Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

a cock shaped fruit posted:

This could also explain the pre-season teaser stuff suggesting that Rusty was murdering guild people?

Edit: And rather than it being for JJ to wholly gently caress over Rusty, he could just be aiming to pilot Rusty long enough to get the cloning tanks up and running so he could get a new body - not knowing that they are all gone! But this is all conjecture and fan speculation, which, though fun, is almost *always* wrong when it comes to Venture.

I think JJ is just plain dead. He didn't bring much to the show, he mainly served as a foil for Rusty. In the first seasons Rusty was more confident in himself and delusional about his abilities, but since then he's sort of settled into admitting he's a hack and a fraud so we don't really need JJ to contrast against. It's better this way, JJ dies a big space hero death and saves the day, finally confirming that he's the truest son of Jonas Venture. And now Rusty gets to live in his heroic father's shadow as well as his heroic tumor-brother's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Frostwerks posted:

When did they kill Jefferson Twilight?

in The Better Man, he gets killed by not-Cthulhu and irritatingly revived by The Outrider

i know :thejoke: but still this loving show, we just kill a guy off and revive him for a gag

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Dr Orpheus prophesizes that Action Man is 2 years from a stroke in this episode. I can't remember if that happens, but he ends up in an old people's home, right?

Orpheus doesn't say Action Man dies of a stroke, and his wife (Major Tom's wife) dies at some point before Action Man goes to the home, so it's an easy retcon.

notZaar posted:

That's dumb, this show is clearly being written season by season for whatever sounds cool at the time.

Yeah. I've been watching the early seasons also, and there's like no foundation for the expanded Ventureverse in the early episodes. They play real fast and loose with canon so any theory that isn't heavily hinted at in the show itself is most likely not true.

It's not like this whole thing was intricately plotted out, established backstories can turn on a dime if it's a funny gag.

Pope Guilty posted:

For some reason I thought Otto basically avoids Colonel Gentleman and the Action Man because he thinks they're degenerates, but I don't think that's ever actually said.

I always read it as Otto, being this world's Aquaman but even lamer, is just gone and nobody cares why.

Steve Yun posted:

Sorry I need an explanation here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Ge4F4E9JE

The actor is Steve Park, the guy who voiced Mike Sorayama. Sorayama and Yanagita are very similar characters - untrustworthy liars, kind of pathetic, and obsessed with past crushes. Sorayama's crush is Leslie Cohen, Fargo was made by the Cohen Brothers.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 28, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

The flashback with Brainulo and Triple Threat only happens in the last episode of Season 5, so it's a pretty safe assumption that the guys want us to believe that.

I don't buy it. They could have just used Brainulo, an established villan, for a scene in which they introduce Triple Threat and explain Action Man's past with her. Just having a massive head in this universe isn't enough to establish paternity. This scene also establishes that Brainulo is kind of incompetent, and this show tends to not hint at sexual assault (excepting King Gorilla)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm pretty sure the Greek guys who spent their past decades relying on fleecing a rich dude did not actually sell the island, or event, to St. Cloud. It's definitely going to be spinach pies, that's just how the Venture world works.

Among other things, the island ain't called Spanakopita, it's Spanikos.

he says he sold "humble pie" because st cloud humiliated himself. st. cloud's whole motif is that he's a collector who throws huge amounts of money around blindly on items of questionable value and keeps them for his exclusive use. by buying the island, he also buys the festival, which is a valuable bit of rusty venture memorabilia. but the festival only exists because of rusty. if st. cloud bans rusty (which he can, as the islands new owner) the island loses what little value it had - it's just a rando tiny impoverished island.

georgio wasn't 'fleecing' rusty to any large degree, it's just normal off-the-beaten-track tourist hustle. i doubt rusty's broke rear end is a significant contributor to the island's economy, as desperately poor as they are. so rusty shows up once a year for a fake festival, at least letting the weird man have some jollies is something kind and entertaining. the islanders are established as being overly hospitable. it's still a lovely island though, so georgio is happy to sell and in this way gets some extremely petty revenge against the dead jonas sr. for beating him up decades ago

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 11, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cojawfee posted:

