Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

SRM posted:

Remember the iPod ad with Jonas on it? I'm thinking that JJ basically owns Apple. That and the Jpads in the previous episode had Venture Industries logos on them.

but Jonas innovates things and therefore cannot be owner of Apple. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
You know I rewatched that episode where Henry von Killinger made Rusty a supervillain, and I actually think it would've been fun for at least a few episodes.

VENCHMANNNNNNN!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Amedeus posted:

I don't think Orpheus would go for it.

Your magic can't work on me, you silly-billy.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
My favorite moment in Venture Bros. Go to graduate school if you want to be surrounded by people who'll consider this normal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfjj7Y9N27c

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

PostNouveau posted:

Shore Leave's interjections during an rear end-kicking are always good for a laugh.

"Boom! That's right. This is all happening. Can't change the channel now!"

TA-DAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Genital formalwear! I'm ready!

OH MY GOD! This water is fr-EEZ-ing! I am NOT properly dressed!!

KilGrey posted:

I still giggle endlessly about the scene in the garage sale episode when 21 does the Star Wars kid.

No.... young padawan. This one, is mine. Brock Sampson... at last we meet. :smug:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

GD_American posted:

I remember the first time I watched this I was singing along. I had to rewind it and watch it again. My wife could have started a windmill spinning with the power of her eye-rolling.

When 24 drives up, singing in perfect sync is where I lost it when I first saw it.

EDIT:
You know I've seen that a bajillion times, and this is the first time I noticed 21 is holding a glove in his mouth while wearing both gloves already.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Captain Foxy posted:

Jesus help me, I was going to post with the gif from my avatar's quote, but I can't stop laughing at the last two pages because every loving moment of this show is hilarious.

I can't even pick a favorite character anymore. First world problems?

The correct answer is Shore Leave. I'm glad he's not in every episode though, because I feel like the writers would ultimately keep trying to top themselves with him and it'd get old.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
While Mars was my favorite moment, my favorite line is:

Well then.... shall we shake hands? And... leave as enemies??

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

AGirlWonder posted:

Man, I love to hate the Moppets. This bit is one of my favorites in the series.

EDIT: I don't know if anyone's brought it up specifically, but General Treister's nicknames for everyone in Any Which Way But Zeus crack me up.

I know all of you little girls don't wanna play in the same sandbox and I don't care. This is MY sandbox. Now let's dig in!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Red posted:

The only 'meh' episode of VB is probably the Dr. Quymn episode.

That episode would have been fine if they dialed Ginnie down about ten notches.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I enjoyed Ginnie only because she reminds me or a woman I know.

Also the wads of tissue falling out of the bra slays me every time.

The "Nancy-Drew" twins were the best part of that episode, I agree.

Ithaqua posted:

Just like they should dial Brock down about ten notches?

You know, I knew as soon as I posted that that someone was gonna get butthurt about it and take it completely the wrong way.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

SRM posted:

I've watched that episode with at least four different people, and I'm the only person who gets that line every time. For a dick joke it's pretty subtle, and one of my favorite lines that episode.

Is there a double meaning in a reference to the old TV show or something?

I just assumed it was *just* a dick joke.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Argh, I missed last night's episode! :argh:

Sash! posted:

I don't think Rusty has a mother in the first place.

I elect to take Jonas' saying that Rusty was his greatest invention literally.

I've heard this theory before and it would certainly be believable. Jonas really was a self-aggrandizing rear end in a top hat and I wouldn't put it past him to "invent" a son just to get more points with the people. The thing that I'd say argues against this is we've seen quite a few cases where Jonas kind of saw Rusty as an ungrateful burden. Don't forget that he tried to "counsel" his son himself and when Rusty did actually try to open up Jonas just literally called him an ungrateful rear end. On a related note, someone once brought up how ironic it is that JJ is very much like his father, ironically having never met him. I'm sure that's done purposely.

Rusty is a miserable failure because his father couldn't be assed to be a father.

