Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It's the end of the season at any rate. They said in an interview that they'd not use the word 'finale', since they're very aware that the season ends abrubtly like 80% of the way through the story they wanted to tell. They're just counting on more episode orders coming through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh drat. I vaguely remembered 12 oz mouse being "not that bad" but looking at it now it's actually worse than I meant by "that bad".

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah uh, I'm not usually big into buying books-about-shows (or disc copies or memorabilia of any kind) but the absurd price of this and its reputed quality leaves me pretty drat tempted. Doesn't hurt that the creators of this show seem like they'd have a lot of genuinely interesting things to say about it.

...maybe after my next paycheck.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Dang, I didn't realize, or had forgotten, that the Problem light has been around since S1 Episode 2. I wonder how long ago they decided Jonas Sr was in there. I'd guess around the beginning of Season 6, but who knows?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

There's been a lot of discussion about the book, but I don't think anybody's mentioned the minor neat trick with the lower-right corner. Check it out.

Just another sign of this being a quality object. I'm at the point where I have to start getting rid of books to fit new ones on my shelf, but I'm glad I got this.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Robot Hobo posted:

Wouldn't that be helpful though? Monarch's biggest weakness as both a villain and a husband, the only two components of his entire life, is his constant compulsion to ruin Rusty Venture for... reasons still unknown. Possibly even unknown to Monarch himself at this point. If he wants to save his marriage and his career (and possibly his life), the only real answer is to eliminate that compulsion.

There's basically two ways to end the compulsion. Deal with it in some healthy way, or just kill Rusty Venture so that there can be no more target for the compulsion. One of those solutions is really difficult and may never really work, while the other is completely straightforward.

I don't think the Monarch would simply fall back to a mentally healthy place if Rusty died.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

fspades posted:

I expect there is going to be a twist on that and the truth will turn out to be weirder. It was a too on the nose foreshadowing for this show. And everything with Jonas involves super-science shenanigans.

And if we are full into theorizing now, something bothers me ever since a comment I read on youtube pointed it out to me: The learning beds. We know Jonas wrote the original "curriculum" for Rusty and Rusty did not bother at all to change it and merely dubbed the parts where Jonas mentioned the name of the viewer. So judging by everything we know about Rusty, it is very likely Jonas build them himself too. So why there are two of them?

Rusty has some genuine science aptitude, he's just uninspired and unable to turn it into any sort of success he'd care about. It's no problem to say he built those beds using his father's plans.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I think they cut away from Vendata with his hand on the switch just to leave their options open. This way, they can add another twist to Jonas's death if it feels right to, later. If it never comes up, then Vendata did it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh, apparently I missed a Coen brothers movie. Guess that's what I'm doing tonight.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I avoided reading the thread until I got a chance to watch the episode, and then I got sick of reading the thread because I had to click 1 - 3 times on every post.

Can we change the spoiler rule? The episode is out on Fridays. It has debuted on its primary medium of delivery to audiences, and is available to all. More importantly, if 98% of a thread's posts are spoiler-tagged for three days, then anyone who hasn't seen the episode wouldn't bother reading it anyway. It's silly.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Cacafuego posted:

To counter the few people who popped in earlier to whine about making an extra click and a wall of redacted text, I wanted to say thank you to the OP who has requested that we keep the forum rule of spoiler tags until the show airs.

It's actually like a hundred or two clicks (one or more for every post during the thread's busiest three days), and the inability to skim the thread to only focus on interesting posts. I wait until sunday to watch sometimes too, and therefore also wait to read the thread, and it's a slog this way.

Could we compromise and have spoilers for just the first day after the episode's release? There literally is nothing in the thread that isn't spoilers, so all we need is a buffer for accidental clicks, right?

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 6, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Wide Wale is obviously still in business, but the rest seem fairly retired, and there doesn't seem to be any pressure on Sheila to arch anybody.

Is Wide Wale on the council? I thought there was a plot point of him trying to get a seat.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

There've been other superscience inventions on this show that'd have crazy consequences for the world economy if you chose to think them out and write that into the show.

And yeah, why lock them away forever instead of carefully preparing the world for them, if you've got that kind of power. Not that OSI have to be 100% pure-of-heart good guys.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Maybe we should even wait for the Blu-Ray to stop using spoiler tags. Just because it's out on the internet (where most people watch it) and aired on cable (which has some weird legacy attachment to this forum's rules that will never be broken, even when we're down to the last three elderly goons who still watch shows on cable a month after the official release on streaming sites, or hyper-vision, or whatever we're using in the future), doesn't mean it's out yet, y'know? People who're waiting for the Blu-Ray release want to read this thread too!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Anybody want to count up what percent of posts since the episode aired on Friday aren't about Friday's episode or about whether we should spoiler tag things between the internet and cable release? If there's a notable amount of content that people who haven't seen the episode yet would want to come into the thread to read, then yeah spoiler tags are good and proper. Otherwise I definitely advocate the compromise of "give it a page or a day of spoiler bars for people who accidentally click on the thread".

I guess if I'm asking I should do the counting. Maybe tomorrow.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 16, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Well, if using those spoiler tags is as difficult a burden as some folks are making it out to be, how about this: instead of asking everyone else to change their behavior, just don't watch the episode until Sunday night. That way, other folks can keep looking at the thread whenever they want, you won't need to use spoiler tags because you won't be able to spoil anything (having not yet seen the episode in question), and you get to save those 19 precious keystrokes by changing your own behavior. Problem solved!

