Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

SeanBeansShako posted:

It was the best first episode of the show I ever saw.

Same. I was sold on the whole show by the time Dr. Venture Sr. started shouting "Can you hear me, Major Tom!?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sataere posted:

Do you have a pen, Hank?

To use as a magic wand?

To use as a pen.

The way Hank says it is more of a confident statement than a question; There is no reality he can conceive of where Dr. Orpheus is going to ask him to do anything other than perform a spell, immediately.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sataere posted:

Do you have a pen, Hank?

To use as a magic wand?

To use as a pen.

I still can't believe that this Hank, this incredible idiot Hank, became the guy who pulls an Aladdin to get a date with a super-villain/mobster's daughter.

It's incredible how much he's changed.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I think I posted it before but Hank and Dean were really stupid in Season 1. Hell they run away from home because of a huge misunderstanding. 21's incompetentence is how he accidentally kills Hank and Dean. Alot of characters were rough around the edges in season one (except Brock, because he's Brock loving Samson, and Dr.O)

Probably the best episode showing how intelligent/versatile Hank is when he tries to join SPHINX SPHINX! and he owns the hell out of all their trials.

Another one is the whole big reveal Dean not wanting to tell Hank they are clones because how Hank would react. What happens when Dean finally tells him? Hank rolls with it and says that's really badass and they are the best clones if they lasted this long.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 9, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was really upset with myself that it took at least a decade for me to realize the end of season 1 is the end of Easy Rider.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I was really upset with myself that it took at least a decade for me to realize the end of season 1 is the end of Easy Rider.

That song is a tear-jerker. Seriously. For "fun," listen to the full version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHLxIv1Z0nY

Even the ending title cards are somber versions of what we'd seen for the rest of the season (and series, at that point).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tristesse posted:

Same. I was sold on the whole show by the time Dr. Venture Sr. started shouting "Can you hear me, Major Tom!?!"

It's what introduced me and my older brother to David Bowie, and for that I'll be eternally grateful to the show

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

When I introduce people with that episode, I seriously time how long it takes them to laugh and judge their music knowledge accordingly. :smug:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

I had never realized this. God this show is the best.

drrockso20 posted:

It's what introduced me and my older brother to David Bowie, and for that I'll be eternally grateful to the show

Ditto! & Pulp.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I was already very familiar with Bowie and that particular song before I even knew this show existed.

So, the musical act that this show introduced me to was... Klaus Nomi. Go and YouTube "Nomi Song" if you don't know who he is.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Brock and HELPeR arguing about Zeppelin might be my favorite bit from the whole series

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

And if she hurt those boys I’m going to take her out permanently this time!

*helper beeps* Maya Angelou?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

And if she hurt those boys I’m going to take her out permanently this time!

*helper beeps* Maya Angelou?

Close...

H.E.L.P.eR. beeps for several seconds

What is that, Shel Silverstein?

H.E.L.P.eR. beeps for several seconds

Well, I don't think Maya Angelou was talking about this chick. She's as deadly as they come, and if she hurts those boys again, I'm gonna take her down permanently this time!

H.E.L.P.eR. beeps a few times

No, not Maya Angelou!

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 10, 2018

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

tarlibone posted:

I was already very familiar with Bowie and that particular song before I even knew this show existed.

So, the musical act that this show introduced me to was... Klaus Nomi. Go and YouTube "Nomi Song" if you don't know who he is.

If you haven't seen it already, Bowie's performance of The Man Who Sold the World with Klaus Nomi is phenominal. Bowie's rocking a gosh darn snowcone: https://vimeo.com/34212199.

They also do a fun take on TVC-15: https://vimeo.com/152500331

(you've probably already seen it but posting for those who haven't)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

HelpER beeping maya angelou is one of the only times i’ve ever been able to understand what Doc or Jackson is rattling into that little voice changing box they use to make his beeps.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

tarlibone posted:

I'm in this boat.
Grew up on Bowie and Iggy, but Klaus was new. That and the Residents.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I love that Dermott is first to realise that he and others can understand HelpER after spending enough time around him, but can't figure out how and no one else knows.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Another musical act I was introduced to through this show was Crash Test Dummies, found a copy of God Shuffles His Feet at a thrift store like a week after that special

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

"I vasn't in ze stooges"

And I never got the Residents reference until just now. I thought he said 'I'm in the residence.' like an old dude trying to be hip and loving up in the house.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the same character taught me of both klaus nomi and taco

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What a Cartoon's episode of Venture Bros is up
https://podtail.com/en/podcast/what-a-cartoon/

It's basically just like reading this thread, they even make fun of the nerds who obsess over the "its about failure!" quote from years ago.