EDIT:
I also like to think that Jonas isn't dead and he's just hiding somewhere.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

reignofevil posted:

I don't think Jonas has the ego to let the Venture name get completely trashed, even for humanitarian purposes.

If he is in hiding, he is definitely in space. With the Aliens. And General Treister.

Yeah, my previous statements of his planet-sized ego and arrogance are in complete odds with the "hiding" theory. Or at the very least the willfully hiding theory.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Jonas isn't that "noble." Its more likely Jonas bumped ugly with the other man's wife making Dr. Venture and Monarch half brothers. Also the Monarch looks like a little exaggerated Dean Venture in that photo. Also I'm going to toss this out there that Jonas may have in fact killed the Monarch's parents resulting in the plane crash that probably scrambled the Monarch's memory. Maybe Jonas Venture wasn't that great a scientist and he stole all his inventions from others and the Monarch's father caught on to that and the boning of his wife. Jonas kills the Monarch's family to protect his own image that sounds more plausible than Jonas acting benevolently.

This is the more likely scenario of the two offered.

Ohhh Daddy had a little... sleepover. *walks around kitchen in front of son with giant penis flopping around in his son's face*

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Internet Alias posted:

I figured he was an analogue of Zartan or one of these guys http://gijoe.wikia.com/wiki/Dreadnok

edit: Or possibly one of those twin guys whose name I can't remember.

Tomax and Xamot

(You really only have to remember the name of one of them) :v:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I foresee this gif getting a lot of use.

52 = COUNTRY = US & G...

....the last line is hard to make out... in order:

E or F
O or 0
D (not B, the other angle gives it away)
I or L
E or F

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm torn between RoboBo and the Nozzle. :allears:

Escape to the House of Mummies Pt. II is my favorite episode title and it also has one of the funnier one-group-in-the-episode-accomplish-absolutely-nothing subplots.

AS has been covered before, I love how they do a "part 2" without the part one, and then tease part 3 and never do it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xxEightxx posted:

First rule in Hollywood, if you don't see a body, they aren't dead.

Even then....

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

thexerox123 posted:

When did you last check?

Wow. You know, I will never understand considering trailers and commercials "spoilers". I get people not wanting the to be spoiled on unofficially released poo poo, but effing commercials? That just seems to be going a little far. Same went for people I used to watch Galactica with who intentionally covered their eyes at the end of the intro theme so they couldn't see the 20 seconds of random shots for episode you're about to see.

Just my personal opinion, not trying to raise a fuss.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

IUG posted:

Well this is me then, because I looked away from the title screen of BSG because I would rather see the scenes in context, rather than waiting for the scenes I knew were going to happen to happen. For that show I didn't want to know if it was going to be a big epic space battle episode, a government relations episode, a brawl in the crew episode, etc. The point of watching the show was seeing how the story flows, rather than trying to get a glimpse of it and trying to put together what you saw and know something is coming up, and now you're paying more attention to that then the story.

I also personally don't pay attention to previews or commercials, but if I were to be spoiled from a commercial on something I'm sure it would be minor, and I don't get upset about it. I just try to not see them, but don't let it ruin the show/movie for me if I do catch something from them. (Unless it's something to the level of Castaway where the trailer for the movie gives away the ending).

So what's the difference then in seeing the intro glimpses in BSG and the glimpses in a commercial? 9/10 its minor, and even if it is major it's usually presented in an intentionally *wrong* context to get throw you off. I never really felt like I was thrown off the story flow knowing that for example Tigh was had marines pointing their guns at him and he was about to be spaced. Seriously, that was one of my favorite moments in the show, and yet we got a glimpse of it in the intro.

