Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Alchemist has the trauma of the cotton ball story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mantis42 posted:

The Alchemist has the trauma of the cotton ball story.

I mean, that's just a lovely situation - who hasn't had one of those?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Team Venture
King: Doc
Queen: Brock
Bishops: Orpheus & Alchemist
Rooks: Col. Gentleman and Action Man
Knights: Jefferson & Hatred
Pawns: Hank/Dean/Billy/Pete/Kano/Rose/Dermott/HELPeR

You'd want Team Venture (Classic) with Jonas Venture and Team Venture (Regular). The connecting theme is that the King for both is Thadeus Venture, but Classic is Boy Adventurer Rusty Venture and Regular is, well, Doc. Classic would include Doctor Entmann, in either of his forms, and the boxing guy, Swifty, and you may want to use the others from the original Team Venture, too. The Blue Morpho, too, probably.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LashLightning posted:

The Blue Morpho, too, probably.

Would using Team Venture Classic in a match against a GCI lineup that had Vendata in it cause a weird chess time paradox?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Would using Team Venture Classic in a match against a GCI lineup that had Vendata in it cause a weird chess time paradox?

ehr-ro ehr-ro I am the Blue Morpho

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Right, Hank identifies with the suave side of Brock (and has ever since season one - "and this'll... knock em out more?" on the pirate ship or whatever it is comes to mind, he's hilariously clueless about violence)

I think he's less clueless, and more kind of uncomfortable with it and hoping that whatever he's looking at is actually not violence.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Unmature posted:

Honestly other than Jonas, most of the original team Venture made out pretty well considering the poo poo they had to witness. Except Otto Aquarius who became an actual Witness.

Well except poor Swifty

pixaal posted:

But Hank is also the one that knows they see dead guys all the time and Dean is the one that insists the guys were carried away in "sleeping bags" not body bags. I think Hank has some very severe mental trauma.

Show was weirdly inconsistent about that in season 1, there was also the scene where Dean tells Triana about how Brock killed a guy with a bag of party snaps, and Triana asking if it made his head explode being one of the things that made Dean fall for her

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I just remembered the gag in the scooby doo episode about Orpheus getting Hector’s junk mail.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TK-42-1 posted:

I just remembered the gag in the scooby doo episode about Orpheus getting Hector’s junk mail.

That's why my cat is named Hector Molina.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfEc9J73BO4

Like a cheap magazine...

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You mean the girl who wears the same clothes every day because she’s afraid of her closet?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Pete's pretty well-adjusted, he's just kind of lazy and a Mooch. And he was the first DJ at his college to play the Bauhaus

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pete's basically the only one of the whole extended Team Venture besides maybe Billy who can be described as in touch with the real world. And certainly the only computer literate one.

Incidentally, I feel like one thing that the VB writers understand is that the real fun in theoretical crossovers isn't in who would win a fight, but the ways that established characters would likely interact with one another, and what elements of their personalities and agendas would clash and provide for interesting conversation. Especially so with characters who have similar themes but different takes on them. It's one of the reasons that Goku and Superman meeting would be very interesting for reasons entirely besides how their inevitable fight would go down.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 18, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Pete's pretty well-adjusted, he's just kind of lazy and a Mooch. And he was the first DJ at his college to play the Bauhaus

Wow that must make him like 50

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Unmature posted:

Wow that must make him like 50

Venture Bros definitely has a very 00s feel even in recent seasons, especially given an implicitly sliding timescale and references to it. (and that Hank finds it easy to get a job in NYC)

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Venture Bros definitely has a very 00s feel even in recent seasons, especially given an implicitly sliding timescale and references to it. (and that Hank finds it easy to get a job in NYC)

No, just cool

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hank is the son of the rich guy with the giant tower named after him, it's not unbelievable.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
https://mobile.twitter.com/ATT/status/1306980710813663239

This.... bodes well?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, without a sliding timescale (and maybe clones) wouldn’t Rusty be in his 60’s by now?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

That or whoever is in charge of that twitter is a Venture Bros. fan and decided to make a public statement and is about to get fired.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, without a sliding timescale (and maybe clones) wouldn’t Rusty be in his 60’s by now?

