Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We did already have the totally-not-Hardy Boys in Self-Medication who basically seem like what Hank and Dean could end up as going just a little bit more wrong; murdering their father for refusing to let them have a normal life. (and so they can enjoy the family fortune. IIRC it wasn't clear how much which priority was what)

they were a reference to the menendez brothers who did murder their parents for the family fortune so i read their character not as aged boy detectives who were driven to murder, but as murderers who also happened to be boy detectives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Unpleasant in what way? Its worldview and attitudes, or its watchability?

the venture bros has big, big problems regarding women and depictions of women. the most important female character on the show doesn't even really have a name, she's just referred to via her relationship to her male partner

they're changing this but the dr. quymn episode (itself a slur, quim is an old timey word for oval office and not worth it for the strength of the dr. quinn pun) is not just kind of dumb but portrays women very poorly. it is useful to show directly how jonas was a lovely dad because he was a swinger who neglected his son and sabotaged his son's masculinity (not just hinting at it with hallucinations about a giant umbilical cocked father) and how this crippled rusty's ability to connect with women. but in order to provide this exposition we get treated to extreme lesbian stereotype lady and dr. sensitive hippy sex object trope

i'm not saying the episode is totally garbage but yeesh it has Problems

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 12, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Her name is Sheila.

yeah but we dont learn this until season 4? meanwhile she's dr. girlfriend right off the bat and they make a joke about how her name keeps changing, dr. mrs. my wife etc.

i'm not saying she is a weak character but it is notable that she is directly used to titillate the monarch (and the audience) and her identity largely revolves around him, which is complicated in a world where Sidekick is a viable career path

like if we want to talk about how the venture brothers has problems as a show the almost total absence of female characters is at the top of that list

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 12, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

Sheila. Her name is Sheila. I think you might be missing the joke here*. The whole thing where she's referred to using names that identify her relationship to her boyfriend/husband is a comment on how the in-universe world of she inhabits deals with women in general. They kind-of lampshade this joke when she goes from "Dr. Girlfriend" to the even more preposterous "Dr. Mrs. The Monarch." She gets that ridiculous name not because the writers of the show have that little respect for her because of her gender; she gets it because in her world, regardless of a woman's abilities, that's about all the respect they get.

"haha, isn't it funny that in this world we created and have total control over women are mostly just eye candy? isn't that just very insightful social criticism"

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah I love that they're finally having her go by Sheila more often than not. And the fact that they seem to be examining the quasi-abusive/emotionally problematic relationship Monarch has with her is very promising. It definitely seemed like in season 6 (and 5 to a degree) they're specifically trying to address their own poor history with this.

they're making progress. i dont think they're raging misogynists. but part of being such Deep Nerds immersed in nerd poo poo is historically alienation from women and an overly bro culture (thinking here about when i was playing d&d in the late 80s with my other little male nerdlinger friends) and while i appreciate they are trying to change this it doesn't mean we can't criticize the way the show was done in the past

imo brocks relationship with warriana is indicative of this shift. he's getting totally topped by an extremely butch wonder woman type who isn't played as a lesbian. that's a funnier way to explore gender roles in sex as compared that to molotov cocktease who, yeah. yeesh

and how shore leave has gone from over the top camp stereotype to basically just homosexual brock

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 12, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

Her titillation of the Monarch gets a pass from me because she's his wife, and she seems to enjoy it.

i'm talking more about how we are shown the monarch and dr. mrs. the monarch's sex life multiple times, often for comedic effect, but still

"yer a bum, rock"

tarlibone posted:

Now... all of that being said, it's entirely possible that I'm giving Doc and Jackson too much credit, and that their treatment of females in the show isn't a comment on the hyper-masculine, female-free culture that Rusty grew up in, but is in fact just a side effect of their own apathy or ambivalence toward female characters in this type of show. I personally think it's the former, but I will admit, I'm biased.

it can be commentary on that universe while also being kind of one-handed

they did say they had to get rid of kim, trianna's friend because of all the creepy questions they were getting (and also because her character was a dead end). which, good for you for doing that, but also what purpose did she serve in the first place really?

i think the strongest piece of evidence in my favor is if you contrast the show then versus the show now and how they have matured, so to speak, in their depictions of race, class etc.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Phenotype posted:

I never watched Metalocalypse, can you explain this a little? From wikipedia it looks like an 47-minute special (set to music?) so... give it an hour block once in a while? Chop it into two or four pieces and put in a quick intro and outro animation where the cast is gathering to watch it on TV or something? I don't understand how this is such a gamestopper. Like maybe someone's coming in every now and then having not seen the previous episode, but like the guy above me said, that's not even close to the oddest thing you'd see on Adult Swim.

