Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

fspades posted:

They desperately need female VAs anyway. I love Doc Hammer, but he should know when to give up on voicing female characters. Billy's mom was particularly awful.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I always thought Billy's mom was voiced by a woman who was straight up doing a Billy impersonation and hitting way too close to the mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Whelp, guess it's time for my annual rewatch of the whole series. Only this time there's going to be a juicy space adventure special at the end.

On that note, is Netflix going to get any more seasons? It's so much more convenient to binge watch on Netflix that I really wish they had more episodes on there.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

They moved the show to Hulu.

Bah. Oh well.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

I've said it before but http://www.adultswim.com/videos/astv/ is the greatest.
All the seasons and the specials

I don't have cable, so not for me. Didn't know the stream was accessible for free though; I might just leave that on in the background forever now.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Angular Landbury posted:

The only odd one out is Hank, who is TOTALLY Batman.

Well, Rusty himself said Hank reminds him of himself when he was a kid; Hank is, to me, the kind of teenager Rusty would have turned into if it wasn't for Jonas and crew's particular brand of awful. While they both grew up in an awful "adventure" environment, at least Hank didn't have to shoot a villain in the head. Nor did he have to come face to face with his dad's massive dong in the morning after hearing him sleep with loose women all night.

Like really, how does Rusty resist being a super villain? The TV show? Pressure from the old Team Venture? Too lazy? All of the above? Probably all of the above.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Rusty's self-image is of himself as the good guy. He may be a selfish piece of poo poo a lot of the time, but openly being a bad guy would be to much for him.

Sure, but how did he get that self-image? His dad certainly didn't give him good lessons on morality, nor did the old Team Venture, so my guess is that the TV show seared that good guy self-image onto Rusty so hard he can never escape. Plus, being evil would mean throwing his TV show fame away, and you know he could never do that. Even if it is mostly due to apathy and/or laziness.

Edit: Just had another thought...what if it was all due to the one being who actually raised Rusty? What if H.E.L.P.eR was the sole reason Rusty won't turn evil? Oh H.E.L.P.eR, is there anything you can't do? :allears:

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 12, 2015

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Rusty isn't malicious, he's just callous. Someone back up the thread said he's a villain in a more real-world everyday sense in that he doesn't give a poo poo and thoughtlessly hurts people through neglect and apathy, but he doesn't get any kicks or thrills out of it either which precludes being an actual supervillain, which I think is a pretty good assessment. Rusty is a guy who just doesn't give a gently caress

Yeah, I'll grant that Rusty fails supervillain criteria number one in that he doesn't get a kick out of being evil. But honestly, the banal nature of his villainy makes him even more evil in my eyes. It's like when Phantom Limb discovers Professor Incorrigible's power source; he may not get a kick out of it, but goddamn is it evil as hell.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

smidgeonnn posted:

As I recall, he says this in a scene where it's very apparent he has his kids' personalities mixed up.

Are you sure? I was referring to the episode where Hank and Vatred "kidnap" Rusty.

Rusty was pretty clear about how Dean is into the whole super scientist stuff while Hank rejects it just like he did. Didn't seem like he got anything mixed up there.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

tarlibone posted:

I would agree that this is the current state of affairs, but in Season 4, it wasn't quite as clear that Dean hated the lifestyle. At least, I didn't get hate from him. He wouldn't truly rebel against adventuring until after he dropped the F-bomb on Outrider and became a man.

Yeah, that's my take on it as well. Dean hates the lifestyle now, but only because he now fully understands the cost. Hank, on the other hand, liked adventuring but never really wanted to be a Venture super scientist/follow in anyone's footsteps other than Brock's. He likes adventures because it's fun, and he was never asked to do the seriously horrible things Rusty was told to do on occasion. I'm sure Rusty liked some, if not most, of the adventures he went on as a kid. I mean, poo poo, he lived a boy's fantasy life, jetting across the world, solving mysteries, doing cool poo poo on the regular so much so there's a TV show of his childhood exploits. It's his dad and crew that really traumatised him, as they took turns emasculating him for cheap laughs, ignoring him to go party, and brutally taking his innocence by having him kill before he's a teenager. poo poo, Hank puked in the latest special when Brock snapped someone's neck in front of him; Rusty did a pretty good job preserving the boys' innocence, all told.

