Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
At the risk of over-explaining things but who knows, someone might not know:

elentar posted:

the "CPR" on Night Dick's bike apparently stands for Crimefighting-Punishment-Revenge
About twenty years ago (after whatever the latest "NYPD shoots some dude 28 times for reaching for his wallet/sodomizes a suspect in custody with a plunger" scandal was) the police started putting CPR on the side of their vehicles:

I don't know if Night Dick is outing himself as the alter ego of a police officer or just contrasting his methods with the police's.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

hank shops at "markup and spender"
This was a reference to Marks & Spencer, a big fancy (mostly UK) department store. Having a Dad who worked in retail sourcing, it seemed like most of the fancy department stores had goofy puns about how pricey they were (Neiman Marcus/Needless Markup), and Markup/Spender is no exception. In fact, the Simpsons made the same joke a couple of years ago. This made me go back and check, but Renton had generic store bags.

Also I don't know if Monarch-Dad's character needs to be a Green Hornet joke, though that would make sense. All the screencaps conspiracy-minded people put together earlier reminded me of The Spirit as much as anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Pope Guilty posted:

The victims were Amadou Diallo and Abner Louima.
They are, and those were both horrible and actual incidents, though both happened after the institution of the CPR motto in 1996, it was already a bitter joke (the courtesy/professionalism/respect thing) by then. I probably should have actually looked up what atrocity/PR nightmare inspired Guiliani and co to institute CPR but here we are.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Most of the tropes of superheroes and their secret identities and side jobs and girlfriends and etc. were established fifteen or so years before the Comics Code (established in 1954 and containing no explicit rules about women or their roles) was even a thing. The approved roles of women in 1940s and 1950s fiction (and society!) were pretty narrowly proscribed, but at least by 1973 the Comics Code was willing to consider that the doctor might be a woman....

A doctor in that outfit who Captain America thinks is acting like a child, but still! A doctor! Who made her own werewolves!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

ultramiraculous posted:

Am I remembering wrong, or was the whole phenomena of alliteration in characters' names due to Stan Lee admittedly not being able to remember who was who?
I mean, Stan Lee leaned on that fairly heavily (Bruce Banner, Peter Parker, Reed Richards, Stephen Strange, J. Jonah Jameson) but still repeatedly referred to Hulk as "Bob Banner" (and Spider-Man as Superman) in early comics. I believe he's thrown the "can't remember names, alliteration makes them easier" thing out there in interviews, but the bulk of Lee's superhero work started in the 1960s, a couple of decades after the establishment of Lois Lane (1938), Billy Batson (1939), Blue Beetle (1939), Lex Luthor (1940), Archie Andrews (1941), etc etc etc

Lee's memory didn't originate the phenomenon, but it may have helped perpetuate it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Kloaked00 posted:

Maybe I’m being dumb, but why would Blue Morpho be Vendata?

Spoilers/speculation ahoy:

Blue Morpho was established as Monarch's dad last season, in that the Morpho Cave was in the basement of Monarch's childhood home and he recognized Morpho as his dad in some videos. There's also been a runner since season 4(?) that Monarch's parents were friendly with Jonas Sr. and Team Venture, when Monarch finds the picture of them all having a cookout together along with baby Monarch and baby Rusty.
Vendata's backstory/data dump from season five is that he's a cyborg who previously was known as Venturion, a Team Venture member who got hosed up/died and turned into a cyborg in 1976, then went 'bad' somehow while Rusty was still a kid. Guild records mentioned when Monarch-as-Morpho reappeared last season indicated that they thought Blue Morpho was killed in 1976.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 12, 2018

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I interpreted the football thing less as getting distracted from finding Sirena and more Hank being really Hank and psyching himself up to cross the frozen tundra between the Ventech building and Wide Wale's building. Making "crossing the street to check in on his girlfriend" into a big heroic touchdown run seems like something he'd do, ignoring the fact that I had no idea he was into football.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

tarlibone posted:

Obvious? Maybe. But Mary Shelley didn't do it, mainly because "Frankenstein" wasn't the name she gave to some dude named Franken who was reanimated by the book's titular mad scientist. And, I'm not sure anyone else prior to this show ever used "X-stein" to describe someone, X, who had been reanimated. I could be wrong about that, though; my knowledge of science fiction horror is pretty limited.
There was the follow-up to Blacula, Blackenstein.

Not to mention George Clinton's alter ego Dr. Funkenstein, and his Clones of Dr. Funkenstein

Neither of these are exactly what you're talking about, but both would fit in perfectly on the show.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well the most obvious team-up for Blackula and Black Dracula would require something awful to happen to Red Mantle

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069372/

"Doctors are forced to transplant the head of a dying, racist surgeon onto the body of a black death row inmate."
That was already their costume in the Halloween episode.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Fartington Butts posted:

Double post because... I'm sure this has been posted previouslly, but it's wild to me. I was gonna say Jimmy Fallon took over after saeson 4 but I guess I'm wrong. But I'm also surprised that this carried enough "umph" to have it come to this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K7eSmh28EE
This was from when Pulp reunited for the first time in ~10 years and were playing at Radio City Music Hall for a couple of their only US reunion tour dates, they were booked regardless (and played the closest thing to a stateside hit they ever had, Common People on the actual telecast) but it seemed like the band was genuinely pleased that one of their songs was used for the Venture Bros. The performance of "Like a Friend" was a web exclusive.

The song wasn't a regular part of their initial UK setlists but they played it at Radio City and acknowledged Hammer and Publick were at the show, and they played it much more frequently for the remainder of their reunion tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

mutantIke posted:

And the first game has Tycho Brahe lol
This is how I learned that the guy from Penny Arcade has the same first AND last name as the astronomer, because I was really confused about the line-up for the game for a minute there.