Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

People think that the show being about failure means no character can ever succeed.

Exactly. Failure is a core theme, including how people deal with and overcome failure. Like how Rusty and Jonas Jr. have been dealing with Jonas Sr.'s failure as a father for the entire series. It doesn't mean everyone is doomed to fail all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean when you animate in Flash you don't HAVE to use tweens and the stock tools, you can also just use the interface as a way to compile and manage all of the frames of your animation, as well as different scenes etc. Although I've gotta believe there is better software for that, but it might also be a case of animators learning with Flash and then just being familiar with the software when they start doing more advanced stuff.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm actually kind of impressed that "consumerism" is one of the categories. I also like the laid back and frank conversational tone of the whole thing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ajaxify posted:

The Monarch yells out "Oh my god! They are not my mommy!" upon seeing the tape.

I thought he yelled something like "don't do that to my mommy!" and then 21 corrected him, saying they were two celebrities.

In either case, yeah I don't think either of them are Rusty or Monarch's mother. Especially with Jonas, suspecting every female he slept with as being Rusty's mother narrows it down to the triple digits at least.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I hope next season has an actual season finale that resolves even one storyline they set up for it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gatekeeper posted:

I recently watched Operation P.R.O.M. again and I realized they already made the best possible finale ever so I guess why bother trying to making another one?

Yeah Operation P.R.O.M.is legit. I wouldn't care if they had even shorter seasons if they at least had stuff wrapped up every time.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tarlibone posted:

No, she didn't.

The "Name-stein" usage is pretty obvious if you're even vaguely aware of Frakenstein. I don't see anything special being done here with the use of language, it's not like they're inventing new vernacular. It's mildly clever, somewhere in between Frankenberry and Frank N Furter.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phenotype posted:

He almost certainly would have, if the situation had come up.

Jonas wouldn't even bother waiting until he had some unfixable problem, he'd probably just do it for some strange

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I feel like somehow "does Jonas have any redeemable qualities" and "does Rusty have a complicated relationship with his father/does he love him" got tangled up together when they're really not the same question at all.

Watch basically any scene -- including from this most recent season -- where Rusty thinks his father is back or sees him in a dream or whatever and listen to the way he says "dad..? :ohdear:" and honestly try to say that he just straightforwardly hates the guy (he doesn't)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tarlibone posted:

As Doc and Jackson have said before, we're just seeing slices of these people's lives; we don't see their day-to-day lives. And in Jonas' case, we're seeing slices of slices.

I just finished a recent re-watch and this in particular struck me during the season 7 opener 3-parter. For most of the series the old Team Venture seems to pretty consistently be deferential to Jonas, but for the first time we see some digs at his character (showing them all arguing against the creation of Venturion, Col Gentelman pointing out how Jonas got bored with his new invention in a "you know Jonas" kind of way, etc).

Previously we had mostly seen these old timers through a filter of how Rusty saw them as his dad's old pals who messed with him as bad as his dad did, even though they were just these weirdos who weren't related to him. After six full seasons you continue to get even more characterization and realize these people had long standing and complex relationships.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

St Cloud is a tricky case where his deal is being a character who is thoroughly unpleasant and he succeeds too well. He works a lot better as the butt of the joke, with Level 1 antagonism being a glorified prank war, and getting his rear end kicked by Billy's mom.

My new favorite joke on my latest rewatch:

"Come in Brock, we have a level 1 threat incoming..."
"So? You want an aspirin or something?"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

pixaal posted:

There seemed to be legitimately new people that were actually kids (highschool age) talking in the venture bros 24/7 marathon stream multiple times over the last few months. I like to put that stream on as background while playing games sometimes. Then after a few hours when I'm closing it I remember there's a chat and sometimes read it because sometimes someone drops some new easter egg I'd never realized in the show before.

I don't think it's as impenetrable as you think, though most of them seem to mostly like early episodes that heavily feature Brock fighting, but didn't we also at that age?

