Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

RedBoot posted:

So...is understanding Helper genetically built into Ventures? (Actually, no, I think Brock could understand him)

I think it's more supposed to be he's been around helper so much that he just sort of absorbed the language. It's like a language by immersion thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You know, you would think that as bad as Doc is, Hatred would still probably have a far worse death confession.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
One thing I did really like in the episode is that they did give an actual reason as to why Doc would fall for the Teddie thing. Most shows would just leave it at Doc being dumb or too self involved but this is a well written enough show that they actually gave him a reason that worked with his character.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Literally two posts above yours.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the reason season 3 is so plot heavy is because they ran into plot problems after season 2. If you listen to the season 2 commentary (which they recorded before they had even started on 3) they mention how they had no idea where they were going to take the plot. They knew they had a few plot threads they needed to resolve but outside of that they had nothing. I think season 3 was basically them preventing that from happening again. In season 3 they set up so much so that they wouldn't run out of things to explore for a long time to come.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Regarding the nudity, it's more up to the network than it is anyone else. Cable and satellite isn't regulated by the government and technically they can show whatever they want. The thing is most advertisers don't want to be associated with stuff like that because they want to reach as wide of an audience as possible and having mature content limits to who they can pretend they're advertising towards. As money is the lifeblood of most networks so what they say goes.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This table is not Hank.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Wade Wilson posted:

I would've sworn I saw a brief clip of Hank talking to Dermot's mom after having sex with her again post brain wipe, did anyone else see that? I think it was either in Sphinx Rising or the episode before it, but don't have them on my iPhone to check.

In What Color Is Your Cleansuit, in the opening Hank wakes up at Dermot's and is greeted by Dermot's Sister/Mom who starts hitting on him until Dermot's Mom/Grandmother interrupts.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've been rewatching alot of older Venture and I think my favorite thing about Doc is that nothing really phases him and his default response is to be a petty, sarcastic dick. Like in Powerless in the Face of Death, when Orpheus teleports in, covered in ectoplasm, his only response is to say "we have a door". Also in Love Beits, they're all being held in the pantry and the invite to the Baron and Deans wedding get slipped under the door. Brock grabs it and docs only response is "that was addressed to me?" He just doesn't miss the chance to be annoyed by things that don't matter and it's especially great because he doesn't really get annoyed by actually threatening things, just bored.

Also in "Victor. Echo. November.", it kind of says alot about how badass The Monarch is despite everything when Brock sneaks up behind him and puts a knife to his throat and he doesn't even flinch.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Leospeare posted:

Which episode is it where something shocking happens, and there's a series of quick close-ups on a bunch of shocked characters, and in the middle of it is Doc who is completely bored/annoyed by what happened?

That would be The Revenge Society

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think at this point The Monarch is probably my favorite character, though it's close between him and Doc himself. They have alot in common really, it's just the Monarch has actual passion and has done less awful things.

I also like Dean but I always end up characters that we're supposed to find annoying, though I have limits. It's not like I like the Moppets (though I can appreciate that they are supposed to be awful).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
...did Doc just die?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

Hey Brock

You, uh... you aren't a very good bodyguard.

He's no his bodyguard anymore. He quit at the end of season 3.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Grimace posted:

I let out a heinous guffaw because, holy poo poo, that was hilarious and totally unexpected.

Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction...then there was a moment of silence and then, despite the fact I'm alone, I said "wait, what?" out loud.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like the idea that Brick Frog got in the club, but St Cloud wasn't cool enough to get in.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

You want more variety in women's voices, and chose Tress MacNeille as your "go to woman VO?"

She has two voices...Tress MacNeille and..."old lady" Tress MacNeille.

Naw, she has alot more than that. Like a whole lot more than that. It's just she is in pretty much everything do she's bound to repeat but she has huge range and it's weird to me that people treat her like she's Jon Benjamin or something (not that Jon Benjamin isn't awesome).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Jon Benjamin mainly shows his vocal range on Home Movies, where 90% of the voices are either him or Brendan Small. He still doesn't really have alot of range.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Wax On posted:

Anyone doubting that Vendata is the Monarch's dad, look at his goddamn teeth. They have the same dorky overbite.

I'm completely ready to be wrong on this but it seems pretty solid with him mentioning the crash and his wife.

Yeah but he doesn't really look anything like this:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think part of the problem when you have a passion project like this is you tend to make a lot of last minute changes and make alot of alterations and those changes are WAY easier to make if the voices of your characters are always available and the easiest way to do that is just make yourself those voices.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So...confused right now...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Still watching through the series. I really like The Doctor is Sin. It gives so much insight into Rusty and makes you really feel for him without trying to make him a good person. The whole thing is just kind of tragic.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I had a dream last night that the finale was awesome. Let's hope that this dream becomes a reality!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

namesake posted:

The viewer is the 13th member.

