Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

RandallODim posted:

I definitely spent more time on this than I should have.

Billy eat the pennies.

It's great, but the way his eyepatch changes sides whenever he moves his head makes him look like a cyclops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The Monarch, unable to function without 21 joins SPHINX, takes it over and fights supervillains all while living at the Venture compound and being a massive dick to Rusty.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

JetsGuy posted:

Is there a double meaning in a reference to the old TV show or something?

I just assumed it was *just* a dick joke.

Same here. Is there any joke beyond 'Hank gets circumcised'?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I was waiting for the Drachma coins they were handing out to turn out to really be the doubloons from the start of the episode and for Rusty to have won millions of dollars in ancient gold coins over the last 20 years.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I can't even think the name "Wally Schirra" without hearing it in Col. Gentleman's voice.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Does anyone have any good screencaps of Vendata's hovercar thing?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Thanks, I just couldn't make heads nor tails out of it when they quickly flashed onto it in the show. I'm sure it's based on some obscure, lovely Sci Fi show from the 70s, but I can't place it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Angular Landbury posted:

Anybody else catch the security guard at the club right when Vendata and Ghost Robot enter that looks exactly like the Kano from the Rusty Venture cartoon?

I honestly thought one of the waitresses was Trianna, too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Jerusalem posted:

I wouldn't give up having more Ghost Robot, but seeing those shots of Helper made me think how amazing a Vendata/Helper "date" would have been.

Except that Vendata would have instantly recognised him.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Hermetic posted:

My only real disappointment in the finale, other than it not being a full hour long, is that we had a dental torture scene, and The Monarch didn't ask Dr. Venture "Is it safe?" a few times.

Well he did quote the nazi dentist's other lines from when he was torturing Dustin Hoffman.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I can't believe they had a space ship station being bombarded by asteroids and didn't put in a Black Hole reference.

Also, I'm ever so slightly worried that they're doing a Season 5 of Angel - the one where the team stopped being poor private investigators* and moved in to Wolfram & Hart with it billions of dollars and literally limitless resources. Because apart from El Diablo Robotico that season just wasn't fun.

* Who lived in their own ten story hotel.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Tatsuta Age posted:

Better Off Ted had a pretty excellent first (and second/final :( ) season.

RIP Better Off Ted. Let my lonely gang tag stand eternal vigil :emo:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The very first I even knew about Venture Bros was when somebody posted a gif of the time Brock did his zen falling into the car driven by Myra.

I was hooked from the very start.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Pick posted:

I didn't watch Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars is what I point to when I want to show someone what a drat near to perfect first season looks like.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So we're moving from mocking super science adventuring to mocking super powers?

I can get behind that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

JMBosch posted:

If anyone wants to spoil themselves on everything shown in the Season 6 trailer, I put up a breakdown of it here.

But my favorite moment is definitely Shore Leave undercover as Brock:

I'd love to see a Shore Leave spin off.

By far my favourite recurring character.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Okay, I've changed my mind - a Shore Leave and Doctor O spinoff.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Oh my god, I just got this.

He's...

The Warsaw Gekko

Goddamn.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Slo-Tek posted:

I know that. I figured it had to be a reference to some movie where a character wistfully says "when was the last time you went to the zoo?". It was delivered more like an ironic quote than a query.

It really brought to mind, for me, Magnum PIs (and Archers) "Did you see the sun rise?" It had that same almost whimsical tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWLjzosQk8M&t=79s

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't know if Night Dick is outing himself

Wouldn't be the first time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

tarlibone posted:

Conveyer belts on the streets.

Paris actually did this in 1900.

Some bloke even made a short film about it:

https://vimeo.com/71431855

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Pope Guilty posted:

In one of his books, Henry Rollins talks about a summer job he had as a teenager that ended with him having to gas thousands of white mice who were unfit for research purposes and it's the most depressing goddamned thing.

Except for the huge mutant tumour rat which escaped.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
He probably rented out arching time to the highest bidder. Now that Venture is living large he's a prime arching target after all.

A smart villain could make mad bank having other villains pay you to do your work for you.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

thrakkorzog posted:

So who was the sarcastic green guy? Both LoD and The Factory. I just kept thinking of him as a nastier version of Lorne from Angel.

That's all I could see every time he came on.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

tarlibone posted:

2. Think Tank goes to arch Venture. Result: dies on Venture property at around the same time that Blue Morpho's car flies over Venture's penthouse.

It's actually a little bit more than that. The flying car disappears over the Venture building and a few seconds later, Rusty appears looking over the balcony.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm guessing the "no body" rule is in effect with 21's kill.

We saw him bury the spider arms, not the guy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

twistedmentat posted:

Well, when you talk about kid Doc, he would be Rusty. The only person who calls Doc Rusty is Pete, which is a neat way to show how they are good friends.

Wait, so what does Billy call him?

I know he's said, "You're Rusty Venture!" about half a dozen times, but I can't actually remember him calling Dr Venture, well, anything really.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

Whoa what? Which episode did he say this?

I'd like to know this, too.

I can't remember Doc talking about dying in a tube.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The nanites built permanent structures in Dean's brain and were then flushed from his system.

Done.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Sash! posted:

And the "GO AHEAD. TAKE IT FROM ME." scene.

That line and the "they hit me with a truck" one get used to so drat often with my friends.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Exactly what was in that leaked script page.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So I was buying new curtains for the front of the house and I'm talking to the saleslady about getting net curtains for privacy and she says, "Oh we have a wonderful line of voile blinds you can choose from if you don't mind paying a bit more."

So, thanks to Escape To the House of Mummies Part 2, I'm now paying an extra $100 for voile curtains in a joke nobody I ever invite over will ever get and I'm far too embarrassed to explain.

They do look very nice, though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Don't forget to warm them up in the dryer.

It's winter here now, but I assure you I can't wait for the first really hot day of summer to heat up the blinds.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just watched the new The Tick. Was good.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Wheat grass shakes and bespoke artisinal breakfast cereals.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Those guys are actually who I was thinking of. It's just as bad as you think it is - breakfast all day with all your favourite lovely cereals from your childhood so you can sit there in your pink onsie and 'pretend' you never grew up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Two Tonne Twenty One.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Sockser posted:

This is how I felt when I figured out Brick Frog. Just loving angry that someone made a joke that loving clever.

Who even knows the names for the parts of a brick anyway? That's just insanity!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

"Loin-girded codpiece of truth" is just a brilliant turn of phrase, the fact that a codpiece literally girds(surrounds) one's loins and also that "gird your loins" is an idiom from the bible used to mean "prepare for attack" makes it the perfect accessory for a bible-themed superhero, well, preparing for attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxyIQTy3hn0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The Babylon 5 pilot was execrable. If I had seen that first, I would never have watched the series.

But, on the other side of things, the Global Frequency pilot was the loving tits but never got picked up.