Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I'm really loving this episode so far, it feels like an old episode.

Also, loved the general ducking while falling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Killinger, Mr. Mrs. The Monarch, Phantom Limb, the three members of the Council that are still alive. That's six of 13 that's almost guaranteed spots. Then you start having to speculate.

Dr. Phage survived too, so I'd imagine him. Also, didn't Unterbeit come through with Phantom Limb? Maybe him too.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

Does "inadvertently burning down the Venture compound" count as the Monarch's most successful arching attempt? Since that's pretty archvillain-y

I don't know if it was that inadvertent. He said something about how you can't expect him to go to the Venture compound and not do a little arching, and that was a lot of fire.

Maybe the entire place burning down was like a best case scenario, and the worst case scenario was an annoying big fire.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure he set down some gas in that butterfly pattern or something before taking off.

Oh, he absolutely did, with the gas can that he had. I meant that the compound burning down may have just been a side effect bonus that wasn't planned.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Also I'm pretty sure Syrio isn't dead, no way GRRM would let a character go just like that

Benjen didn't just die out there as a plot device to get the Night's Watch to march north, either. People don't just die randomly throughout all of the books.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Omg I remember the argument about clones vs. Clothes.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Did anyone notice Kano talking when Vendata/Venturion/Morpho came up the escalator? This has been a great run, but I'm excited to see Monarch back, even if he's going to start questioning what's up between him and Rusty. It was a nice touch when they grabbed each other as they were falling into the balloon.

I'm going to be sad when this is the last we see of the Action Man.

I suppose this means it's been 2 years and 17 days since the events of season one?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

The World Inferno posted:

Also Freddie Mercury was a villian in this shows universe, and that's wonderful.

and apparently he was basically the Flash? I suppose that name is appropriate for him. Why was he an upstart, when Bowie (well, shapeshifter pretending to be Bowie) was the Sovereign?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I know they supposedly don't set stuff up in advance, but now I really want to re-watch Careers in Science and see if there is any morse code to be seen going on with the PROBLEM light.

There can't be. People would have caught that it wasn't a normal blinking light 15 years ago. I'm sure it's just a normal cadence blinking.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

tarlibone posted:

Dean pronounces the word "robot" like Dr. Zoidberg does.

That's a New York way of pronouncing it. I've heard it a few times up here and I laugh every time. It reminds me of Zoidberg.

It really hope that it just a Freddy Mercury themed villain and not actually him. He should be much bigger than slumming it with the minor guild people, especially in 86.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

MizPiz posted:

It's something he does when he isn't doing Triad stuff. Jefferson is supposed to be the blaxploitation version of Blade.

So, Blade?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Someone claimed the bounty on blue morpho though - I wonder who. (Jonas through an intermediary?) The cause of the plane crash is definitely still a mystery.

Did phantom limb sound really weird in this episode? All of his line deliveries are...off and he sounded like fuckin' stewie when he said "what the devil?".

The bounty on Blue Morpho that the Guild placed from Monarch killings Archs through the past season? Monarch claimed it by "killing" his dad under Jonas Venture, whose rear end he also kicked.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

A million a month is like professional athlete at the prime of their game money. It’s nothing to scoff at. A ‘normal’ middle class family can live off of the interest of $10m without having to do anything other than let it sit in a savings account at 2-3%. That’s still 2-300k/yr. Assuming inflation doesn’t go all Weimarzimbabwe on you.

Where the hell are you getting interest of 2-3%? My savings account interest is .01%.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Anyone who's going through Venture Bros withdrawal, go check out the new DuckTales. It's basically PG Venture.

Huey is Dean
Dewey is Hank
Louie is kinda like Pete White
Donald is Brock/Hatred
Mrs. Beakley is Brock
Launch pad is harder to say. David Puddy as a cartoon?
Gyro is Rusty
Scrooge is Jonas's image, a more ideal, caring Jonas

And on and on. There are some episodes that feel like straight up Venture episodes, like the Egyptian one.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Ducktales/Venture Bros similarities are still pretty meta given the original Scrooge/Donald Duck comics date waaaay back and were inspired by and inspired the kind of two-fisted pulp stories, children's adventure comics and cartoons, and Johnny Quest that Venture Bros lovingly lampoons. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Venture Bros reference in the new DuckTales at some point.

On Hank's character development; I have to wonder if he's taking inspiration not just from Brock and maybe Hatred, but the old Team Venture too, given he's spent quite a bit of time with Action Man. And then again, also with 21, and they get along oddly well. Hank's outright said he's prone to taking on flights of fancy and actually becomes massively more confident and competent in his personas compared to just being Hank.

I've said before; it might just be Hank who's going to end up going down the villainous path. Especially given he has a lot more in common with his uncle (the other one) than his father.

(...actually fitting that we've got two sets of Venture Brothers who ended up having a third extra one)

Don't forget Dr. Quymn could be a sister as well.

You're definitely right about Ducktales. It's based on all that stuff. IIRC George Lucas read a lot of Scrooge comics while writing Raiders of the Lost Ark, too.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

How do you know you came of age in the late 90s? You think a long sleeve t shirt under a short sleeve t shirt is acceptable.

I still do it, though.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I was out with friends in like 2009 and I did it and they nicknamed me Skater Boy. Apparently it looks crazy late 90s. I don't mind it, but it is a dated look.

Apparently tying your sweatshirt around your waist is really 90s as well. Either that or you look like a 13 year old girl who just got her period.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 13, 2018

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Billy, eat the drat pennies already!

Listen to your sidekick, Quizboy.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the deal is meant to be that Dragoon's thing has always been as a very physically active villain, but clearly well past his prime, what with managing to terminally injure himself fighting off Phantom Limb and needing to get sewn onto Red Mantle. Basically like Brock or Hatred given an extra half century. Mantle doesn't have as much of an issue as a wizard, since as we all know wizards live longer and can get by being physically frail when they have incredible magical power.

I never thought of it as him terminally injuring himself so much as Phantom Limb shocked him into cardiac arrest. Phantom Limb basically killed him but still needed him, so got Billy to sew him onto Red Mantle.

If Phantom Limb didn't have shocker arms, Dragoon would have kicked his rear end and still had his body.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

What about:

King - Rusty
Queen - Brock
Bishop - Orpheus and Hatred
Knight - Billy and Pete
Rook - Helper and Walking Eye
Pawn - Hank and Dean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Unmature posted:

Manstrong found the Autofocus tape and went into a crazy horny fugue watching it and killed everyone just like he did when he crashed the station

Nah, he saw the tape, passed out and fell on the door open lever.