Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If I had more time, I’d write an essay examining how Venture Brothers and Homestuck are similar in terms of their love of setting up expectations and then deliberately refusing to satisfy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This has some neat takes on the advice Monarch gets from Red Death and what happened to Fat Chance.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

Something I noticed flipping through last night, in the season 7 section, there's new art of JJ. Could be just flashbacks or something, but could be telegraphing that he's not dead.

e: or maybe that's already known from these leaked episodes I'm just now learning about.

I feel like revealing that Dr. Jonas Venture is still alive would be a total hack move.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Her design is a big blank head to make sure the animators never drew it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Hah. Figured it was that though. And nothin' on the Sovereign I takes it?

At one point he really was Bowie, and they very nearly got Bowie to voice him, but then they couldn't and realized they couldn't keep justifying it as parody, so they came up with "he's just some shapeshifter who likes pretending to be Bowie."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

So, was there an explanation for why the ghost in the machine kept playing "Street Life"? (thinks, checks) Oh, wait, they were showing "Sharky's Machine" at Movie Night.

Interestingly, not everything that happened in the building can be explained by the ghost in the machine. Just being hooked into all the building's systems doesn't explain the rats infesting H.E.L.P.eR, or the ghostly hand emerging from the screen to tell Brock "you killed us all! You'll die knowing you've done this."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

ep 1

The rats could be HELPeR being controlled and collecting rats to feed to the machine. Can't really explain that hand

Oh, that's a good thought, since it seems really unlikely otherwise that the building has enough rats for that many to show up overnight.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dracula Factory posted:

Book is crazy high quality, I don't know how it's this cheap.

Fast, cheap, good. You get to pick two.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The book has some interesting stories about that. If you believe the book, it's less about the show loving to give you an anticlimax for its own sake, Homestuck-style, and more about the writers not really caring about things like ORB in and of themselves. To them, ORB was always interesting because of what it told you about the organizations of pro- and an- tagonists (namely, that they descend from the same organization, and that the good guys and bad guys are part of the same family).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Looks like the first episode is available on streaming services now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When you put it that way, it kinda seems like Rocco is basically a counterpart to Sgt Hatred, not pulling punches on how creepy and intrusive it can get with someone who doesn't make the effort to control their behaviour.

I feel like Rocco is controlling his behavior, in that he:

1) has a crush on Sirena;
2) knows that acting on it would be both wrong and would result in his horrible death;
3) is instead channeling his feelings into being overprotective, with the result that Sirena is miserable and hates him.

He's definitely trying to keep a lid on his feelings; he's just doing it in absolutely the wrong way.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't think Red Death is meant to be a "force of nature" so much as "a genuine psycho, where everybody else here is at best a really creative and enthusiastic rear end in a top hat."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hm, looking back at episode 1, Jonas' face flashes very clearly on the screen in the R&D room, but Rusty is facing the other way and doesn't see it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

If the guy on the left owns the van we saw in impound, he could be Vanotaur.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Shindragon posted:

Force of habit but yeah at this point go all out. Probably my other favorite part is Red Skulls’ ummmm when Shelia asks how much time they have til the osi agents regain consciousness

Kind of dense of them, though, because Red Death was very explicit that he was only down with the plan if he got a chance to kill somebody.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

tarlibone posted:

Did anyone else appreciate the grandiose design of the corporate offices of Dummy Corp., right down to the art deco sign font?

That desk must have been a really good place to stuff OSI's incompetent nephews until Red Death found out about it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dean's room in the VenTech building was Rocket's and is decorated accordingly, says the art book. (Hank is in Ned's room.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Fat Chance supposedly can't black hole himself, but the art book mentions that yeah, he sent all the others to safety, so Zero is the only one confirmed dead.

They wanted to have, but couldn't fit in, a scene where Fat Chance is trying to portal himself just before the explosion, and leave it ambiguous if it worked (note that originally he thought he couldn't portal on command either).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Wanting to arch Rusty isn't the Monarch's weakness; it's his passion. It's the only thing he really enjoys. If he wasn't arching Rusty, he probably wouldn't want to be a villain at all.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's also worth noting that his never-ending supply of hatred is also what made his wife fall in love with him. He has the well of infinite malice that gives them the passion to work as a duo, and she has, uh, everything else except that. Without him, she's super competent but doesn't have the drive to succeed as a solo villain.

I don't think their relationship could survive without Rusty.

(And really, Sheila probably should have seen this coming, because "when not arching Rusty the Monarch immediately moves obsessively in the direction of arching Rusty and refuses to give his attention to anything else" is pretty much how he works and she knows that, although she didn't think he had it in him to off other villains.)

EDIT: Actually, the Monarch seems to be unique among villains, now that I think about it.

