Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

thrakkorzog posted:

They've shown before that the original Rusty Venture stories were really loving dark, cleaned up for kids, and whitewashed Jonas Sr.

Having Jonas Sr., Col. Gentleman, and Action Man beating the poo poo out of some poor pirates who felt pity for Rusty, and taking an eye. That seems more in character than seeing Jonas Sr. taking a cheerful a 'no harm, no foul' attitude.

If anything, it explains the appeal of The Guild. If the 'good guys' are going around acting like mobsters with impunity, then it's time to bring some parity to the situation.

I think of Jonas Sr is like the difference between the James Bond movies and the James Bond books. To the public they saw the "movie" version of Jonas and Team Venture, a group of "swell" "outstanding" good guy adventurers who were brave, dashing, and charming. In a way thats the version Jonas Jr looks up to because he never saw the true Jonas Sr... the "book" version.

The way it looks, the "book" version of Jonas Sr and Team Venture was that they were a bunch of rear end in a top hat thugs who had a good PR department to cover up things like the key parties, the massive violence on (kinda) innocent people. (I mean hell, Jonas Sr gassed a bunch of orphans in his basement and never bothered to rescue them!)

I would love to see an episode that shows a "true" Jonas Sr and Team Venture mission, filled with drugs, sex, and questionable acts that the Venture Universe public would never have agreed to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Not only experiencing the pain of being a ghost who is also a robot, but a scientologist to boot? That would be too much for anyone to bear.

The ghost works on television too, home of celebrities who might be converted to Scientology. It's the secret backstory you didn't think you'd get.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Enough with the ghost robot poo poo, they're completely unrelated.

reignofevil posted:

and in season four we learned that he is actually haunted by the many deaths of his sons, so we know that Hank and Dean dying hit him probably about as hard as his dad's death.

Not necessarily doubting - but when do we see this?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Red posted:

Enough with the ghost robot poo poo, they're completely unrelated.

Not necessarily doubting - but when do we see this?

The Zombie boys floating around in his head, Orpheus pretty much deduces this when seeing them.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Was Tag Sale the first appearance of Augustine St. Cloud? He was seriously different back then.

'Oh cool - girly mags.'

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Daktar posted:

Was Tag Sale the first appearance of Augustine St. Cloud? He was seriously different back then.

'Oh cool - girly mags.'

He also had a completely different voice in that episode.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BooDoug187 posted:

(I mean hell, Jonas Sr gassed a bunch of orphans in his basement and never bothered to rescue them!)

Hey, technically, M.U.T.H.E.R. gassed the kids.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 24, 2013

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

JetsGuy posted:

He also had a completely different voice in that episode.

Pretty much everyone in the first season did, although they gradually got closer and closer to their usual ones as it went on.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Buffy's own Sarah Michelle GellAR.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

thrakkorzog posted:

Having Jonas Sr., Col. Gentleman, and Action Man beating the poo poo out of some poor pirates who felt pity for Rusty, and taking an eye.
"Poor pirates" that kidnapped Rusty and then attempted to extort Jonas Sr. for the ransom.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's because Robo-Bo isn't an actual piece of pop-culture memorabilia, it's just something created after the fact for fans to enjoy. :colbert:

To me, he's 1/3 Hank, 1/3 Jonas Jr., and 1/3 The Outrider.

God dammit, Jackson Publick (i.e. Chris McCulloch, which I didn't know until, like, last season) stop doing more voices! Like...I know they have a tight budget, and saving on VAs lets them do high-quality animation, but seriously, at least let one of the other guys do another voice. James is a much more talented and versatile VA, why not give him another role? Or Steven Rattazzi (Orpheus)? Hell, even though he literally only has one voice, I'd accept Patrick Warburton doing another character before another loving Jackson Public one.

Though to his credit, at least The Monarch sounds totally different...but really, he has either The Monarch, or Not-The-Monarch voices.