Agreed. It's honestly not even a third as referential as something like Robot Chicken or Family Guy, it's maybe on par volume-wise with something like Rick and Morty. The references are often more esoteric of course, but the jokes aren't structured in such a way where you have to get the reference or you just miss the joke entirely. Like, I still don't know who/what "Yaz" is but I understand the joke of the one henchman having too many of their albums on his ipod or whatever.

For another key example: VB started when I was in college so basically the key demographic for watching stupid cartoons at almost midnight, and the cartoon that this show is primarily referencing with it's core "super scientist, bodyguard, naive kids" dynamic -- Jonny Quest -- ended almost 20 loving years before I was even born and I'd never seen an episode (and still haven't).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's not like kids in their teens or early 20s circa 2003 really gave anymore of a poo poo about Scooby Doo, and even if they did who the gently caress cares about Fred, the least interesting character?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Not going to bat for this person or anything, but the Variety article says nothing about Hulu exclusivity factoring into the decision to cancel or the possibility of retooling with a new name

Now, they might still be full of poo poo and the Hulu stuff could be common knowledge (or even more bullshit) but at the very least that's information that's new (at least to this thread)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I really liked the S6 arc and its conclusion in S7. The rest of S7 was more hit or miss imo.

I remember being really lukewarm on S6 since there wasn't really a proper finale, but the S7 three-part opener was such an incredible payoff that it honestly sold me on never writing VB off again. I think the rest of Season 7 was good anyway but it could be crap and that three-parter would still be near-peak VB.

Really I would be happy if they got a single season or a movie to finish things up. I don't think it's the type of series that needs every single mystery answered and I'm more than happy with all we've gotten, but I would really hate for the series to end with Hank leaving without resolving things with Dean.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I dunno, the Jonas stuff is also filtered directly through Rusty's POV. I would have agreed entirely before season 7, except that the way Team Venture talked about Jonas was drastically different and more nuanced than they are all presented getting along with Jonas in previous flashbacks.

That being said I definitely think Jonas was massively hosed up and abusive to Rusty and rightfully the key villain of the show, I just feel like there's a 10% that's been withheld from us that explains why the guy was so beloved and why his friends were so loyal despite seeing his hosed up side. This is the last show that would present someone as completely and entirely irredeemable.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Pretty much none of that success is by his own hand, though. The Monarch has talented people supporting him, which is why he's a threat.

Rusty rides coat tails really hard but he also has his own successes. Who else could have imagined using part of an orphan child to power the Joy Can? And he seems to have created zombies all on his own. The walking eye is also a weirdly cool, competent creation and his failure there seemed to be in not knowing what to do with it (which maybe implies that he didn't create it and just found it in the garage or something but I don't think that the series ever comes out and confirms that)

Yeah but the Monarch is surrounded by talented people because he actually inspires them and they genuinely love him. The people around Rusty are some combination of "they have to be there", his dad knew them, or they become protective of the boys (who are genuinely good and well liked by people) and just kind of help Rusty begrudgingly.

Also, while the Monarch's combat abilities kind of ping pong all over the place, at the very least he is almost always willing to rush into combat himself, you would 100% want Monarch over Rusty to have your back in any kind of fight (sans either of their support systems of course)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Also vaguely on topic, the works of Henry Darger have finally been scanned and put online

holy gently caress how long did that take?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

When the Sovereign first appeared it was cool and mysterious that he was Bowie and just randomly had magic powers and turned into an eagle.

When they started getting deeper into the Guild story and it was obvious they would have to do something with the leader, it made sense to retcon the Bowie thing because it would be kinda weird to make someone they were a fan of some scheming murderous rear end in a top hat.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if it's not the first time Rusty's put off reviving the boys to go off and party.

I mean, if they lost 3 years from dying and being cloned, either the process takes a few months each time or Rusty procrastinated a lot.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I think the “bad fans” thing was largely amplified by the McDonalds sauce fiasco where there were people reportedly freaking the gently caress out in public that they couldn’t get the sauce from the cartoon. After that I think there was a major sobering feeling of not wanting to be associated with the “fanatic” part of “fandom” and just wanting to enjoy the show.

