Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bell_ posted:

It's pages ago by now, but thank you goons for recommending the new Duck Tales. Even more than nostalgia, it scratches a lot of the itches I'd otherwise depend on Venture Bros for.

If you like Duck Tales, you should also check out Gravity Falls. It's only two seasons, but it's what the Duck Tales people worked on before Duck Tales. It should also scratch a lot of the same itches, they put a ton of work in the small details of that show, especially with the mysteries and seeding clues about it throughout the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

tarlibone posted:

Everything stopping when Psycho said the c-word.

That part was great. Completely established what kind of guy Psycho is and that the universe is kind of a Venture Bros. place where death and destruction don't matter much, but marketing matters a lot.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

IUG posted:

If you like Duck Tales, you should also check out Gravity Falls. It's only two seasons, but it's what the Duck Tales people worked on before Duck Tales. It should also scratch a lot of the same itches, they put a ton of work in the small details of that show, especially with the mysteries and seeding clues about it throughout the show.

Seconding this. Gravity Falls is an almost flawless show achieving exactly what it wanted to, with the only flaw being that it was initially intended to be 3 seasons and we only ended up getting two (and it's very obvious where the cut was supposed to be).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just had a weird realisation that while new DuckTales has a lot of points of comparison to Gravity Falls, the equivalent to the Pines Twins isn't really the triplets and Webby, but Donald and Della.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Also in the Harley Quinn cartoon they use "henching" as a verb. Lots of vb vibes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Anticheese posted:

Also in the Harley Quinn cartoon they use "henching" as a verb. Lots of vb vibes.

Oh yeah. My wife and I shared a knowing look when we first heard them do that. She even commented that These Kids Today wouldn't actually understand where that came from.

I also liked the 21 & 24-ish vibe that I picked up from some of the actual henchmen. Like, in terms of their employment: Scarecrow's henchmen, at least a couple of them, are just basically doing it TaskRabbit style. And, like Uber drivers, they're worried about their ratings. That was something I kind-of wish VB had done first, but when you take 2 years off between seasons, sometimes you can't keep up with the latest trends.

Besides, VB has a much more entrenched and pervasive antagonist/protagonist bureaucracy system set up. I got the impression that in HQ, being a member of one of the heroic or villainous organizations was a mark of prestige--you've made it if you're in the LOD or JL. Otherwise, you're independent, or part of an independent crew. So, it's natural that henchmen there are just picking up work wherever they can unless they get in with a high-profile villain.

In VB, even the low-level, low-ability, low-effort villains sign on with some organization. The GCI is definitely the curdled cream of the crop, but they're not the only game in town. Just get a costume, sign up with an organization, and start arching. A world like that lends itself to career henching, because in that world, getting a job as a henchmen is pretty much like getting a job as a server in the restaurant industry. Except, well, way more tranq darts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The GCI is a weird mix of things but in some ways functions as a trade union and support organisation for supervillains, implicitly in a way that other organisations don't. You pay your dues to the Guild, presumably on a sliding scale depending on your position and abilities, and the Guild makes sure you can arch, even if it's a Level 1. Henchmen I think are employed personally by the supervillain rather than being part of the Guild, though the Guild still has its own regulations and recognition for them.

The Guild does include organisations within it, like the Doom Factory, which I imagine have their own dynamics. The HQ Legion of Doom is treated more like a corporation slash exclusive club- and very much an old boys' club.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i wouldn't call the doom factory an organization, but really just one guy who has a circle of henchmen-sycophants in his entourage who all have their own gimmick instead of being some jerk in spandex with a number for a name. like it simultaneously riffs on villain collectives as well as the power of charismatic people to create their own little cultish cliques. really though the doom factory would be nothing if it weren't for all these weirdos orbiting wes warhammer

i loved everything about the doom factory and the idea of conceptual villainy

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 21, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They're the most ruthlessly self involved villains on Earth and they're only loosely aligned.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

luxury handset posted:

i loved everything about the doom factory and the idea of conceptual villainy

It really says a lot about the strength of the shows worldbuilding that they could even introduce a concept like 'avant-garde conceptual arching' and have it intuitively make sense to both the characters in the show and the audience themselves. The sheer density of the lore and references contained in that episode is astounding and yet none of it ever feels stilted or difficult to explain.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

God I need to rewatch seasons 6/7. They were so insanely good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

pablo gbscobar posted:

It really says a lot about the strength of the shows worldbuilding that they could even introduce a concept like 'avant-garde conceptual arching' and have it intuitively make sense to both the characters in the show and the audience themselves. The sheer density of the lore and references contained in that episode is astounding and yet none of it ever feels stilted or difficult to explain.

Probably doesn't hurt that there's actually ample precedent for supervillainy as a bizarre art project.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably doesn't hurt that there's actually ample precedent for supervillainy as a bizarre art project.
"That marionette thing you made for Rusty Venture? Wonderful!"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

God I need to rewatch seasons 6/7. They were so insanely good.

The increased emphasis on the Monarch was fantastic, the way they built the relationship between him and 21 is one of the best parts of the show.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Their whole dialogue in the Doom! Factory is just solid gold.

Dude!
Dude!
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

Their whole dialogue in the Doom! Factory is just solid gold.

Dude!
Dude!
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!

I loved that!! When that aired for the first time, my wife and I had to pause the show because we were laughing so hard. I backed it up so I could hear it again.

