Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Cojawfee posted:

Would you really want to ruin the experience of watching an episode by watching a crappy cell phone video where security turns it off five minutes in?

Why does a junkie rub his gums on the carpet when he spills his fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

first ep i saw is the one with race bannon and i watched johnny quest as a kid so i was really drawn in from moment 1, and i treat the show like prestigious serial television a la twin peaks and the sopranos. i like how it blends the kind of bizarre superhero universes from cartoons like the super friends or the tick with the long form character development of more acclaimed dramas. rick and morty appeals to me for its clever episode structures and escalations, it works best as a sitcom with very specific scenarios in which the characters can interact. ultimately they are dramatically different shows in format even if they share a sarcastic shell around an emotional core. yes i know ben edlund creator of the tick also wrote a couple eps of vb

If you ever listen to the R&M commentary Harmon loves to talk about the sitcom formula and how he lampoons/uses/deconstructs it in most episodes so you basically hit the hail on the head there

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Yup. A lot of the episodes sound like SA threads. Its probably not needed to be said, but start from the beginning, as the Batman TAS episode is great, and it never really dips in quality, even when they're talking about shows I didn't care about (Dexters Labratory) or outright hated (Bobby's World).

Most of the episodes are good but I stopped listening to the clone wars episodes about 90 seconds in after the disappointment of realizing its not about the amazing Genndy Tartakovsky miniseries but the CGI cartoon from years later

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

I always thought it weird they named that guy after Che. Its a reference without a joke. I guess they're both Hispanic doctors?

"Che" can also just mean "Guy" "Man" or "Dude". It's not always a name

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

tarlibone posted:

(Metalocalypse was great. I'm a metalhead, and a musician, and even a bass player, so maybe I'm biased. But, as much as I loved the show, it, along with China, Illinois, didn't fare as well as hoped when it went from 15 minutes to 30.)

I hate metal music and Metalocalypse is still probably my 3rd alltime favorite adult swim show behind Venture Bros and Sealab

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's pretty off-course from Venture Bros but I feel like Xavier Renegade Angel didn't get nearly the attention it deserves if we're gonna talk "top Adult Swim shows"

Oh god you are one of those freaks who also watched like 'twelve oz mouse' and 'worker and parasite' arent you?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Yes. That's why it's so noisy when he walks.

Since when is corduroy supposed to be a noisy fabric?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

I think "gay" is mostly gone and will disappear altogether but "retarded" is here to stay. Like "moron" is still used today and that was the "retarded" of its day

We should just switch to 'cretin' it has much nobler etymological roots.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

You're right, but still, not exactly people for which you should have a lot of sympathy.

The only thing Patty Hearst did wrong was go back to her awful bougie life after having her eyes opened to the crimes of her class.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That would even be a logical progression of Killinger's shtick of nurturing aspiring supervillains- 21 has it in him to be one, his inner conflict of being a big fan of superheroes while also a proud henchman giving him some of the most dangerous attributes of both.

Nothing is more dangerous than a genre-savvy supervillain

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

MizPiz posted:

Except he came back at the end of the second episode

yeah but Kano doesnt have to know that

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

So back in Season 5, after Entmann died Action Man said he was the "First of Team Venture to go" which always struck me as odd and I always took it to mean he was the first of the 'team' to die but it looks like they've had it in mind to bring back a not-dead Jonas for at least that long

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

tarlibone posted:

Of course, they could bring Jonas Venture Sr. back. I just hope they don't.

isn't it a little too late for that?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

to be fair the last time we saw major tom he was still screaming

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Phenotype posted:

i'm curious to know why you say that. I didn't rewatch the whole episode just now, but I caught the starting bits on Youtube and it doesn't seem at all like they planned for Jonas to be in the Problem box. Manstrong had a card that said to contact Dr. Venture, which I GUESS could mean to talk to him in the box, but that seems like a real stretch. And IIRC there was an actual problem onboard that Rusty solved, something about a toy of his from ages ago that melted and shorted out some wiring. For my money it was just supposed to be a silly '50s-sciency problem indicator until they decided to write this episode.

the problem light goes right back to blinking after Rusty leaves so taking out the melted cowboy didnt actually fix anything

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

So, was there an explanation for why the ghost in the machine kept playing "Street Life"? (thinks, checks) Oh, wait, they were showing "Sharky's Machine" at Movie Night.

Interestingly, not everything that happened in the building can be explained by the ghost in the machine. Just being hooked into all the building's systems doesn't explain the rats infesting H.E.L.P.eR, or the ghostly hand emerging from the screen to tell Brock "you killed us all! You'll die knowing you've done this."

JJ's hologram projector in Rusty's bed cant be the only one in the penthouse can it? Thats plausible enough to explain where the hand came from if there's one that can project into brock's room.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I think this tips off that the Blue Morpho they see at the end is the real one. He went back to his old hideout and grabbed all his poo poo.

yeah I thought that was obvious
he has the car that 21 thought Monarch had taken that morning, then at some point between 21 leaving the house and coming back with DrMrs the real BM sends the cave into 'inconspicuous' mode

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Question Friend posted:

Spoiler for an episode that you actually haven't seen yet

Blue Morpho is Vendata and has a touching moment with Jonas Sr now that they're both cyborgs

That would also mean that the Monarch and his Father trying to kill Rusty Venture is a family tradition

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Shindragon posted:

That was probably the biggest shock for me honestly.