Also, it made me really sad that Doc and Jackson are in their 50s. Somehow I always felt they were only slightly older than me.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Holy poo poo really? gently caress i’m getting old.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
50s???

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They were in their 30s when the show came out almost 20 years ago. Venture bros. premiered in feb, 2003.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

Also, it made me really sad that Doc and Jackson are in their 50s. Somehow I always felt they were only slightly older than me.

That seems wrong. Going by Google.. Jackson Publick is 46,

tho right in that Doc Hammer is 51.

That does kinda check out given that they both clearly grew up in the 80s.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The World Inferno posted:

That seems wrong. Going by Google.. Jackson Publick is 46,

tho right in that Doc Hammer is 51.

That does kinda check out given that they both clearly grew up in the 80s.

I'm 40 and have pretty much the same cultural references that they do, so I assumed they were roughly that, but then they both worked on the Animated Tick which I watched in High School.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Younger than I thought.

sanko
Sep 11, 2001
Lies.

twistedmentat posted:

What a Cartoon's episode of Venture Bros is up
https://podtail.com/en/podcast/what-a-cartoon/

It's basically just like reading this thread

Thanks for posting this; I haven’t listened to the show before but I’m definitely giving this ep a whirl. Not entirely surprising that it sounds like this thread since one of the hosts has been a front page writer for like 12 years.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sanko posted:

Thanks for posting this; I haven’t listened to the show before but I’m definitely giving this ep a whirl. Not entirely surprising that it sounds like this thread since one of the hosts has been a front page writer for like 12 years.

Yup. A lot of the episodes sound like SA threads. Its probably not needed to be said, but start from the beginning, as the Batman TAS episode is great, and it never really dips in quality, even when they're talking about shows I didn't care about (Dexters Labratory) or outright hated (Bobby's World).

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Venture Brothers is apparently returning sometime this summer.

Really curious if this means we're getting a special or if it's really that far along already.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
https://news.avclub.com/the-venture-bros-are-coming-back-this-summer-1826336164

Back this summer (hopefully).

edit: The World Inferno is faster than me! :argh:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The World Inferno posted:

Venture Brothers is apparently returning sometime this summer.

Really curious if this means we're getting a special or if it's really that far along already.

OK... I'm making this comment just to compliment you on your avatar. That looks like it could be one of the antagonist unions in Venture Bros.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Until i see it on my tv...
It'll come out the 9:30 pm 9/22 and even then i have my doubts.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

tarlibone posted:

OK... I'm making this comment just to compliment you on your avatar. That looks like it could be one of the antagonist unions in Venture Bros.

Cheers! To be fair, the band it's from would make for pretty great roving troupe of anti-hero/villains.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Yessssss finally some good news ITT!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Good.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

twistedmentat posted:

Yup. A lot of the episodes sound like SA threads. Its probably not needed to be said, but start from the beginning, as the Batman TAS episode is great, and it never really dips in quality, even when they're talking about shows I didn't care about (Dexters Labratory) or outright hated (Bobby's World).

Most of the episodes are good but I stopped listening to the clone wars episodes about 90 seconds in after the disappointment of realizing its not about the amazing Genndy Tartakovsky miniseries but the CGI cartoon from years later

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Cacafuego posted:

Yessssss finally some good news ITT!

Just news in regards to VB makes it a good day!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

420 Gank Mid posted:

Most of the episodes are good but I stopped listening to the clone wars episodes about 90 seconds in after the disappointment of realizing its not about the amazing Genndy Tartakovsky miniseries but the CGI cartoon from years later

To be fair once you get past the rough first couple of episodes The Clone Wars is actually pretty good

But I do agree that the earlier one is probably the single best piece of media the franchise has ever done outside of the original trilogy, the Thrawn trilogy of novels, and the Tales of The Jedi series of comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Saw someone in LA yesterday wearing the grey OSI shirt. It’s been a while since I’ve seen someone in a VB shirt club shirt.

Speaking of that - what are the odds on getting another shirt club for this season?