Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
24’s death helped Gary grow and he’s more of a badass. He’s still a huge dork but he can now throw down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Shindragon posted:

24’s death helped Gary grow and he’s more of a badass. He’s still a huge dork but he can now throw down.

He's one of like 4-5 people that has fought Brock Sampson and lived.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
as long as we're going back and fleshing out one liners i expect to see the return of skye, the raver girl doc allegedly knocked up on his quest around the world

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Has anyone discussed this week's shirt? It would look a lot better if it were Venture Blue. Maybe they have to work with generic shirt colors to keep costs down, but I'm not too hot on that shirt.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

luxury handset posted:

as long as we're going back and fleshing out one liners i expect to see the return of skye, the raver girl doc allegedly knocked up on his quest around the world

i always took that as he met and fell in love with her there and that was just some hosed up ecstasy thing he said. we already have that plotline with Dermott and they arent gonna do a better, funnier character than him.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

luxury handset posted:

given that in the most recent episode he astral projects so he wont' be late to a meeting and also exorcises the lobby i'm guessing he could have raised 24 from the dead but chose not to and gave gary a cheap excuse

Yeah, this, pretty much.

For one thing, Orpheus didn't say he wasn't a necromancer; he just said that the word gets tossed around a lot, and he does more than just that. Also, I got the impression that it was important that Twenty-Four didn't have a body anymore. Reagan, Evel Knievel, even Hank and Dean had bodies. Twenty-One had Twenty-Four's finger and skull, which wasn't enough. He may be a necromancer, but even necromancers have minimum requirements in order to do their thing. There wasn't enough left of Twenty-Four to go on living once he was reunited with his soul.

And, yeah, it is his job, not his hobby. Twenty-One already got rid of the one thing he could use to barter with.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bust Rodd posted:

i always took that as he met and fell in love with her there and that was just some hosed up ecstasy thing he said. we already have that plotline with Dermott and they arent gonna do a better, funnier character than him.
I also interpreted it as "we're gonna [run off and get married and] have a child" rather than "she's already pregnant".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really missed the way Orpheus speaks. "stuck in bumper upon bumper traffic"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like to think that the real rusty venture is the monarch and that the two got mixed up at one point. Interesting first episode but I basically have no expectations at this point.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I hope there's some Dermott this season but I'm skeptical.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I think Rusty and The Monarch are going to end up being brothers and M's hate is all about some childhood crap.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I hope there's some Dermott this season but I'm skeptical.

It'd be hard to get him to New York without seeming contrived.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cloks posted:

He seems like the type to buy a bus ticket to try to bum some money off his newly-rich friends.

Keeping him around would be weird but one appearance or two could make sense.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cloks posted:

Hank is probably too preoccupied with Sirena to bother hustling for shallow gravy gigs in the big city... typical

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He seems like the type to buy a bus ticket to try to bum some money off his newly-rich friends.

Keeping him around would be weird but one appearance or two could make sense.

nah, dermott totally bought a bus ticket but then he had to fight a bunch of ninjas at the bus station and after he kicked their asses he kamehameha'd so hard that his jacket puffed up and the ticket flew out of his pocket and into the storm drain where it was eaten by a crocodile. dermott beat up the crocodile but the ticket was too chewed up, so lame :(

(he's a townie who will never work up the nerve to leave his desert home)

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I hope they never get desperate enough to do a "Dermott comes to the big city to demand his slice of the inheritance!" episode, but on the other hand I love Dermott and would enjoy more Dermott content.

Maybe they'll need to visit the scorched remnants of the compound at some point and can run into him along the way.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I was a little worried about the shirt club based on the pre-order exclusive. But I remembered the rest previous seasons being a lot more low-key, and the Problem shirt is right up my alley. I'd love some stuff like the old Hank Co. shirt. I saw a few people sad Vincenzo's wasn't the first one, but I'm hoping it'll make an appearance later. It really would be a great shirt.