Also the “you need a high IQ to understand this cartoon that does slightly more nuanced references than Family Guy” thing mentioned above was also pretty embarrassing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I don't know what you're talking about; spending millions of dollars to let a lovely fascist make an even more bloated and terrible version of a bloated and terrible movie that under-performed critically and commercially is a great business strategy.

HBO Max started out over a billion dollars in the red, if it fails it won’t be because they spent 70 million on a lovely movie, that’s a drop in the bucket.

Also what’s with the weird fascism accusation? This poo poo doesn’t seem like it belongs in the VB thread.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

killhamster posted:

I kept adult swim on constantly from its launch date until years and years later,

Yea adult swim launched a month into my freshman year of college so of course it became a staple around the dorms/apartments in those years

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Let's all smoking!

Do you smoke cigarettes or eat them?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Harley Quinn got a lot of comparisons to VB probably just cause of the long gaps between seasons and people being hungry for content. It’s not really that similar but it’s good in its own way. Humor is closer to something like Deadpool tho.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Venture Bros. puppets would get into a debate on whether they were puppets or marionettes while also arguing whether there was a difference or not.

I just heard this argument in my head between puppets Pete White and Billy Quizboy

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Splint Chesthair posted:

Strange is just Magic Iron Man in the MCU, which would be okay except a lot of MCU characters are just different shades of Robert Downey Jr.

Comic book Strange would be all, “This augurs ill - I fear the very fabric of the universe may be torn asunder!”

Movie Strange be all, “Well this is turning out to be a crappy weekend.”

This isn't even just an MCU problem anymore, Disney seemingly mandated all characters be between 25% and 80% Tony Stark. See for example Poe Dameron making a prank call on a star destroyer.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Speleothing posted:

So, the movie is still in production, right?

They apparently didn’t make significant progress within 2 years after the last season before the cancellation, Id guess the best hope is that they flew under the radar of the recent animation cancellation by being so radio silent, and will have something ready in 2025-ish that WB decides is not worth a tax break and quietly releases to whatever streaming service they still have on like a random Wednesday

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Everyone. Buy like 12 copies of the movie when it comes out. Maybe we can have a repeat of this.

https://www.ign.com/articles/aqua-teen-hunger-force-returning-to-adult-swim-after-8-years

I feel like the difference is ATHF can be churned out at near South Park level speeds. Venture Bros will be renewed for a revival season then quietly cancelled 3 years later after no major progress

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, given that most of the episodes are like ~20-25 minutes, an hour and a half would be a mini-season unto itself.

Hopefully they went with the Zack Snyder's Justice League plan and it's a 4 hour movie with "chapters" every 20 minutes or so (in other words just a regular season compiled into a movie lol)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So in general movie making is vaguely know what condition a screening like this would put the movie in (no music, unfinished effects, maybe even some storyboard shots for big sequences) but I admit I have no idea what this would mean for an animated movie. Does this mean it’s largely finished or is this mostly gonna be storyboards/animatics with the full voice over, and the bulk of the and animation is still in process?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

That tweet said "finished" soooooo

Lol oh drat yea fair

!!!!!!!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

The ironic part of that whole episode is that level of full immersion, full sensory VR tech the OSI had would be just as disruptive to society as Rusty's telepads.

It’s actually not ironic it’s brilliantly consistent. The OSI doesn’t care about the tech existing, because otherwise they would be spending a lot more effort getting the pads back from the Guild (hell they had the perfect opportunity when they were teleporting guys in to fight Brock). The thing they actually care about is whether it makes it’s way into the consumer market and completely changes society. They basically want all the most world changing sci fi toys to be locked up in these stupid battles between super villains and mad scientist and whoever, while the status quo of every day life remains mostly the same*.

