Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

ultramiraculous posted:

Password: archer
No way. It can't be! Jesus Christ, that is...just babytown frolics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

For what it's worth, I had never heard of Patty Hearst before I looked up that episode.

I HAVE PATTY HEARST SYNDROME!

Wait, poo poo. Wrong thread, sorry.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Fellbat posted:

I know I've already established myself as an irredeemable lore hound (I swear this is the only show I'm like this about) but: When Rusty says 'no it can't be...' is that just a 'oh hey it's the monarch' or is there something more? Also enjoying how everyone seems to live like, a block form each other. Usually in the same tower. Is that a New York joke my foreign rear end isn't picking up on, or does wide whale just straight up own these peoples lives.

I figured it was either:
1. He recognized the Monarch (doubtful, he probably doesn't give a poo poo about his Arch. While Arching Dr. Venture is everything to the Monarch, Dr. Venture probably never even noticed he was being Arched).
2. He thought the Monarch with his trimmed beard looked a lot like himself, which would be a weird thing to see (and he has run into alternate universe versions of himself before).
3. He was shocked at seeing the Blue Morpho making a return.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

tarlibone posted:

(I'm also not convinced that he's dead, and I won't be until there's a body and additional confirmation.)

Problem is, we don't know ANYTHING about HOW Copy Cat works, there's no hard rules about self multiplication in real life, so unless there's something in the Art Book that provides a canon answer as to how Copy Cat works, we're all just guessing.

Can his copies make copies? Are all copies exact duplicates, or can they deviate in anyway? Are they like a hive mind, where it's different bodies, but one mind controlling them all, so there's no possibility of them deviating from the plan, and doing exactly what they're supposed to, or do copies only know what the Prime needs them to know? What happens if a copy dies, does it automatically absorb back, or are its experiences lost? Where does the mass come from for the new bodies, are they just partial bodies full of air or something? Can the "Prime" copy cat switch between others? Is here any real difference between the "Prime" and a copy? Sure we see ONE Copy Cat wobble when a Copy Copy Cat...dissolves? But could that dissolution have gone to another Copy Cat if the "Prime" was killed? So many more questions that self multiplication can bring up!

If copies can make copies, and the Prime can control what the copies know, it's possible that True Copy Cat Prime made (one or more) copy, and made it know it was a copy, but made all its copies know it as Copy Cat Prime, so they all think they're talking to the True Copy Cat Prime, but they're not, so True Copy Cat Prime is living in some bunker somewhere completely safe, never risking himself, only copies of himself that have no impact on him, or can really mentally enrich him if he can get all their knowledge and experience back at any time by having them dissolve.

Not explaining Copy Cat's power makes it insanely powerful, much like not knowing someone has cloning abilities, to the point where it becomes impossible plot armor. It's like, you THINK you killed Dr. Doom, but it turns out it was only Doom Bot. Oh, but there was a body in it, so it MUST be Doom! Oh, but Dr. Doom also has cloning so you actually killed a Clone of Dr. Doom wearing a Doom Bot! it can get a bit ludicrous, and make the character completely unlikable, bordering on Mary Sue (or Marty Stu).

I know Copy Cat isn't a major character, so explaining him too much is kinda pointless, and killing him isn't really an emotional thing, since there's always the possibility they pull out some of the above bullshit to keep him alive, and keep using him whenever they want.

I know I'm overthinking it, and unless they make Copy Cat a major player or have some other reason planned to nail something down, Doc and Jackson will probably go with the "Rule of Cool" which is perfectly acceptable to me. While I do like sometimes diving into over thinking things, unless there's some hard in-universe facts to back it up, it's just a thought experiment and doesn't mean anything. But there are a LOT of ways they can go with Copy Cat, from "he's dead" to "he can't be killed" to "let's never talk about it again" and everywhere in between. Just depends on if they ever need him in a story again.