Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Bobulus posted:

Meanwhile, the episode will probably end with the reveal that the residents are running some huge scam on Doc on a yearly basis.[/spoiler]

Oh come on, they're shouting the name of a Greek spinach pastry at each other and that dude got all excited that Rusty had shown up on their little island paradise. Of course Rusty's being scammed, and if it's anything else, I will be genuinely surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

X_Toad posted:

I wonder if Brock avoided his children the previous years too? I mean, one of them is rather big, he must have been confronted with him before, right?

He's an OSI agent. If he can elude and neutralize some of the world's greatest assassins and super-villains, he can evade child support. Hell, he can get a male Sasquatch through a military checkpoint in broad daylight. :colbert:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Friends Are Evil posted:

Sneak preview for the new episode's up.

Hank's still wearing the strength suit. :allears:

Holy poo poo, right at the end there where Hunter points the gun at Hank's head :commissar: had me rolling.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo this episode. Also, gently caress Dean. Though that one comment about Hank and Batman had me laughing harder than anything else in this episode, I don't care anymore. I guess it was worth it for that and telling the Outrider to go gently caress himself?

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Yeah. Having not read any of the descriptions spoiling the next couple episodes of the season, I'm wondering if they're going to do one big tie-in with the Sergeant Haines, super soldier ("Him?") serum, and the birth of Hatred. Also, what ever happened to the hovertank? You think it would have come in handy more than once at this point?

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

X_Toad posted:

The hover-tank is somewhere on the Ventures' property, the rest of the family stashed Doc there when they 'kidnapped' him during the Zeus incident. I'm guessing it's not seeing much action because Hatred needs a crew to man it, not to mention that it probably burns a lot of fuel. According to the trailers, it will see more action in that season at some point.

Thanks for giving me an excuse to watch "Any Which Way But Zeus" again. It has some of the best banter out of the entire show, not to mention the fact that Shore Leave and 21 make the pow-wow of all the organized heroes and villains in North America pointless.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

An insane egomaniac who can kill with a touch, a practically invulnerable super scientist, and a poo poo brickhouse who used to rule a nation with an iron fist, and they're all cowed by that fuckin bear :allears:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Roll of Quarters posted:

Yea I know they turned into flies, but I thought Mol lied about them being Blackhearts. Neat that they were Blackhearts I guess?

I thought they were just so roofied by Rusty that when midnight hit, they didn't even notice. Then I remember how when Molotov ambushed Brock at SPHINX headquarters, she threatened the prostitute he was with, which made me think Molotov had been bluffing the entire time.

Also, I don't buy for a second that they don't keep track of their plot. They do such a good job of keeping continuity, even over the span of seasons that themselves span YEARS.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
The TV IV > Venture Bros Season V:spoilers spoilers spoilers

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Shindragon posted:

The Cuckoo homage had me laughing really hard, much more so because it's the same exact guy who was interviewed by the Revenge Society.

I guess tip toeing all the drat time made him a nutso. :v:

Yeah, I was worried I was the only one who recognized the native dude from the Revenge Society. Also, I really adore the fact that this whole episode basically stems from the B-plot thread of the episode where Henchman Zero kidnaps everyone. That was the best loving episode.

Also, goddamn, Myra. Aside from the occasional flashback, I never thought we'd see her again after

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PSuhYcWhmM

...because holy poo poo, that episode aired in 2006. Seriously, this episode tied up so many plot threads that I'm sure most of us thought would never be touched (like where the hovertank was the whole time). I'm just wondering though, Rusty said he convinced Myra the kids were hers for free daycare, yet in "The Invisible Hand of Fate", we see her getting taken away by O.S.I. when Hank and Dean are only babies. Hell, I think they were newborn then. Oversight? Unreliable narrator?

e: the next thread title should be The TV IV > Venture Bros Season V: Dr. Venture or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Dermott

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
gently caress it, I bought all 4 seasons on Amazon because I have no idea how long the deal is going to last.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Could someone do me a huge favor and make an avatar-compatible .gif of the scene from "The Better Man" where Jefferson asks Hank if he's ashamed of his ignorance, even a little, Al chimes in, and Hank just goes "Yeah, constantly"? (1:05 to 1:11 in the video)

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

DarkCrawler posted:

Rusty AND Hank. Clearly the Guild works on the principle of ultimogeniture.