Or, you know, we can all just keep using spoiler tags until whoever is in charge changes their mind. I'm not going to be sad to see the tags go, as it is a little dumb to have to use them for two days for the reasons stated. But, I just don't see how it's such a big deal. There are only two more episodes this season. (Which brings the total to nine. Is the last one an hour or something?

It's not typing spoiler tags that's a pain, it's reading several pages of discussion covered in spoiler tags. I do wait until later in the weekend, because I'm busy.

Normally I'd scroll through quickly and skim for interesting takes, but instead I have to stop and click on each post
(sometimes multiple times) to unveil whether it's worth reading or not.

It turns this thread from a quick read into something that's not always worth the hour it takes to get through.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 17, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah exactly. Why have that bit where Sheila finds the fake utility room, if she learns about the real hideout off-camera between episodes?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I think it's so she doesn't believe Gary, and thus make it easier for Monarch to pin most of his actions as Blue Morpho on Vendata

But she finds out the truth anyway shortly afterwards and is willing to lie for him.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I just realized. Since I don't mind using the bars, it's just a problem with reading bar-covered pages taking ten times as long... surely someone on this large and storied forum has made a browser extension somewhere that will auto-display spoilered text. Or if nobody has, I might be able to figure out how to. Then on the last couple remaining weekends I can enjoy easy skimming of episode discussion, and people who want to read every fifth post without context can continue doing so.

tarlibone posted:

The thing is, for a variety of reasons, this may not be an issue next season. They might not put the episode online until the premiere time, or they might put it on the next day, or it might only be online, or it might only be on AS, or AS might not exist and it's only on Netflix. Or, hell, the spoiler tag rule itself may not even exist. Who knows.
If the episode only debuts online, then according to TV IV rules, we'll have to put spoiler bars on every post until the televised reruns a few months later.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 19, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

I never thought I would ask this sincerely but...do you need to turn on your monitor? :psyduck:

Hedrigall posted:

How does reading a bar filled page take ten times as long? Literally ten times? A minute worth of reading becomes a literal ten minute task for you??
I mean, one answer is "how are you guys this taken-aback by sloppily-wielded hyperbole, here, on Something Awful", but that starts a cycle that goes nowhere.

Another answer is "usually when I have multiple pages of unread posts, I scroll through very quickly, skimming past most posts until something catches my eye." Can't scroll past each post to judge its worthiness in 0.1 seconds if you have to stop scrolling and hover/click. "0.1 seconds" in this case is an exaggeration to emphasize my point, a silly but common rhetorical device also known as "hyperbole".

fishmech posted:

Here's a simple bit of CSS to put into Stylus or a similar extension:

Sweet! Thanks fishmech, that's perfect.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 19, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Reading spoiler tagged stuff is annoying and flow-breaking. It's okay to say that that's worth it for the sake of those who haven't seen the episode, but don't pretend it's a non-issue.

I would personally prefer no bars and occasionally being spoiled to what we have now. I don't see why you wouldn't watch the episode once it's released in any form - we all have internet access here whether or not adult swim will stream the episode to one's country. I'm happy to abide by the guidelines laid out in the thread but I'm going to continue advocating for changing then. Have spoilers ever diminished someone's enjoyment of venture bros in the first place?

Try that Stylus code fishmech posted. I've got it triggering on just this thread ("URLs starting with https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550719") and now there's no more tradeoff. (I had to remove the "li" from the first block to make it work for some reason, but it doesn't seem to have broken spoilered images so should be good.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 20, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Still, Sheila's line makes it sound like she and most of the others teleported up, which I guess means that they've been staying on the space station since before the earthside end was mailed to Venture.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It just looks extremely 90's, like "if someone threw a 90's theme party this would be sufficient to look the part" 90's. Whether that's okay or not is up to you.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I suppose I knew that after the show truly died, this thread would eventually become a continuous string of quotes and references.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

You guys are making me want to play those games again. If had them on Steam I'll be able to redownload them even though they're off the market, right?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

TK-42-1 posted:

Personally I hope they never explain it because it’s 10x funnier that way

Agreed

Alan_Shore posted:

The bear is just a joke and you're over thinking it
but overthinking things is fun

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I love this show but long strings of random contextless quotes do nothing for me. Can anyone recommend some way other than this thread (or Twitter) to make sure I catch VB news? Like is there a newsletter or something?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

So I gather that there's not like a mailing list or something. (Or maybe there is and people are withholding it because I've made myself an outsider by saying I don't personally get anything out of contextless quotes, but I don't think y'all are actually dicks like that.) Oh well! Thought I'd ask just in case. Carry on!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

So, old youtuber, Steak Bentley put out a Venture Bros. video last year (and his only video in like...four years. So, yeah. It's really good.)

I decided to rewatch it, and after the movie finale, holy poo poo, he calls the Rusty and Malcolm are clones of the same guy straight out around the 40 minute mark based on Ben's speech in the Halloween special as a throw away line, and my brain just exploded.

I remember watching this when it came out, but rewatching it was a good choice.

Knowing what's in your spoiler tags there, I really appreciate how often Steak switches to a clip of Rusty and Malcom together whenever he says a line like "for everything telling [Rusty] he's supposed to be a hero, there's just as much screaming villain, because they come from the same place, they're the same person" or "it's all about two people who come from the same place, made of the same stuff" (talking about Rusty and JJ), all way before he actually mentions the theory

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Jonas Venture, Saxton Hale and Cave Johnson would all be friends on the surface but work to undermine each other at every opportunity.