Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bobkatt013 posted:

The only decent part of Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner?

Lincoln's Ghost: (knocks over a tiny statue of himself) Damnation! Forcefield, I didn't see that one coming! Sorry, Dean. Okay, okay! New plan...
Hank: (points at statue) Well, you just KO'd Uncle Sam! Why can't you just do that to an astronaut and his mom?
Lincoln's Ghost: That's not Uncle Sam, it's me! Wouldn't lay a glove on it if it weren't. I can only move things in the material world that bear my image. Wait! That penny in your pocket, Dean! I was able to get that through the forcefield! That's it!
Hank: We build a gun made out of pennies!
Lincoln's Ghost: Exactly! Wait, no, that's insane! But I have another idea! Boys, I need five dollar bills. Scores of them, 10 score at least!
Dean: How are we gonna find that many.
Hank: How, how. What are you, an owl? He can make it with his magic!
Ghost of Abraham Lincoln: For the last time, Hank, I'm a ghost, not a genie. You two must find a way!
Hank: Wait, does it matter if it's the new fives or the old ones.
Lincoln's Ghost: I... prefer the new ones? But, whatever! Go! Go!!

Lincoln's Ghost: Penny for his thoughts.

That line cracks me up every time. Hell, it cracks me up just thinking about it.

Red posted:

I thought it was a pretty clever parody of Manchurian Candidate. The only 'meh' episode of VB is probably the Dr. Quymn episode.

Having Dean getting ready to box an orangutan is one of the best things Venture Bros. has ever done.

Dean: Brock, isn't this like the saddest thing ever?

And then Hank, to the orangutan: Hey, Clyde, BANG!
And then the orangutan goes, uh, apeshit on Hank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I wouldn't say no show does this. For example, Doctor Who blu-rays actually jumped street date by a few days this spring and people were getting them before the finale of that season actually aired. There are quite a few examples that are similar. Production on these episodes ended quite some time ago so there should be ample time for the small amount of special features they will include.

By the time the re-run completes, we will be two months out from the finale.

Season 4 was released 5 months out from when the finale aired, but it was made all the worse since it was a split season. You couldn't get a blu-ray copy of "Blood of the Father, Heart of Steel" until 17 months after the episode aired. Already, we are almost 10 months out from when "A Very Venture Halloween" aired.

It's my experience that DVDs are usually released in time for the new season to premiere. Granted, that's not likely to happen with the Venture Bros. And the Doctor Who thing is strange situation. They'll release the Christmas eps as standalone releases, then release half season in bare bones editions (like you mention) at the end of the season. But for a "proper" complete season box set, Doctor Who Series 7 isn't coming out until mid-Sept, four months after the season 7 finale. In fact, that set, the Complete Series 7, is set to include the 2011 Christmas special, almost two years after it aired.

So I'd say we've a couple months at least until we see The Venture Bros 5 on DVD.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

The only two episodes I'd ever recommend someone skip are "Guess Who's Coming to State Diner?" and "Doctor Quymn, Medicine Woman." They're just un-interesting compared to the rest of their respective seasons.

"Doctor Quymn" is the episode that made me a fan.

"Brock, this is like the saddest thing ever"
"Hey Clyde, BANG!"

And then the orangutan beating the poo poo of Hank was the exact moment I became a fan.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I can honestly see them taking the Council of 13 in the route of NOT having thirteen members, but still demanding to be called Council of 13.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Freddie Mercury as Supersonic Man

(it's a line from the song Don't Stop Me Now. Though if they were lifting from that song, Mr Fahrenheit would've been better )

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

"You look like a can of Diet Pepsi."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

My fav gag was Novia thinking Gary was Tim-Tom. "I didn't think that was possible!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I like the idea of Brock just hiding in a bush

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Best bit was Mission Creep's likeness being made out of chicken tenders.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hank's totally off to become a super hero.

He'll either fail, or succeed by accident.

(He's going to get sued by stealing another hero's trademark)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well the most obvious team-up for Blackula and Black Dracula would require something awful to happen to Red Mantle

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069372/

"Doctors are forced to transplant the head of a dying, racist surgeon onto the body of a black death row inmate."

When this was release on DVD, one of special features was an actual RiffTrax commentary. More films should do this.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was it this show that had a reference to the shrine of the silver monkey from legends of the hidden temple on it recently? I know something I've seen in the last month or so referenced it but I can't for the life of me remember what.

Archer made a point how in its latest season how it was nothing like the show "Tales of the Gold Monkey".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think that was actually a reference to a much older show actually and I'd never seen it either so it was kinda over my head

They specifically state that the totem they are after is in no way a Gold Monkey.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

There was a earthquake in California

https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1146841493212024832

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1307213764949807104?s=20

https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1307214330060922883?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Tank Top, Bum Rush and Radical Left are probably my top three.

The male model-turned-sniper codenamed HEADSHOT was pure genius, and my all time favorite.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

If you ask a super scientist to build a bionic eye they'll inevitably end up building a walking eye instead. Who could resist the allure of the walking eye?

It's a walking eye!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Medullah posted:

I assumed it was Darkman

Twilight also addressed him as "Clayton" when in the film the character's name was "Peyton"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Shindragon posted:

If I had to pick the worst episode, is Dr. Quymn, Medicine Woman. Just that whole episode rub me off the wrong way and Dean being forced by two girls was just nah. just nah.

Dr Quymn has two of my favorite moments:

Dean, being suited up to fight an orangutan: "Brock, isn't this like, the saddest thing ever?"

And Hank, making a finger gun at the orangutan, ala Clint Eastwood in the "Every Which Way" films: "Hey Clyde! Bang!" And the orangutan beating the holy poo poo out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

Ooo ray, if we are treating the pilot as canon

What are you talking about? It's a ray that can melt cities; how can that be used for evil?