Again, I'm not criticizing so much as saying that I think it's a little far. Where I'd (personally) draw the line between spoiler and not-spoiler is "unofficially released" things. So commercials/trailers = ok, intro clips = ok, aint it cool news plot updates = usually spoiler. And so forth.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

kas posted:

The thing I love about Gary being 'The Viceroy' is that there's an actual butterfly called the Viceroy which has evolved to look like the (poisonous) Monarch butterfly so it won't get eaten by predators. It's brilliant, really - he was just so into the henching for the Monarch thing that when he finally goes out on his own, the name he picks isn't just great because he's imitating what he's learned from the Monarch, and a real viceroy would serve under a monarch, but also because it's the name of a lovely imitation of the same-named butterfly as well.

EDIT: REALLY? Beaten on this by one post? Goddamn. :(

I don't know why the Viceroy-Monarch connection never occurred to me, but it is awesome.

Also, while Viceroys were long thought to be the only beneficiary of having evolved to look like a Monarch, Monarchs benefit too. Turns out both butterflies are toxic, so they end up working to each other's mutual benefit.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I just got a friend of mine hooked on this show. I made the mistake of showing them the pilot first (Netflix)... luckily they took my word for it and hung with it and likes the show now.

It really was jarring how different the pilot is from... well, everything.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Daktar posted:

Was Tag Sale the first appearance of Augustine St. Cloud? He was seriously different back then.

'Oh cool - girly mags.'

He also had a completely different voice in that episode.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

thexerox123 posted:

I don't see anything at all indicative of Hermes.

I would guess Pluto? He does have a bident.

EDIT:

He could also be Achilles, who had a two pronged spear, (but not really a bident). I guess both work for Action Man.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 25, 2013

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

X_Toad posted:

Wouldn't Achilles be the odd man out in an assembly of gods? It's more likely Hades (Pluto), I think.

Yes, Pluto/Hades is certainly the more likely and most obvious. Just pointing out alternatives.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ultramiraculous posted:

I mean maybe Jonas stole his son and broke down, becoming an insect-themed villain bent on destroying Doctor Venture?

If that were the case, why would he put Rusty over a shark tank and attempt to kill him?

EDIT:

Now, Scaramantula being *Monarch's* father... that would be interesting.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Anyone who dislikes St. Cloud should eat a can full of pennies. :colbert:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

twistedmentat posted:

Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.

I was sold of St Cloud from that exchange.

SIDEKICK?!?!

BILLY, EAT THE DAMNED PENNIES!!! :mad:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So that friend of mine sent me a msg tonight asking me where he can watch more Venture Bros. My job is complete.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

evilwaldo posted:

It would be pretty funny if the Monarch and Rusty are half or step brothers and Rusty has been giving him a portion of his trust fund every month which the Monarch uses to troll Rusty.

Rusty never noticed it because he was too lazy to actually look where they money was going.

Certainly in line with what we can expect from Rusty. Especially if it were under Rusty's control the whole time, and he could have pulled the plug whenever he wanted.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Season V: Eat the Pennies

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

JT Jag posted:

Venture Bros Season V: Listen to your sidekick, Quizboy. Eat the pennies.

Someone went to the effort of making a 10 minute loop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34gATGTDp38

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Well then, shall we.... shake hands... and, leave as enemies?

Sash! posted:

Victor Echo November might be my favorite episode.

Its...like Peak Brock. And the first time it aired, poo poo got real when he said "we might not win this one."

...this one is different... isn't it Brock?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Sash! posted:

I'd watch the hell out of a Jonas Venture show

I might if this were the 50s.

I dunno, what we know of the "Rusty Venture Show", it just seems like a typical crappy serial.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
:argh: Bought an OSI T-shirt. Son of a bitch.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Just caught up with Sunday. :stare: This is becoming a show with a real plot.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Reading this last page was like reading a FOIA request.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Has anyone gotten an OSI shirt shipping confirmation yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Malcolm XML posted:

A quality emoticon choice here.

I'd kill to get into the tshirt of the month club :(

I'm not in the club, and they had no problem taking my money for the OSI shirt.

Djarum posted:

Week 2 shirts are still going out the door so it is going to be awhile until those go out.

Damnit. Thanks!