Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Edit: beaten. Granted it could just be a jaws reference which was everywhere in that episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Pick posted:

Drowning in the orange color palette world.

Oh, doy. I was thinking episode 2 like the second episode ever and all I could think of was Doc's twin eating dream.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shindragon posted:

As for the airplane crash could have been a malfunction. Not everything Rusty touches crashes. Almost. :v:
They were both kids, Rusty could have said something off-hand like "I hope your plane crashes" right before they took off and the Monarch internalized that. He doesn't remember knowing Rusty as a kid either, that's why the old photo blew his mind.

I guess they could have both taken a trip through the SPHINX "washing machine."

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

qirex posted:

I guess they could have both taken a trip through the SPHINX "washing machine."

Given that Rusty remembered neither Malcolm nor Hector, the writers have plenty of fodder for all sorts of mistreatment of kid Rusty. Erasing his childhood friends as soon as they weren't convenient to Jonas Sr. seems plausible, but so is "Doc is just a jerk" or any other of show-appropriate explanations.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Whatever they do on the Monarch/Rusty, Vendata/Blue Morpho origin thing I’m half expecting a swerve a la “Dermott is Rusty’s kid, not Brock’s”. Let’s see if they pull it off.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
What is the best way to watch now? Does AS stream it at a certain time?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

How do you guys still have the energy to speculate? I'm strapped in for the ride and loving what I've been seeing so far, but I have no interest in trying to guess where the show is going to go next. Especially when a new episode is going to air every Sunday. There will be plenty of downtime once this season wraps up to theorize every little detail of the future.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Whatever they do on the Monarch/Rusty, Vendata/Blue Morpho origin thing I’m half expecting a swerve a la “Dermott is Rusty’s kid, not Brock’s”. Let’s see if they pull it off.

Yeah, the most obvious path is:

- Rusty does something innocuous that results in the Blue Morpho and his family getting in a plane (demands Malcolm show up to his birthday party or something?). Plane crashes.
- Both Malcolm and BM blame Rusty for the crash.
- Kano was the pilot of the crash and blames himself for the BM's death. He takes a vow of silence and joins Team Venture on a full-time basis.
- BM is rebuilt into Venturion. He remembers how he died and tries to kill Rusty. He attacks Rusty and is ejected from the compound and becomes Vendata.
- Malcolm grows up hating Rusty but no knowing why. He tries to kill him with a bomb in college but fails, and becomes the Mighty Monarch.

Obviously, they could pull a fast one on us.

Hmm. Oh! Here's a weird idea.Since episodes one and two were happening concurrently, what if episode three does the same thing? An entire episode showing Blue Morpho setting all this up. Taking the car, hiding the MorphoCave, driving up to the Venture building, throw in a few flashbacks that explain how he died, and the episode ends with him bonding with the Monarch over their shared hatred of the Venture family (right before Red Skull lops his head off for that sweet, sweet Council seat).

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I would not be surprised of the third one is Blue Morphos point of view seeing as the preview shows a very confused Rusty.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I look forward to the revelation that pulls the rug out from under all these theories now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's easy to expect some kind of secret half brother/twins thing but they've already done both those angles with Jonas Jr. and Dermott. I hope it's something innocuous and stupid [team plastic cowboy in the wires!].

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

SeanBeansShako posted:

I look forward to the revelation that pulls the rug out from under all these theories now.

Fine with me. I am not one of those smugs who go heh called it. It’s been a while since the thread has been this active. :unsmith: I wanna enjoy this while it lasts cuz we are only getting ten episodes and this thread tends to go quiet once the season is over.

I also really doubt they are gonna do the Rusty and Monarch are half brothers thing. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just something small because Monarch is that drat petty. Though then again he did try to kill Rusty before arching.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Red Death found the Morpho Cave pretty easy. What if he found a way to set up the whole thing and found the secret "hide the morpho cave" button just so he can kill some random guy (that he tricked into showing up in a blue morpho costume) and get a seat on the council while not murdering one of his favorite fellow villains and husband of another council member. Boom, taken care of in the first 60 seconds of the next episode.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Well guys, I broke down and bought the book. Will look through it once I have enough free time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't care what they do as long as it is good. There are a lot of fan theories that are pretty good and I'd be annoyed if they were going to do that until someone else came up with it as well. They take the time to write these big build ups, and ending things in a wet fart is annoying.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, they would never spend a lot of time building up something important only to--