it's a death metal rock opera and there are literally dozens of people who want to watch that

the big problem with metalocalypse is that it is a show whose audience is limited mostly to metalheads who dont take themselves too seriously, which are two circles that rarely overlap

the music is legit kick rear end, extremely good but people who are into this kind of music tend to be, uh, not very good at taking a joke about how metal is just theatrical clown music for alcoholics and chronic depressives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W35dyPTh6o

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 15, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Are there any "bad" episodes of Venture Bros? This question comes up with a lot of shows. There were a few episodes that I dreaded coming up in my recent watch but actually didn't mind. I was totally intent on skipping Love Bheits because I hate Underbheit and I remembered hating the scenes where he tries to seduce Dean. But when I got around to watching it, it wasn't all that bad. I think there was one other episode, it might have been a St. Cloud centered one that I was kind of hoping would end. I just don't really like episodes about Billy or St. Cloud. I can see that they make very good arches for each other, and some great lines have come from it, but Billy is just really creepy to me.

^^ Why is Dr. Quymn always the first person that shows up in the guild catalog?

venture bros is like mst3k in that even the bad episodes are far better than the best episodes of inferior shows

the early seasons have episodes that are a bit one note or where the joke doesn't quite work. i didn't like brisbyland or past tense as much on rewatch. the show got a bit too involved in its own mythos in the mid seasons. "the sovereign is david bowie... wait, no he isn't!" kinda sucked

really though it's just that it's good the show doesn't have long stretches of being bad, it's just a bit hit or miss and there's generally way more hits than misses. i guess my general complaint is that the show isn't as tightly written and driving towards some statement or theme like bojack horseman. venture bros is more like a ramble through these two dudes own personal pop culture pastiche and you're either on board with that or not. and you have to put up with that sort of loose experimentation to end up with inspired poo poo like the legion of doom/andy warhol mashup

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

It seemed creepy and weird at the time, but I guess it's kind of funny that a modern art guy goes to arch Venture because he's supposed to and then he gets bored and leaves after his henchmen loot everything.

it makes total sense in the venture brothers universe that where organized archvillany is an actual thing that people do, there is an art collective in new york that engages in conceptual arching

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the idea was to make him feel like a product: Promoted, celebrated, then used and thrown away.

Of course, I don't think Doc got the point, since he's already been through that song and dance literally his entire life.

yeah exactly. instead of smashing into his hangar and stealing his poo poo, they're going to smash into his psyche and steal his self esteem

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

I really like that sweet spot where Hatred is an expert/authority instead of a total buffoon. When he gets a little respect, it improves things.

yeah they did the pathetic wreck divorcee vatred and the pedophile in remission vatred and i prefer now when he's just generally washed up and non-omnicompetent brock

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
god drat i cannot believe this book only cost me like twenty five bucks

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I've never bought even a single piece of tv show memorabilia before so I hope this thing is cool!

it's like a 350 page dvd commentary. there's a lot of good trivia and tidbits in here about all kinds of stuff. doc named dean after the artist roger dean, who did a ton of prog rock album covers

ahaha the ninja themed restaurant hank and sirena went to is a real actual place in new york. doc hammer and jackson publick went there for research and hated it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV_LhkME6Fo

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 2, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god page 216 explains the origin of brick frog and i will not spoil it

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

lelandjs posted:

I somehow avoided spoilers and am really glad I did.

Rewatching a certain first season episode right now and hooooooly poo poo for a show that claims that they don’t plan things in advance they‘re either full of poo poo or do a great job with retconning.

the book is pretty explicit about how they dont plan things in advance but they're real big on digging up past references to flesh out later. captain sunshine started out as just a one off reference to someone the monarch wanted to gently caress with while in jail. the common background characters "plug face guy" and "8 bit guy" still dont have proper names and might not ever

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I kind of regret watching the first one on the [as] website today because now I have to wait until the 12th to find out what happens.

haha

ahahahahaha

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

glam rock hamhock posted:

Yeah, I legit worry that they are just gonna have Dean turn out like his dad, which I really don't want.

I think they just don't like Dean as much as they like Hank. Like Dean kind of grated on them early because fan girls inexplicably loved him, so they tried to write against that while Hank is just a big goofy fun character that one of them voices.

they like them both, it's just that hank is easier to write for in general as well as in this stage of life. in the book there's a quote that stuck with me about the episode where they had tied doc to a chair to "torture" him with the teddy ruxpin doll. hank was all about hitting doc in the nuts with a sock. hank is described as the first guy to volunteer for anything, "his hand just goes right the gently caress up". he's just way more adventurous than dean, and now he's unlocking his Hero Powers with stupid costumes like the bat, or enrico matassa, or the destiny suit. so hank trying to romance sirena is just more entertaining than emo college dean, but i'm sure dean will have his day this season

this wasn't previously a problem because the boys operated as a unit and bounced off each other (mecha shiva) but now that they're growing as independent men its like you're taking one character and splitting them into two

