Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ithaqua posted:

Whenever a discussion of cloning comes up, it always reminds me of this old cartoon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdxucpPq6Lc

I saw this cartoon late at night on Cartoon Network (O, Canada) when I was like, 9 years old maybe, and I like to think that this alone is responsible for all the anxiety and depression I suffered as a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

There's a joke about Star Trek's transporters somewhere here. Hell, there's probably a filk by Tom Smith for this.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

(Bolding mine.)

That makes me think of something...after he perfected the cloning, why didn't he start cloning himself? Like...keep a few clones of himself around, and sleep in a modified learning bed to record his memories too, and tell Brock that if he dies, go ahead and "use" one of the clones?

Yeah, the clones would be much younger versions of himself, but that really seems almost like a bonus. As soon as you use one, put another in the tank, and always have a few spares for accidental death, and you can live into your mid 40's or 50, kill yourself, and voila, brand new 20-something year old body. Do the same with Brock (well, if he wants) so that only one person has to "keep the secret" and gives him incentive to stick around to ensure you don't die without someone forgetting to tale a new clone-slug out of the tube.

If anyone asks, just say you perfected a youth treatment, not cloning, and that for "science reasons" it only works with your DNA so you cant' sell it.

Clone slugs seem more like a convenience for Rusty than a favor for the boys. He seems to use cloning mostly as a shortcut to save himself problems, like with that kid who got killed by the gorilla. I'd imagine he's too much of a narcissist to gloss over the fact that any clone of him would be a copy who got to go off and live at the expense of his death.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jack Gladney posted:

Clone slugs seem more like a convenience for Rusty than a favor for the boys. He seems to use cloning mostly as a shortcut to save himself problems, like with that kid who got killed by the gorilla. I'd imagine he's too much of a narcissist to gloss over the fact that any clone of him would be a copy who got to go off and live at the expense of his death.

BTW, I always wondered, was the clone of the kid or one of the Hank/Dean clones? From the dialog in the show, it sounds like its the former, but the commentary makes it sound like they intend it to the latter.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ithaqua posted:

Whenever a discussion of cloning comes up, it always reminds me of this old cartoon...

This was the basis of the Michael Crichton novel "Timeline" with some Time Travel to boot

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The episode where Orpheus can feel the boys' souls in that machine before they get downloaded into the slugs always made me think that Rusty's cloning process is closer to real immortality than just identical copies.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Sockser posted:

I saw this cartoon late at night on Cartoon Network (O, Canada) when I was like, 9 years old maybe, and I like to think that this alone is responsible for all the anxiety and depression I suffered as a teenager.

Thank God I'm not the only one. That cartoon has scarred me for life.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

PostNouveau posted:

The episode where Orpheus can feel the boys' souls in that machine before they get downloaded into the slugs always made me think that Rusty's cloning process is closer to real immortality than just identical copies.

Maybe Rusty's right about the parallels between his science and Orpheus's magic, but rather than magic being mundane and dismissible his science is actually wondrous.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Pope Guilty posted:

Maybe Rusty's right about the parallels between his science and Orpheus's magic, but rather than magic being mundane and dismissible his science is actually wondrous.

I think it pretty clear his super science is wondrous and he is just too jaded to appreciate it. I mean Walking eye!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

LtSmash posted:

I think it pretty clear his super science is wondrous and he is just too jaded to appreciate it. I mean Walking eye!

Yeah, but what does it do?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

AGirlWonder posted:

Thank God I'm not the only one. That cartoon has scarred me for life.

For some reason I never saw that episode. Just the ones with "Bob and Margaret", "The Lumberjacks Waltz", "The Cat Came Back", that one about the kid who get appendicitis, and the one about the kid who gets the wrong sweater.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Doctor Venture has managed to get over a lot of his childhood trauma; This scene shows just how far he's come by now.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ithaqua posted:

:stare: Jesus Christ, the humor in this is pitch black for what appears to be a short for children. She effectively commits suicide by teleporter so her clone can live guilt-free!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Mr. Fowl posted:

:stare: Jesus Christ, the humor in this is pitch black for what appears to be a short for children. She effectively commits suicide by teleporter so her clone can live guilt-free!

The NFB of Canada is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjLBXb1kgMo

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

My understanding is that O, Canada was like What A Cartoon in that it was animation students final projects. Also it aired at like 1am or something so as to not air it for kids

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

It's vintage NFB. It's not necessarily for anyone except the people who might watch it. That's part of what made NFB animation so special way back when. Even when it looks like it's for kids, that's just an aesthetic it's appropriating in order to, say, preserve an old folk song or establish itself in a referential hierarchy to older NFB pieces.