Rusty hated his dad and didn't want to take up the Venture super scientist mantle; Dean was okay with doing so until fairly recently, while Hank always marched to the beat of his own drum. Maybe Rusty wished he was more like Hank, as opposed to truly seeing himself in Hank. Either way, I believe Rusty was wholly honest and did not mix up his kids during that monologue.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Sash! posted:

Brock made Hank kill at least one of the ghost pirates!

Psh, ghosts don't count, they're incorporeal. (Completely forgot about that)

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think people are putting more thought into this than anyone on the cast or crew of the show.

Given the amount of time they take to put out a season, I'm not so sure.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Killinger makes Hank kill one of the Venchmen

He says that he's got a PhD in child psychology, so...you know...whatever.

Plus, he probably just had him cut off his hands or something.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Hank guts and eats a giant, possibly sentient crab.

Psh, possibly sentient doesn't count. Plus, he was hopped up on caffeine and was jungle batman.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Saucy Slit posted:

I don't watch Archer, because he's just a lame re-hash of Xander loving Crews. Whose voice would be more befitting of Archer.

Agreed, King of New York was good.

I tried to watch Frisky Dingo and I couldn't stand it. I love Archer, though.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Fantastic return to the show. Lots of fun new characters, a new arch for Rusty, and it seems like Hank's getting a Romeo and Juliet plot line.

The only thing I have to wonder about is Brock not destroying the not-Avengers instantly; I mean, it is New York, so you can't have the local heroes be utter pushovers, but I don't know how I feel about Brock not being able to just massacre everyone.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Wow, people have already said this in various forms, but this season is really shaping up to be what you need vs what you want; the Monarch will quickly have to choose between wanting to arch Dr. Venture vs having Dr. Mrs. The Monarch whom he needs and Rusty's want to do super science a la what he thinks his dad did and what he needs, which is what JR did and gave to him on a silver platter. The theme seems to be present in everyone else's plotlines to some degree as well, but those two are clearly the main focus.

Goddamn am I happy the Venture Bros are back in full swing. I'm already dreading the end of the season.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

If the Monarch gets outed as Blue Morpho, no way the guild takes it well. The guild is a bureaucracy first and foremost, and killing fellow members just to advance your own agenda is unacceptable. Maybe if he did everything he could to get them off Venture without killing them, but not outright killing fellow villains.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

tarlibone posted:

I don't know. I've heard tell that they're lenient on murderers. "We have all been there," they say.

Hrm. I have to imagine that's murder in general, not murdering fellow guild villains. Unless they were specifically referring to murdering fellow members, in which case I have to wonder about the guild attrition rate.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

6-year plan man posted:

So they're just writing drat I thought they already had enough material for another season and they'd be on animating/voice overs by now. I set my expectations too high for this show why did I think this time would be different. :( :(

I find it best to just assume the series got cancelled after every season and forget about the show until a new season drops.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Nice, thanks for the heads up. Although I couldn't get a guild t-shirt like I wanted, at least I got the triad shirt I've had my eye on.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Spaghetti time.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Like with other pieces of media that go on hiatus for extremely long periods of time, I just assume the show's cancelled every time a season ends so that I'm pleasantly surprised when a new season actually comes out.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I always read it as Rusty has all the capability of being a super scientist, but instead of his dad actually raising him and teaching him, he just raised him as a Team Venture mascot instead, instilling in him a sense of inadequacy, misplaced confidence, and zero knowledge of how to actually be a super scientist. Which is why he was a perfect villain without realizing it, since that's essentially a villain backstory, only his entire identity is tied up in this whole being a super-scientist hero successor to his dad.

