Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have a dumb question: What DON'T you like about the show? This show is a top 10 (shows & cartoons) for me and many of my peers, but it's high quality means that when it does something I don't like it's super grating and seems like an extra wide miss. Also, learning why other people don't like things that I might have liked is important for creating your own content, it helps see things from outside your own perspective.

I really don't like how long it took Dean to find himself vs. Hank, but then again, Hank was basically raised by Brock, while Dean got snagged by Rusty opon entering teendom, so it makes sense.

I don't like all the pedophilia jokes. It took years of rewatching before I gave Sgt. hatred any credit but he becomes a great character, i just really think that the scenes about his illness and the minor plot threads that come from it are not funny and add absolutely nothing to the show. Billy has been or at least alluded to getting raped at least once (i'm 90% sure that happenned but maybe it was a flashback dream?) and again i don't see why that's funny. I beleive you can make fun of pedofilia and make fun of pedofiles, but its always either hatred hating himself for being sick (actually not funny) or it's making fun of the person getting raped (the only strictly wrong way to make this joke, IMO).

I feel like the black and red businessmen showed up, did a lot of standing around, and died and really don't even get why we needed them at all. Couldn't everything just have been Monstroso/Bowie/Molitov/Revenge Society? If they exist to flesh out Killinger, they kind of didn't even do that because we could already surmise that he was old and powerful and probably part of a group, since everyone in the show is on a team. I guarantee next season (I haven't even watched the trailer) will be about super-heroes forming a team and the various hilarious impracticalities therein.

Lastly, I just think it's like maybe a little lazy that the only two gay characters on the show end up together despite having EITHER nothing in common (we really don't know Shore Leave as well as we know Al) or everything in common (maybe being superheroes makes dating pools super limited and it's just like a "What else do I even have going on?" type thing.)

ok that was a lot of words about things I don't like in a great show, how about you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly I could use more of the Rusty we see when he is in the sewers with the cult. He just uses his insane luck/charisma to sweep them, and then when it turns to actual adventuring, he is able to shimmy up the rocket and slip out of the ropes like a circus monkey. i love that he was forced to grow up comepletely raw and want to see more of that scrappy resourcefulness, even in the lab, because it's his most redeeming quality for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Two things I want brought up this season that I don't think have been played up yet are Vmbrock Samson's brother and The Monarch's milkweed toxicity.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think we should hopefully get more of the boys saving themselves and less Brock slaughtering everything. We've only seen him dealing with idiots so far, and the GoCI/OSI/Murderdolls was full of nincompoops with one or two heavy hitters in Brock's league, but him be a Deus Ex Mulleta is something I'll be happy to see go.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Warriana looking like she's parking her Segway while flying cracks me up

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Man, this show gets better looking every year, doesn't it? I love season 1 but it looks so, so lovely. I guess that's what these 2+ year waits between seasons get you.

Yeah the first 5 minutes were just me marveling at how crisp everything looked. The Lasso of Truth gag with Brock was super cute, because in his earnest heart, he was compelled to let her know that he REALLY didn't care about the boob thing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The thing that i really love about the Monarch is that while every other villain is doing what they are doing out of lust for power, money, God & country, whatever, the Monarch is just doing it because he feels it deep down in his core, and the times in the show when the bumbling nerd is comepletely shunted and The Mighty Monarch is just a stone-cold super villain badass are the best parts of the show. regardless of whatever develops, I can't imagine that the climax of this show is anything other than Rusty and the Monarch duking it out mano a mano, preferably on top of Ven-Tech industries in the rain. Super serious music, heavy atmosphere, and the most brutal slap fight ever, full of purple nurples and eyebrow tugging.

Rusty would not have ever cloned himself due to his very special kind of arrogance. I can almost hear James Urbaniak say "How can you improve on... *motions hand towards his own speedsuit clad frame* perfection?"

Then again, maybe he needed another kidney after their trip to Mexico and he just cloned himself, took all the organs and put them on ice. THAT sounds like something he'd do.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If it is a clone, i doubt it'll be one that Rusty made, but I think the storyline that is the most fun is that it's the Monarch & Gary, and the guys at Astrobase always try to have fun.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One thing I love about the Monarch is that while he seems like a brutal incompetent, his strokes of genius (inviting the ventures to the wedding is my fave) are truly inspired. Honestly, even though the sun laser was dumb, the way he psyched out Captain Sunshine was awesome and really hosed up, and it's the scrappy resourcefulness that I love most about him. Rusty displays some of this too, but my favorite example is when he gets trapped in the sewer cult and he's escaping. He finds the silo and is like "oh w/e" and just starts climbing it like a monkey, because he knows his way around ropes and catwalks and stuff. The deep nerd in me would love to see what Rusty Venture or the Monarch's D&D character sheets would look like.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I sincerely hope for comedies sake that God Gas jacks your memory cortex so that Brock knows he got laid (sprained dong maybe) but can't remember it, and she teases him. Frustrated Brock is the best Brock.

