Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

tarlibone posted:

Hank said "Wednesday" instead of pink when Brock pointed out the side effects of the memory wipe to Doc, and Dean identified one of the days of the week as"Sagittarius." It never came up again, though, so I guess they got better.

As for the cloning... I don't think that messed them up, but I'm not sure. Hank sort-of remembers jumping off the Venture Compound dressed as Batman, though he's not sure if it's a memory or a dream... so... maybe?

The book states that the boys sort of know not to do whatever killed him and kinda half remember what happened when they died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Can we all agree that the Brock "pasghetti" riff was one of the funniest bits all season?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was funny but, for some reason, I really don't like when Billy shouts out what they've been talking about. Like when he says "it's veal piccata!" or when he shouted "pasghetti" in this episode.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Cojawfee posted:

It was funny but, for some reason, I really don't like when Billy shouts out what they've been talking about. Like when he says "it's veal piccata!" or when he shouted "pasghetti" in this episode.

I love it enough for both of us, Billy getting insanely excited about veal piccata is 100% my poo poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm loving all the scare bear theories but none of them feel quite right to me. But it also doesn't seem like just nothing, it feels like this is going somewhere.

As my two cents, everybody seems to be assuming that scare bear knew that Hank and Sirena were cheating on Dean, but that may have been a co-incidence. He may just be someone that knows Hank is related to Dean.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Mission Creep is a Grade A name incidentally

Yeah I actually said "oh that's great" out loud

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I'm rewatching the whole series for the first time since, idk, season 4?

it's, of course, real good- but what's most striking to me is that it seems like they've realllly opened up the scene framings- the first four seasons or so have lots and lots of close, tight, cramped shots that work in the context of the episodes, but aren't the large, sweeping scenes we get more often in the NYC seasons

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Peanut Butler posted:

I'm rewatching the whole series for the first time since, idk, season 4?

it's, of course, real good- but what's most striking to me is that it seems like they've realllly opened up the scene framings- the first four seasons or so have lots and lots of close, tight, cramped shots that work in the context of the episodes, but aren't the large, sweeping scenes we get more often in the NYC seasons

The budget got bigger

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think scare bear is a supernatural being that knows everything.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't know why, but the Monach being called Malcolm seems so right. Also I guess Legally they're Malcolm and Sheila Fitzcarraldo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Scare Bear is one of the production-series H.E.L.P.eR. bots that escaped being destroyed. Over the past 40 years the speaker system has gone a bit weird which is why you mostly hear heavy breathing out of it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Scare Bear is a blackula, using the costume to hide from Jefferson Twilight.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

The budget got bigger

Were the early seasons even in HD?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Fighting Trousers posted:

Can we all agree that the Brock "pasghetti" riff was one of the funniest bits all season?

Yeah. I mean, I've heard Brock say and correctly use some fairly complex words, so I'm not sure why "spaghetti" gives him any trouble, but the scene with Doc and Billy that it sets up was really cute and funny. The way Doc and Billy both immediately keyed in on "pasketti" with childlike glee was funny--it was like they were just accidentally handed a new toy, and they couldn't help themselves. "Does it look like a caterpillar? Can you say 'library?'"

Billy saying that he felt six feet tall was my favorite part of that scene. He's finally bested Brock. (And I was thinking that "Pasketti!" was going to be the Titmouse audio byte, but I was wrong.)

PostNouveau posted:

Oh, so he's an African American vampire.

Mantis42 posted:

Were the early seasons even in HD?

Nope. The opening, pre-title-sequence scenes are in a 16:9 aspect ratio, but it's letterboxed 4:3. HD didn't enter the picture until Season 3, if memory serves.

According to the book, the 1st season in particular had ugly backgrounds that they hated, but that they had to deal with because they didn't create them themselves and didn't give detailed enough notes to the artists who did create them.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 2, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
wait, pasketti isn't a seperate thing? I've heard it enough to figure that they were.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hey, twistedmentat. Say "library".

e: say "espresso"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I mean, they could probably make the pilot HD, because it was made in flash. Who knows if they even have the original files anymore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The pasketti thing felt like their counterpart to the Monarch and Gary giggling over getting St Cloud to say 'penis'.

And it feels kinda fitting that St Cloud actually looks somewhat intimidating when he's arching Billy and Pete specifically, but whenever he's actually shown with anyone else he looks ridiculous.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phenotype posted:

Yea yea, but i've seriously heard pasketti way to many times to think its different pasta dish from spaghetti. There is a young woman from Italy that works in my department and she's taught me how to say all the pasta's correctly. The number of ways I've heard gnocchi pronounced is pretty funny though.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
James Adomian is fantastic and putting his Jesse Ventura in Mission Creep was marvelous

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I just kinda love that Mission Creep was a more hardcore version of St. Cloud.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah I got a treat out of hearing Jesse Ventura from Comedy Bang Bang pop up as a villain. I like that you can read Doc and Billy popping up out of the time machine as either an alternate dimension thing, which it probably is, or as just Doc and Billy screwing around later in the timeline after Doc and Monarch end up on better terms somehow and Monarch being Doc's stepbrother is presumably known to both of them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I just kinda love that Mission Creep was a more hardcore version of St. Cloud.

poo poo, you're right. Also, I figure Lawn Darts can't be THAT hard to find second hand.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Scare Bear is Kim and Triana after doing the DBZ fusion dance.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

poo poo, you're right. Also, I figure Lawn Darts can't be THAT hard to find second hand.

I think they’re illegal to sell. eBay is full of “box only” for surprising prices. I wonder if they “accidentally” send the darts in it. I was hoping the shirt was Jart related, I have a set from my grandparents.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Now say “chipotle”

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Best bit was Mission Creep's likeness being made out of chicken tenders.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

No one better mess with Red Death's family, but I kinda want to see him go full Wick on the PP after the Blind Rage incident.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

graham cracker posted:

No one better mess with Red Death's family, but I kinda want to see him go full Wick on the PP after the Blind Rage incident.

God, that monologue was just a loving masterwork of voice acting. It was almost too good for TV.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Comrade Quack posted:

I think they’re illegal to sell. eBay is full of “box only” for surprising prices. I wonder if they “accidentally” send the darts in it. I was hoping the shirt was Jart related, I have a set from my grandparents.

Yeah you'd have to just give them away to someone else if you wanted to transfer them. Most people at this point really have just gotten rid of the darts themselves though and kept the boxes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Davros1 posted:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Can't hide from the bloodeye.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Machai posted:

Can't hide from the bloodeye.

Still bugs me they mixed up which eye was the blood eye in this season.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Dr Z is so great.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Davros1 posted:

How did it take so long to get to this?

There can be no evidence of this meeting!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

How did it take so long to get to this?

There can be no evidence of this meeting!

I like that he only realizes that the paper he brought and wrote on is also evidence at the end of the meeting, and the only way to destroy the evidence is still to eat it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I like that nobody considers that his giant gaudy Chinese junk going upriver might be evidence.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’m sure it’s been mentioned to death, but I really love how Dr. Z’s henchman are explicitly just the henchman from Johnny Quest’s Quetong Missle Mystery—probably the best episode in the show’s running.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Davros1 posted:

Which we will consume to hide all evidence!

.... oh, I just realized somebody's going to have to eat this paper

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Scare Bear is a tulpa; it's an imagined being made mainfest by the other characters' collective unconscious.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Does anyone else have a character that they simply don't like in any aspect? I really don't care for Sgt Vatred at all.