To me, the alternate universe, super-scientist, Broadway hit musical writing, perfect Rusty was just a Rusty that was, you know, not raised like a cartoon child-adventure hero and didn't have all that associated baggage.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

LashLightning posted:

I thought the Rusty!© musical would be about his whole being a sidekick. Was there any reason for him to be known as "Rusty" otherwise?

I think the Alt!Doc Venture just recovered from his childhood better.

Sure, but it feels like the exact same things didn't happen to them on those adventures. Like, I'm sure good Rusty had some underlying medical condition emerge while being a ransom victim, leading to the same rule about hostages being passed, but it feels like good Rusty would have gotten something like a burst appendix or something, not something embarrassing to a kid like testicular torsion.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Another control panel cruisin old goon who can't wait for the next season.

As much as I want to see Hank keep on being the coolest Venture, I'm curious to see where Dean goes from here. And obviously, I'll be devastated if the Order of the Triad doesn't make an appearance this season.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

X_Toad posted:

The problem is that Dean is on a path that isn't really suited to exciting stories : he's a college student, doing regular college student things, with the most irregular part of his life being his friendship with the Brown Spider, and that mostly happened offscreen so far. At best it seems like he would make a good heir for Jonas Jr's legacy rather than his father's or grand-father's.

Well, that's why I'm interested in Dean's story this season. As much as I want the boys to have what they want, Dean having a normal college life is clearly not in the cards in terms of the overall story.

I mean, Doc and Jackson could ignore Dean for a whole season as he lives the boring and normal life he desires...but is that really likely?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

mizbachevenim posted:

I also ordered the book long ago under an old address, and I immediately made a stupid excuse to pick it up with my five year old.

Tossing the book to her in the back seat while driving was a mistake.

Kid had a good run for five years, RIP.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

My book came today. I thought it was some other package I was supposed to get, so when I opened it up and saw the book, I literally shouted out, "Go Team Venture!"

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

Jonas was also the Action Man's drug dealer for many years

And I'm sure Jonas held Col. Gentleman's predilections over his head back then as well.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

gently caress Adult Swim.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

tl;dr: the hiatus continues, only this time it might be forever...for real this time.

And gently caress Adult Swim regardless

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

It's a proper coffee table art book that happens to be about an animated series instead of architecture or something. I love it to death

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Sash! posted:

I'll say he peaked in Home Movies until he has a moment that surpasses him throwing the door open, raising a six pack, bellowing "LET THE GAMES BEGIN," then crashing to Earth when he remembers it is a children's birthday party

Not only are you saying he peaked, which is just so wrong on so many levels, you didn't even choose SPAGHETTI TIME.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

The only respite for this is they know some of the stuff they did or neglected to do was lovely and part of the recent awkward past and are trying their best to fix their game. The first two seasons were in the background of a lot of awkward edgy and stupid early phase/one shot Adult Swim vehicles.

Yeah, this show is one of the few that really evolved over time and I'm very glad for that

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

I’m grateful for at least a movie but I really hope we get more.

In celebration (coincidence?) that Venture Bros/ Dril blog got Urbaniak to record a few Dril tweets in character.
Bloomin Onion: https://drilbros.tumblr.com/post/651011820994396160
I’m not owned: https://drilbros.tumblr.com/post/651012141270401024

Fantastic

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I would only want more Home Movies if it's a spin-off in the future about their own kids who are trying to become TikTok stars. And of course with McGuirk still around as the worstbest coach and teacher ever.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

I hope movie length doesn’t mean like 50 minutes. Looking at most “movie length” episodes of animated shows rn 😾

gently caress I hope it’s a good 90-100 minutes. Let it breathe, let it say goodbye properly. Gargantua 2 was great but it felt breakneck paced

If it's not AT LEAST a full 120 minutes, not including credits, I'm gonna be pissed.

Well, not exactly pissed since I'll be watching more Venture Bros., but you know what I mean.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Excuse you, without St cloud we wouldn't have the "eat the pennies, quiz boy" scene. And just imagine living in a world without it

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The reaction when Dr V finds out Quymn is epileptic is an alltimer

Lol, Dr. V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Nilbop posted:

Do it. Blow all your wads, guys.

I think I just did