This is the best answer.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hollis posted:

I think they are suppose to be on track for it coming out in 2014. So a year basically.

I'll believe this when I am watching a new episode of Venture.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hermetic posted:

My only real disappointment in the finale, other than it not being a full hour long, is that we had a dental torture scene, and The Monarch didn't ask Dr. Venture "Is it safe?" a few times.

They actually did have that joke but it was hidden. On that note here is the Monarchs list:

1. Hot Pokers (Iron) - eyes, groin...knees?
2. Bamboo Under the Fingernails (chopstick in kitchen drawer)
3. Wild Dogs. Maybe a pack of ill-tempered dogs? (Re-think)
4. Drive to bad neighborhood and scream racial epithets
5. Sodium Pentathol(make him admit he's a prick on camera)
6. Rack! (find Ren-fest costume from that stupid wedding)
7. Cut off Nose? (check Guild rulebook)
8. Marathon Man Dentist Drill (is it safe?)
9. 12 hours of deafening Faith Hill Music (make sure he hates it first)
10. The Bell! (Asian theme)
11. The Pear of Anguish (con-have to make a pear of anguish)
12. Foot Roasting (too slapstick?)
13. Exposure (maybe too time consuming)
14) Buried Alive (CON-don't get to watch him in torment)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, I haven't checked this topic since there were new episodes. Anything interesting happened since then (other than the teaser that was just posted and the announcement of a special)?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Have you played Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People? I loved it and thought it was hilarious.

Also the Sam and Max games were great :colbert:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So...I guess we're not getting that special in October :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To give you an idea of when we're getting a new season remember: this special was probably supposed to be done last October.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I mean, it's been almost two years since the last season proper, I figured I was doing the waiting thing right expecting it to come out later this year when it's been actually two years. Should I start counting the two years after the special episode/season finale?

The thing, we just don't know. You will never know until the episodes actually air. As I said earlier, this special was originally supposed to air in October. Then there was no word for a while and now it's airing next week. They could have the new season done in three months, they could have it done in three years. There is no way to know so don't even expect anything until you know it's gonna happen. It's easier that way.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
God drat this is already so good. loving commercials...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
God poo poo just keeps getting realer and realer.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I hate that loving Doritos ad so god damned much.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Here's a direct link ot the epilogue:
http://www.adultswim.com/videos/the-venture-bros/the-venture-bros-special-epilogue/

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Wow, the epilogue actually had season 6 clips so maybe it won't be all that long until the next season. Right? Right???? :suicide:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Electron Sponge posted:

Something I noticed in the epilogue - at the end when they showed the traditional opening credits, and they flashed the faces of the main characters, it was Hank, Dean, Doc, and Brock. Think maybe Uncle Vatred may be getting the boot after burning the compound down? A rich Doc Venture, with a lot of dangerous toys at his disposal, wouldn't be a job for OSI's D-team.

They still showed a clip of Hatred in his Venture outfit, do he's probably still around. Also, amongst the clips they showed Saint Cloud so it's good to know he'll be back as well.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Ah, yeah, gently caress yeah. I think, if anything, every time he had a chance to be mature, Jonas Jr. was incredibly petty.

Yeah, I like that it was a thing that no matter how much a dick Doc is and how much he overreacted to it, Jonas Jr was genuinely constantly being a passive aggressive dick to him.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Y'know we should all actually be in awe of the fact that Rusty's shield actually seemed to work quite well. Hell, he even knew his design well enough to know how the manual reboot should have been done had his workers not changed the design.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think Doc's main problem is he's a smart scientist guy in a world that has super scientists. He's smart enough to know things and understand them but not smart enough to do the things that is expected of a scientist in this world, no less a Venture. In a normal world he'd be doing pretty okay at least but the bar is much higher and then there's the expectations from his dad and it all just crushes him down. I really do like the scene in the special when for a moment he is desperate for his own son to acknowledge that he isn't a complete gently caress up that can't do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

So it's just that Doc is a great superscientist if he can put his brilliance toward evil, but he's not willing to so he's stuck in mediocrity.

Well that's the great tragedy introduced in the original Killinger episode: Rusty has all the makings of being a great villain. It's a field where coming up just short is what he's supposed to do anyways and he's filled with such rage and bitterness that it's all a natural fit. The problem is despite how awful of a person he is, he doesn't actually want to be a bad person. He ,for better or worse, just can't take that final step towards eveil but at the same time he can't put in the effort to be as good as he needs to be.