* (and yeah granted they probably would have also kept a lid on poo poo like the internet and smart phones as well, but it’s a perfectly comic booky explanation why the world is mostly our world with super stuff kind of on the fringe edges)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I’m genuinely baffled because this reveal follows the exact same pattern as every previous shirt club: maybe one or two very desirable, a few more wearable in public without any self consciousness, a few that are just weird and maybe one that is super questionable to the point you don’t even want to wear it in public

Like you’re not going to tell me “follow that bikini” is worse than the Dr. Mrs. The Monarch centerfold one from 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

They mentioned in the commentary that hank's voyage across the country was going to be a season long arc culminating in an episode that reveals Enrique, Guyovich, The Bat, etc. are literally the souls of dead Hanks haunting him.

I actually don't really like this idea at all and am kind of glad it got scrapped: one of the things I really love about Hank is how self-confident and imaginative he is. The idea that he creates these alter-egos for himself and they get filed away for later recall is cool, conversely the idea that e.g. Russian Guyovich wasn't a clever thing he came up with on the spot when he sported a fake goatee but rather the (Russian???) personality of a former clone is...kind of weird nonsense?

And sure yeah it is a dynamite call-back to "it's like he channels dead crazy people", but I still have issues. Like okay, maybe a former Hank found a cache of Rusty's old detective serials and fell in love with them and that's how current Hank came up with the P.I. alter-ego, but shouldn't Brock's "I never see you read!" line also apply to former clone Hanks? In fact each previous Hank would still need to get those ideas from somewhere so it still becomes a chicken and egg thing even if he is channeling those Hanks. Also the souls of dead Hanks have an age cutoff of like 15 (and presumably often younger) so it's not like the raw sexuality of Enrico Matassa should be applied to anything but a currently 17+ Hank.

Basically I like that Hank dresses up as The Bat because he is a Batman fan, he creates Enrico because he needs a supervillain alter-ego, he came up with Russian Guyovitch to fool Brock into letting him fight with the Monarch's army. Keeping these alter-egos around and pulling them out when needed is cool flavor for the character, giving them some sci-fi "origin" doesn't really add anything.

All this being said, I trust Jackson and Doc implicitly so what I am imagining is probably not nearly as detailed and creative as what they would have executed, so probably my above complaints are for a shittier version than what we realistically would have gotten.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sash! posted:

You just know that Hank worked up a whole character/alter ego for Russian Guyovich. One completely informed by movies that led him to think "Russian bad guy = vaguely Eastern European mobster in a track suit." This is what Hank thinks a Russian guy is https://youtu.be/l1JyX4KFjoA?si=Az1UAKNS8LeZPRCz

OH yeah absolutely, I just prefer if that level of detail is just a general Hank thing, and not specific to some dead Hank that turned that into his entire personality at some previous point

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I love the sad resignation in Orpheus’s voice when he says “a stroke…” in the latter half of the clip.

Sanschel posted:

It’s still a bit unknown even with that prediction, as there’s cultural references made in the last few seasons that wouldn’t have existed two years after the first season. I like the idea that Action Man took Orpheus’ words to heart and changed his lifestyle and habits which pushed the date of the stroke out a few years, letting the timeline slide as needed

The thing is taking into account cultural references the boys should be in their mid-30s, the show has always existed with comic book “world outside your window” logic where Peter Parker and Bruce Wayne are still young men despite some of their major cultural touchstone stories existing back in the days of rotary phones and no internet.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

yeah it's been said before how various season finales felt like they could have been series finales, and that's cause I don't think VB is the type of show where they are going to absolutely definitively end things to the point of like, flash forwarding to show Hank and Dean grown up and married with Rusty retired or whatever. it was always going to be like a "there's more adventures to be had but we've seen this slice of their lives and we know they are going to turn out okay in the end" style ending

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

As painful as it is hearing about these things and knowing we missed out, it’s troubling that 2 full years after season 7 ended they weren’t even halfway done writing the follow-up season (or I guess a little over half done if it was 8 eps instead of 10). Previously we hadn’t gone much longer than 2 years without at least a special. It seems they just started to gradually slow down over the years and it makes me think that this was eventually going to slowly burn out after too much longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh poo poo I didn’t even know that at all!