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, and it was kind of annoying.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Fair enough. Personally I'm a big fan of the VB-style anticlimax.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Machai posted:

Red Death found the Morpho Cave pretty easy. What if he found a way to set up the whole thing and found the secret "hide the morpho cave" button just so he can kill some random guy (that he tricked into showing up in a blue morpho costume) and get a seat on the council while not murdering one of his favorite fellow villains and husband of another council member. Boom, taken care of in the first 60 seconds of the next episode.

It's gonna be Copy-Cat, who already successfully impersonated the Monarch and has been doing nothing in the story since.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

It's gonna be Copy-Cat, who already successfully impersonated the Monarch and has been doing nothing in the story since.

lmao maybe monarch is still in that closet

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The extra week of speculation that the leak gave us all brain-rot. Me included.

(PROBLEM-Jonas getting hacked by Pete sent out a distress signal to the Monarch's father who has been in hiding this whole time ala the post-credits of Infinity War. The Triad showing back up was totally just an excuse for them to both kill Jonas and also give Rusty closure due to Orpheus being a necromancer who can have him speak to rusty after death)

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 15, 2018

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Nah Copy Cat was working with Wide Wale to discredit him and that doesn't work if he doesn't dump him back out on the street for Sheila to find and get pissed about after taking his costume to piss all over Venture's penthouse.

Guess that doesn't mean Red Death couldn't have gotten him to dress up as BM to give Monarch cover since he's taken a shine to him. Plus it's not clear that killing one of his copies actually goes in his original, we don't really have any clarity on how that power works. Still think the Vendata angle is more likely.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 15, 2018

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

qirex posted:

It's easy to expect some kind of secret half brother/twins thing but they've already done both those angles with Jonas Jr. and Dermott.
Actually, the JJ and Dermott things make it feel a bit more likely to me. One of the show's recurring twists is redefining who "The Venture Brothers" actually refers to. First it was obviously Hank & Dean... then they died. The season two opener's title sequence makes it clear that now "The Venture Brothers" are Rusty and JJ. After that "The Venture Brothers" are Hank, Dean, and Dermott. There's a season of existential angst where learning he's a clone makes Dean unsure if they even are "The Venture Brothers." So Rusty & Monarch being (half?) brothers would give the show's title yet another re-definition to add to that list.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know, I just realized that Wide Wale is hosed right now.

He kidnapped and tortured The Monarch over his brother and the fact that he was the Blue Morpho would have let him get away with it. However, if the blame of the Blue Morpho is successfully transferred to the person at the end of the episode, then Wide Wale doesn't even have revenge to fall back on since his brother is alive.

From the guild's perspective, Wide Wale kidnapped and tortured another guild member with zero cause, making him not much better than the Blue Morpho himself.

At the very least, he's going to lose his council seat (likely to Red Death). He might also lose Venture arching rights as well though.

It will be hilarious if The Monarch gets his way after loving up so badly only to find that arching Venture wasn't as thrilling as being the Blue Morpho.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 15, 2018

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

bull3964 posted:

He kidnapped and tortured The Monarch over his brother and the fact that he was the Blue Morpho would have let him get away with it. However, if the blame of the Blue Morpho is successfully transferred to the person at the end of the episode, then Wide Wale doesn't even have revenge to fall back on since his brother is alive.

From the guild's perspective, Wide Wale kidnapped and tortured another guild member with zero cause, making him not much better than the Blue Morpho himself.

At the very least, he's going to lose his council seat (likely to Red Death). He might also lose Venture arching rights as well though.

It will be hilarious if The Monarch gets his way after loving up so badly only to find that arching Venture wasn't as thrilling as being the Blue Morpho.

Monarch came into his office saying he was the Blue Morpho, and the OSI were the ones that were keeping his brother's non-death a secret. From the guild's perspective he had every right to capture and torture the Monarch, up until the point that it is revealed that his brother is alive and there is another Morpho.

