Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Mantis42 posted:

Oh my god, for the last time, Red Mantle doesn't lay eggs!

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The funny part is that Smurf reproduction canonically works completely differently, they are technically genderless. Smurfette was an anomaly who was created to infiltrate Smurf society, presumably based on human ideas of being female, and ended up assimilating into it. To the point where when they introduce baby Smurfs later on, they include a baby female Smurf who was likewise specifically created by the Smurfs.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Thanks for the update, Gary.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

What if smurfs are monotremes?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

big dyke energy posted:

Thanks for the update, Gary. Dammit Donnie, why you gotta get so smart on us?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
So I've just got caught up on this season and seeing the composition of the guild as of the last episode is uh ... Dr Phage not around anymore? Did I miss that?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

yeah phage hasn’t been around but i imagine that’s because they couldn’t get bill hader. same reason impossible isn’t around at all either.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TK-42-1 posted:

yeah phage hasn’t been around but i imagine that’s because they couldn’t get bill hader. same reason impossible isn’t around at all either.
Impossible has been voiced by one of the creators. Can't remember which. So if they wanted him, they'd have him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LividLiquid posted:

Impossible has been voiced by one of the creators. Can't remember which. So if they wanted him, they'd have him.

Impossible is voiced by Stephen Colbert and Bill Hader.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Is the season finale going to be movie length or did I dream that?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Impossible has had one of the more turbulent histories in terms of voice actors:

https://urbaniak.livejournal.com/135279.html?loc=interstitialskip

quote:

For the first two seasons of Cartoon Network's "The Venture Bros.", the character of Professor Impossible was voiced by Stephen Colbert. The show's putting together its third season now, and show co-creator (and past TSOYA guest) Jackson Publick tried to get in touch with Colbert, who is now famous. After bouncing from manager to agent to assistant to assistant, he got this snide reply:

"Stephen has neither the time nor the interest in participating in your project."

James Urbaniak, one of the show's stars, had this to say:
As my wife noted, it's an open question why the assistant who wrote that email didn't add the word "little" before the word "project." (One also wonders if Mr. Colbert's lack of interest in the show applies retroactively to the two seasons he's already recorded. The assistant fails to clarify.) Ah well. Such are the consequences of Mr. Colbert's much deserved success. I realize that the person who wrote the email was probably not quoting Mr. Colbert directly and may very likely have had no idea what The Venture Brothers is. Nevertheless (and no one's unhappier about this than I am) I am left with no choice but to put Mr. Colbert on his own board. Guess what, Prof. Impossible-For-Me-To-Do-Any-More-Cartoons? You're on notice!
I mean really... "the interest?" He did do it for the last two seasons. Sheesh. It's complicated to be famous, and it's hard to find good help these days, but this gets a big thumbs down from me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Colbert went on record saying the request wasn't brought to his attention - he voices Impossible in All That and Gargantua-2.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Impossible is voiced by Stephen Colbert and Bill Hader.
Wasn't it Doc or Jackson in Now Museum Now You Don't?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Jackson, per the episode's credits.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

LividLiquid posted:

Wasn't it Doc or Jackson in Now Museum Now You Don't?

yeah it was Jackson

Plus in the pilot he was voiced by Jackson's brother, Peter (who also voiced the mummy brock fought and General Manhowers)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So, yeah, Impossible isn't not around because Colbert wasn't available. I imagine there's just bigger fish to fry at the moment. He got some measure of closure in Gargantua 2.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bill Posters posted:

What if smurfs are monotremes?

Then they're semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammals of action!

(Phineas and Ferb's whole Doof aspect is very Venture Bros)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

LividLiquid posted:

So, yeah, Impossible isn't not around because Colbert wasn't available. I imagine there's just bigger fish to fry at the moment. He got some measure of closure in Gargantua 2.

Impossible not being around was just a side note as to why phage is absent.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Colbert is reprising his roles in Harvey Birdman sometime this fall. I'm pretty sure he loves to do the voice work when he can fit it into the schedule.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Odd tangent, but I'm marathoning Elementary while playing video games and I had to pause and go back a bit because I thought to myself, "Why is Dr Venture being interrogated by Sherlock Holmes?" Sure enough, it was Urbaniak in the episode :)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Colbert is reprising his roles in Harvey Birdman sometime this fall. I'm pretty sure he loves to do the voice work when he can fit it into the schedule.

There's more Harvey Birdman?! :aaa:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There's more Harvey Birdman?! :aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC0zgOJq7CU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Vicissitude posted:

Odd tangent, but I'm marathoning Elementary while playing video games and I had to pause and go back a bit because I thought to myself, "Why is Dr Venture being interrogated by Sherlock Holmes?" Sure enough, it was Urbaniak in the episode :)

Holy poo poo which episode was this

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Pretty sure Urbaniak has had a bit role on every crime show of the past two decades.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Urbaniak shows up in a bunch of stuff and he's always fantastic. He's a genuinely great actor.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
He was my favorite part of Difficult People.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Man I am so sad things will be over soon.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
This is one of the book snippets but I forgot which one went to one of his shows/plays. When they saw Urbaniak they went that’s our Rusty. Dude is just great.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me that there was a movie last year called Dave Made a Maze that is completely unrelated to this show other than Urbaniak playing a supporting role, but it's a cool movie so I just thought I'd bring it up.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Dave Made a Maze is great, yeah.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

oh man... that looks amazing. I hope the judge is Mentok the Mindtaker.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Urbaniak was in the running to play Dwight on the Office, which is why he ended up playing his weird friend in a few episodes. (Imagine if that had gone the other way.) He’s gets a steady steam of guest roles but never seems to quite break through.

I saw him at a comic con a few years back and he was clearly not happy to be surrounded by nerds.

I think the book even said that JP gave Urbaniak the pitch for VB without saying which character he wanted him for, and he immediately said “oh, you want me to play this Dr. Venture guy, right?”

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Henry Fool is a very odd but good movie. To be fair I haven't seen it in a few years but I liked it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I really liked his roll in the game The Magic Circle. He goes full monologue at the end(ish) of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSyxslrQIBs

IUG fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 28, 2018

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Consummate Professional posted:

Henry Fool is a very odd but good movie. To be fair I haven't seen it in a few years but I liked it.
I liked the sequel better, tbh.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Man I really hope the new episode has a good dose of Hank and Dean, the last few episodes have been great but I feel like the guild is taking too much focus when both of the boys have interesting places to go.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
What the gently caress. That ending.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Also, the way they deal with last week's cliffhanger is very Venture Bros.

You get a lot of Hank and a little bit of Dean, including his scrawny body. And I've got only one thing to say to Dean and Sirena : What.The.gently caress? That's one way of dealing with that plot thread I guess, but still : HOW COULD YOU?

My english being what it is, I didn't quite understand what the deal was with S-464, Mission Creep and the weather machine. Could somewhat clear that up for me?

We also didn't get the Green Goblin villain despite this being the snow episode, that was weird.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 28, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Rewatching the comic con trailer (which looking back didn't have any clips from The Unicorn in Captivity), there's only two clips in it that we haven't seen yet

The council in cultish clothes and the horned yeti thing

(edit: fixed)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Rewatching the comic con trailer (which looking back didn't have any clips from The Unicorn in Captivity nor The Terminus Mandate)

There was a Terminus Mandate scene in one of the trailers (the official one, the one on iTunes), when Red Death leaps from the bridge and catches his hell-horse.