I felt like this episode FLEW by and it seems like almost nothing happened? I guess if I hadn't been reading this thread the Blue Morpho stuff would have been a bigger deal but I felt like no plot points progressed other than the extremely telegraphed Monarch plot. Kinda disappointed that we have Nano-Dean last episode and like, 2 lines in this one.

I desperately need a Hank vs. Dean fight, where Hank gets Shoreleave to steal him another exo-suit, and insists that Billy and White add roboboobs to it. I don't know what they'd fight over but it'd be the coolest poo poo of my life.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Monarch and D.MtM are the only characters in the show who have ever demonstrated real, passionate love. The only person who otherwise comes close is Orpheus being a doting father, or I guess 21 ascent to badassdom in the name of 24.

Seriously, going back and watching him living at his mom's and barely able to fit into his henchman costume is so weird now, he is officially a badass in my head. Who else goes toe to toe with Brock and lives?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is also kind of nothing that 24 brought to the show that 21 doesn't do the same, and 24 serving as a catalyst for character development is more valuable. Also by season 4 the show was such a relentless cavalcade of duos I think Doc/Jackson realized that they had to cull the herd.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
"We'll know how cool we were." is peak Venture Bros.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually, I hope the GCI finds the Morpho Cave and assumes D.MtM is actually in cahoots with Blue Morpho and all of next season is Monarch, 21, and D.MtM all trying to work with the not avengers and the ventures to take down the GCI once and for all

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually, Upon rewatch, I see how INTO this Monarch and Gary are getting... what if at the very end of the season, the Guild recants their decision and offers the monarch Exclusive LEVEL 10 arching rights, and he tells them to gently caress off because he just loves being the Blue Morpho?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
With no hyperbole, I think that all four narratives coming together at the end in the delivery when Rusty gets shot is maybe the most artistically oriented thing that they've done and I was utterly spellbound.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
However, I feel like Hank & Dean have gotten the least amount of screen time. This was pretty much all about the Monarch and a little bit about Rusty and his entourage, Hank & Dean each get one side-plot in one episode each.

The show has such a rich cast that I'm only just noticing this after the fact, but it is called Venture Bros...

I hate the second half of this season provides closure on Sirena & Nano-Dean

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I only ever interpreted Think Tank as telling Dean to vamoose as a "I dont wear a mask surely this student will recognize me" move and absolutely nothing about a sinister dwarf who drives tanks around says "compassionate" to me and I'm very glad he got punked right away, because after the initial reveal and intro, it became apparent that he wouldn't really be happy arching doc.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The episode with the hunchback dean clone is an autoskip for me, i cant of any redeeming gags but i havent watched it in a while.
Dr Qymm has Doc ragdolling off the jeep and Dean's best line in the show "Brock, this is like the saddest thing ever". and both of those are laugh-til-u-cry moments for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It seemed to me that Red Death, presumably in his 40's or 50's, probably ran into the Blue Morpho as a freah young villain, and presumably someone as well known among villains as BM just wasn't scared. BM metced villains in cold blood, plus if anyone hosed with him they probably dont even make it home before Team Venture (literally) curb stomped them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'll take ANY large VB shirt off your hands duder. My tshirt game is so weak right now

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No mention of Unicornelius?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My favorite is "Brock, when you head to the store, I'm all out of condom, would you grab me another?" Or something, like he thinks they come as singles.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I gotta say that as much as I absolutely love Hunter, it always kind of irked me that such a lynchpin of the plot was based on the least original character in the show.

Everyone else is like a pastiche of character traits but Hunter is literally just "Johnny Depp from F&L in Las Vegas but trans". He's a great character with great lines and he fleshed out Brock very well, but for show that hinges off of "taking famous characters and flipping them on their head", they really just kind established who he is and how he talks and then he just double crosses everyone in the show systematically (except Shoreleave).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The point I was trying to make is that all your examples have their own spin on the character's personality, Hunter is just already fully formed because there is no 'take' on HST, he just IS HST.