Also, he wouldn't take Wide Wale's seat, they have plenty of other open seats still.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So this is like a total nothing complaint, but does anyone else wish they leaned into Radical Left's gimmick way more and had him constantly spouting out :ussr: rants causing his conservative half to get all riled up? 'Cos as it is I think it would make him a lot more memorable since he's not much beyond Two Face right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Machai posted:

the OSI were the ones that were keeping his brother's non-death a secret.

They were keeping his location a secret. Doug said that if Wide Wale would have bothered to talk to the family once and awhile, he would have known he was alive.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's still not a huge issue and little damage has been done. Wide Wale probably doesn't CARE about arching Venture any more though.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah it felt more he was doing this to make Monarch suffer. I mean he was pretty happy that his brother is alive. He’s probably not gonna stop being a villain. I mean he still has the other heroes working under him so it’s not like he’s hurting for cash.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

khwarezm posted:

So this is like a total nothing complaint, but does anyone else wish they leaned into Radical Left's gimmick way more and had him constantly spouting out :ussr: rants causing his conservative half to get all riled up? 'Cos as it is I think it would make him a lot more memorable since he's not much beyond Two Face right now.

The artbook has a background for this season with what looks to his apartment so presumably he'll get a significant role in at least one episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Keep in mind that Copy Cat's powers are to copy himself, not other people. He dressed in The Monarch's costume, but was still himself. When he made copies of himself, they were still him.

bull3964 posted:

Eh, not really. The Monarch walked into Wide Wale's office and claimed to be the Blue Morpho. Wide Wale was then in his right to capture the Blue Morpho and question him. Whether he should have told the rest of the guild or not is another thing, and probably not a big enough offense to be a major punishment. Realizing it's The Monarch is another reason why he could keep him there and keep beating on him, as The Monarch supposedly killed his brother. Once Doug came back and it was revealed that there is another Blue Morpho, The Monarch was released. I don't see how Wide Wale could be in any real trouble with the guild. He did pretty standard villain poo poo.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Pick posted:

It's still not a huge issue and little damage has been done. Wide Wale probably doesn't CARE about arching Venture any more though.

Besides the Monarch stuff, doesn't Wide Wale still want to get back at the Ventures for breaking the windows of his building when they first arrived in NYC?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mraagvpeine posted:

Besides the Monarch stuff, doesn't Wide Wale still want to get back at the Ventures for breaking the windows of his building when they first arrived in NYC?

That's pretty small potatoes.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Robot Hobo posted:

Actually, the JJ and Dermott things make it feel a bit more likely to me. One of the show's recurring twists is redefining who "The Venture Brothers" actually refers to. First it was obviously Hank & Dean... then they died. The season two opener's title sequence makes it clear that now "The Venture Brothers" are Rusty and JJ. After that "The Venture Brothers" are Hank, Dean, and Dermott. There's a season of existential angst where learning he's a clone makes Dean unsure if they even are "The Venture Brothers." So Rusty & Monarch being (half?) brothers would give the show's title yet another re-definition to add to that list.

The OG Blue Morpho was actually Jonas's brother, Jonas was having an affair with his wife and is the Monarch's real dad. The show is just one long "All You Zombies"-esque tale where every character is eventually revealed to be a Venture Brother in some capacity.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You know...wasn't Brock's mother a single mother? Leaving his father open to...speculation.

It was King Gorilla.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
The Monarch’s story of his parents plans crash/ origin story he makes it sound like no one ever came to check on the plane wreckage or rescue him. If Vendata is the Monarch’s father, Jonas should have started the work to turn him in to Vendata soon after the crash. What if Rusty is responsible for the Monarch not getting rescued?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
How long ago did Dr Duong get blasted?
Cuz Serina didn't know she had an uncle because he was already dead right? And she's what, 18?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
One of Brock's parents was half winnebago. (Or, for completeness sake, I suppose they could both be quarter winnebago.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

deong posted:

How long ago did Dr Duong get blasted?
Cuz Serina didn't know she had an uncle because he was already dead right? And she's what, 18?

She didn’t know because Wide Wale never talked about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Got the Art Book, some neat stuff already and I'm not 20 pages into it

Also I'm really glad they ditched the whole "Rusty outright hates his kids" thing that was in the earliest pitch materials

Lastly they really should finally make use of The Pants Golem of 7th Avenue