But Hank and Dean are twins, and Hank is clearly the superior of the two. Why wasn't he Sovereign for a day? :colbert:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
How many times has the old Team Venture gotten their asses kicked by the new one? I remember Brock going into one of his (now-missed) psychotic rages in that episode when the robotics scientist never got over State University, and then Orpheus with the turning-their-weapons into snakes and telling Action Man about the stroke (though for the life of me I can't remember what episode).

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I hope tomorrow's episode answers why the Council of Thirteen exists, because they're so hilariously incompetent every time we've seen them, and only the Sovereign (who may or may not be David Bowie, gently caress you Doc and/or Jackson for calling this into question) actually seems to know what he's doing at any given moment, that it's amazing the O.S.I. or someone else hadn't managed to wipe the Guild out by the modern day (considering what happened to S.P.H.I.N.X.), where they're just engaged in a live-and-let-live agreement with each other (until Gathers apparently decides to rock the boat). Also, discovering what the Councilmen's powers are. Dragoon was super-strong, and Red Mantle could apparently use magic (though we never did see him pull that rabbit out of a hat)? Especially considering that they're probably The Big Bopper and Buddy Holly, respectively, following the theme of Klaus Nomi and Iggy Pop also being high-ranking members of the Guild?

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

bobkatt013 posted:

I loved how the Viceroy realized this earlier this season. He told Venture that working for the Monarch and Rusty was pretty much the same.

We are NOT calling 21 "The Viceroy". :colbert:

JT Jag posted:

He suuure does.

It's funny, they clearly used most of the same assets, down to the voice, for Dr. Z, but the mustache in his silhouettes is off in all his appearances.

Also, I have three hours to go before this episode airs in my time, so I guess I'm going to go sob for a bit.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
:tviv: I thought the Monarch was going to try and use an acid magnet on him or something, then WHAM. I laughed so hard I woke the whole house up. It's like the end to Season 3 all over again! Seriously, the only time Monarch or one of his minions successfully slays someone, it's completely by accident.

Also, Brock just leaving Vendata there, malfunctioning and poo poo. Cold, even for Brock. He could have at least sung him a song. :colbert:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Yeah, he can't be Major Tom. Brock left him screaming at the bottom of the Sargasso Sea. But it could have just been a whole thing referencing members of Team Venture, proving that he used to be one of Jonas's friends until he turned him into a homicidal cyborg. Man, it really sucks to be connected to Jonas Venture. Just ask Dr. Entmann and the dozens of children he left trapped underground!

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
As much as we all love Ghost Robot, I'd have loved using HELPeR as the honeypot in "Bot Seeks Bot".

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 17, 2013

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
He often speaks of the coming war between man and the brotherhood of machines. :mitt:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
So my joke theory for the finale: the Monarch, having finally crushed his arch-nemesis upon whom he's wasted decades of his life on some subconscious, borderline-psychotic hatred, realizes how empty his life is without his arch and/or how hollow his victory was as it was completely unplanned and not at his own hands (or he convinces himself it was planned all along, see: realizes how empty his life is), and decides to follow the lead from Rusty's scrapbook, and finally uncover the truth behind his parents, or at least more knowledge than the fact that he's been spending their inheritance on a giant flying cocoon and the Butter-Glider for years, and in the process, discovers Rusty has been re-living the events of "Powerless in the Face of Death" and has been on an almost 24/7 Ecstasy trip with Skye for however long the A-plot of the episode spans in TV-years.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

scary ghost dog posted:

I doubt a weird costume would give Brock pause.

Actually, Brock is a pretty huge cosplay enthusiast. See: "Love-Bheits".

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
The night is mine.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Shindragon posted:

I just love how much Hank evolved into Adam west Batman to Christian Bale Batman. It's so great.

Also, my other two shirts came in. Now I have three hank co bucks. :v:

Um, I think you mean from "Golden Age" Batman to "Post-Crisis" Batman. They are two completely different Batmen. :colbert:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

M_E_G. ADI. K posted:

Perfect St.Cloudsay, kudos. :D

That's not St. Cloud's line. :goonsay:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I think the real takeaway from this episode is that Henry Allen Venture is the best Venture bro.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, couldn't the Monarch have broken a pretty big Guild law by revealing that Dr. Mrs. the Monarch is the newest member of the Council of Thirteen?

