Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Does anyone else think that Venture Bros really, really needs to do a second soundtrack release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think my biggest disappointment with the season is how short it is. Is it a matter of Adult Swim being really tight-fisted, or do the producers just prefer to work the way they work and that happens to be unconducive to doing more than a handful of episodes a year?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sereri posted:

The answer in this thread to this usually comes down to "artistic integrity", Publick and Hammer write the all episodes themselves and that takes time. Also the animation process is a apparently time intensive. I guess you could "solve" both by throwing money at the problem but then would you want to?

I guess it would depend on where a lot of time is spent. I mean if it genuinely takes them two years to bust out thirteen (or ten, now) scripts, then no, I wouldn't want AS to hire additional writers. But if throwing more money at animation meant going from two years to one year with approximately the same visual quality then hell yes I am all for it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think Brock killed them so there wouldn't be any potential realization. Remember the episode where Hank realizes Brock's thought about killing him and Dean?

Fake edit: and I see others have come up with this several times already.

Honestly I think that one's a bit much, it's way funnier that he's thought about it merely because they can be so dumb and annoying (especially first season, jesus).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I rewatched the old Brisby episode and I got the impression that if Congress hadn't outlawed cloning technology, Rusty's career might have been on a completely different track. Honestly, given how well the clone slugs work, Rusty's cloning tech would be revolutionary; if he was able to prevent brain development altogether, he could mass-produce organs for transplants. Or make custom slugs for wealthy individuals who want a whole personal backup set of "spare parts".

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheBalor posted:

No, that always seemed to be the case to me as well. It looks like he can halt the aging process, but not speed it up, which is why he needed dozens and dozens of slugs waiting around to replace Hank and Dean. Can't just grow new ones.

What about the clone of the kid who died at the Boy Adventurers Camp?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Supposedly season 6 is slated for fall 2014 at the earliest, possibly early 2015.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DrBouvenstein posted:

8. The portable force field that is weirdly susceptible to club soda.

Well, let's be clear, club soda works on everything.

Jeffrey posted:

His dad almost seemed to relish forcing him into it, like it was a fun game to torture him. "When your father turned from role model to tormentor rival" and stuff. Of course it doesn't stop Rusty from doing it to Dean, but Dean at least has a spine now and can say no.

Also eliminating death is like the best scientific achievement possible, and while I'm sure his dad/Ben did most of the work, having the stones to implement it to protect his family is pretty noble and awesome.

Nah, he mentions more than once that the cloning was his "life's work", and that he'd have been loving golden if the government hadn't cracked down on cloning technology. The learning beds were leftover from Jonas, but I think Rusty adapted them to also serve as braindumps for the clones.

I mean honestly just the cloning is a loving amazing achievement in itself. Just alter the clone slugs so they never develop brains, and voila! you have an organ donation farm. Imagine mass-producing organs of all blood types so that we never lacked donor organs again.

And medical research! Imagine what kind of disease and pharmaceutical studies could be done if you had an endless supply of brainless human bodies to experiment with!

Rusty's an rear end, but he's also got some legitimate reasons to be angry at the world. Imagine if you spent twenty years achieving a goddamn miracle of science and technology, with the potential to both revolutionize medical science and guarantee a lifetime of respect (and riches), and loving cheated death... and were then told "nope sorry, gently caress off and never do anything with it again".

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, but what does it do?

It doesn't do anything, that's the beauty of it!

:haw:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wade Wilson posted:

That's just what Starfleet wants everyone to think.
:goonsay:

This is getting into some dumb/lazy Terry Nation poo poo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

I can never remember what season we're even on with this drat show. It's been so long.

Season 6 is allegedly going to premiere early 2015.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PostNouveau posted:

They mentioned on one of the commentary tracks that they don't have the manpower to generate enough background characters. They suggested that instead of fanart, people should send them original characters they can fill scenes with.

