Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Eh, he was two much of a gimmick VA for my tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gary would more.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

old dog child posted:

Jonas Sr would abandon any surviving children so this is starting to fall into place :tinfoil:

edit: Holy poo poo. Brock's last line in the YetiMummy scene: "Doc, I really gotta go. The costume shop closes in ten minutes, and I DON'T WANT TO GET CHARGED FOR ANOTHER DAY!" Coach McGuirk's delivery is great. He doesn't even say anything funny, but I can't stop laughing.

Wrong VA. Brock is Warburton.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ultramiraculous posted:

He's President of Calendars in the sky now. :smith:

I wonder what happened to Tigerrific. He's the only one of that group that we haven't seen again and might still be alive, right?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

"no matter how you cook it, still tastes like hot sargassum"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

prefect posted:

Back to "Every Which Way But Zeus"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t89MPGDskn8

All of you are in peculiar underpants, while I am not, because I am special!

Everything Treister says is great, but that kills me every time.

TIRSTAY!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

smidgeonnn posted:

Private Schwa (sp?) if I remember right, although there were other men there too.

They were merely performing a mostly nude version of Oklahoma.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BIG HEADLINE posted:

...who put the heart of an orphan into a virtual sex box.

He didn't use the whole thing!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fallen Archer is an amalgamation of Green Arrow and Hawkeye, colors of the latter and hooded costume of the former.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hey now, there were two different kinds of suits used in that episode.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

JethroMcB posted:

Three kinds.

Rusty's lucky that no one remembers the Greens.

Wooooosh.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cernunnos posted:

If a corpse got hauled out of Apple HQ under mysterious circumstances that'd warrant attention.

There's a decent chance that people are aware of the whole Superhero/Supervillian thing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I still don't have Episode 6 available on Youtube. Every one before has been up within a few hours. WTF.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Dazerbeams posted:

I think after the last episode, we can safely say Dr. Z was anything but socially awkward. Maybe he turned gay after his incident? It's been bothering him for 40 years.

"I performed every known sexual act that night. I mean everything! I don't know if he did a switcheroo or just had a super-duper costume but I made tender yet purely accidental love to the Blue Morpho."

My God man, have you no sense of decency?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The obvious answer is that no-one remembered Kano at the time because he was simply the sidekick/henchman.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's not what their permits say!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

theflyingexecutive posted:

Ghosts of the Sargasso

No matter how you cook it it still tastes like sargassum.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

You see battleaxe later all bandaged up.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mantis42 posted:

Come to think of it, Jonas Venture Sr. poorly disguising himself as a Japanese man in "Now Museum, Now You Don't" might be a reference to the same Bond movie - You Only Live Twice. Except it was even more ridiculous when Sean Connery did it.

Scaramantula posted:

As do we all, my thoroughly Japanese friend who is easily, easily six foot two.

Scaramantula also posted:

What is that, my uncharacteristically hirsuted Asian comrade?
Yeah, there is no 'might be' about it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Oh yeah, and the supernumerary third nipple is a Scaramanga reference as well.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

prefect posted:

I don't think Patty Hearst ever successfully murdered anyone.

Edit: Looks like Solanas didn't murder either, although she tried and did shoot Warhol.

Well he was a supervillian.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The reveal at the end of episode 2 is going to totally be Vendata.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still think one of the most underrated lines from this show is "You wanna end up like Gary Busey?"

"BUSEY EVERYONE"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

revolther posted:

Rusty also is scientifically incapable for the most part. He's more capable of destruction than anything else, but who isn't with the access he has. He doesn't want to prove he's a failure, so he recycles his dad's crap with a fresh coat of paint. What has he invented according to the show,?
Ooo-Ray
pleasure chamber
venturestein
walking eye
shield for gargantua 2.

I think all were started for him by his dad and JJ. Walking eye is essentially helper, and I feel like JJ mentions getting the ball rolling for him on the shield.
Pleasure chamber I guess isn't a total fuckup, but powered by orphan parts and I think his dads invention as well.

Look at this guy disrespecting the Boom Broom.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Crazy theory time:

Jonas actually did help BM have kids, but he also slipped in a little Jonas in as well, which is where Jonas Venture Jr came from.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cojawfee posted:

He thought he was having sex with Billie Jean King.

There's a lot of layers to that onion.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cojawfee posted:

Rusty's college had Pete, Underbheit, Brock, and The Monarch.

Do we know which college(s) Professor Impossible, Phantom Limb, and Sheila went to? 'State University'?

