Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What a great ending. And I don't think Doc is dead, check out the un-aired clips from the preview for season 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC8WMvxzRis

Looks like a lot of the Monarch and Rusty is in there getting some kind of dental work/torture from the Monarch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
St. Cloud was that guy from the tag sale episode, right? From season 1 I mean.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

That looks really painful, I've never seen a upper body muffin top before. Really good job with the costume and makeup though.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dolash posted:

From what I have seen of the earlier seasons, it looks like the titular Venture Brothers were hardly characters before things came to a head with the clone thing. That's part of what's discouraging me from watching the earlier seasons, I particularly like the direction of Dean's character and the confrontation he appears to be on the road toward.

It used to be the Doc and Brock show, almost. And that's not a bad thing. If you're watching this show just for the plot and world building, you're making a mistake. It's a funny cartoon, go watch it in order you dope.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Aw man, now the wait begins. This season really doesn't feel like it had a complete arc as much as previous seasons did. Feels like they're leaving a lot of loose ends to tie up in S6 (whenever that will be.)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

It never really gave me much pause when I was watching this episode, but if you stop to think about this scene and what's going on, it's loving terrifying.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The best new OSI guy was Bum Rush, just because was an actual bum with a shopping cart. I burst out laughing when they called him out in the episode.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
He is called Afterburner because of his horrible burn scars. But yeah, it would have been funnier if he was a pilot.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

Ever since season 4 he's developed these permanent dark circles around his eyes. I figured it was a near-death thing.

He also got these big blue eyes where he used to just have black dots. I don't even notice it anymore but it did make him look weird at first.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I was about to post how that would be a dumb idea since how much comedy can you really squeeze out of pun, but then I remembered we just had 3 seasons of Sgt. Hatred.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

CaptCommy posted:

Oh man, I set up IGNORE ME a few weeks ago and it is the best thing I've ever done with my life.

Is there a convenient upload somewhere?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Anybody have anything to say about the commentary/extras? Worth picking up just for those?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Okay either something is seriously wrong with my iPad, or they didn't upload the first episode of season 2 to Netflix. That one is kind of important.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

They're all out of order, just like the season 1 episodes.

A first time watcher of this show is going to be seriously confused then.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still not sure if that whole sequence was a hallucination and Rusty was at the rave the whole time, but it's funny either way.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Edlund wrote the Scooby Doo episode so he already proved himself capable.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Doc becomes less terrible by retconning degrees. He's come a long way since the man who butchered an orphan to make a private masturbation chamber.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I think that "clones"/"clothes" thing was intentional, they set up a lot of different red herrings in season 1, and then they ran through them all in the season 2 opener.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I believe it's "clothes" but the subtitles aren't always transcriptions from the script. Sometimes it's just some person doing it for the network based on what they hear.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

Home Movies is pretty close to the perfect thing to have come from that era. It lasted for exactly the right amount of time, evolved in just the right way, hardly ever put a foot wrong, and ended satisfyingly.

Back when it was airing new or gently used I tended to fall asleep with it running in the background because they liked to run it in the 1AM-2AM block. To this day I like to cue up episodes to fall asleep to, just for old time's sake.

Home Movies lives on through Bobs Burgers though so it's all good.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Season 1 had some really goofy faces, especially the Monarch. He almost looks like a Tex Avery toon sometimes. They kind of toned that down as he became a regular.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Shindragon posted:

Dr O: You may sit down if you would be more comf-
Torid: I shall stand. Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Jefferson: I like this guy...He's all ifull of beans and ants. FIRE ANTS.
Dr O: So what kind of menace do you think you can offer the Order of the Triad.
Torid: I kidnap your daughter.
Al: Wow.
Jefferson: BALLS. BRASS BALLS.
Dr O: (best theme of the show plays) YOU KIDNAP MY PUMPKIN!
Al: We have a winner.
Jefferson: The guys not even a Blackula!

I just saw this episode today. The best bit is the Alchemist standing up right after Torrid says that line, and he's all like "what my back hurt".

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Oh they've been teasing Gargantua-2 for so long, I hope the payoff is worth it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The moment when the pirate captain sees a real ghost and just stammers "wow no way!" is the exact moment I knew I loved this show.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Patrick Warburton probably doesn't come cheap.

They used to have Stephen Colbert too before he got hugely popular.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
He's probably at the age where you just stop trying to stay cool.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That was back when literally every henchman the Monarch had was 24.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
They couldn't think of a sixth expression for the Monarch? He looks exactly like Dean.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

Telltale would be absolutely perfect for it.

Only if they don't write any of the dialog.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Shindragon posted:

gently caress you mean by that? Telltale's writing is pretty drat good.

You just mean only if the game doesn't crash and burn. :v:

I mean they're not funny and their games aren't funny.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I had seen other episodes before that one but it definitely got me hooked. I love the ghost pirate guy and the sleeping bag joke.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You're crazy, the pilot is awesome from even the first scene before the opening.
Wow you totally got the kink out of it, and I don't wanna smoke anymore either!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
King of the Hill is about suburban Texans, not exactly what I would call rednecks. Its a good show besides.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Rednecks/white trash tend to be blue-collar low income families, people who live in trailers and poo poo. Hank & friends are just your typical middle class suburban conservatives.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Ithaqua posted:

Yes, it's pretty obvious. He also says something like "I think the plane is going down" while malfunctioning, and the Monarch said in season 1 or 2 that his parents died when the plane they were in crashed in the pine barrens.

You can also see the monarch's parents hanging out with Jonas Venture boat in the Spanikopita!!! episode.

I think it's going to turn out that the Monarch hates Rusty because Rusty was a dick when they played together when they were kids. It would fit the show so well; this insane, all-consuming life-long hatred over something totally inconsequential.

I thought he hated Doc because he was too young to hate Jonas.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Reset Smith posted:

That looked completely amazing!
Do we have an eta yet on when the rest of the season is coming out? Or is it still a vague "sometime in 2015"?

2015? What are you smoking? This is Venture Brothers, not "The Simpsons".

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Sash! posted:

Consumerism?

Hate to break it to you, but you're watching something on Netflix, you've already lost that fight.

I think that category is reserved for 30 minute toy commercials like Transformers and MLP.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Toplowtech posted:

He probably has received a lot of weird super science treatments against his terminal cancer as head of OSI and from the start the guy had what looks like a power source in his shoulder. So" weirdness" overload/convergence, i guess. And since the treatments against his cancer wouldn't work, of course the real "weird super science" solution was to give him MORE cancer, not less.

That's a robot heart! Everybody wants one ever since Da Iron Man.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Brock softening up was a big deal for me in season 2, I didn't like it for a long time because of that. It turned out to be for he best though, there's only so much you could do with season 1 Brock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

For some reason I thought Otto basically avoids Colonel Gentleman and the Action Man because he thinks they're degenerates, but I don't think that's ever actually said.

In the season 1 deleted scenes he calls him a sodomite.