Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Scott Bakula posted:

Actually its Jefferson Twilight. Every line is gold.

He goes where the blacktion is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sudo Echo posted:

Okay I can't figure out who the voice for the boss of the nightclub was, it sounds really familiar but I can't place it. What else is he in? He sounds like Beetlejuice or something.

Don Hell, right? Christopher McCulloch is listed in the credits as his voice.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I am Reverend posted:

Yeah, I don't get the general dislike of Spanakopita either. The Clash of the Titans dream, Team Venture vs. L. Ron Hubbard and the way it explores Doc's psyche make it a contender for my favorite episode ever.

There were lots of excellent individual bits (the Brock Juniors, Brock giving advice to Hatred, Pete White catching fire, everything else that's been mentioned), but I'm guessing people dislike it because it didn't feel like it was set in the world of super-science. At least, that's why I don't immediately think "that was a great episode". Once I start watching it, it's great, but before that it just doesn't "feel" like a great episode. :shrug:

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 25, 2013

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cloks posted:

I thought those were tongue in cheek jokes - "Headshot" because he's a sniper and it's a parody of the GI Joe job-title as name characters and "Conjectural Technologies" because the two members haven't ever really produced anything, they just have ideas that don't really go anywhere.

They're both jokes and actual good names at the same time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

notZaar posted:

The best new OSI guy was Bum Rush, just because was an actual bum with a shopping cart. I burst out laughing when they called him out in the episode.

I thought Shuttlecock was good -- an astronaut with a badminton racquet.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pick posted:

But then it would be legal and Rusty would be bad at it. He's only good at destructive and criminal science!

That was Doctor Killinger's analysis, wasn't it?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Black Bones posted:

A question that's been bugging me is why does Orpheus act surprised that Dermott can summon him? He and Al know Doc's shameful secret, their spell is the reason Hank needed the memory-wipe in the first place!

Maybe he's startled by the thought that he has to explain the history to Dermott.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JethroMcB posted:

Jackson and Doc did an enlightening walkthrough of Season 5 for the AV Club. Not as in-depth or as focused as a lot of the other AV Club showrunner chats, but they do explain why the ending felt so abrupt and the broader themes of the season. Plus there's lots of fun stuff like:

That was a fantastic article. I loved the parts where they talk about their general philosophies of writing and characters and so on, without even getting deep into the specifics of the show. It's especially nice that they're not sticking to the "show about failure" notion. I could read that for ages. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cacafuego posted:

I made some of my own VB ringtones when I upgraded to iOS7. Are there any other good ones out there?

That five-note bit they play at the end of each cold open these days would make a great ringtone. (I think it's five notes; it's "bah BAH bah BAH BAH")

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I understand that 24's death really caused 21 to grow as a character, but I really miss his voice. :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I think Rusty's whole mental situation was summed up perfectly by 21 in the season 1-4 recap.

"Doc Venture used to be one of those kid adventurers on a TV show, and it totally messed him up."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CHVLSY_Hrk

If his father hadn't dragged him into all that crazy poo poo, he might be a (relatively) normal super-scientist.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cacafuego posted:

Did everyone forget that season 5 came out on blu-ray this week?

I know it's :thejoke:, but that cover could fit right alongside the Hardy Boys books I had when I was a kid.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

revolther posted:

Honestly though, that whole montage of Brock chasing down Rusty and the scene where he drags him out of the rave, it all just spewed "show don't tell"(hurr) style insights into Rusty and is still so memorable. After a first season where the show could have easily been written off as "Oh it's a just Johnny Quest parody", it came back strong.

For me, the weird part is looking at it from after having watched the episode and realizing that Doc is running away from his life in general, not because of any grief over Hank and Dean.

(Doc Orpheus is still completely awesome, even in retrospect. :allears:)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

notZaar posted:

Edlund wrote the Scooby Doo episode so he already proved himself capable.