I know there's all kinds of union rules and stuff, but would it really be hard to find a guy that's willing to do a voice, that's actually capable of it, for a whole American dollar? Just to put it on a resume or something.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

axleblaze posted:

I'm about to rewatch the entire series and I started with the Pilot and while I like the pilot it contains so many elements I'm glad they moved away from. I really dislike the way Brock fits in with the family in the pilot and early on in general. In the pilot they have this weird thing where it's clear Doc has a thing for Brock and Brock could care less and that just didn't work. Also Brock's complete not giving a poo poo aobut he boys and Doc was also just kind of bad. It was much b etter when they made him give a poo poo but also had hm feel contempt. It made hm a much better character.

It's odd in the pilot that Doc is competent but just bitter and full of hate. It's good they moved him away from completely hating the boys and more towards apathy and self centeredness.

I'm also glad they decided to not make Dr. Girlfriend a man (which she is in the pilot) and that they moved away from Monarch not understanding how Butterflies work. It's much funnier to have him embrace his stupid persona rather than have the implication that he chose it without understanding it. The latter is good for on episode of jokes while the latter is always funny.

It's also funny that in the pilot White is a scientist that became an albino through a failed experiment.

Looking back on it, Turtle Bay is a very different beast to this episode and I am glad we got this Venture Brothers instead.

Listening to Doc and Jackson waxing lyrical about Brock's pants is still hilarious though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sash! posted:

I know there's all kinds of union rules and stuff, but would it really be hard to find a guy that's willing to do a voice, that's actually capable of it, for a whole American dollar? Just to put it on a resume or something.

Yeah, there's all these "labor laws" and poo poo.

But to get specific, pretty much ANYTHING in TV/movies that's scripted requires they follow SAG rules.

So that's why Doc and Jackson do a lot of voices themselves, but I still don't see why one of the lesser used VA's can't do another voice. I mean...a whole seasons' worth of line recording is, like, half a day in the studio. I don't know the specifics, but I am pretty sure it's much less to pay a VA already on payroll to do another "set" of lines than it is to being on someone new.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 24, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sash! posted:

Well the thing is, the kind of guy who might be up for going through the work of voice acting for $1 might not have the best voice skills to begin with!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cheesus posted:

"Poor pirates" that kidnapped Rusty and then attempted to extort Jonas Sr. for the ransom.

Come on dude don't do this. It'd just have been better to pull up their islander-bootstraps or nobly starve right?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rural Greeks were pretty hosed over with the whole Cold War turning Greece into a not very nice place to live.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Jonas Senior's job was to be professionally extorted. Super-scientist adventurers have it in their job description. :colbert:

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

DrBouvenstein posted:

But to get specific, pretty much ANYTHING in TV/movies that's scripted requires they follow SAG rules.

Titmouse is with AFTRA, and yes I know they merged, but until the next negotiation they're honoring all existing contracts.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
It's stupid and nerdy but since I took the time to read on this I'm going to post about it. Doc and Jackson made an error on the Apollo patch on Ron's robot body. The registry number on it, CVS 11, was for the USS Intrepid which did recovery for mercury and Gemini, CVS 9, the USS Essex was the recovery ship for Apollo 7 :spergin:.

Edit: and yes Wally Schirra was on Apollo 7, he and the rest of the crew got a cold/flu while in space and started arguing with ground control. Wally retired after this flight but his two co-astronauts got hosed over and never flew in space again because of it.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 25, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Looking back on it, Turtle Bay is a very different beast to this episode and I am glad we got this Venture Brothers instead.

Listening to Doc and Jackson waxing lyrical about Brock's pants is still hilarious though.

I would love to see an episode of Urbaniak doing Rusty in the terrible, Paul Lynde voice he practiced for a bit before auditioning and actually left in the pilots for the "They're Robot Bones!" line. I have no idea how that could be done but still.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cheesus posted:

And they're still more sympathetic than Jonas Sr. :v:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

livingfruitvirus posted:

Titmouse is with AFTRA, and yes I know they merged, but until the next negotiation they're honoring all existing contracts.

So its a negotiation?