Like Rusty is Dr. Quest, but he's selfish and greedy and totally self-absorbed and a terrible father, that's all amazing characterization that doc and Jackson added.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Gary's character arc is the only reason I stuck it out through season 5, which was meandering and aimless throughout.

Like when Gary squares up against Brock and not only lands a hit but then puts up a better fight than anyone else since Molotov or the buff lady from the jungle, I literally said "ok this was worth it".

Plus it doesn't matter if a character's dead if they are constantly being given new lines and jokes. He was still a constant for a while after he died.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I got super mournful that we might not have more Venture Bros this decade so I started rewatching Harvey Birdman and oh my god this poo poo is so good I was such a dweeb in High School I had no idea how good I had it lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A discussion of long running AS swim shows jumping the shark and no one has brought up Sealable basically dying with Murphy despite going on for two more seasons

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve never seen an episode but I adore S1-5 of archer, superjail, drinky crow, the oblongs, ATHF, China, IL, Sealab, Metalacalypse, Home Movies, Mission Hill and obviously venture bros.

Is it anywhere on that spectrum?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Remember that blocking out an hour for Doomstar cuts out 4 of adults swims timeslots, not just 2, so it also jacks up their other serialized shows.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Trying to describe why Metalocalypse is good doesn’t really work, you kinda just gotta sit someone down with S1 and just grind it out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve done a series run through 5-6 times and I always skip Spanakopita (it has like no jokes and the central premise is such a bummer it drags the whole thing down) and the episode where the hunchback Dean keeps trying to kill him. It’s just 15 minutes of punching down on this poor crazy deformed homeless person and feels incredibly mean-spirited, especially for this show.

Also I love people hand-wringing about the language in S1-S2 as if we literally all didn’t talk that way in the 90’s.

I’m 30, and I was calling people gay and retard for years in middle school before it ever occurred to me to find out what those words meant, and I don’t think I ever even heard about Transgender stuff AT ALL until college. Dan Harmon talks about it in Harmontown, calling poo poo ‘gay’ or retarded was extremely OK in the film/tv LA scene well into the late 2000’s and he never really remembers anyone piping up about it until 2012ish.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I remember reading about how they hadn’t written for Dana in a long time and I thought that meant the Triad was gonna just fade into the background so seeing them front and center had me CRAZY hyped for season next. I really hated the setting swap and thought it was pretty disappointing but this is already shaping up to be some next level stuff

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

prefect posted:

Didn't they spend half the season 2 budget on that song that played while Brock chased Rusty around the world?

Worth every penny

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Gary kissing Shiela is inarguably the furthest he’s gone with a girl, because if he’s ever hooked up with anyone, he and 24 (RIP) would be talking about it at some point.

He’s probably totally in love with her, and honestly, he might try the same exact stunt the Monarch pulled when he snakes her from Phantom Limb.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s crazy to be watching this episode and laughing my balls off like 3 minutes in and realizing that this is one of the only waits in life that is really worth the wait.

LoL: Who told you you could take Art!?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 6, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Im enjoying my rewatch of last season way, way more than my first watch, but frankly it’s loving crazy and kind of embarrassing that Jackson and Doc literally didn’t understand their budget/episode order and that there wasnt a lawyer or legal advocate or financial advisor that could’ve helped them figure it out before they started production.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s actually the coolest thing Pete’s ever done on the show because it’s arguably the LEAST SELFISH thing he’s ever done on the show.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I honestly haven’t cared about Jonas Sr. For like 10 years. We get it, he’s a genius super scientist and maybe the worst dad of all time. Honestly, that’s funny enough for me. Between Team Venture, the lab, the space station, spider skull island, we have so much Jonas content and elaboration on what is an incredibly simple premise.

Basically just give me straight Blue Morpho//Red Death lore from here on out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think some of the series strongest episodes were the ones where Rusty deals with his unresolved issues around his father and we see how capable he really is, that's what makes him a sympathetic character for me. When he is about to sign the contract and become his brother's Arch, that entire episode is literally about Rusty coming to terms with his own manhood and birthright through the lens of his father.

Reintroducing Jonas Sr. and making him like a character on the show has to potential to undo all of that and Rusty losing all his cool new toys because his alpha male dad shows up sounds like the lamest possible direction this series could go, and bringing his dad back from the dead just so Rusty can go "No gently caress you Dad I'm a successful super scientist and i love my kids and you were the worst father ever! I love you goodbye!" sounds like, only marginally better to me.