Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hah, its the Dick Whitman house!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

2house2fly posted:

So was it Action Man's wife who died from a stroke? I remember in the first season she was alive and I don't recall any mention of her death since then.

Didn't Dr. Orpheus tell Action Man that he was going to die of a stroke in an earlier episode? Looks like it was just his wife.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"Attaboy Rusty! Now please, dry your tears and we'll blame the whole thing on Oswald..."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Clearly Hank is not a failure.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

But why did the original Captain Sunshine become his butler? That seems like a terrible job for an ex superhero.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TBH the show relies a little too much on pedophile jokes. Its understandable, giving that its about child adventurers, but still.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So, uh, do you guys just not click on other threads on SA, or even TV IV in particular?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"He's nutsy."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ah its for the best, if she's willing to walk away from Dean just because of what a talking demon dog told her, then she's not worth it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I feel like we've been watching different shows.

I get that there's an endless supply of excuses why (having to pay a new voice actor, women not suffering from arrested development in the same way, hard to write for, etc) but it really wouldn't kill them to write more women that aren't love interests or throwaway cameos.

I, uh ,was being a bit tongue in cheek. I agree that the show could use more female characters, especially since they ones they do have are pretty great.

Triana served as a straight man for Hank and Dean, giving a 'normal' teenager reaction to their bizarre boy adventurer lives. As their characters grew and they became less sheltered I imagine there was less reason to keep using her. Plus this show has 5 million side characters and, like, only 10 episodes every 3 years so to actually use them.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Come to think of it, Jonas Venture Sr. poorly disguising himself as a Japanese man in "Now Museum, Now You Don't" might be a reference to the same Bond movie - You Only Live Twice. Except it was even more ridiculous when Sean Connery did it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

tarlibone posted:

I was just reading in the Star Trek thread before I came here. So, when I read this post, my main question was, "To whom is Q giving this inter-butt-ular heroin delivery system, and does whoever he's giving it to even want it? Can it be removed without reappearing? Does it have John de Lancie's face on any part of it? Does that part talk? Picard! It's Picard, isn't it!"

Then I remembered where I was: the Venture Bros. thread. And Q is from James Bond... which everyone is talking about right now.

Geez. It's like I'm channeling dead crazy people.

This but also I made the QAnon thread and now I never know what I'm reading.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm doing my rewatch now (up to Butterglider) and, naw, its fine. Maybe give a content warning to someone sensitive to hearing "retard" or "gay" used as a synonym for lame, but honestly its not really hateful. You shouldn't talk like that now, sure, but the dialogue still holds up as clever and funny. Especially compared to how much other media from that time used harsher language like "human being" constantly

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

RandallODim posted:

"Oooh, very gener- oh, this is in pesos. All these zeros are meaningless."

I always thought it weird they named that guy after Che. Its a reference without a joke. I guess they're both Hispanic doctors?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

"Che" can also just mean "Guy" "Man" or "Dude". It's not always a name

No, the Doctor's name is Ernesto Guevara, just like Che. They even focus on the door so you have time to recognize the reference.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

24's ghost says retard a season later.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

We live in a world where Pickle Rick is nominated for an Emmy but Venture Bros never will be.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just the opposite, Metalocalypse was in the home stretch and [adult swim] cancelled it before they could wrap up the story.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

12 oz. Mouse had an overarching plot in between all the bad art and random monkey cheese humor. The plot was also bad, however.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

Isn’t it ‘Wide Wale’ as in the cloth, not ‘Wide Whale’?

I knew there was a pun there but I didn't know what this was until now.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Both Sonny and Ted show up as zombies in the URGH episode also.

Most people probably know this, but it was only on my last rewatch that I realized Hammer and Publick are in the jury during the Monarch's trial. And Trump is attending Wide Wale's party.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: oh nvm

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 21, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Uh, this is bad news for a lot more than a show that's been cancelled for years. Guy wasn't even that old, all things considered.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Adult Swim streamed them on its website.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So did I. Adult Swim premiered the first two episodes on their website as a one time special.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Do we count anime?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tag Sale! is kinda meh. You get the great setup of a super scientist yard sale but the only two gadgets you see are the shrink ray (not used) and the lightsaber. The plot just kind of ends with the Monarch feeling sad for Venture because, uh, his lab isn't impressive, I guess?

Sargasso rules, however.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Red Death only arches once a year and seems to enjoy his privacy. Maybe that has something to do with it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

I was honestly surprised that (episode 2 spoilers) they went ahead with the Dr Dugong being Wide Whales brother thing because I think everyone guessed that like within a few episodes of the last season.

It was outright stated last season, its not a twist.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pete White killed Jonas permanently and its hilarious.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rusty wakes up next to a bug lady the next episode. He totally hosed a Zorak.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't know, but that is probably my favorite bit from last season.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Do we still need the tags?
I assumed wandering spider was one of the people 21 locked up in the bathroom, victim of the butt eater

He's the guy 21 kills in S6E7 and buries out in the woods.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: beaten

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Robot Hobo posted:

Actually, the JJ and Dermott things make it feel a bit more likely to me. One of the show's recurring twists is redefining who "The Venture Brothers" actually refers to. First it was obviously Hank & Dean... then they died. The season two opener's title sequence makes it clear that now "The Venture Brothers" are Rusty and JJ. After that "The Venture Brothers" are Hank, Dean, and Dermott. There's a season of existential angst where learning he's a clone makes Dean unsure if they even are "The Venture Brothers." So Rusty & Monarch being (half?) brothers would give the show's title yet another re-definition to add to that list.

The OG Blue Morpho was actually Jonas's brother, Jonas was having an affair with his wife and is the Monarch's real dad. The show is just one long "All You Zombies"-esque tale where every character is eventually revealed to be a Venture Brother in some capacity.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

And now Jonas is literally a computer.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That episode was nuts.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

luxury handset posted:

oh my god orpheus was right

Seriously, just when I thought this episode paid everything off, it paid off stuff that I had forgotten about.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No. They were going to execute him anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"My God its Full of Stars" is actually a reference to Jill St. John and Stella Stevens