Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I caught up with this show a few months back and lemme tell you that (outside of some jokes early on that haven't aged well) this show is great, and so were these first two eps of season 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

The World Inferno posted:

But it opens doors later on.

you could even say it opened strange doors that we'd never close again :v:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

you know I saw someone point out something interesting: The version of Street Life that opens Sharky's Machine is infamous in that the opening slow part unique to it is left off of the album versions. So that's why Pete was able to instantly tell it wasn't on the system, needing only to cite his past as a college DJ

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

glam rock hamhock posted:

God I hope Bud Manstrong doesn't come back.

it's interesting how there's been literally only 3 episodes to involve a writer who isn't Publick or Hammer, with all three of them involving The Tick creator Ben Edlund:
Careers in Science was written by Hammer and Edlund (and was also Hammer's first episode)
Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner?'s story was written by Publick and Edlund (though the script is just Publick)
¡Viva los Muertos! was written by Edlund, and is literally the only episode written by neither Hammer nor Publick

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

tarlibone posted:

Sorry for the consecutive posts, but I don't think anyone has talked about this:

So, it looks like the in-universe time span from the first season episode "Careers in Science" and the seventh season premiere is only two years. That... I mean, that doesn't seem like a lot, does it? Of course, it's been more like 14 years in the real world, but that wouldn't work because the boys would be 30 or so. I don't know if any other animated shows take steps to show why nobody is aging in real time quite like this.

Well, there's The Simpsons, but they way they do this is by having occasional flashbacks to 10 or 20 years ago, and the setting for the flashback period is always 10 or 20 years prior to the production date. It's a neat way of handling the situation, but one that wouldn't work for VB.

I think it would have to be closer to it being 2 years in-universe between Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner? and the season 7 premier

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Dragonstoned posted:

So regarding the "PROBLEM"

Do you think it wasn't working initially because it didn't have access to any kind of food source? When it was on Gargantua it would have been a sterile environment and there wouldn't be much food about in the desert but when it got moved to NY it was finally able to start feeding and pulling nutrients out of cockroaches and rats and thats what eventually brought it back online?

there were a bunch of dead scorpions in front of it when Jonas Jr found it

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Comrade Quack posted:

I didn’t realize Kimson Albert had left.

at least he's still keeping the tradition alive on a show created by fellow former VB animation director

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

here's some inane trivia: while most seasons either have an equal balance of episodes written by Jackson and Doc, or there's one more Jackson ep than Doc ep, season 4 actually has more two more Doc eps than Jackson eps.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Bobulus posted:

Thinking about stuff from episode 2 of this new season...

What was the deal with with the Blue Morpho basement switcheroo? Did 21 tilt the candle a different way and it opened to a different room? Did the real Blue Morpho come back and do something so his secret room couldn't be found anymore? Are we supposed to think that 21 was crazy and it was always a lovely basement?

In any case, why write it this way? Why is it important to the story that DMTM not see the hideout?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Not sure what the in-universe explanation will be, but the out of universe reason would presumably to get the Monarch in the clear: with the other Blue Morpho showing up, people will assume that Monarch was merely taking advantage of the Blue Morpho situation and pretending to be him to try to spook Wide Wale out of arching Venture, while DMTM writes off Gary's confession as him being crazy or something

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I feel like Sally and the rest of the Impossible family got forgotten somewhere around when JJ goes to space to build Gargantua 2. I can't remember the episode where Monarch actually arches him (maybe I was doing something during that episode of my rewatch where they make the Voltron thing), but I feel like that's about the last time we really see them outside of the cameo at JJ's funeral.

Sally did some stuff in the Gargantua 2 special and not just at the funeral

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

luxury handset posted:

but they do have a sweet meteor hideout so probably?

The Meteor Hideout is the new Council of 13 headquarters

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Someone beat me to it, but that reminded me I wanted to do THIS:
https://i.imgur.com/b4kCTti.gifv

These are good too:

https://i.imgur.com/DjSNJmG.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/9P5JsfV.mp4

I wonder if the Shallow Gravy special was supposed to be a "pilot" of sorts for the new production studio (as World Leaders went under and Titmouse took over).

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Venture Bros is a lot better about race stuff compared to how it's been with LGBT and handicapped stuff, and a good chunk of the racial humor that is present is usually couched in terms of satirizing the racism of the types of source material that the show draws from, but yeah there's still a few legit iffy things early on.

I remember hearing that the villain of the pilot was originally gonna be a middle eastern terrorist before 9/11 happened.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

pablo gbscobar posted:

The best racist joke on the show is Col.Gentleman stating that Kano is a crackerjack pilot despite his 'racial handicap'

yeah most VB jokes with racial elements tend to be like that, where the viewer is supposed to laugh at, not with, someone saying something racist and also to be reminded of how uncomfortable the type of media VB draws from such as pulp adventures could get.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

MichiganCubbie posted:

I suppose this means it's been 2 years and 17 days since the events of season one?

It's likely over 2 years since around the events of Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner ie mid-late season 2, not since season 1

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

Hard disagree. But only because I really want a Boys Brigade flashback.

according to the art book it's actually a young General Manhowers in the boys brigade photo, not Bud

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Someone claimed the bounty on blue morpho though - I wonder who. (Jonas through an intermediary?)

