Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Red posted:

Huh.

The Silence of the Lambs reference (Gary trapping the Wandering Spider by having a fake broken arm and needing help loading a chair in his car) in this episode just dawned on me.

This could be a movie reference, but it's also one of Ted Bundy's techniques, and the show loves a good serial killer reference, as shown in 'Viva Los Muertos!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Das Boo posted:

The Silence of the lambs bit was taken from Bundy, but 21 pseudo-quotes Buffalo Bill's "Say, are you about a size 14?" while mimicking Ted Levine's speech. A reference of a reference.

:ms: . Nevermind, then!

I'm happy that this show can keep introducing new & interesting characters. Wide Wale, Battle-Axe, & Sireena have all been pretty great.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Don't forget to warm them up in the dryer.

Get out of here. I'm serious! I don't even want to look at you anymore.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

business hammocks posted:

The design work on the background details in Venture Bros. is incredible. Almost everything is sourced out of old architectural journals and Sears catalogues and poo poo. I love it.

I had no idea. Can you go into more detail?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Venture Brothers & Rick and Morty are both really, really funny, and that's what counts. It's not like Venture Bros is above referential humor; one of my favorite jokes in all of Venture Bros is Col. Gentleman reading out a list of 80s toys. You can come up with convoluted reasons why this is OK and some other show doing it isn't, but when it comes down to it, Venture Bros just pulls it off really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoJlRLe81cA

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

tarlibone posted:

Oh, I know what this is! You've been able to sustain world peace because you have one night a year where you all run around robbing and murdering each other without consequence. It's like the Purge, Morty. That movie The Purge?

Oh, have you been here before?

No, no, but I've been to a few planets with the same gimmick. You know, sometimes it's called the cleansing or the red time. There was this one world that called it just murder night. I-it's a Purge planet. They're peaceful, and then, you know, they just Purge.

Uh, Orpheus, it's your landlord. We're trapped in a cliche. Use your fake, impossible magic to get us out of here.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Ghosts of the Sargasso and Escape from the House of Mummies, PT II are my go-to episodes. They don't require any context for newbies and they're just hilarious top to bottom.

"You hold a gun like a guy who plays Riven" and "The smallest man is the biggest man" slay me every time.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Oh also....it's a soft, sheer fabric, I warmed some up in the dryer.

Get out of here! I'm serious, I don't even want to LOOK at you any more!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
That's nothing. I ate a whole Labrador retriever once! I'm serious!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

PostNouveau posted:

Watching the one with the boy adventurers' therapy group, and I just got that they're the Hale brothers because of the phrase "hale and hearty" and hearty is real close to hardy.

:psyduck:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Oh god the pilot has not aged well.

It has not. Ghosts of the Sargassum is just as great as ever, though.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

theflyingexecutive posted:

Ghosts of the Sargasso

If you'd played by the rules, the Ghost Pirate rules, none of this would have happened! But, no, you had to go and kill a guy.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
It's funnier if they're straight, so I like that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Hatred has some of the best lines. I like when his competitive streak comes out. The dude may be over the hill, but drat it, he knows his stuff.

"I ate a whole Labrador retriever once! I'm serious!"