Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

All the dead clones were teenagers because outright child death would be less funny and would require new model sheets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

JethroMcB posted:

In my mind whenever I hear the Bing Crosby/David Bowie version of White Christmas it simply becomes the Monarch/Dr. Girlfriend version. COME IN. COME IN. COME IN, DAVID BOWIE, NOW.

Shame they stopped doing them, it was a wonderful tradition :(

I always expect to hear Dean's little "thanks god!" when Live Aid comes on the radio.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Early season 1 could get pretty John K. I remember seeing a commercial of Brock brutalizing henchmen and honestly believing it was an ad for "The Ripping Friends".

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I've been watching through old episodes and wow, apparently Brock was still pulling faces like this as late as season 3? The art style changed a lot more gradually than I remembered.

I also forgot how much I enjoyed pre-Vatred Hatred. He's improved a lot as a supporting character but man he was an amazing throwaway.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

Why would he need their clothes it's clear they have a full closet full of them.
"You're kidding, right? That's the only outfit I've ever seen you in!"
"Well that doesn't mean I never wash it."

Re: art direction - I feel like it went the same way as a lot of long-running animated shows in terms of flattening out for the sake of consistency. Everything looks kind of stiff and we don't get the great highs of the early seasons, but it's also been a while since Orpheus' face turned into a gross neocubist nightmare.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Spanakopita's ownership status needs to become the new "Kim Question" at conventions.

It was a great episode, though. Really pretty much all of Season 5 was flawless. Although I hold a grudge against Sphinx Rising for introducing a Cobra Commander analog into the universe and almost immediately throwing a knife through his face.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I was listening to a Doc Hammer interview recently and apparently Mike Lazzo suggested they do a proper "Rust!" episode, but they shrugged it off because musical episodes are dumb.

My dreams are buried. :(

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I always just took it to be Rusty describing being raised by action heroes, using the worst possible word choices.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

A real conondrum: in the Venture Bros. universe, is the Scooby Doo gang A) a television show that characters are aware of & reference (see: Hank's wardrobe), B) a group of actual people, some of whom Action Johnny claims to have scored with, or C) a nightmarish band of serial killers that murdered Hank and Dean

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Triana tells Kim that Hank dresses "like Fred from Scooby Doo".

To say nothing of Shcooby Doo monshtah game

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

The identity of the Venture Mothers is one of those things I doubt they'll ever actually resolve, because they've built the mystery to a point where there can't really be a satisfying answer.

Like, do we even know who killed 24? Would that reveal carry any weight at this point?

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Did they ever actually give us a reason to think the Moppets did it, apart from the fact that they are little shits with a habit of ruining everything?

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Dr. Mrs The Monarch is great, but I'm hoping she picks up a new supervillain name in the new season. She's outgrown the name entirely by this point, and it would hurt The Monarch's ego even more as she continues to overtake him.

I've been hoping for Dr. The Sovereign.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Ithaqua posted:

She didn't want to drive mad. Not men.

I believe this, but find it super disappointing, because that line always seemed like a great characterization moment for someone who is both a badass take-charge super villain and weirdly invested in her own domestic-1960's-lady style.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Viva Los Muertos is easily in my top 5. Despite being the only one not written by Doc or Jackson!

"The hell's that got to do with anything?"
"HOT DOLPHIN!"
"You're an idiot!"

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Are these they?

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Is it weird that I enjoy the censored version of this show more than the DVDs? The Monarch's dialogue is somehow inherently funnier when it's sprinkled with bleeps.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Metalocalypse and Aqua Teen both had the door shut in their faces relatively recently, which makes me a little antsy.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I love how the camera and writing danced around showing Christopher Lambert like he was a historical figure in a period film. Not sure if it was an homage to a specific movie but it totally sold the style homage.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Red Death is the best new character in years. So glad he managed to make it out of this season alive.

Also as much as this episode was unsatisfying as a finale, that plastic brain-dome joke was a pretty great note to go out on.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Kinda disappointed we didn't get a Red Death shirt tbh.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Dean still having nanites in his body is the new "get their clones".

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I didn't like that either. I don't think they should reference modern movies that are well-known now but won't stand the test of time. "Release the kraken" was similarly bad in Spanakopita.