Phenotype posted:

This is what I'm talking about. There is no way any of this happens. I don't think he'll get to have a single minute of conversation with Jonas, and I'm damned sure they're not going on an adventure together. For my money, if they refer to it at all past the third episode, it'll only be in terms of the scars it left on Rusty.

rusty spends much of the season trying to hack into his dad's frozen brain and it's a weird nightmare hellscape

he would have plenty of reasons to do this, for the sheer superscience of it, to resolve unknown questions about his childhood, or just to get the plans for new gadgets and inventions he can sell

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 6, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
they can't bring jonas back as a character, the show relies on his absence. Jonas is Dead

..except kinda not all the way dead, and imagine rusty trying to talk to the remains of his dad's psyche like orpheus in his closet dimension chats with the master. instead of for real revived flesh and blood jonas, i would prefer a glitchy rear end in a top hat cyber ghost jonas who speaks in hosed up riddles

WrathOfBlade posted:

Unrelated: I'm wondering if the ghosts that Orpheus summoned have anything to do with Jonas and PROBLEM, or if they're just random spirits that happened to be nearby. I thought that the angry natives and Scamp 1 were manifestations of Jonas' all-consuming guilt at first, but the millinery fire is definitely a Col. Lloyd Venture thing, right?

they are unrelated ghosts that were just kind of hanging around. orpheus was correct in that the venture building is haunted to poo poo, but the main cause of the freakouts going on were apparently jonas in the problem box loving with the building. you know JJ would immediately hook that sucker up, i only question if he knew what was inside of it (if he did, why put it in the lobby?)

iirc in venturelore, the ventech building is built on the location of the older venture businesses including lloyd's hat factory

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 6, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

glam rock hamhock posted:

So when they were originally on Gargantua 1, was there a given reason they never opened it up while trying to fix it? I'm genuinely asking. It's been so long since I've seen that episode

at that time, jonas wasn't in the problem box. it was just a blinking light that indicated a problem existed somewhere because jonas was that good and or arrogant at building space stations. there was no reason to open the box, the box just said there was a problem and not that it was the problem

remember that the reason the venture lore is so deep and interconnected is not because it is all expertly planned out but that doc hammer and jackson publick mine their own old offhand references to flesh them out

WrathOfBlade posted:

I'm not convinced that Orpheus wasn't just blowing Gary off in that episode - it's not like he had Evil Kenevil money to blow and I doubt Orpheus accepts vintage funnybooks as payment.

yeah orpheus has claimed at times to have resurrected celebrities like eval kenival and ronald reagan, but reagan suffered the final death because he passed orpheus a bad check

given that in the most recent episode he astral projects so he wont' be late to a meeting and also exorcises the lobby i'm guessing he could have raised 24 from the dead but chose not to and gave gary a cheap excuse

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
as long as we're going back and fleshing out one liners i expect to see the return of skye, the raver girl doc allegedly knocked up on his quest around the world

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He seems like the type to buy a bus ticket to try to bum some money off his newly-rich friends.

Keeping him around would be weird but one appearance or two could make sense.

nah, dermott totally bought a bus ticket but then he had to fight a bunch of ninjas at the bus station and after he kicked their asses he kamehameha'd so hard that his jacket puffed up and the ticket flew out of his pocket and into the storm drain where it was eaten by a crocodile. dermott beat up the crocodile but the ticket was too chewed up, so lame :(

(he's a townie who will never work up the nerve to leave his desert home)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

reignofevil posted:

Anyone who is genuinely worried about 'killing' jonas sr inside the machine probably needs to consider that Jonas was almost certainly well and truly dead when they stuffed him into the problem light in the first place. Not really any reason to be afraid that this time he'll be a corpse for good.

i just dont know why they would set it up so that we have confirmed that jonas' head (and brain!) are more or less intact unless they intend to do something with that. and "head in a jar" is a pretty big sci fi trope that they haven't touched on yet

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm just imagining rusty having a real one sided heart to heart where he is just unleashing decades of built up resentment and it keeps cutting back to jonas' drooling, unresponsive head in a baking pan full of science fluids, eyes all rolled back, tongue hanging out, not saying anything

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

revolther posted:

The Ventech building racking in the background looked a lot like a classic shoulder animation, I really don't think they're gonna have the whole building Voltron out, but I can't figure out why it was so unnatural otherwise.

i bet that bastard JJ designed his headquarters office tower to also transform into a giant robot

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

I love Pete and Billy have been taken on by Rusty, they're probably the most competent members of the organization.

definitely not but rusty doesn't have a very deep bench

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone else love how Hatred was used this episode, especially love the story he tells Hank

yeah he's exactly the kind of guy that would relish giving guided historical tours

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SeanBeansShako posted:

So have the Triad been staying the Motel we saw earlier the shows run then?