Everyone in the Guild of Calamitous Intent with the possible exception of the Sovereign mocks Guild law on a pretty much daily basis.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Jerusalem posted:

In that episode that ends with Impossible "saving the day", we already started to see that Jr.'s perfect act really is just an act and he's actually just a desperately pathetic person futilely attempting to live up to the impossible standards of a father who never knew he even existed, trying to force his way into that life and that circle of friends/associates etc.

He's still an objectively better person than Rusty. Not that we don't love Rusty for his faults, but :colbert:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I thought it was weird the moppets were afraid of the henchmen all of a sudden, considering that they kicked all of their asses way back in Season 3.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

RandomPauI posted:

Yeah, Doc Hammer voices Billy but could you imagine Billy detailing his stools in this way?

"White! White!"

"Billy, for the last time, I don't care how big it is!"

I just finished watching "The Invisible Hand of Fate" in glorious HD.

edit: Finally getting to watch an uncensored season, I'm still undecided on whether or not bleeps and black bars are funnier than "gently caress", "poo poo", and Jonas Venture's flopping dong.

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 27, 2013

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Why is it always Dean the girls go after? He's scrawny, annoying, and won't even rub poo poo on his pee pee. :barf: Well, at least Hank lost his V-card first, even if the circumstances surrounding it were so horrible he had to erase everything but the memory of a memory of it happening.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Jeffrey posted:

There was the deformed Dean who lived in the attic. Also I think they said they had died 14 times in season 2. Did they die at all in season 3?

I don't think they've died at all after the first season. But don't forget that poor boy who got disemboweled by gorillas and then cloned in a day! It's okay though, he was doing his parents a favor (he was gonna get the cansker).

I was definitely jarred a bit by how, not two episodes later, the art assets for the kids in "The Buddy System" were being re-used for the flashback of M.U.T.H.E.R. going psycho on that orphanage field trip in "What Goes Down, Must Come Up".

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
It's mentioned as late as Season 4 (might have been late Season 3) that the current Hank and Deans are the fifteens, though god help me if I could remember the actual quote (it was something sarcastic and tongue-in-cheek) and since all the slugs are massacred by the Death's Head Panoply at the end of Season 3, I think that settles it.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Shindragon posted:

Hey, he isn't a... bad person.

That was probably my favorite part of the episode. Rusty may be an rear end in a top hat, but he ain't an evil rear end in a top hat.

"I think that's one of those 'Take Back the Night' rallies. Great place to meet women, meeeow."

Also Dermott.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Also the hair is so opposite what he's currently rocking it has to be Al. I think that's a trope, but there's no way you're gonna get me to check.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Do any of the artists ever comment on what the gently caress's happening to Brock's face over the course of the show, especially the end of season 3/season 4 going forward?

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Of course loving AV Club unironically brings up failure repeatedly. :ughh: But at least it gave Doc and Jackson the opportunity to give us another tagline to sperg over for the next five years:

The TV IV> Venture Bros: Celebrating Humanity

Guess we aren't allowed to make insane-but-just-barely-plausible theories anymore in the event that they're right, someone in the Astrobase reads it, and changes it just to gently caress with us. It's like that Hitchiker's Guide quote

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy posted:

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory, which states that this has already happened.

Also, in October I plan on phoning a friend who watched "Assisted Suicide" when it aired three years ago on the day it aired, and said it was a bad episode, and after my fourth(?) rewatch, tell him it was one of the best of the show.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Ror posted:

These two posts work brilliantly when you're reading the thread as alternating 21 and 24.

I imagine it like this.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

CaptCommy posted:

I think this link should work, let me know if it doesn't and I'll rehost it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kv9cqjp0lhx1fxr/IgnoreMe.mp3

Edit:
Becaues I was feeling helpful, here's the 5 note cold open thing someone else mentioned.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lct2pm1zn9n2w59/VentureIntro.mp3

Hey, CaptCommy, while you're being rad and providing me amazing new alert sounds, could you create a non-lovely version of Shore Leave saying "Boom, yummy!"? Because I've only been able to find the lovely variety and you seem to be really good at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

CaptCommy posted:

Which episode is that in? I should have time tonight to put something together for you (or anyone else)

He says it in his first appearance in "The Family That Slays Together, Stays Together" when he's finished putting on his ridiculous armor.