Didn't they say that Venture Industries claimed the bounty?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TK-42-1 posted:

I mean Wide Wale's henchmen have powerarmor, he's got that tunneling whale tank thing, and he owns a massive skyscraper. That's definitely a step up from the monarch crew in its heyday.

the artbook mentions he doesn't own the skyscraper, he simply owns a suite there (not that I don't agree with your overall point)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Mraagvpeine posted:

Something occurred to me: there were two spider themed guys, the Brown Widow and the Wandering Spider. I wonder if they had some history.

especially since Wandering Spider is a Doctor Octopus expy

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

One thing that stood out in the artbook is how positively Jackson and Doc talked about Sirena; they like writing for her, they like her as a character, and they they think her VA is great (some of their favorite Sirena lines were actually ad-libbed). It stood out in contrast to how neutral they talked about Triana and how confused they were over Kim having so many fans.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

So i can't quite makeout what Dr Girlfriend is saying at the end what did she say PP stood for that everyone was mistaking for pee? I can't make out what she's saying

The Peril Partnership, a rival organization to the guild mentioned in Fallen Arches, with a member showing up in Every Which Way But Zeus

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

god can we loving move on from this loving conversation al-loving-ready. thank you.

My question is why is the episode called "The Inamorata Consequence" and what the gently caress does Inamorata mean anyways

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I noticed they changed the OSI Agent (the eponymous "Inamorata")'s VA: Back in Red Means Stop she was voiced by Jackson, but in Inamorata Consequence she has an actual female VA.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dermott may have found his true calling as a shithead private. I think he was introduced to give Hank someone to play off since he and Dean have become so different.

also notable in that he basically served as a Doc-voiced peer for the Jackson-voiced Hank to play off of

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

they had a "Dragoon is going senile" gag all the way back in Bot Seeks Bot, where he mixes up memories of the races some of the guild members were involved with back in the day with Wacky Races

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

One thing that might be an element to the whole rusty is a clone thing: Malcom and Rusty appear to be the same age, and Malcom appears to have been around 8-10ish when the plane crash occurred in 1976. But rusty was pretty much the same age appearance wise when the original Spankotopita kidnapping happened in 1968, a full 8 years prior.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

luxury handset posted:

time is fuzzy in this show based in 60's cartoons that releases a new season every three years

I feel it's relevant in this specific case because Sphinx Rising (where Monarch discovers the picture of him with Rusty), Spankotopita (the ep that mentions 1968) and Bot Seeks Bot (Which was when the 1976 date was first mentioned) were all in the same season

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I've noticed that this season has a weird gimmick with episode titles: Arrears in Science is an odd duck out, but the rest are "The [some sort of obscure and/or ominous sounding phrase]"

The Venture Bros. & The Curse of the Haunted Problem (okay this one also doesn't quite fit, though it fits more than Arrears in Science does)
The Rorqual Affair
The High Cost of Loathing
The Inamorata Consequence
The Bellicose Proxy
The Unicorn in Captivity
The Terminus Mandate
The Forecast Manufacturer
and presumably this holds for the season finale as well

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

tarlibone posted:

and if he's writing most of the episodes this season (I haven't been paying attention to who wrote them)

It's been an even split so far: Jackson wrote The Curse of the Haunted Problem, Arrears in Science, and The High Cost of Loathing, while Doc wrote The Rorqual Affair, The Inamorata Consequence, and The Bellicose Proxy

edit: now that I look at it, Jackson's eps are the ones which don't quite fit the "The X Y" format: I'm making a prediction that he wrote The Unicorn in Captivity, Doc wrote both The Terminus Mandate and The Forecast Manufacture, and that the finale's title doesn't quite fit the format and is Jackson written

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 7, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Plus Doc and Jackson talked about how Jackson's plans to have her pregnant in season 3 were a really bad idea, with Doc in particular disliking it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

not only do I mix up their names but I also can't tell which one's voiced by Doc and which one's voiced by Jackson (like one of them kinda inflects words similar to Dr. Girlfriend, so I figure that's the one voiced by Doc, but I can't remember which design had which voice anyways)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

asecondduck posted:

I was prepared for a million hot takes about DMTM moonlighting as a concubine for the illuminati and how garbage that is but the tag fixed that.

When I was watching the ep my initial assumption was that she was spying on them for the guild. Granted then the end tag comes along and changes everything

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

For people not liking the episode, how do you guys feel about the monarch plot? I'm guessing it's mainly the rusty plot that people are taking umbrage to.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Pope Guilty posted:

One of the silhouettes was the Mexican professor from episode one, it was already VR at that point.

most of the council of 13 silhouettes were based on preexisting character models; though of the three untweaked silhouettes (Wild Fop, Mommy Long Legs, Monseñor), for the former two they later decided that the extras whose models they used were said council members; meanwhile Monseñor's silhouette is based off of a gaucho-themed extra who showed up in the background of eps like Fallen Arches

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 15, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

the part where the hors d'oeuvres were made from orphans made me think back to the heart of a foresaken child sequence

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 16, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

also the title of the season finale has been announced
The Saphrax Protoco

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

axelblaze posted:

I'm glad they dropped the thing where the Monarch kept attributing things to butterflies that they can't do after the first episode.

I don't think they ever completely threw away the "Monarch doesn't actually know poo poo about butterflies" dynamic, it just doesn't come up often (for instance, he had no clue that Morpho was a term that related to butterflies)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

LividLiquid posted:

Wasn't it Doc or Jackson in Now Museum Now You Don't?

yeah it was Jackson

Plus in the pilot he was voiced by Jackson's brother, Peter (who also voiced the mummy brock fought and General Manhowers)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Rewatching the comic con trailer (which looking back didn't have any clips from The Unicorn in Captivity), there's only two clips in it that we haven't seen yet

The council in cultish clothes and the horned yeti thing

(edit: fixed)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TK-42-1 posted:

but i feel like since doc is doing most of the writing
while this specific ep was in fact a Doc ep, season 7's been pretty evenly split between the two writing wise. If the season finale is a Jackson ep then it would be exactly 50/50