OTOH, referencing 70s movies that didn't stand the test of time is still cool.
To be fair, they probably were quoting the dated 80's version of Clash of the Titans and not the abhorrent remake (IIRC Bubo showed up at some point in that episode)

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Hating St. Cloud is almost (almost) as crazy as hating Dermott.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

This show is way too aware of/resilient against fanboy speculation to ever give us Rusty and The Monarch being brothers.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Machai posted:

I personally don't like the Doc half of Mid-Life Chrysalis and I don't care much for Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean., but Careers in Science and Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner? are my least fav mostly because of Colonel Bud Manstrong.
Yeah, Mid-life Chrysalis is probably the episode with the fewest points in its favor. Although I still might rewatch it before Careers in Science.

Are You There God? It's Me Dean though? The Monarch vs. Brock b-plot is one of the high points of season 1.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

24 was one of my favorite characters purely on the strength of his amazing line reads.

We didn't have a breakfaaast

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Can we admit now that killing 24 was a mistake & in no way worth the meandering Gary character arc that ensued

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Seriously can't believe that season 7 revealed the identity of Phantom Spaceman

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Episode 2 spoilers: has it been pointed out that Wide Wale's origin is that he was genetically fused with Damien Hirst's dumb preserved shark?

Also, given the cliffhanger, is it possible that we're going to see The Monarch's dead cyborg father confront his arch-enemy's dead cyborg father?

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I have no idea what's going to happen in episode 3 but I'm confident it will be somewhere between the extremes of "Jonas is dead again with zero follow-up" and "the disembodied head of Jonas is a regular member of the cast".

Unrelated: I'm wondering if the ghosts that Orpheus summoned have anything to do with Jonas and PROBLEM, or if they're just random spirits that happened to be nearby. I thought that the angry natives and Scamp 1 were manifestations of Jonas' all-consuming guilt at first, but the millinery fire is definitely a Col. Lloyd Venture thing, right?

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

Nah, they'll just come up with some bullshit like when 24 died. Seriously, that whole "well I say I'm a necromancer but I'm just lying" was really weak storytelling, just to skirt the fact they didn't want to bring him back

I'm not convinced that Orpheus wasn't just blowing Gary off in that episode - it's not like he had Evil Kenevil money to blow and I doubt Orpheus accepts vintage funnybooks as payment.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I hope they never get desperate enough to do a "Dermott comes to the big city to demand his slice of the inheritance!" episode, but on the other hand I love Dermott and would enjoy more Dermott content.

Maybe they'll need to visit the scorched remnants of the compound at some point and can run into him along the way.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

asecondduck posted:

Hot drat that was an episode. Monarch confirmed as Rusty’s half brother, the (mostly) complete explanation of what happened to Jonas, and the return of “SUPER run away!”

What else is left to reveal/explain at this point? They’ve knocked out the big questions, all that really remains now is who the boys mother is.

Don't forget, we still don't know who did Movie Night.

Also holy poo poo Jonas is the worst

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Waffleopolis posted:

poo poo, that makes sense. Probably over Cowboys & Indians and the slightest miscommunication makes Malcom freak out and pulls the lever.
Edit: Wait, has there been any evidence tha tRusty and/or Malcolm were on board for Movie Night?

Rusty and Malcolm were both in college together when Jonas died - I doubt they had anything to do with Movie Night or Jonas' death (apart from Rusty being directly responsible for shattering Jonas' body)

e: speaking of timeline jackassery, has the whole show really only taken place over the course of 3 years? I assumed Hank & Dean were old enough to drink at this point

WrathOfBlade fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 18, 2018

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I get the feeling Hank has developed the ability to have multiple personalities due to all the cloning.
The plot of season 9 will hinge upon Hank's literal ability to channel dead crazy people.

Malcolm XML posted:

Probably Billy too, honestly
It adds up, but it wouldn't really be an interesting twist the way JJ, Dermott and The Monarch were. Also Rose seems too chaste and god-fearing to have gotten involved with Jonas and his key party shenanigans.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

kate_jackson_meow

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I'm glad we got a funny slice-of-life episode after last week was mostly a jokeless plot dump (which was good but, y'know, not for every week)

My only gripe is that Sirena was kind of bland and underwritten, which is sad 'cause she's been a really fun character until now. Why is she taking night botany classes, anyway?

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Is it going to be located there?

Just checked the preview and yeah, you can see the Jonas statue in the establishing shot. Perfect time to bring Dermott back :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Isn't the Fraternity of Torment just like 2 old guys, a dead guy, and an also dead fake Japanese man who is easily (easily) 6'2"