jefferson and the alchemist both have homes elsewhere, it was only orpheus that was made homeless

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

Also, they aren't attacking the guests when Brock gets there. Was this actually a point of contention?

this is because doc drugged them all with his homemade aphrodesiac (ewww) which made them relax and forget their mission, then turned them into fly mutant hybrids

drrockso20 posted:

If they aren't then it kinda leaves a massive plot hole regarding that group since they never get brought up again even though they should be kinda important

they were all turned into fly mutant hybrids then murdered by brock after doc slipped them homebrew date rape drugs

molotov explicitly tells brock that the women at the prom are her assassins, at 1:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU2juYxL8tE

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 7, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Phenotype posted:

Hah, I'm not arguing here, that picture posted last page was pretty definitive. I didn't know there was official word on it either way, I just assumed it was a bluff because of how it played out. I've never gone back and checked the prostitutes against the Blackhearts or whatever.

molotov didn't count on doc being a threat because she thought that he was just a dead weight holding brock from his true potential. there's no reason at all to think she was bluffing, her threat was directed at brock. she's playing dirty pool because she and brock are evenly matched, she knows this, so her leverage is by threatening everyone around brock that he nominally cares about. she just didn't account for doc neutralizing her elite assassin squad with creepy drugs

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Counterpoint, Molotov knows drat well if she slaughtered the Venture clan, Brock would stop at nothing to bury her. No more cat and mouse, no more second chances, just brutal death would be coming for her. That's not something she wants.

brock and molotov are shown to be equally matched, i dont think she's worried about that. she just needs to get brock to go somewhere else for a while and the best way to do that is threaten to kill the boys

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pershing posted:

What was it he called that thumb drive?

Also, forget who said it but Brock did kill something of Jonas Sr.'s...Gargantua 1. You just know Jonas is the sort who would grieve the loss of his creation a nd seek vengeance.

gargantua 1 crashed for unknown reasons at the beginning of guess who's coming to state dinner

when the venture family left gargantua 1 the urine leaking from rusty's spacesuit caused the problem light to blink again

i'm not sure how they're going to retcon the problem light being associated with physical defects in gargantua 1 (melted toy, hull breach, doc's piss) with it being related to jonas being conscious in the new light of Pro.B.L.E.M.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

Like one of Red Death’s super powers is he can just find anyone? Like multiple times he just zooms to wherever someone is with literally no explanation, he kills without remorse, and even the guild council are all afraid of him. The only people we’ve seen on that level in the show are the 3 red guys and Killinger.

the way i read red death is that he is quasi-retired from supervillainy. and we don't really have that many characters who are old and terrifyingly competent. general treister comes to mind, in this universe where people don't age so much as level up. red death is sort of the villain who's seen it all, been there and done that and has a cool story about it (a ticket stub for movie night) and the only way you end up coming out of a career in supervillainy without dying is by being both lucky and extremely, massively good at what you do. so the man is basically a legend in his time, except that now he just wants to settle down and be a family man and only occasionally scratch his murdering itch for old times sake

he did make monarch and gary completely piss themselves. "uh... sorry?"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

reignofevil posted:

It's too bad the only therapist in the venture universe is dead or else red death could be working on dealing with this.

he's got it figured out. dude just likes killing every once in a while is all

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

reignofevil posted:

Someday his daughter is going to be very disappointed that her hero turned out to be.... the villain!

the first time we see her she is kicking over another child's sandcastle at a playground. i think she'll turn out ok :unsmith:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah Sally gets spider-skull island, presumably he's there. I think professor impossible is presumed dead?

he's a member of the revenge society!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ioLebEUHhw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF5m7BO3JHY

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SeanBeansShako posted:

Is that still a thing?

i dunno if it still is since phantom limb and radical left are on the new guild council, and they're both in the season 7 trailer at the guild-OSI summit, but they do have a sweet meteor hideout so probably? impossible industries is still around and this were the front for phantom limb's thing. iirc the last on screen appearance of dr impossible was at jj's funeral, sitting next to sally

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah I mean, I know that, but most of them "died" offscreen on gargantua-2, no?

nobody really dies on this show unless the plot directly says "yeah, this dude is dead"

zero was a member of the revenge society and he died offscreen twice before we see explicitly see brock snap his neck

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

But of course he said after that, a thing to the effect of "if we actually fixed that we'd go fixing other stuff and spend 10 years just making a remastered venture bros and your next season would be out 2031" and honestly it probably would be.

hey, anything that gets season 8 out quicker is fine by me

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
click this one

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/the-venture-bros/arrears-in-science/

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ahahahahahahahaha

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Aw man. My stream went down and I had to refresh and it reset to the beginning of the episode. But good to know if anyone else sees this late.

same. i hope this is not some kind of prank stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
based on my repeated viewing of the first five minutes of this episode, here are my theories thus far,