ALRIGHT I'll WRESTLE ya for em!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I wouldn't mind if they got one or two more voice actors for the series as a whole. Though it still is pretty impressive in the general scope of things.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
The safe on St. Cloud's ship was from the Andrea Doria, and the green thing in the display case is Sigmund the Sea Monster (the Sid & Marty Kroft kid's shows from the early 70s are gloriously weird).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is this the first time Col. Gentleman got called by his first name? ("Horace, lock the door")

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Install Gentoo posted:

Well the thing is, the kind of guy who might be up for going through the work of voice acting for $1 might not have the best voice skills to begin with!

I wonder what he spent it on...

Entropic posted:

Is this the first time Col. Gentleman got called by his first name? ("Horace, lock the door")

I think in the Quymn episode, Dr. Quymn calls him it. Could be wrong.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 25, 2013

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Todd Alcott is over-analyzing Venture Bros episodes again.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Just watched it, loving loved the episode. :allears:

Totally lost it at:

Brock's kids.
White catching fire in the sun.
The claymation bit, which totally came out of left field and blindsided me. Holy poo poo.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't know if anybody noticed, but the live action bit was credited to Stoopid Buddy studios, who do the work for Robot Chicken.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
This episode had a Ray Harryhausen claymation battle, the incomparable and BEST (now that 24 is dead) duo of Pete and Billy, and Jonas Sr. kicking L. Ron Hubbard's rear end.

Over all a pretty bad episode, considering I'm a terrible turd toddler with bad taste.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cloks posted:

I don't know if anybody noticed, but the live action bit was credited to Stoopid Buddy studios, who do the work for Robot Chicken.

I thought I saw Seth Green's name under as a producer. I don't think I've ever seen him in the credits before.
EDIT: Ah, it was for the stop motion part, it has it's own section of the credits.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Arrath posted:

Just watched it, loving loved the episode. :allears:

Totally lost it at:

Brock's kids.
White catching fire in the sun.
The claymation bit, which totally came out of left field and blindsided me. Holy poo poo.

The jokes in this episode were great. I love how they indirectly poked fun at Dermott's paternity issues and reminded everyone Brock's character flaw with the Greek kids.

I've always thought that White was the least likable of Rusty's group and while this episode doesn't really make him more endearing, seeing him and Billy in an almost Bond-like death trap was so drat funny to me. It also says a bit of both Billy and St. Cloud: Billy really thinks Pete is his best friend and doesn't treat the effects of direct sun contact on Pete as flippantly as Rusty, who White considers to be his best friend. Instead of hurting Billy directly, St. Cloud probably sees White as another, more painful way to hurt Billy. Maybe he even views it as a way of damaging his "collectible."

The last few seasons were impressive in how they integrated traditional animation with some CGI and managed to make it not stick out as bad as some Family Guy segments. My jaw dropped seeing them integrate hand-drawn animation with stop-motion.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Cloks posted:

I noticed it as soon as billy pulled out the Gorgon Rusty. Something about the way they do head movements in stop motion is really distinct. Still, it can't be overstated how well they blended it with the venture style AND managed to make it a Harryhausen reference at the same time.

Also I can't believe the amount of times I've heard the name Ray Harryhausen this week. Really weird.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I just completely lost it at the stop motion McCloud going "Rarr."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I love these. His writeups on other movies are great too!

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Great episode. Was a bit taken aback by the stop motion but as soon as I realized it was a Harryhausen reference it all made sense. Also, doctails. The Hot Mummy and the Slim Jim Fizz. Rusty's terrible drinks are one of my favorite recurring jokes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

door Door door posted:

Great episode. Was a bit taken aback by the stop motion but as soon as I realized it was a Harryhausen reference it all made sense. Also, doctails. The Hot Mummy and the Slim Jim Fizz. Rusty's terrible drinks are one of my favorite recurring jokes.

It was a "Slim Jim Foetus"

Or maybe I'm looking too hard for meta-jokes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I was pretty sure it was a Slim Jim Fetus, as in Jim Thirlwell.

e: :argh: Entropic! :argh:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It took a second watch for me to notice the Brock-kid had a pumice sculpture of Brock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Really not feeling St Cloud.