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 25, 2018

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BexGu posted:

Its a great gig. You get to sell some poo poo to bored rich person AND you prop up low level villains that will give you a cut of everything they still just in order to move up the ranks.

I love how it tied into a earlier episode talking about blundering henchmen. I bet Dr. Z was all in on making that instructional video for the Guild about "Blunders".

I think the henchman that narced on him back in the Ventronic/Vendata flashback was the same bungler from the video.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

fishmech posted:

It just feels like the "proper" nature of cloning and Rusty is that Jonas kept trying to make a successful cloning system so that he could have a backup Rsty in case anything happened, but he couldn't nail it and Rusty ended up not dying anyway.

Also, given how Jonas tended to think, he might have insisted on a forced-growth thing so that he could whip up a fresh Rusty from nothing to as old as Rusty was which wouldn't work. We see that Rusty's own solution involved preparing a vast stockpile of clones at the same time, possibly only starting once the boys were already toddlers, and so they'd be more or less correctly aged when needed.

So maybe the whole key to successful cloning work was to have the level of patience Jonas would never put up with? Not even necessarily that Rusty was himself patient about it, but rather that he was willing to walk away and do something else for a while with the experiment going, and hey he comes back and the clones seem to be developing fine!

Cloning was an improvement on the PROBLEM system. Fresh Jonas every time he gets badly hurt rather than waiting for the PROBLEM to run. Movie Night would have only been a minor setback with clones.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

tarlibone posted:

I think Sergeant Hatred is a good example of the possible downside of inventing characters in throwaway lines and jokes only to flesh them out later. He began as just a small part of a small line used to relate how used to kidnapping and torture the boys were at this point in their lives. But, later, they found an excellent use for him, and he's one of the best characters on the show now.

Had they known his character arc at the beginning--hell, had they imagined that he'd even have a character arc--they probably wouldn't have saddled him with the pedophile backstory. He'd be just as good as an antagonist who'd kidnapped but not molested the boys at one point, then later got assigned as the Venture's arch, then later became their bodyguard. There's nothing in the pedophile or Nomolestrol/gynecomastia story line that couldn't be changed to something less awful or excised altogether, and it wouldn't really affect how fun his character is now.

Didn't his first mention predate the pedophile stuff? I'm pretty sure he was mentioned in s2e2 as the source of the parts they used to get the cocoon flying again.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you didn't know and never bothered to look it up, here's the quick version: The Indianapolis was a battleship that delivered the final materials needed to drop the bombs on japan. The captain had no idea how big the bombs were and just drove straight away instead of driving in a standard anti-submarine pattern. They were easily targeted and shot by a japanese sub and sank. The crew huddled together for days and were slowly picked off by sharks. The navy took a while to find them because at the time we didn't report locations of ships at sea with regularity plus they had been on the top-secret mission.

When they were found, most of the crew was lost. The people that did live had soaked in the sea so much that their skin degloved when rescuers tried to pull them up. It completely changed us navy ship location reporting.

This was after the bombs were delivered and no one knew the heavy cruiser was torpedoed because the mission involving the nukes was a top secret one.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Colonel Gentleman is kinda morbid. Most likely because he didn't get his At At Imperial Walker.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

*twitches*

Twenty One, though he's more like Number One.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Data Graham posted:

This is all well and good but who among us could keep this poker face if it were, say, Warburton who were outed as a creep and had to leave.

Then I would end the world because nothing of it was good anymore.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

feedmyleg posted:

I also feel like a lot of the OG Team Venture kind of settled into their lives and found peace in recent years. That'd give them a bit of perspective.

Watching the stream the other night brought up the thought that Action Man has probably seen the most change out of all of them. Their early appearances in the show are really rough, but him from flashback to season seven probably has the biggest shift. Also he almost certainly wasn't lying to Rose at the end of season 5.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Think it probably makes sense then that season 5 ends with the biggest status quo change the show has seen.

Both the intended ending and the normal season ending make some pretty big changes.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

pixaal posted:

There was that secret meeting of good guys and bad guys there's a shark guy that has a beef with Brock. He says he reps the peril partnership before lunging and Brock and getting killed.

Tiger Shark, he just gets knocked out as he shows up later.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Venture Brothers: Adult Swim is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Gotta shovel out more poo poo!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rauri posted:

"Why can't I hear them?"
"Because you are sane!"

"The man is a fruit loop."
"Fruit loop as a fox!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Season Three has some absolutely fantastic elements and episodes but there is a lot of weird and terribleness in it. It's the season where they make a lot of pedophile jokes among other things.