It’s a quote from the show

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I just noticed the other day that when Brock KOs Vendata and Vendata reboots the flash back of the plane crash has a time stamp in the 80s. It's on YouTube if someone wants to post a link, but I'm in a meeting right now and can't.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdOHniliuNE

It doesn't have a date for the plane crash but it does for Movie Night. It happened in April, 1987. Rusty and the Monarch were college aged at the time so they were born in the late 60s and are about 50. But don't think about it too much, it doesn't matter.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Maybe I'm getting my megacorp monopolies mixed up, but I thought AT&T owned WB which was the reason that Venture Bros got canceled in the first place?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe I'm getting my megacorp monopolies mixed up, but I thought AT&T owned WB which was the reason that Venture Bros got canceled in the first place?

yeah, the cancelletion of venture bros was either or both because 1) the show lost its patron when the co-founder and executive of adult swim retired 2) corporate mergers. at&t bought time warner, formerly AOL time warner, the merged product of the Time media corp and Warner (of Warner bros fame) which had bought Turner media in the mid 90s, which was the original home of Cartoon Network, which was itself the parent of Adult Swim. at&t has been doing restructuring for a while and this show finally got canned but it was nothing personal really - if there's enough interest then they might as well renew the show again, or just leave money on the table

so the fact that the at&t twitter account is tweeting vaguely pro-VB support is slightly promising

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

yeah, the cancelletion of venture bros was either or both because 1) the show lost its patron when the co-founder and executive of adult swim retired 2) corporate mergers. at&t bought time warner, formerly AOL time warner, the merged product of the Time media corp and Warner (of Warner bros fame) which had bought Turner media in the mid 90s, which was the original home of Cartoon Network, which was itself the parent of Adult Swim. at&t has been doing restructuring for a while and this show finally got canned but it was nothing personal really - if there's enough interest then they might as well renew the show again, or just leave money on the table

Streaming rights was a part of it, too. ATT basically killed off anything where new seasons would stream on Hulu instead of one of its services.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ah thanks, i forgot that part - it makes the most sense of all reasons i've heard so far about the show being canceled

i think of all shows, venture bros is probably the least likely to lose momentum if there's a year or two delay before the next season

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
What did the tweet say?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It’s probably a case of Cartoon Network getting a pre-acquisition pet project off the books to bring in something new under new creative direction, which ATT oked because it is a very small decision for their huge business. Then word comes back to the execs that the show has at least some amount of following and having a readymade creative team who can work under any level of quarantine condition already within their purview coupled with a need for content for HBO Max, whose new original movie and TV selection has been delayed by covid, is ideal. Animation is going to keep exploding with all the uncertainty around live film production.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Deathlove posted:

What did the tweet say?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Deathlove posted:

What did the tweet say?

It was someone's generic #SavetheVentures tweet and then the AT&T corporate account replied with something like "we won't let this opportunity pass us up" and a gif of Hank looking through binoculars.

So uh watch for The Venture Bros on exclusively AT&T Uverse or whatever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AT&T would be hbo max.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
While it's not Venture Bros. related, I do consider this Venture Bros. adjacent. Harley Quinn is moving to HBO Max permanently due to DC Universe dying and just got picked up for season 3. It's the only cartoon that gives me a Venture Bros. vibe so I am glad it's continuing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdOHniliuNE

It doesn't have a date for the plane crash but it does for Movie Night. It happened in April, 1987. Rusty and the Monarch were college aged at the time so they were born in the late 60s and are about 50. But don't think about it too much, it doesn't matter.

Movie Night happened after the boys were cloned though. Rusty and Malcolm are younger, or at least Rusty is. Red Helper confirms Rusty is a clone. I don't know if we know for sure Monarch is.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Waffleopolis posted:

While it's not Venture Bros. related, I do consider this Venture Bros. adjacent. Harley Quinn is moving to HBO Max permanently due to DC Universe dying and just got picked up for season 3. It's the only cartoon that gives me a Venture Bros. vibe so I am glad it's continuing.

