Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Scare Bear knows who/ Hank and Dean are because he's a creepy stalker who's always lurking in the background.

You know as soon as Dean went dark I started to think there was a good chance that he'd end up a bitter jaded villain to Hank's chipper adventurous hero now it seems like maybe I was on to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Billzasilver posted:

Holy poo poo which episode was this

Season 6, episode 2 or 3. Check IMDB like I did :p

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Scare Bear knows who/ Hank and Dean are because he's a creepy stalker who's always lurking in the background.

You know as soon as Dean went dark I started to think there was a good chance that he'd end up a bitter jaded villain to Hank's chipper adventurous hero now it seems like maybe I was on to something.

I'm kind of expecting the opposite; Hank ends up the villain while Dean tries to save him as a hero.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 29, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MizPiz posted:

I'm kind of expecting the opposite; Hank ends up the villain while Dean tries to save him as a hero.

"There is no more Enrico. There is only...Matassa." :mad:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Having caught a partner cheating with my best friend decades ago in my formative years, I really don't like that my escapist entertainment is going there.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

LividLiquid posted:

Having caught a partner cheating with my best friend decades ago in my formative years, I really don't like that my escapist entertainment is going there.

Have you not been paying attention the past two years? Fantasy is reality and reality is fantasy. Face the truth and embrace your destiny. Enrico Matassa.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
drat, it only occurred to me now that grover cleveland's time machine explains his mysterious nonconsecutive terms

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wow that episode was loving hilarious. Best episode of a great season

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Where were they supposed to be, the thousand islands region? "Upstate" is loving huge (since it's basically not the burroughs+long island+maybe yonkers, right?) so I guess it could be the hudson instead of the st lawrence.

Also this episode looked amazing.

A little disappointed with the Derenna thing but maybe something great will come out of it. Gonna laugh if they start arching each other in the same house.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 29, 2018

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Scare Bear is Jared's evil alter ego. We already know he likes to wear mascot-like costumes, and there was a noticeable 'stain' on the back of SB's outfit that matches up with Jared's spinneret. It would also explain why he knew exactly where to take Hank.

holy poo poo, and when they met, brock asked if he was loving that bear costume

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Spoonsy posted:

So can we assume that The Monarch gave the Guild the teleportation tech and that Dr. Mrs. joined the council? I can't see why else the Guild would turn to The Monarch otherwise to take care of this mission unless he was seen as a villain on the rise/rebound. If we assume he was given a full increase from the heist and now another from this, would that make him Level 8?

Gonna laugh if it's because someone on the council gave the "expendable and invulnerable" speech about him.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

wow this episode was just....a million different kinds of weird. it was really good, but not funny?

Vicissitude posted:

Season 6, episode 2 or 3. Check IMDB like I did :p

thank you

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Episode was absolutely gorgeous. Doc and Billy flying into the storm was probably the best looking scene of the entire show (either that or Doc getting shot in A Party for Tarzan). But man, Dean/Sirena is probably the most bummed this show has ever made me feel. It’s not funny, it’s not tragic, it’s just... uncomfortable and viscerally unpleasant. I dunno man.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Billzasilver posted:

wow this episode was just....a million different kinds of weird. it was really good, but not funny?

thank you

Humor's hit or miss, but it's baffling to me that you'd think that one wasn't funny. There's too many good bits to list, but it was hitting on all cylinders from the start

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

to me, it was more like and action movie, where it didn't make me laugh, but i wanted to continue watching for two more hours.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

drat, it only occurred to me now that grover cleveland's time machine explains his mysterious nonconsecutive terms

this is me, not quite able to emptyquote a spoiler, but essentially doing so anyway

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I like how Brock and Hatred's relationship

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

I like how Brock and Hatred's relationship

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Remember how the events of the S4 finale broke Dean and forced him to finally grow up?

I think this will be that trigger for Hank.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Captured.... for eternity. Take out the how.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Captured.... for eternity. Take out the how.

lol yeah I agree
that was an emptyquote of emphatic support

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lots of callbacks this episode. Love how cheap a Guild off the grid operation is, and the Monarch and 21 are indeed expendable and invulnerable. And actually pretty good field agents, given they're both skilled and experienced but savvy and cynical enough to not get cocky.