Also:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Brock pulling himself up onto boat in pirate episode with the glowing eyes

https://i.imgur.com/B3cCQTo.gifv

And why not the whole ghost-punching incident
https://i.imgur.com/mzZRThs.gifv

I'll get to your request soon, NowonSA.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Anyone who is genuinely worried about 'killing' jonas sr inside the machine probably needs to consider that Jonas was almost certainly well and truly dead when they stuffed him into the problem light in the first place. Not really any reason to be afraid that this time he'll be a corpse for good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm going to be gone for a week so I found the second episode and watched it so I'll be able to participate in the discussion on Monday. This show is great and I can't wait for episode 3 to see how this ends up.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

reignofevil posted:

Anyone who is genuinely worried about 'killing' jonas sr inside the machine probably needs to consider that Jonas was almost certainly well and truly dead when they stuffed him into the problem light in the first place. Not really any reason to be afraid that this time he'll be a corpse for good.

i just dont know why they would set it up so that we have confirmed that jonas' head (and brain!) are more or less intact unless they intend to do something with that. and "head in a jar" is a pretty big sci fi trope that they haven't touched on yet

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

reignofevil posted:

That's why he's dead for good now. "I thought my father was dead all this time but it turned out he was alive in this box but White just killed him so it doesn't matter" is about the most Venture ending I can think of.

But who knows, maybe they'll surprise me!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I still can't help but think Killinger is behind all this.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm just imagining rusty having a real one sided heart to heart where he is just unleashing decades of built up resentment and it keeps cutting back to jonas' drooling, unresponsive head in a baking pan full of science fluids, eyes all rolled back, tongue hanging out, not saying anything

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still can't help but think Killinger is behind all this.

Not a very forward-looking move. Them getting the Jonas stuff definitively answered might seem like looking backward on the surface, but unless they fully resolve it now that'll always be a shadow hanging over the show. Cutting Jonas loose and solving his mystery is the only way for them to really allow the show to grow untethered.

The more I think about it, the more I do hope that Pete put an end to it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It was one thing to have Jonas' death be a mystery that we'd probably never get to understand. It's a total dick move to write in a chance to resolve it and then within 30 seconds destroy that chance forever.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Whatever they decide to do with it will probably be awesome.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I didn’t realize Kimson Albert had left.

Comrade Quack fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 6, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cojawfee posted:

It was one thing to have Jonas' death be a mystery that we'd probably never get to understand. It's a total dick move to write in a chance to resolve it and then within 30 seconds destroy that chance forever.

Yup! That's super Venture Bros.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

luxury handset posted:

Honestly I'd love if that happened, she shows up with a toddler, and now the rest of the cast just has to deal with this incredibly mundane but utterly world changing turn of events

Cloks posted:

His "Mom" finds out Rusty is rich now and they head off to NYC to mooch money off Rusty seems like a good excuse to me

Cojawfee posted:

Agreed

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In any case, based off the ending of both episodes being the Ventech building going nuts after Pete axes the box, I'm guessing something truly crazy is about to happen.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Phenotype posted:

That's why he's dead for good now.

For what it's worth, the episode that just aired had a whole lotta ghosts floating around.

Get the feeling that we'll get a sendoff, good Rust and Pa moment, then he'll gently caress off forever or something.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Comrade Quack posted:

Some other dude stole his quote gimmick in episode 2's credits, though I didn't notice it in ep 1.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Some other dude stole his quote gimmick in episode 2's credits, though I didn't notice it in ep 1.

I noticed that he was gone only because the Episode 1 credits didn't have the nickname gag. I wonder what a good one would have been?

Kimson "Blood Vessel" Albert

Kimson "PROBLEM" Albert

Kimson "Flipper Baby" Albert

Kimson "Skeeve" Albert

Kimson "Your Papa" Albert

revolther
May 27, 2008
The Ventech building racking in the background looked a lot like a classic shoulder animation, I really don't think they're gonna have the whole building Voltron out, but I can't figure out why it was so unnatural otherwise.

Trying to think if anywhere else in these 2eps but Ventech was also in the race to midnight Alien Jonas episode.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

revolther posted:

The Ventech building racking in the background looked a lot like a classic shoulder animation, I really don't think they're gonna have the whole building Voltron out, but I can't figure out why it was so unnatural otherwise.

Trying to think if anywhere else in these 2eps but Ventech was also in the race to midnight Alien Jonas episode.

The best way to bring jonas back would be to have him a main character, in the body of a gigantic skyscraper, for the rest of the series

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

revolther posted:

i bet that bastard JJ designed his headquarters office tower to also transform into a giant robot

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

The best way to bring jonas back would be to have him a main character, in the body of a gigantic skyscraper, for the rest of the series

It's be great to have a one-off re-do of the intro with the giant skyscraper running, like they did with the season 2 opening featuring Rusty and J.J. running in place of Dean and Hank.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tatsuta Age posted:

He's in the Problem Box until it finishes regenerating him in a further 50 years, but they do whack together a motorized cart for it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, Orpheus did say that he was trying to run away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Comrade Quack posted:

at least he's still keeping the tradition alive on a show created by fellow former VB animation director