Sockser posted:

My understanding is that O, Canada was like What A Cartoon in that it was animation students final projects. Also it aired at like 1am or something so as to not air it for kids

If you like that stuff, you should check out the Hothouse series. The NFB did (I'm pretty sure 2012 was the last year because TORY HATE ARTS FUNDING TORY WANT REVENGE) a series of annual internship programs where aspiring animators were supported through the process of doing shorts. Some are really weird or cool. There's this great one from like, series two where a guy drinks in a bar during a storm and the icecube in his drink melts in real time throughout the short.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 20, 2013

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Ithaqua posted:

Oh man, they made an episode of the outer limits about this same idea. Never going to use a teleporter!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Republican Vampire posted:

If you like that stuff, you should check out the Hothouse series. The NFB did (I'm pretty sure 2012 was the last year because TORY HATE ARTS FUNDING TORY WANT REVENGE) a series of annual internship programs where aspiring animators were supported through the process of doing shorts. Some are really weird or cool. There's this great one from like, series two where a guy drinks in a bar during a storm and the icecube in his drink melts in real time throughout the short.

Family Guy exists only because of What A Cartoon, and Adventure Time (and arguably Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa, Problem Solverz, Bravest Warriors, Bee and Puppycat, others that I'm forgetting) from Nickelodeon's equivalent, so I think it's kind of a shame that there's not any shows like that on the air anymore that just show like, student films/indie cartoons/etc

Or maybe the age of the internet has made them irrelevant, I dunno.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Oh man, they made an episode of the outer limits about this same idea. Never going to use a teleporter!

No need to worry, in 1987 Dr Venture proved the soul exists and is disassembled and transmitted along with the physical properties of your body. However the military wasn't interested in purchasing any 'soul disruptors' to defend against soviet troops teleporting into the US if it wouldn't also stop their physical bodies from appearing.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

No, no NFB. No NFB in my Venture thread. The NFB was responsible for more vague anxiety than the thought of "someday everyone you love will die" ever produced.

Thankfully it lost its power when I got to university and realized that it was just clueless morons like us making those shorts.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, but what does it do?

It doesn't do anything, that's the beauty of it!

:haw:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I always hear that line in Burgess Meredith's voice for some reason.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Don't worry, assuming continuity of consciousness is maintained you haven't actually died in any meaningful sense. A great deal of your body is constantly replaced and recycled, and you don't say that you've died every 4 years when the vast majority of it has been replaced by different atoms, do you? And if we're talking about Star Trek matter beam teleporters that use the same molecules to rebuild you, it's even less of a death!

e: Things get a little confusing when there's teleporter duplicates involved, but that's easily solved by considering the 'new' you to be a unique individual who happens to have some of the same memories as yourself, as their experience differs after the point of divergence.

Daktar fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 22, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Duplicates, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QryGNzVeogE

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Ithaqua posted:

Man, I wish I'd seen this before reading "Think Like a Dinosaur". (Which you can hear a reading of here and may have been adapted into the "Outer Limits" episode Knits My Feeds is thinking of?)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Correct answer was "reconnaissance applications"!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Hope everyone has a good holidays!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjFQpwE3cqE

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Correct answer was "reconnaissance applications"!

Points lost all around for failing to mention the monkey-proof welding.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Rusty also invented the "Vaccuum boom broom", I'm sure it was great in action.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Everybody Comes to Hanks is easily the best episode. Had to say it somewhere.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I have no idea what my favorite episode is but that one is in my top 5.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Shadowman 9: In the Cradle of Destiny. :colbert:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

Shadowman 9: In the Cradle of Destiny. :colbert:

The first 3 episodes of season 3 are all great, I would have a hard time choosing between them.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LashLightning posted:

There's a joke about Star Trek's transporters somewhere here. Hell, there's probably a filk by Tom Smith for this.

There's this explanation about how star trek transporters are actually these really horrifying devices in the sequel to John Dies at the End. It basically boils down to the transporter being a fax machine that shreds the original and builds the copy at the destination with whatever atomic materials are on hand.

So basically, every time someone teleports, they're committing suicide and the person at the other end is just a clone.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

An episode of The Next Generation actually established they do have continuity of consciousnesses through the entire transport procedure and they do keep the same set of particles throughout.

:goonsay:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
That's just what Starfleet wants everyone to think.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Spoilers about The Prestige pretty much the plot of that movie...Wolverine has an amazing teleportation machine, but it turns out it's just cloning him night after night. He goes on each night knowing he's going to die.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wade Wilson posted:

That's just what Starfleet wants everyone to think.

This is getting into some dumb/lazy Terry Nation poo poo

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

A Steampunk Gent posted:

An episode of The Next Generation actually established they do have continuity of consciousnesses through the entire transport procedure and they do keep the same set of particles throughout.

Star Trek is 99% magic anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wade Wilson posted:

There's this explanation about how star trek transporters are actually these really horrifying devices in the sequel to John Dies at the End. It basically boils down to the transporter being a fax machine that shreds the original and builds the copy at the destination with whatever atomic materials are on hand.

So basically, every time someone teleports, they're committing suicide and the person at the other end is just a clone.

Or, if you prefer, the Canadian cartoon "To Be":