Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The Monarch, unable to function without 21 joins SPHINX, takes it over and fights supervillains all while living at the Venture compound and being a massive dick to Rusty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

X_Toad posted:

21 has trouble being his own boss. He was a killer number 2 but he lacks the vision and drive of the Monarch.

Something just hit me : the Monarch has trouble getting over 21 quitting because he was his best man and also a friend, but also because the Monarch thinks that 21 is working for Rusty. And the thought of having his best man going over to Rusty's side is unacceptable to him, he doesn't realise that S.P.H.I.N.X is not under the control of the Ventures.

But Rusty was the monarch's best man.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just caught last week's episode, and I was wondering what was in the display case behind St. Cloud's sunken lounge. I recognized the eye-on-a-stalk from the trash compactor scene in Star Wars alongside what may be the electronic eye that comes out of Jabba's palace in Jedi, but right next to it there's some irregularly shaped brown thing I couldn't place. I don't suppose anyone can place it?

I'm not proud about recognizing the other two, by the way.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm guessing it is the head of the Rancor puppet.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Two props from Return of the Jedi and nothing from Empire?

You need to sterilize St. Cloud! Sterilize!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yeah, that was definitely a Rancor head. They showed it at a different angle that makes it a bit more apparent.

Going back to check this, I also noticed that you can see Helper's silhouette in the display case at St. Cloud's when he's talking with Watch and Ward. It's the little details like this that I really enjoy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

reignofevil posted:

Two props from Return of the Jedi and nothing from Empire?

You need to sterilize St. Cloud! Sterilize!

He has an entire chamber dedicated to Empire Strikes Back :smug:.

Though considering how Billy stomped him in the trivia stand off, maybe he thinks ROTJ is the better of the OT?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Billy was outright wrong.

St Cloud was wrong in that he said they SAID Nomad was a robot in the episode (which they don't). However, an autonomous space probe is a robot.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Sash! posted:

St Cloud was wrong in that he said they SAID Nomad was a robot in the episode (which they don't). However, an autonomous space probe is a robot.

So what's the dividing line between computer and robot?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If you can't answer, you can always just eat the pennies.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobulus posted:

So what's the dividing line between computer and robot?

Autonomy. But the definition of robot is vague anyway.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

greatn posted:

Autonomy. But the definition of robot is vague anyway.

Indeed. I work for NASA and we call them robots.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sash! posted:

Indeed. I work for NASA and we call them robots.

I hope you pronounce them "Rho-buts", Dr. Zoidberg style!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

Their world is ruled by pop culture. If Kirk didn't call it a robot, it's not a robot.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alternately, it's not so much about being "right" or "wrong", but about convincing your trivia opponent that you know more about the subject than they do. Billy's ability to recall all the nouns used for NOMAD completely bowled McCloud over, meaning he didn't need to be correct to win.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, if we're going by some sort of commonly held definition, there's no way that Dr. Theopolis would count as a robot either, except that Buck must have called him one. Trivia's all about recall of information about the thing itself and not analysis of the thing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You realize people who obsess over and debate horrible minutiae of TV shows are the people being made fun of right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

twistedmentat posted:

Get Billy West in there and have them another duo. That gets killed the same episode they show up.

I doubt VB can afford either of them.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

theflyingexecutive posted:

You realize people who obsess over and debate horrible minutiae of TV shows are the people being made fun of right?

Yeah but the creators know the trivia, they're making fun of themselves a little too. The same way we're all laughing at ourselves when we laugh at the 21s and Billy Quizboys of the show.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is Venture Bros new tonight? The thread didn't get sticky with the rest of the shows.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Is Venture Bros new tonight? The thread didn't get sticky with the rest of the shows.

It is!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

It's not an hour long like the premiere, though. :smith:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gorilla Salad posted:

The Monarch, unable to function without 21 joins SPHINX, takes it over and fights supervillains all while living at the Venture compound and being a massive dick to Rusty.
I hate you for this, because now I want to see a thing that will never happen.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

LividLiquid posted:

I hate you for this, because now I want to see a thing that will never happen.

It would be appropriate, given that Rusty has gone full super villain lately. Even Monarch gave his henchmen numbers... Rusty just gave them colour classification. Well, except for Tom, Little Tommy, Thomas, and Tom-Tom.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah but the creators know the trivia, they're making fun of themselves a little too.

Given how obscure a lot of their stuff is, they've got to be holding a ton back.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's not an hour long like the premiere, though. :smith:

Hey at least Venture Brothers is back. :unsmith:

Even if it's just for a short while.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Now that GoT just ended, this is all I have to look forward to on Sunday nights.

I even stay up past my bedtime for it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Now that GoT just ended, this is all I have to look forward to on Sunday nights.

I even stay up past my bedtime for it.

Tonight is a glorious blip of Game of Thrones, followed by Mad Men, followed by Venture Bros.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Any know if this episode will also be put up on Adult Swim's YouTube channel?

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

gently caress it, I'm in for the whole shirt club. I might end up selling some of the shirts I don't like, and it feels good to support the people who make something that gives me so much joy. Plus, gym shirts for the rest of my life!

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Holy poo poo, Dean's a vegetarian now?

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Uh what did Hank just drink?

e: BOOBIES!

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Venturestein!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Venturestein!

Pros-ti-tutes!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Ha ha Hank on coffee is like he is on cocaine.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Liked the iPad orientation joke.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Oh no dont kill Venturstein :(

knife super power
Nov 4, 2010
THIS IS NOT A PARACHUTE!!!

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

I just got very excited that Dean with the hair net was one of the Orange County resistance fighters...oh well.

Fake Edit: loving Bachman! I hope they use her more than in that scene.

Real Edit: I want a pad that durable.

Dynamite Dog fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hank's War Journal, Entry No. 1