That episode also gave us "dead dolphin juice."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FBS posted:

is "FLOYD HOLE" a pun because if so I missed it :confused:

Ohhh no, a real FLOYD HOLE is when you're a teenager and you listen to all floyd's most depressing hits in a dark room while having an existential crisis for like two years

And by the way, a Rusty Venture is a

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I logged into my Disney Plus account for the first time in a few weeks. I checked the recent activity and noticed a friend had recently watched Splash, quickly had a Dr Orpheus moment.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I've been going through the entire Venture Brothers artbook this morning after only reading chapters on various episodes. This description of Pete White was perfect (while also perfectly summing up a corporate job):

quote:

Pete White has always had amazing confidence and absolutely no ability to do anything.  He's like a guy with a corporate job.  Say you design something in a corporation, and present it to a bunch of people.  One of the guys stands up and does, "You know, I like this a lot.  But does the dog have to be a brown dog?  Can't it be a black dog?"  And somebody says, "Yeah, I guess so."  Then he'll sit back with a smile on his face and cross his arms and go, "Yeah, it can be." ... 

Did anyone have a chance to pick up the season seven blu ray set? Any notable extras/commentary tracks?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I have it. It's got the standard VB DVD stuff.

I noticed that Doc sounded a little ill on some of the commentary tracks, but that makes sense because he was ill. Other than that, there was nothing that special on there. Not that I remember off the top of my head, anyway.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Yeah, when initially listening to the commentary I did not recognize Doc's voice at all. It didn't take too long to get acclimated to it and I even thought "how did I not hear this as Doc in the first place?", but it was pretty jarring at first.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pete's actually turned out to be useful at VenTech since they have modern computers, though they don't seem to have brought up the plot point of the new OS much. Mind you, I think a good part of the joke with him, Billy and Rusty is that the expected lifestyle of a 'super-scientist' has very little to actually do with their scientific specialities.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Finally watching Blacula and man do I want a Jefferson Twilight spinoff.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Finally watching Blacula and man do I want a Jefferson Twilight spinoff.

He’s got to go where the blacktion is.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I mean I hunt black vampires, I don't know what the PC term for that is.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Man I really hope we get two episodes focused on the Triad in the coming season before the new decade ends.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Vladislav Surkov being the prime example. The confabulisation of Russian (and arguably US) politics has been impressive and terrifying in equal measures

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Very late to the Sinterniklaas drama. It seems like his behavior has been confirmed by other sources. Looks like a lot less people want a "Dean in the box"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv6qAe0yF4A&t=84s

I would be most cool with replacing Dean and the few other characters with a different VA. Claim a time skip or change in Dean's persona (happening already) if the voices aren't close enough.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Dean's voice is probably one of the easiest in the cast to find a replacement for, probably at least a dozen other VA's they could find that can do that kind of doofy voice

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
You could probably get away with it no problem, but you could also just claim Clone Puberty.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
What further developments were there? I'm not on twitter and have only heard about it through this thread

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
They switched from Jason Biggs to Seth Green for Leonardo's voice in Ninja Turtles. The in story excuse was when Leonardo was badly beaten it damaged his vocal cords.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Nonexistence posted:

What further developments were there? I'm not on twitter and have only heard about it through this thread

Other Cosplay models in the same scene have the same stories as Midna. Fans meet the actors, Dean’s actor slides into their DMs and basically harasses them non-stop for nudes or video chats and because he’s one of the titular Venture Bros its a lot of pressure.

I think it makes more sense to just finish the goddam show after 14 years than it does to just find a new actor and keep going forever, but I’m also someone who thought this past season was dogshit and thinks the show has worn out its welcome.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

this past season was dogshit and thinks the show has worn out its welcome.

turn on ur monitor

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I wouldn't go that hyperbolic but I agree that last season was surprisingly weak and even if they do manage to pull up, it is a show conceived and established over fifteen years ago. Worn out it's welcome, no, 6 was fantastic and I loved The Morphic Trilogy. But it probably is time to think about bringing it home and the creatives moving on to other projects. Might be my perception but there's been more of that tone in their more recent interviews? Feel like they've been talking about their conception of a series finale more than usual lately.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I thought the last season was suppose to be a breather season.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
ok maybe if in like the first episode Hank throws acid in Dean's face and melts him and Dean has to talk through a cool Darth Vader voicebox and his nanomachine powers come back and they do a supervillain arc that could work while also believably changing the VA and it means I wouldn't have to rewrite my fanfic so I'm back in.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought the last season was suppose to be a breather season.
It is kind of churlish to kick it when it's down and shortened with barely a finale and no aspiration to be much grander than it was, and that's a large part of why I wouldn't sign off on Bust Rodd's depths, but even taking all that into consideration I think the jokes and structure were noticeably weaker and that makes me nervous. On the other hand, especially after reading their oral history of the series I have a certain level of faith in these guys to turn around any creative rut they may find themselves in.

And not to put words in Bust's mouth but at least, congruent to what he's saying AND this VA debacle is the fact that, like so many shows from even twenty years ago, you have to drop some major caveats when you suggest it to newcomers. Most of the weird sexual politics looks worse than it is but there is a real core of it to the entire show and so many episodes, with an accreted thesis to it that might not jive so well in the contemporary climate of increased critical engagement with those kinds of themes. When people throw out there skip lists that's a big reason you see like Assassinanny 911 and Dr. Quimm on there (Either of which are structurally great episodes which you probably keep skipping the latter too much to appreciate).

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Can't decide if I want to see an abortive supervillain arc with the boys or that entire potentiality not even played with that far. I think it would be cool enough to see Hank out there on his own trying different things to find his place in the world - like an inverse Gary in Season 5 or the stuff they were doing with Sphinx and Dean's internship in the back half of Season 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also think at its core The Venture Bros is a show made with laser-guided precision with a very specific subset of nerd in mind and I think it’s somewhat generational.

Like I generally believe any post Millenial-viewing this show is at a disadvantage, and that gap will only widen over time. A zoomer watching S1 of the VB would have roughly no idea what was happening, or what anything was a reference to, or why anyone was dressed this way.

Like the only people old enough to get ALL the jokes may have already died.