Jesus you'd think Adult Swim could maybe spend a dollar

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

prefect posted:

Everything Treister says is great, but that kills me every time.

My favorite Treister line is "Don't tell Washington! Don't tell secret President!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Are you crazy? That table's at least sixty feet away.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Goddamnit Adult Swim just spend a loving dollar on animation already, jesus.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Toplowtech posted:

I wonder if the "successful rusty" from the parallel dimension is just a Rusty with hair implants from a dimension where he inherited sooner/slightly in the future. Comedy option: Rusty used a time travel portal, not a parallel dimension portal without realizing it.

I know this is from waaaay back, but it's even simpler: the "successful Rusty" comes from a timeline where Congress didn't outlaw cloning technology.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Data Graham posted:

Speaking of, would you believe PBF suddenly started updating again a couple weeks ago after god knows how long? :psyduck:

It's because Nicholas Gurewitch did a Kickstarter and one of the stretch goals was "release several new PBF comics". I'm guessing we'll have another dry stretch.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Let me introduce you to St. Elsewhere's Tommy Westphall.

Wait, wait, wait, how the gently caress is Star Trek connected to Red Dwarf and Team Knight Rider

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I dunno, every time I suggest that maybe the massive hiatus between seasons might in part be because Adult Swim needs to spend a buck on the show, everyone starts flipping out about "NO NO NO IT'S JUST THEIR MASTER ARTISTIC VISION, THEY HAVE ENOUGH MONEY, EVERYTHING IS PERFECT :supaburn:" but not being able to get another woman or two in the recording studio sounds like a budget problem to me.

I don't buy the "we might not be able to get the same actor" poo poo either. Yeah okay Stephen Colbert that's one thing, but you're telling me there's a huge risk that a professional voice actor is going to become impossibly booked up? Please.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WrathOfBlade posted:

The identity of the Venture Mothers is one of those things I doubt they'll ever actually resolve, because they've built the mystery to a point where there can't really be a satisfying answer. the show is such a raging sausage festival boys' club

I love Venture Brothers, but it's very much like Achewood in the sense that most of the women are props for the men to play off of.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pope Guilty posted:

:siren: Adult Swim is repeatedly streaming the entire series. :siren: They just started over after showing All That and Gargantua 2, the online epilogue, and the season 6 trailer. No date announcement added to the season 6 trailer, sadly.

Hey man, we don't even need a Season 6, the show's perfect as it is, why can't you just accept that? :v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hughesta posted:

Jim Thirlwell posted on Facebook today that Volume II of the soundtrack will be released soon.

FINALLY

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

X_Toad posted:

Hey, Hammer does female voices when they want them to be particularly gimmicky : Dr Ms The Monarch's deep voice (which must be a strain on Hammer's voice by the way, considering his natural voice) or Billy's mom voice, which is meant to sound like her son's, so I don't really have a problem with it. But yeah, another female VA would be cool. Maybe they should just kill Brock and use the money to hire a lady to voice a new regular character?

Maybe Adult Swim should spend a fuckin' dollar

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Doc and Jackson just abandon the animation part altogether and write megawords of official Venture Bros fiction. In order to read any of it, fans must get landline modems and spend hours attempting to get through to one of the four phone lines running into a BBS hosted on a wheezing, rickety old 486.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think my first exposure to Venture Bros was the episode where Dean is getting married to Baron Underbheit. It wasn't a deliberate "hey this show rocks" thing, we were just lazing in front of a TV and it happened to be on.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dazerbeams posted:

Ha, the wait is going to get longer and longer between seasons until it becomes the cartoon equivalent of ASOIAF.

The next book is never coming out.

Part of me wonders if they'll get to the point where they just say "gently caress it" and end the series as a comic book miniseries big gently caress-off Livejournal post.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sockser posted:

If you think of it as a half season it feels a lot better.