It would be super lame if they brought the Sovereign back. Though I could see it happening, someone saying "But he turned into an eagle and that eagle was shot." Then 21 says "Sometimes an eagle is just an eagle."

it would be lame but i see no reason why they would bring the soverign back. they conclusively killed 24 after not really bringing him back and he actually was a character who had funny scenes. the soverign is just a dude who filled the GCI throne and now apparently that's soverign dr. ms. the monarch

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

It also has the first appearance of Action Jonny! Who I think was still Johnny Quest at that point.

i think he always was johnny quest, they had actual race bannon in season 1

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

I just noticed there's a Sammy Davis Jr guy there, was he ever in the episode?

that's probably actual sammy davis jr., at one of jonas' swinger parties

Cojawfee posted:

He is Johnny Quest. Cartoon Network owns Johnny Quest so they are allowed to do that.

they may not have known that though, when you're doing pastiches of everyone's ip from 20th century american cartoons and comics you kind of get in a habit. but then again they did have race bannon in season 1 so i dunno if action johnny was just a nickname or some ambiguity for story's sake

also technically warner brothers owns johnny quest, and aol time warner owns both warner brothers and turner broadcast, who begat cartoon network

e: and also for some reason the groovy gang is decidedly not the scooby gang, even though they legally could be. maybe it's too far to assert that fred would threaten to road haul shaggy but johnny quest turning into a hosed up adult is the core of the show

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 4, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fellbat posted:

I think Johnny Quest himself brings up Velma and Daphne's sexual orientations on the way to the strip club.

That's a weird sentence.

Edit: with the Implication of them being real.

i'm assuming he's talking about the in-cartoon version of the scooby doo cartoon which a young johnny quest would have watched on tv since the in-cartoon reality version of daphne is patty

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 4, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Red posted:

I don't know that I found this episode funny, but I did find it to be really intriguing.

- I think it's becoming clear that Brock is actually a terrible bodyguard. He's ordered to carry a sidearm, but it's not loaded.

uhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0cGBottEW8

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Consummate Professional posted:

And uh for thread content, is pink pilgrim a reference to anything? Or just a safe outfit for gay albinos?

it's some kind of fashion thing, pilgrim is a style which i guess is often paired with pink. the reference i assume is to pete's foppish nature but being a basment dwelling virginal goon i can offer no further information

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Angular Landbury posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to what happened to make the Guild go public,at least as public as they are. The Guild being a secret that noone can prove was a plot point on an early-career Brock story, and now the group is so big and beurocratic as to almost be mundane, so now I want to see that flashback.

i'd imagine that costumed supervillany regulatory bodies come and go - the GCI is just the current market leader and probably popped up after sphinx fell apart

i mean you're much more likely to survive as an organization if you restrain and restrict the behavior of your members rather than just going all in like the pyramid wars and getting the government to completely destroy you. i think OSI largely goes after the GCI just to justify their budget, as the GCI is collectively more harmless than rogue wildcat volcano dwelling evildoes to like hold the whole world hostage or blow up the sun

during ww2 the mafia actively colluded with the government to keep nazi agents and saboteurs out of the shipyards and docks of the northeast. a evil organization who's willing to play ball and police its own members is a lot more useful than one which is bent on world domination or whatever

of course the real answer is that while writing the show they decided that an overly complicated bureaucracy with procedures and bylaws was a funny inversion of the shadowy villan organization trope

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
really the more i think about it the OSI needs the GCI. if there wasn't a nefarious costumed threat to fight what exactly is the point of the OSI, and why do they get multiple billion dollar hovercarriers? the OSI certainly wants to contain and prevent costumed evildoers from loving things up too badly but they dont want to defeat them outright because then they'd all be out of a job and couldn't beat guys up and do cool spy poo poo anymore. imagine what brock and shore leave would be doing for a living if they weren't superspies

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

deong posted:

Also, I thought Dr Z was gay. Back in Self-Medication, his 'wife' mentioned being his beard.
The sex scene with the Blue Morpho made it feel like that whole thing was just forgotten about.

it was the 70's

you had to have been there

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Snark posted:

I'm surprised there isn't comprehensive list of every single known character from the show, including unnamed costumed dudes in the background and names that are just thrown out there like Mister Energy. They've really built a massive comic universe with this show. Someone on the spectrum should get on that.

http://teamventure.org/vbwiki/Unnamed_Power_Plug_Villain

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's sort of weird that Dermot is just kind of gone now. His character got a lot of focus in the past couple of seasons, and he's Hank and Dean's half brother. I never much cared for him, but it's still kind of strange to have him missing for a whole season.

they couldn't come up with contrived reasons for everyone to pack up and move to the new venture compound. dr. orpheus is more sorely missed than dermott

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nichael posted:

What's the name of the track from this show's soundtrack that is really jaunty and goofy, and used towards the end of various episodes? I tried looking through the published soundtracks and can't find it.

are you talking about zoom zoom ZOOM zoom zoooooom, or doot doot doodily doot-doot, doot doot doodily doot

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sash! posted:

It just hit me that I've been watching VB for 40 percent of my life.

getting old is a son of a bitch isn't it

wait until the day you realize that the time between the end of ww2 and your birthday is less than the time between your birthday and today (if you're approximately 36.5 years old today). or your birthday and the moon landing (most millenials now actually, you only have to be 24.5 years old or so)

RandallODim posted:

I still remember there being an article in TV Guide about the show after either the pilot or the first episodes of season one that was just all about how it was a Johnny Quest parody.

when the show first came out, thirteen years ago, you could probably expect the average adult swim watcher to at least know what johnny quest was if they hadn't seen it for themselves. when the cartoon network was brand new in the mid 90's when i was a boy they did tons of old 60's-70's-80's cartoon reruns, including weird poo poo like wait till your father gets home and the roman holidays

the opening credits for season 1 are a direct reference including soldiers shooting a walking eye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66v6q7V26oM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0kg_tzQvf4

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 26, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

Shoreleave is amazing and I love how he's second only to Brock in badassness.

Also that between the Pyramid Wars and now, Shoreleave and Brock became friends.

they're really the same guy, except for who they want to bang

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

Hell, Col Gentleman and the Action Man are surprisingly decent babysitters.

now that they've chilled out some maybe but they gave rusty hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTHVTcdp7Ps&t=28s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjDPRaD5w5g

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

I think it's one of those things that also doesn't really matter, in the sense that it actually changes nothing.

it's funnier if they sleep in the same bed not because of any sexual or romantic reason, but because they're manchildren who spend their irregular earnings on collectible toys and gimmick robots and they are forced to cohabitate out of a combination of poverty and mutual dependence (back when they lived in a trailer in the desert, and not in venture's skyscraper)

although didn't brock pretty much scare the dickens out of pete into taking care of billy after the OSI was done with him?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
cracking myself up here imagining rusty as a super villain except, still just as completely jaded and over it all

sgt. hatred knew how to do it right, even if he was just going through the motions. giant flying tank, squadrons of hench stomping all over your yard, the works

imagine evil rusty bursting into dr. dugong's lair and, like, dismissing his henchmen's reports of victory to immediately head for the bathroom and start picking through the medicine cabinet for happy pills

rusty pointing a laser pistol at a cowering dugong's forehead while rusty regales his captive with long, angry rants about his neglectful lovely father

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
*evil rusty lowering some arch into a pit of acid*

some guy: "you'll never get away with this, dr. venture! the world will know what you did!"

evil rusty: "oh tell me about it! i tried this during my 16th birthday, do you know what my father did? took video and put it on ARPAnet! do you know how hard that was to do in the 1970's? he practically invented streaming video! i was a laughing stock across the whole internet, which was only a hundred guys back then!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TK-42-1 posted:

It’s a dive into what makes those things nostalgic and plays on that gestalt feeling rather than just going Hey! Ninja Turtles!

venture brothers is the complete inverse of ready player one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Naylenas posted:

I think the X-1 can do VTOL, although I don't have anything to back it up.

it does vtol all the time and rusty is the exact kind of rear end in a top hat to annoy his neighbors by landing a supersonic jet on the roof of his downtown tower

also it may be the x-x-1, the copy that jonas jr. built which is superior in every way

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 27, 2018