Mission Creep looked like he was wearing what might have been Tank Top's flak vest, but it makes sense if it's his own armour from his OSI days. Figures that there's practically a revolving door between the OSI and the Guild... speaking of, not sure what's going on with the stinger there, but looks like a Guild doublecross. Sheila can be nasty. But in any case, it looks like Mission Creep is meant to be a Rambo parody? There's something very 80s about him, especially with the lawn darts. (pretty sure they're not THAT hard to find on like, Ebay or whatever, but all know what supervillains are like) His name is definitely in the OSI theme, but also refers to the idea of a mission going well outside of its original scope to an untenable degree, and fits quite well with how off the deep end he seems to have gotten, which might be a theme with the Peril Partnership. (was Blind Rage a reference to a particular character in mannerisms, aside from the obvious Daredevil riff?)

And as for Dean and Sirena... there's a lot of offscreen implications there, but I bet it boils down to cabin fever, what with them being stuck inside in a massive blizzard and everything. Oddly enough I wasn't too surprised. They are teenagers after all, in particular sheltered teenagers getting their first taste of independence, and while Sirena enjoys Hank's company, she and Dean have a lot more in common with how sick they are of the arching game and how they're trying to get a taste of normalcy. (I do wonder if the boys being twins contributes to it, Sirena probably finds Dean shares a lot of the features that she likes in Hank, as much as they've diverged) That said, Hank seems to be showing a remarkable amount of sense for... being Hank, as well as having a head injury. That said, if Scare Bear actually is Brown Widow or someone they know, probably woulda been better to take Hank to a hospital, but as I just said, teenagers raised in the arching game aren't sensible.

Hank's paranoia actually being correct (albeit in a more mundane way than he thought) probably isn't going to be healthy for his attitude, but as said, it's probably the kind of thing that's going to make him have to grow up a bit. He's probably not going to take it well.

If Hank or Dean does become a villain, I really wanna see what them joining the Guild looks like.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah, Murder Bear is either Hank's or Dean's stalker. He found wounded Hank because he was following him and he brought him to his cheating girlfriend so Hank could learn the true. Also he showed up at Mister Incredible's vilain hiring because he was stalking Dean who was working as a secretary there at the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also, the Monarch continues to be ridiculously lucky. Something else he possibly shares with Rusty.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Haven't seen the new episode yet but just wanted to say that on the Amazon version of these episodes, I didn't expect the orgy scene from a few episodes back to be fully uncensored but it was. It's also clear it was animated with the understanding it would be blurred out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

axelblaze posted:

Haven't seen the new episode yet but just wanted to say that on the Amazon version of these episodes, I didn't expect the orgy scene from a few episodes back to be fully uncensored but it was. It's also clear it was animated with the understanding it would be blurred out.

Hahahaha I don't know what that implies but I'm not sure I want to find out

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Nothing that bad actually, it just isn't animated very well.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

doc and hammer have said they think its funnier blurred out anyways

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

See the original censor bars for Brock Samson's penis.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
There's definitely a bunch of non-serial stuff going on this season. It makes me wonder if there's going to be a big reveal at the end that makes sense of it all.

Things that are still kind of hovering in the background — have I missed any?:

1) Doc apparently knows that his orgy with the Illuminati wasn't real, or at least, he knows he hasn't gotten laid in three seasons. Mysteriously, he doesn't seem to be openly pissed with the OSI about this.
2) On the other hand, Doc's relationship with Brock has gotten worse and worse in a low-key way. How many times this season has Doc asked Brock to be helpful in some way only to get blown off? It's not very surprising, because I think it's clear that Brock likes Rusty enough not to want him dead, but doesn't really have any loyalty to him beyond that and will absolutely screw him over to benefit OSI.
3) What happened to the teleporters? They're apparently a technology so powerful it could overthrow the status quo, and the Guild has them. (And I guess Rusty still knows how to build them.)
4) Sheila's work-life balance. I guess she's chosen work? She keeps giving the Monarch really big opportunities to advance, which is open nepotism, but honestly she probably should have done that before. All the Monarch really needs to be happy is to arch Rusty, enough cheating to get him there is all she'll ever have to do. They're evil, anyway.