Someone needs to tell Adult Swim that huge hiatuses between half-seasons went out of style with Battlestar Galactica.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hughesta posted:

JG Thirlwell just announced that Volume 2 of the Venture Bros OST is going to be released soon

FINALLY

(now watch, it won't have any of the cues I actually want)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I would pay $10 for that one song that plays during the montage of Billy winning quizzes in "The Invisible Hand of Fate."

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DSTbW-uTrA Starts at the end of this clip

I really, really want the sad piano theme that plays when Rusty tells Hank about how his teenaged birthday party went ("That sounds like a nightmare." "Oh no! Today was a ~*nightmare*~. That birthday party is my life.") and when they opened the box that Brock sent with HELPER's head wrapped in a jacket.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

tarlibone posted:

You're trolling them.

And then you're going to troll me.

Oh my GOD!!!!!

(I'd do "Oh my Gooooooooood," but that looks like the word "good.")

I love this. I really do.

(Unsolicited suggestion: consider "GAAAAWWWD" as an alternate spelling to reduce ambivalence.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pope Guilty posted:

Now Venture'll send Samson after the rest of us and he'll go totally sickhouse on our asses! I like my rear end, gentlemen.

You're referencing the first aired episode, which is not the pilot. The first episode had Rusty in Mexico giving a talk and then getting his kidneys stolen, while his kids got kidnapped and Brock got hit by a truck. The pilot had Rusty presenting a death ray at a United Nations science conference, while the boys (and then Brock) have a run-in with a prostitute as the Monarch stalks them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Has Adult Swim ordered additional seasons yet?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

tarlibone posted:

... where's the spot where it says the show was renewed?

Just because they're writing for it, that doesn't mean it's been green-lit or anything.

Jackson Publick said "And there was actually a little confusion for a while as to whether or not the Gargantua special counted against our 10-episode order," so it sounds like even the show-runners aren't always sure where they stand.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Maaaan, no sad piano piece. :(

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jose posted:

they charge something like £4 for a bowl of cereal and got trashed in the recent riots

Did Britain outlaw the import or manufacture of breakfast cereal?? :psyduck:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Servaetes posted:

That being said, how many seasons you guys think we got in the tank? Can't imagine them still going five or ten years from now and them still doing this poo poo considering Doc himself is drat near 50.

I predict we get a ninth season and then Adult Swim pulls the plug so they can upgrade the office facilities to two-ply.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JethroMcB posted:

Doc and Jackson have said, in so many words, that next season's premiere could wrap up the Big Story. They've considered doing another hourlong "special" to close it out and tide people over until the next season is completely finished.
Which would cut into their production order, and probably result in this exact situation, yet again.

Goddamnit Adult Swim spend a loving dollar on this show already

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

X_Toad posted:

I think they spend all the dollars necessary (seriously the animation has been getting better and better), it's just that the creators work at their own particular pace.

A few years ago that might have carried some water, but not after Jackson Publick has said "And there was actually a little confusion for a while as to whether or not the Gargantua special counted against our 10-episode order." It sounds to me like they would have been entirely willing to do more episodes if Adult Swim had been willing to pay to have them made.

I really think the low episode count is less about two poor little genius auteurs grinding their fingers to the bone to bring us the most exquisitely artisanal handcrafted bespoke animation, and more about Cartoon Network being stingy with how much they're willing to spend on the show, and I'm really not sure why there's so much resistance to this notion.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

RandallODim posted:

I still remember there being an article in TV Guide about the show after either the pilot or the first episodes of season one that was just all about how it was a Johnny Quest parody.

I seem to recall a story from way back when about how during first season production or something, someone from Cartoon Network basically called them and said "you know we own Jonny Quest, right? you can literally have Jonny Quest characters show up in this thing if you want."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

tarlibone posted:

According to Nerdist, the return of the Venture Bros. is on the horizon! Wait... there will still be horizons in late 2018, right?

That's okay it just means we're getting the most authentically artisanal handcrafted animation possible