Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Action Tortoise posted:

I like it when they show Brock being a badass even if he barely lifts a finger. Like how he carjacks Myra or when he effortly tosses a knife in the middle of the woods and manages to wound something. Hell, the way he broke free from the pirate ghosts in season one.

I like it when he decapitates someone using a shark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

That always makes me laugh. "I'm trapped in a sewer with a confessed arsonist!"

I wonder how many people don't get that joke because they didn't watch enough MTV in the 90s.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

theflyingexecutive posted:

"You know what he called me when he stormed out today? A honkey!

I love the Monarch's reaction:
*snickers* "Did you really?"

That entire scene is great.
"...or your boys will follow the rainbow bridge to Valhalla! ... that's not as dark as it sounds in my head, is it?"

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 14, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

JetsGuy posted:

That episode would have been fine if they dialed Ginnie down about ten notches.

Just like they should dial Brock down about ten notches?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

JetsGuy posted:

You know, I knew as soon as I posted that that someone was gonna get butthurt about it and take it completely the wrong way.

I'm not butthurt, I just took the character to be an intentionally over-the-top parallel to Brock.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Do we know who the black guy on the left throwing the football to Action Man/Colonel Gentleman is?

Swifty?

[edit] Wow, I'm late to the party. Not very swifty of me at all.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Dazerbeams posted:

The lines on the guy's face makes me think Scaramantula.

Have you ever seen a mustache before?

[edit]
or cheekbones?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Dynamite Dog posted:

What part of that suit is androgynous?

The breasts. Look at Sgt. Hatred!

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

suddenlyissoon posted:

It was quite uncomfortable as an employee came in to my office as I was watching the latest episode and had to hear "do you want me to go get the lotion or do you want to just use blood and clown makeup as lube".

Then don't watch cartoons that use potentially inappropriate language at work?

[edit]
Unless your job title is "cartoons that use potentially inappropriate language-watcher" of course

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

axleblaze posted:

I think at this point The Monarch is probably my favorite character, though it's close between him and Doc himself. They have alot in common really, it's just the Monarch has actual passion and has done less awful things.

The Monarch is the best.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Slamhound posted:

One of my favorite thing about this show is how the names of characters and organizations, especially the marginal ones, are legitimately awesome. "Conjectural Technologies" is a great business title. "Headshot" is a great character name. There's nothing tongue-in-cheek about any of it.

Crime-o-dile and the Intangible Fancy are great names, too.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hbomberguy posted:

I saw season two with the bleeping and season three without it. I think I prefer it without bleeping, purely because I love the idea the story is progressing further and further away from the old-style adventure shows it's paying homage to.

I'm sorry, the "rusty venture" conversation is a million times funnier with a ton of bleeps.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

I only now realize now how well Action Johnny and Master Billy Quizboy fit for a couple of those characters.

Jon Snow and Sam Tarly.

What? That makes no sense.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

LashLightning posted:

But he, himself, would die. Sure, a clone with his memories upto a few days or weeks (maybe months depending on how long the "mission" that took his life was) would be alive, but not the Rusty Venture he knows. It'll be some other Rusty Venture.

Whenever a discussion of cloning comes up, it always reminds me of this old cartoon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdxucpPq6Lc

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I met her on the Livejournal! I have been blogging!

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Install Windows posted:

When the episode aired it was already dated - it shows how far behind compared to the normal world the Monarch is.

The trendy thing at the time was MySpace, after all.

I just like that he calls it "the" Livejournal. Just like Dr. Girlfriend saw a thing on "the" VH1 that said that the guy from Depeche Mode is straight.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
For some reason, I still frequently say "You live by the ghost, you die by the ghost." and "You didn't play by the rules! The GHOST PIRATE rules!"

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Frostwerks posted:

I don't get like half those references. Like I literally don't remember them from VB.

I just never see how the references apply to the pictures. It's like someone is just taking arbitrary VB quotes and pasting them onto arbitrary screencaps of scenes from Game of Thrones.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I'm in the US, but pretty sure neither of those scenes were in when I watched. Hell, at this point I'm starting to doubt myself.

I recently rewatched the entirety of Venture Brothers and both of those scenes were definitely, 100% guaranteed present on Netflix.

I went and confirmed it after reading this thread, even. Both "cut" moments happen within the first two minutes.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 17, 2014

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I hated the pilot when it premiered. I saw what they were going for, but I just didn't think it was funny.

I forget when I turned around on it, but I think it was after I caught a random episode from the second season.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

OmegaBR posted:

Completely forgot about Fat Chance and his hole of mystery, and the fact that Rusty gets pushed into it, only to have a more successful Rusty toss him back in his own dimension.

Makes me think he, or a similarly alternate Rusty, might be the one from the season 6 teaser?

Rusty's delivery of the line "It's an rear end in a top hat dimension anyway, what do you think about that?" kills me every time.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Helena Handbasket posted:

Finally finishing up my re-watch of Season Five. Is Vendata the Monarch's dad? Am I way off or did everybody else already figure this out? Venturion was created in 1976 so the timeline makes sense. I didn't think of it until this shot from Bot Meets Bot, though. He looks like the Monarch to me when his mask is knocked off.

Yes, it's pretty obvious. He also says something like "I think the plane is going down" while malfunctioning, and the Monarch said in season 1 or 2 that his parents died when the plane they were in crashed in the pine barrens.

You can also see the monarch's parents hanging out with Jonas Venture boat in the Spanikopita!!! episode.

I think it's going to turn out that the Monarch hates Rusty because Rusty was a dick when they played together when they were kids. It would fit the show so well; this insane, all-consuming life-long hatred over something totally inconsequential.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 28, 2014

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

Vendata was made by Venture Industries too, so maybe Jonas rebuilt the guy after the crash?