Ben Edlund wrote the ~12 issues of The Tick, so he already has my undying gratitude. One of the greatest comic runs ever, by anyone. :patriot:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shindragon posted:

Oh he's still a jerk. Goddamn Palemon episode basically tells you if you work for him, it's probably going to end up all ScyFy orginal feature film pretty quick. :v:

Hell, it's still weird to go back and see what he did to poor Scamp. :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If anything, I've always thought Brock was there to *keep* Rusty from becoming his father. Sort of like a really hosed up six-and-a-half-foot-tall moral compass with a really sharp point. Also, don't forget Rusty's Superego - it was basically a red-headed Jonas Sr.

Brock was there to keep an eye on the Orb. :tinfoil:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is the single engine craft discussion all over.

What's the single engine craft discussion? That sounds like it would be fun to have.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's an episode where Dermitt is bullshitting as normal claiming he can't fly the X-1 because his pilot's license is only good for a single engine craft. Someone just swore up and down that it was cessna not craft.

I love this picture.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

NeoSeeker posted:

I do remember a scene where she's trying to get her dad's attention and he knocks her out and makes her forget. He had more pressing matters. But I think this tiny scene is him wiping her memory of what happened. I just don't remember the chronology (If it happened after season 1 then it's possible). Or if she was freaking out or just trying to tell him something.

It was when she caught the Order of the Triad coming out of her bedroom after Orpheus had visited the Master. "The Better Man", I think. Although the more I think about it, the less sure I am about the specific episode. Pretty sure it was after Orpheus came out of her closet, though.

Edit: It was in "Escape to the House of Mummies Part II".

It's at about 1:16:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kXiVSYmC0g

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 3, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AFewBricksShy posted:

Despite all of the fantastic episodes that have come out since, that episode is still my favorite. It's a fantastic stand alone episode, but also introduces the pirate captain, Action Man and Kano. Plus it's probably the best Johnny Quest parody of all of the episodes as well.

It also includes one of my favorite scenes of Brockian destruction, starting when he grabs the guy's hand with his rear end, and ending when you see the top of his head as he swims away from the burning pirate ship. :black101:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Barry Foster posted:

*Theme Blares* EVERYTHING DOCTOR ORPHEUS DOES IS THE BEST PART OF THIS SHOW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kXiVSYmC0g

Although a contender for greatest thing would be the way the Monarch reacts to surprises. I think it's in the delivery.

*Orpheus sets his foot on fire* "You dick!"

*Ventronic assembles to beat up his cocoon* "What the gently caress is that thing?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXzJ0uipBDw

Edit: also "Aww, the lightning cannon sucks!"

prefect fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 4, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

null posted:

I searched twitter and found something from the panel, check out the first pic on this random guy's tumblr: http://t.co/FO56SIH3pw

It looks like Dr. Venture with a mask on, and the text could be referencing Sergeant Hatred or Brock, but who knows. I know Jackson and Doc don't like giving away plot points ahead of time which is understandable. The long wait between seasons is rough though, but at least there's that special later this year.

I love the TV screen pic. :swoon:

They should have had Doc doing his "I am completely bored with this extraordinary thing happening in front of me"/"get out of my kitchen" face.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I love listening to them talk. You can hear the characters that Doc Hammer voices in about half of the things that come out of his mouth. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JethroMcB posted:

Wow, Billy AND Hank raise their voices?! This I gots to see!

I'm guessing the entire thing is a ruse - The Monarch could easily put on a domino mask, murder other villains and pin it on Rusty. He's amoral enough and they've got the same chin.

A ruse? Brrring, brrring. Hello. Hi, it's the 1930's. Can we have our words and clothes and lovely airplane back?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
There's a Venture Brothers soundtrack album by Thirlwell, but I can't tell if the James Hank Morrison song is one of them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

deong posted:

I just wanted to remind everyone of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykEGtwJuZIs. The descriptions of the rusty venture always crack me up. Better with censorship IMO.

I love that Al knows the phone number for the Guild from memory. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Back to "Every Which Way But Zeus"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t89MPGDskn8

All of you are in peculiar underpants, while I am not, because I am special!

