that down, at least. Maybe in another.... year... two years... four....

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hughesta posted:

Appreciate James shutting that down, at least. Maybe in another.... year... two years... four....

He wouldn't have shut it down if it wasn't true! Venture bros is back baby!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

He wouldn't have shut it down if it wasn't true! Venture bros is back baby!

Six bucks says there's a new season in 18 months.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I look forward to watching Venture Babies 2099:The Next Generation in 2042.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Six bucks says there's a new season in 18 months.

thats a risky bet even if it were officially announced for AS originally

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

I look forward to watching Venture Babies 2099:The Next Generation in 2042.

Venturelab 2022

If you're lookin' for Doc
You better look behind Brock
'Cause that is where you'll find Doc.

It's up to Team Ven-... ture...
Super-science time
Team Ven-... ture...
And hopefully, the Tri-ad too....

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

You know I wonder how young the boys were the first time they died?

The only clue we have on that is Myra thought the boys were 19 back in season 2 when the current versions were 16 at the time. (Also the burned ID's given to the boys at the beginning of the season.) The question is how far Rusty's cloning tech can incubate the slugs.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 10, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given their shown cross-compatibility, I do wonder if there's theories to be had about how the Ventures' super-science is actually an unconscious form of magic.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

The only clue we have on that is Myra thought the boys were 19 back in season 2 when the current versions were 16 at the time. (Also the burned ID's given to the boys at the beginning of the season.) The question is how far Rusty's cloning tech can incubate the slugs.

Something tells me that if they ever showed us the first time the boys died they would play the scene purely straight and be extremely sad, cause sure Rusty would have already had the clones prepared but he probably never thought he would ever actually have to use them, indeed as much as he's numbed himself to it happening(or even outright joking about it) it's very obvious that it still bothers him when it happens he's just gotten better about pushing it down(though the beginning of Season 2 definitely shows that front breaking till Brock drags him back*)

*indeed the clones are probably the main reason Brock put so much effort in hunting Rusty down and bringing him home, Rusty is needed to finish up the clones so that Hank and Dean can live again

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wouldn't be surprised if it's not the first time Rusty's put off reviving the boys to go off and party.

Rusty's a horrible parent, but it's still a major step up from Jonas in that he clearly makes an effort to actually try and be a parent, and can probably credit that for the boys being as functional as they are in comparison.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Man seeing Season 2 start again made me feel sad all kinds of nostalgic ways.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rusty most likely did not have any clones ready the first time the boys died. They were 2-3 when they first died, and rusty cloned a few dozen slugs after they died the first time.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 10, 2020

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if it's not the first time Rusty's put off reviving the boys to go off and party.

I mean, if they lost 3 years from dying and being cloned, either the process takes a few months each time or Rusty procrastinated a lot.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, if they lost 3 years from dying and being cloned, either the process takes a few months each time or Rusty procrastinated a lot.

What does your heart tell you?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

He can't make more clones because he released them all. I don't there there is a process to age up clones.

He tells 21 that 24 would be a baby and have none of his memories if he cloned him.

If rusty were to start new slugs they'd start all over again. They always had a limited number of lives.

The first time the boys died was likely at 3 and that's the age discrepancy.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 10, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rusty was able to clone up a dead kid within a couple of hours who didn't look like a newborn, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rusty was able to clone up a dead kid within a couple of hours who didn't look like a newborn, though.

He also looked like what you would get if prunes could have progeria.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

He did say he'd need to be potty trained again, but you are right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Rusty most likely did not have any clones ready the first time the boys died. They were 2-3 when they first died, and rusty cloned a few dozen slugs after they died the first time.

We have to assume some sort of advanced growth rates. Because if the entire batch of slugs was created after their first deaths and they just aged along with the whatever copies were active, we wouldn't get Hunchback Dean who was clearly older that current Dean by a couple years.