If I was going to make a theory, and why not, I'd say that the season is going to end with the reveal that Rusty and Dr. Mrs. the Monarch have been secretly collaborating on some kind of plot against the OSI. Basically all the things I just mentioned relate either to Rusty or Sheila doing some thinking that happened off-screen, and they both have good reason to hate the OSI.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's my guess that nothing will be tied up at all this season and that over the next fifteen years we'll get a trickle of retroactively-applied bows.

But hey, it works.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Das Boo posted:

It's my guess that nothing will be tied up at all this season and that over the next fifteen years we'll get a trickle of retroactively-applied bows.

Or that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Brock loves Hank and Dean which is why he stuck around. The fact that he's assigned there by the OSI means he also has to protect Rusty, but he doesn't have to like Rusty. He clearly doesn't like Rusty anymore.

Regarding Sheilas nepotism, she at least is making The Monarch prove himself. She gives him opportunities, but he still has to meet the requirements and pull it off. He's pretty much on an improvement plan to help get him back to where he used to be.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Rand Brittain posted:

1) Doc apparently knows that his orgy with the Illuminati wasn't real, or at least, he knows he hasn't gotten laid in three seasons. Mysteriously, he doesn't seem to be openly pissed with the OSI about this.
Maybe Rusty is just hoping they'll let him use the simulator again. He invented the Joy Can, and this is the same effect, but without the haunting. It would be very much his style to be put through that ordeal and simply ask/demand another ride in the VR gently caress machine.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
Semi-related: If anyone's going to New York Comic-Con, Dark Horse just announced that Doc and Jackson are doing a signing at their booth on Friday afternoon at 5pm

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rusty seems to have started to realise that Brock's job is to watch and report on him as much (or more) as it is to guard him. That and possibly since Rusty seems to actually get along better with Hatred he's started to realise how little they have in common.

We've had some season finales (or openers) that change the context of everything up to that point. Heck, this season's opener was one. (albeit in a way that a lot of people predicted) The one where Hunter's SPHINX first shows up comes to mind. Rusty being up to something on the side wouldn't surprise me, likewise with Sheila. Not to mention the cameo of the time travelling Rusty and Billy, though the joke is that could be called back to at absolutely any point in the show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the Grover Cleveland Time machine bit would have been funnier if the season 1 Venture gang came out of it just before they get captured by The Monarch.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

3) What happened to the teleporters? They're apparently a technology so powerful it could overthrow the status quo, and the Guild has them. (And I guess Rusty still knows how to build them.)
They will come back, they're featured in the extended trailer they showed at the San Diege Comic Con (beware of spoilers though, there are at least two clips in there that we haven't seen yet) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiK7kROoPJs&t=1343s

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cmon brock, like rusty. I know it hurts. I know it's tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lots of callbacks this episode. Love how cheap a Guild off the grid operation is, and the Monarch and 21 are indeed expendable and invulnerable. And actually pretty good field agents, given they're both skilled and experienced but savvy and cynical enough to not get cocky.

Mission Creep looked like he was wearing what might have been Tank Top's flak vest, but it makes sense if it's his own armour from his OSI days.

Yeah, Monarch and Gary are the new 21 and 24. Except more competent. But still, 21 and 24.

For Mission Creep... one of his legs had armor from Galacticon, it looks like. Also, one of his shoulder pieces was from Ünderbheit's costume. And I think he has a Monarch Henchman utility pouch on one of his arms. I wonder if we can identify all of his armor from previous episodes?

Oh... Gary does the Cub Scout salute after Mission Creep is killed, not the Boy Scout one. And did anyone else notice the little Team Venture-style gesture Gary and Monarch did when they said "Dream Team" after Mission Creep died?