You have

1) guys like Phantom Limb, for whom villainy is the path to power and influence (world dominators)
2) guys like Wide Wale and Monstroso, who are basically just regular criminals who engage in a few tropes to get access to the privileges of costumed villainy
3) guys like Red Death or the Moppets, who are just antisocial maniacs for whom villainy serves as an outlet and regulator.
4) guys like Sergeant Hatred, for whom it's just the job they happen to be good at

The Monarch is in his own category because he's really only in the business to mess with one guy, and would probably have no interest in continuing as an official bad guy if that one guy were permanently gone.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 15, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

They managed to have an episode with Bud Manstrong in it that was good.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Bud isn't a bad choice, since he clearly wasn't in the bay at the time. I don't know if the writers would build critical plot on him, though, since he's cursed.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

JJ's main advantages over Rusty as a businessman is that he's willing to make products regular people actually want (where Rusty mostly wants to impress other scientists) and he actually enjoys pleasing people and put effort into doing so.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We're also forgetting that Bud has been brainwashed/programmed, and might not consciously remember being triggered.

He wasn't actually brainwashed, though; the joke in "Guess Who's Coming To State Dinner" was that he isn't a Manchurian Candidate, he just acts weird naturally.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Robot Hobo posted:

Assuming they believe his version of the story, the Guild is going to think that Monarch just killed both their #1 most-wanted enemy, plus a top-tier arch everyone believed was dead already. At the same time. It was loud, it was flashy, and did it basically at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Also, he (re-)killed Jonas Venture Sr quite literally on his Son's doorstep. That's a solid 11 out of 10 for supervillain style. If the truth comes out about Monarch's parentage, he can also claim the elusive double-patricide, which I have to imagine is a rare achievement even among those in the business. He'd be a legend.

Phantom Limb was willing to accept a really obvious fake just to declare the matter closed, so I suspect they’ll let the Monarch take credit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's funny to think that Jonas, Sr. would probably have lived if they hadn't been so secretive about the PROBLEM light. Rusty was unable to fix it because he had no idea it was an advanced progressive life extension module and thought it was just an error light for Gargantua-1. (I've had tech support calls like that.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Phenotype posted:

What was the nerd reference that 21 busted out in the car? I couldn't catch the name.

Paul Atreides.

This season just keeps being better, and this was a Dean episode and a Hank episode? They've really both managed to turn into actual human beings this year.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

JJ definitely didn’t want an arch.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

big dyke energy posted:

Yeah, JJ didn't sign up for arching. Probably you just get assigned an arch if you're prominent/important in some way.

Given the events of this episode, we may be going into that in more detail this season — not everybody signs up for an arching. If you have an arch and don't want one, you're going to be harassed for the rest of your life and there's nothing you can do about it. The police won't help you. If you try to fight back in a way that isn't playing along with the game, the Guild will strike back with disproportionate force — "you throw a knife, we murder your children while you're sleeping."

Not everybody can give the Monarch a million dollars to go away for an evening.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It seems vaguely relevant to their general situation in that both of them really want to get out of their father's orbit/lifestyle, but they really just don't have a wide enough social circle to hang out with different people.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Moose-Alini posted:

In season 6 episode 2

Monarch: “what level am I now?”
Dr Girlfriend: “On the books, your a level 6. But that was when you had over a hundred henchmen and a flying cocoon. If I reassessed now.... maybe a 3”

I literally just watched this, why it’s so fresh in my mind.

I think the main thing is that he has to be a 10, which means "at least theoretically in the same league as Red Death."

And okay, Red Death is probably significantly scarier than any other level 10, (and he got there with no henchmen — I'm not even sure whether he uses powers or tech) but he has to come across as playing on that field.

Although honestly a lot of the villains Wide Wale was leasing Rusty out to were either lower than 10 or there's a lot of give in the ratings.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Reveal? Wait, what was the...

...oh. ...oh!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I was a little surprised to see Rusty working on this, since "I am done with all your poo poo" is his normal reaction to Guild nonsense, to the point that he isn't even afraid of them any longer, so it was nice to see that "being done with all this poo poo" was the skill that ultimately made him useful.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Given that both of them have completely different serious health problems, I wouldn't actually have a problem believing that Rusty and JJ are twins. The circumstances under which they grew up would explain their lack of resemblance.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Stool Sample posted:

He could have also been referring to Dean's residual nanobots from last season, though would they have stayed this long?

Except that he's never heard of Dean before.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

You know, given that Jonas, Sr. came up with the tradition of the pool fight, I get the impression his style of negotiation was fairly similar to Rusty's.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

She does kind of hate it when people imply that she's a man.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I admit I keep bringing surprised that she isn't Dr. Councilwoman the Monarch.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

She isn't really his partner any longer. Nothing about the Monarch's ranking test included Sheila in the count. She has her own thing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, even as early as Season Three he was all "No one escapes Phantom Limb's poo poo list!"