When last season Monarch was like whaaat 21? He’s fine, I figured that he let him go just to never return. I figured the burial of the legs was fake out but drat guess 21 did kill him. Monarch took Red Deaths advice too literal. As for Shelia knowing Dugong is alive? I mean she’s part of the council 13 where she would have access to arch files. Now the question for me is there gonna be an escalation because RD killed OSI agents which I’m pretty sure is a no no.

Back in Season 3's finale Brock and Monarch killed like over a hundred random OSI dudes between them so I dont think it's gonna be that big a deal

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

No way in hell do I expect Blue Morpho and Jonas Sr. to stay dead forever.

This episode was a great way to kick the can down the road on some big questions while still telling a great story in the past and present.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

big dyke energy posted:

I feel like he has dirt on all of them at this point.

Jonas was also the Action Man's drug dealer for many years

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

BexGu posted:

Oh, does any one have a good shot of Red Deaths 80s crew? I always though the names were great but to see their costumes made it even better.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

OGS-Remix posted:

New council member is going to be Knife Bear. No one could refuse. :ese:

Scare Bear

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

MizPiz posted:

It's something he does when he isn't doing Triad stuff. Jefferson is supposed to be the blaxploitation version of Blade.

some motherfuckers always tryin' to ice skate uphill

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I got the impression that Treister liked the big G.I.Joe-style OSI, heavy on offense and kitsch, while Hunter seems to be more enthusiastic about an smaller OG OSS-style organization, with more emphasis on espionage and spycraft, hence his hiring Molotov to clear out all the moles and dead weight.

On the commentary for season 5 they mention how while writing episodes they would come up with absurd names for a new OSI guy only to discover that there were already actual GI Joe characters by those names

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Question Friend posted:

Maybe I was spoiled by the opening trilogy but that episode felt weak

a little of both I think

I'm glad the obligatory dean episode is over with though

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Y'all nuts. That episode had some great gags.

Brock just hitting Doc's morphine three times rather than staying with him
Doc removing the glass from his leg and then just hovering there passed out
Helper the receptionist

Plus the Monarch's dream was cool as hell

You're right, whenever dean wasnt on screen the episode was 10/10

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

RandallODim posted:

Brock and Hatred totally murdered that couple.

I was 100% ready for a Super Troopers style "Swinging German Couple" joke getting into a 4-way with Brock and Hatred but then...:stonk:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Does Dean not understand the value of a dollar and just wrote a million dollar check without realizing what he was doing?

Are there any accountants at Ventech who would see this million dollar check and put a stop payment on it? I feel like if some costumed guy came in with a check for a million dollars, I'd confirm with the bank it came from that it was legit. That seems like the kind of scheme The Monarch would come up with. Capture Rusty, force him to write a million dollar check and then spend a few hours at the bank trying to get it cashed.

He went from being homeschoooled on a superscience compound to being a billionaire in new york city. Yeah i'm pretty sure Dean has 0 idea of the value of a dollar. Hank at least seems to have some measure of financial savvy from his multiple business ventures.

Also being a billionaire, a single payment of one million dollars is not a significant hit to the wallet

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What's more depressing is that as a lowly level five, Monarch was the 'earner of the month' in an organization full of level 6-10s. Methinks the Guild is like the Amway of Evil.

There could be separate rankings for different levels like weight divisions in boxing.

Phantom Limb used to steal original Rembrandt paintings and those each cost a mint by themselves.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

There was no mention at all of the Morpho Cave being out of stealth mode or really any mention or reaction about the Monarch's doublelife from Dr.Mrs. The Monarch this episode which was a little strange. I get the morphic trilogy is over and they moved 2 months on but not even a peep in what was otherwise a fairly monarch-heavy episode

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

MichiganCubbie posted:

Where the hell are you getting interest of 2-3%? My savings account interest is .01%.

Some treasury bonds will get 1-3% depending on the year/type of bond

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Scooter_McCabe posted:

At 10 million dollars you buy up real estate and become a landlord.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

luxury handset posted:

sure they didn't air the parts where rusty was nearly drowned or shot a man to death, but also rusty had to live those experiences so he could be propped up as a celebrity. and also as an excuse for jonas to drag his son around on horribly dangerous and traumatizing adventures under the pretense that it is character building

Except they did air exactly that in the first ORB episode. Billy is watching the cartoon and they show Rusty being forced to shoot a guy to save his dad. Billy freeze frames right as Rusty fires so we dont know what the result of that shot was but it was obviously Rusty trying to kill a guy.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

Something occurred to me: there were two spider themed guys, the Brown Widow and the Wandering Spider. I wonder if they had some history.

Dont forget Scaramantula!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

The eyebrows are five and six, and the mustache she makes eight legs. See? Tarantula, Scaramantula!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Vitamin Boss posted:

Have some people just not seen ORB or what? The Rusty Venture Show being a cartoon has been concrete knowledge since 2003 at least and was a major plot point in a very well-known episode.

There are also comic books

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

They should have given it a different style from the actual show. Give it a more childrens cartoon style to set it apart.

Rusty looks like a keebler elf in the in-cartoon cartoon

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

MizPiz posted:

Posting without comment

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/the-venture-bros/sneak-peek-the-pool-battle/

Except this comment: It's strange but welcoming to see Dr. Mrs. The Monarch in something other than a fetish outfit

Slap a hat on her and she's a dead ringer for Jack White

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

tarlibone posted:

If that were true, they'd be 100% like their dads. That's how clones work, both in real life and in this show's universe.

also