Everything Treister says is great, but that kills me every time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ithaqua posted:

Rusty's delivery of the line "It's an rear end in a top hat dimension anyway, what do you think about that?" kills me every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBcFQ5znYCc

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cat Terrist posted:

Also just shows what an absolute rear end in a top hat Jonas Snr actually is

I figured that was pretty well established in "What Goes Down Must Come Up", among other places.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

robot roll call posted:

-Some episodes contain full frontal nudity (DVD version only)(Dicks only)

Is this about the Venture/Killinger penis dream?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Machai posted:

Pete White, voiced by: Christopher McCulloch
Master Billy Quizboy (William Whalen), voiced by: Doc Hammer

hmmm, I think you are on to something!

Somebody pointed out (maybe Doc in a panel?) that Billy's voice is just "Doc's voice plus lisp".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Although his singing voice (in Weep, anyway, don't know about his other bands) is literally just Dr. Mrs. the Monarch.

Dr. Mrs. the Monarch and King Gorilla were so close in voice that it made me uncomfortable at times.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

twistedmentat posted:

Watching the one with Molotov from season 5, in hind sight you can tell what was going on. Its pretty obvious that she was being used as a tool to purge part of the OSI as she makes sure that Shoreleave is out of the way before killing Tank Top and the rest of the new recruits. Even when Shoreleave attacks her, she just knocks him out and runs off.

I love that they had trouble naming the OSI guys with GI Joe style pun names because they were all taken!

Shuttlecock (the astronaut with the badminton racquet) is still the greatest character ever to appear. Even better than Tank Top.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shindragon posted:

Listen up I know that I have beat on most of you the past.

I FORGIVE YOU Brock Samson I was asking for it, I love you BROCK SAMSON

Now God knows a child can take you guys one and one,

Ya know we do the best we can we try.

But as a swarm even you guys can be dangerous. WELCOME TO BIG BOY TOWN!!!

As of this moment, you are no longer butterflies!

TODAY

YOU

ARE

MUDERFLIES!!!

One decisive blow we go for the head and WATCH THE BODY DIE.

I love when Brock Samson gives his cowboy speeches.

Here he comes, boys! And I want you to give our new commander all the respect you were supposed to give 24.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Stephen Colbert may not have anyone to put words in his mouth right now, but that doesn't he has time for your rinky-dink cartoon show: Venture Bros. creator Jackson Publick has caused a minor stir on some of the geekier blogs out there (hey, like this one!) with the news that Colbert has declined to reprise his voiceover role as" Professor Impossible" in the show's upcoming season. Although he noted that he expected this to happen "for reasons which probably have something to do with him being all super-famous, super-busy, and no longer in need of a few hundred bucks here and there," Publick says that the final brush-off was the unkindest cut of all: an email he received from one of Colbert's many assistants saying, "Stephen has neither the time nor the interest in participating in your project." On his own blog, Publick responded, "Was the 'nor the interest' really necessary? I would have bought the 'time' part without question, but man…you gotta kick a guy when he's down like that? Well maybe I'm not interested in your ice cream, mister!" ...

http://www.avclub.com/article/iventure-brosi-vs-stephen-colbert-10098

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
"Dean! Have you been shooting dope into your scrotum?! You can tell me! – I’m hip!"

A. Shame on you guys for telling me about the stream -- I may never get anything done again.

B. I'd forgotten how great this episode is. Brock and Hank hanging out with the Monarch, Billy and Pete hanging out with Doc and Dean. :allears:

"Smurfs don't lay eggs!"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cacafuego posted:

Jonas Sr was a careless villain then too, forgetting a bunch of children locked up under the venture compound.

Brock I'm stuck down here with a confessed arsonist!

Right, "forgetting". :rolleye:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tarlibone posted:

Or will it be Sovereign Doctor Missus The Monarch? I'd love to see what they do with her increasingly long list of honorifics.

Better yet: THE Sovereign Doctor Missus The Monarch. Two the's.

Was "The Sovereign" a title or a name? I know Force Majeure was in charge pre-Bowie, but I don't know if he was also "The Sovereign".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sash! posted:

The Venture compound was in Colorado Springs. Although that geography never made sense.

Greendale Community College is in Colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pope Guilty posted:

White and Billy live in a trailer in the middle of a desert and are a short drive from the Venture Compound, so they're clearly not in the northeast.

http://www.desertofmaine.com/