Exactly. We haven't gotten any clues for why Vendata tried to strangle Rusty. Maybe hating him just runs in the family.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
See, I have the opposite problem:

I want them. My girlfriend wants them. We have a king size bed. :(

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Frostwerks posted:

What's the shirt look like?

It looks like this.

The correct answer to any questions about the shirt is "i loving love spanakopita"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Havoc904 posted:

He wouldn't really have any reason to go after the new Guild with the current stories. Sure, the Monarch might have destroyed the Venture compound, but he wouldn't give a poo poo after getting that inheritance. The compound was always just a massive reminder of everything his dad did that was now horribly outdated but was still a monument to all of his lack of success in comparison.

Of course that could all change if something the Guild does causes Rusty to lose his new fortune within the first episode. But as of right now, my guess for Rusty donning a mask and killing Guild members will either be a clone/alternate Rusty or have something to do with Jonas Jr controlling his sub conscious while he is asleep.

I'm just excited to see more New York stuff with Spiderman and all of the other possibilities. Plus, with Rusty having money, hopefully we get a full army of Robo-Bos.

I'll miss the Arachnid Research Wing. There were possibilities there. Awful, awful possibilities.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

I'm fine with that. If it takes two years between seasons but it remains insanely amazing, then that's the price of it. I do not want the formula hosed with. Adult Swim is great in that this sort of arrangement totally works for them. They are like the most laid back network ever.

Yeah, a new season of Venture Brothers is a major, exciting thing. New episodes come out just often enough so that you think "Oh, poo poo, that's awesome!". If they came out with 15 or 20 episodes every year, the quality would probably not be as high and it wouldn't be exciting, it would be status quo.

I think Doc Hammer said roughly the same thing at a comicon panel once.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Kesper North posted:

Yeah, but to goth chicks he looks like Brad Pitt.

Spot on. My gothiest friend describes him as "the hottest man alive". She even dyed her hair to have a white streak, just like his. It's weird.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's probably going to be at least one episode involving exploring one of the many underground components of the old venture compound, most likely one that wasn't touched on before.

Brock, I'm down here with a confessed arsonist!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq31ieJEX3U

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Bobulus posted:

The commentary for that episode had them talking about how hard it is to make up punny G.I. Joe -style names, because so many of them are already used.

The ones they came up with are awesome, though -- Bum Rush and ShuttleCock kill me.

Side note: Brandon Sanderson had a similar comment when he was writing his superhero-themed Reckoners books -- his superpeople have really dumb names because almost everything he came up with was already under copyright by Marvel or DC.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Omnomnomnivore posted:

There's definitely a "Jackson's original vision" of the show visible in the pilot and first few S1 episodes where Brock's a psycho and Doc's even more of an ethical monster. Also Underbheit is the arch-enemy (the Doom to Doc's Richards), the Monarch isn't a recurring character, and their Dr. Strange pastiche was supposed to be in a single episode and not move in next door. That all got scrambled once Doc Hammer got involved and they wrote a few scripts.

I don't think that's really the case, Doc Hammer was writing scripts from the beginning and the Monarch shows up a lot in the early episodes -- especially if you go by production codes instead of the order the episodes aired in.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Here's how you get the best of both worlds:
Someone mentions that a particular episode was awesome.

Rusty then explains what really happened during that episode in flashback form, with the "real" version being intercut with the cartoon version. There's lots of room for good gags there.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

I think they referred to it as a cartoon several times in the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crBegkYO0Uc&t=848s

Or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXr0qmA9U0M&t=78s

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

Hell, she's so old-fashioned that when she and he Venture bros needed to steal Brock's car to go chase after the Monarch (when they were broken up) she told Hank to drive because she refused to drive men.

She didn't want to drive mad. Not men.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

WrathOfBlade posted:

I believe this, but find it super disappointing, because that line always seemed like a great characterization moment for someone who is both a badass take-charge super villain and weirdly invested in her own domestic-1960's-lady style.

I just checked on netflix and the subtitles said "men", but I clearly hear "mad". Who knows. There are scenes later on in the series with her driving the Monarch and the henchmen around, but that doesn't mean anything.

I've also never heard of "not driving men" being a thing, but I've heard numerous times throughout my life that you should never drive mad. So that could be a contributing factor if I'm mishearing.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 28, 2015

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
When in US history has "not driving men" been a cultural thing? I'm not being snarky, I'm being serious. I have never heard of that before and it makes no sense.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, it sets the early mood for every single character. About the only thing it doesn't cover is 'why's that chick's voice so loving deep?'

It covers that, slightly -- Billy and Pete White discuss Dr. Girlfriend and talk about her "baboon uterus"

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

As far as good quotes go, from the Lepidopterists when the ghost pirate guy runs into the room with a tourniquet on his arm yelling "I'm not supposed to be in here!" so they shoot a tranq dart into his arm. loving glorious. Also when they are Venture-tron and that he is the arm so when they swing the sword it forces a shitload of Gs on him.

A good episode.

"I've got the dart monkey on me back!"

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Atarian posted:

Sergeant Hatred: Should I ready the extinguishers?

Gary: Please. He only uses fire and lasers at night. I've got my money on acid or a magnet kind of thing.

The Monarch: READY THE ACID MAGNET!

JETTISON THE LUNCH ROOM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's a great episode, get on that. Bonus points if you can identify the people they are parodying (not the scooby doo characters).

e: "¡Viva los Muertos!" is the episode name

Val is pretty obscure but the rest are pretty recognizable.