May I suggest: DuckTales?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Deathlove posted:

What did the tweet say?

Someone posted a gif about save the venture bros and ATT replied with one of hank looking through binoculars and said they weren't going to let this one slip away or something. Since it's gone I'm guessing rogue fan in control of account. :smith: maybe it will have some PR backlash and help :unsmith:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pixaal posted:

Movie Night happened after the boys were cloned though. Rusty and Malcolm are younger, or at least Rusty is. Red Helper confirms Rusty is a clone. I don't know if we know for sure Monarch is.

The original rusty was born in the late 50s/early 60s. The one that grew up with Malcolm was the clone.

e: or Rusty was cloned after the plane crash and Malcolm's disappearance and that's why he has no memories of him.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

pixaal posted:

We don't know a clone of what though.

It could be a clone of a dead former Rusty like Dean and Hank are, so that would support an extended timeline.

Or, Rusty could be a failed clone of Jonas (bolstered by the fact that Jonas Jr. was so much like Sr. and a parasitic twin would be why the cloning wasn't exact) making him both a clone and OG Rusty (and only ever Rusty) at the same time. Red Helper was vague on that point and it would be unlike Venture Brothers for it to be a straightforward copy of what Hank and Dean went through.

My theory has always been that Rusty is a failed clone of Jonas and Malcom was the product of good old loving by Jonas with the Monarch's mother.

We have other pieces that don't fit with a extended timeline caused by repeat cloning of Rusty. We've met enough people from Rusty's boyhood (Action Johnny, Hector, Swifty, Giorgios) so unless they all came into Rusty's life on his final clone iteration as a child, things wouldn't line up too well and they've never dropped hits about age discrepancies.

If we want to go by what was stated in the show, he was 43 in Mid-Life Chrysalis. If we assume 2004 was the current year of the 1st season, that would make Rusty born in 1961, a teenager in the 70s, and 26 on movie night which would be a couple of years old for college, but not out of the question and that's all assuming that 2004 was the starting year. That also holds Jackson and Doc to some pretty tight timing which I'm sure they didn't have worked out by that point.

Basically, there's enough wiggle room for it to go either way. ALL of that is also discounting the partial anachronistic way they've approached things on the show as well which allows even more wiggle room.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

We don't know a clone of what though.

It could be a clone of a dead former Rusty like Dean and Hank are, so that would support an extended timeline.

Or, Rusty could be a failed clone of Jonas (bolstered by the fact that Jonas Jr. was so much like Sr. and a parasitic twin would be why the cloning wasn't exact) making him both a clone and OG Rusty (and only ever Rusty) at the same time. Red Helper was vague on that point and it would be unlike Venture Brothers for it to be a straightforward copy of what Hank and Dean went through.

My theory has always been that Rusty is a failed clone of Jonas and Malcom was the product of good old loving by Jonas with the Monarch's mother.

We have other pieces that don't fit with a extended timeline caused by repeat cloning of Rusty. We've met enough people from Rusty's boyhood (Action Johnny, Hector, Swifty, Giorgios) so unless they all came into Rusty's life on his final clone iteration as a child, things wouldn't line up too well and they've never dropped hits about age discrepancies.

If we want to go by what was stated in the show, he was 43 in Mid-Life Chrysalis. If we assume 2004 was the current year of the 1st season, that would make Rusty born in 1961, a teenager in the 70s, and 26 on movie night which would be a couple of years old for college, but not out of the question and that's all assuming that 2004 was the starting year. That also holds Jackson and Doc to some pretty tight timing which I'm sure they didn't have worked out by that point.

Basically, there's enough wiggle room for it to go either way. ALL of that is also discounting the partial anachronistic way they've approached things on the show as well which allows even more wiggle room.

It’s two years between season 1 and 7, going off the Action Man’s stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
If Rusty was a clone of Jonas and Monarch a son, then the DNA test would say Rusty was Monarch's father, not brother. So we're probably talking the Hank/Dean situation.

There's also "Jonas Jr. was a clone, Rusty was a normal child who unexpectedly happened to be in the womb when the clone was implanted and Red Helper was misinformed."