Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

tarlibone posted:

I would assume that the Guild treats clones as the same person as the original. I mean, if they didn't, then every superscientist would have a clone made, transfer their consciousness to the clone, destroy the original person, and claim an arching exemption due to the fact that they're not physically the same person who was originally the antagonists' archenemy.

What if both are alive at the same time, or there isn't a memory transfer?

Most guild laws seem made up when it comes up in the story, and Rusty knows nothing about how the guild works. If we ever find out I imagine it will go down that the boys are unregistered clones and the guild wants them dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

tarlibone posted:

On the second paragraph: you're probably right. That would be pretty fun to put in the show, the fact that the boys are targets of the GCI no matter what, by the simple fact of their existence.

To the first point: that sounds like the first sentence of an episode pitch.

You could do an entire season, Rusty puts off filling out the clone form it turns into a big battle on their front lawn (again). Rusty finally looks at the drat thing and it's 4 questions Date of cloning. Memory Transfer Date. Date of Original's Death and signature. Everyone drops their weapons after he presses submit or hands it to a guild agent. Start and end of season, fill the middle in with normal Venture Bros stuff.

There's probably much better ideas for a season so I hope they do something else.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

PROBLEM is the solution to everything it held all the answers

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Is it problem?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I changed my mind, Rusty was his partner on a project. On the final night to get work done, he abandoned Malcolm to finish the work, while he went to a KISS show to pick up chicks. They failed, and Monarch has never forgiven him.

Honestly, I'm conflicted on whether or not the genesis of the whole thing should be stupidly petty or emotionally hosed up. They both work incredibly well with the thematic tragi-comedy of the show.

This is why it will never ever come up outside of a farewell movie that comes out 10 years after the final season. I don't see this show ending any other way.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Laundry list of stuff followed by "He wasn't even the right guy, been arching him for all these years and the guy I was angry at just died without knowing how much I hated him" at a funeral for a series finale might be funny. I can't see revealing it at any other point.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I don't have time to read the whole thread right now: What is the cheapest way to see the last season streaming? I missed it entirely and need to get caught up, but am cautious about buying too many physical media items after having lost all my previous collections (except what I could access digitally) in a fire last year. It's probably weird or whatever, but that's me now. I've had a sort of hard time finding it--maybe I'm not looking correctly.

Before said fire, I had all the VB seasons up to that point on a combination of DVDs and Blu-Ray. I miss 'em.

I'm sure there's a better site but I use this to find what streaming services are running a season or are selling it.

https://trakt.tv/shows/the-venture-bros/seasons/7

Looks like it's free on Adult Swim if you have cable and you can buy to stream on Amazon, iTunes, and Vudu. Be aware that just because you buy it to stream does not mean the service will always have it. Every single one includes a clause where they can just stop offering to stream after a certain date and only have to refund if you purchase within X days before the shutdown. Almost every single service that has been around for awhile has already removed content and that leaves you with nothing.

I would never pay for digital to own unless I get a file that I can store however I want and play at any point in the future as long as something can read the file still.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

They say "fake it till you make it" Rusty never stopped faking it

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The Dark S-7 Maneuver

That's what a dark S7 is?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You could have Dean get his throat hurt in the first 2 minutes and hes now mute, rusty makes him a robot voice.

You could also kill him off, the show can work without him at this point just rush the Malcolm Rusty thing if the name has to make sense, but really if the show involved no one named venture I'd still watch it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Just get the guy from that cosplay, dub in Warburton's voice if you have to

I'd watch this movie.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Are you sure it wasn't crones?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I want an alternate timeline Jonas Super villain to show up. He'd really torment Rusty.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

We are talking about two things

Was Jonas good from Rusty's point of view and was Jonas a good person objectively.

Objectively Jonas is worse than the guild and the real bad guy of the universe everyone just loved him for some reason, likely because he has mind control gas. It's kind of hard to hate someone when you've had your mind altered to love him. Do you really think Jonas is the type of person to not have used that on random people?

Anyway Spanikopita was absolutely a positive moment for Rusty, he remembers it fondly and as if his dad had planned a giant party just for him because the truth was hidden and he's never question it. Questioning Spanikopita would probably destroy Rusty. As an outside observer it's just another reason why Jonas is a bad father, or maybe he'd just assumed Rusty was dead and had grown another clone. Either way not exactly an objectively good person.

Still very easy for Rusty to love Jonas with his limited point of view.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I was watching the marathon stream last night and Rusty himself sums it up amazingly

"He was a great man and a great scientist and I respect him for that, but he was a crap father" That's his brutal, honest opinion about Jonas I forget the exact episode but it's around the time the Monarch's cocoon gets destroyed by Jonas Jr. plus or minus 3 episodes at most. I think it's the one where Brock gets terminated.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It's also infrequent and brings a fan base back to watching adult swim that then sees whatever else they are trying to get running at the time.

I think the biggest thing going both for and against the show is that the fan base isn't exactly in line with their current adut swim audience.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You can render remotely. Do basic work locally transfer work file to render farm render farm works on CGI remotely. Small IT team that only has to support servers can keep it running.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The "will this be the last season" phase of the thread - that means there's light on the horizon :pray:

So you are praying that this means they have more free time and can make a season every 6 months so we get way too much Venture Bros and it becomes like the Simpsons?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

They clearly live lives between seasons. I'd be up for a series of 1-2h specials every few years to be honest. What is the year in the show anyway? I know they play age loose due to clones but we've been with "the last clones" for awhile now. Real Rusty was born in 1960, he'd be 80 right now he looks fantastic for that age. I assume clone Rusty is closer to 50-60.

I really just want to see Malcolm's reaction at Rusty's funeral so good there, if the series doesn't end with it it absolutely has to be a special. Everything feels like it's leading up to it. They don't need full seasons to keep the current feel of slice of life in a crazy super science world.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 7, 2020

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

People born in 1960 are turning 60 this year, not 80.

Wow I'm not sure how I hosed up the math that badly, I think I hit 60 then added 20 because 2020 assuming I only went 1960 to 2000 first.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Rusty's funeral still has a lot of comedic potential and at the current release schedule he'll be 80 in no time assuming a real world calendar. Which yeah they don't seem to be following directly but years have clearly passed between just about every season.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I just don't buy Jonas caring enough about Rusty as a kid to clone backup copies, Rusty being a vanity project gone wrong that he just tolerates feels more like his personality.

I don't think the timeline is enough supporting evidence for missing years since I doubt things were thought out that concretely.

To be clear, I doubt even Jackson and Doc have made a decision on how all of that fits together yet. It's not like they have a bible that sets all this stuff in stone, it can all change on a whim. We'll just have to see.

Right, but because of cloning there's ways to explain it that will make sense there's several. Right now there is likely very little thought put into it other than Rusty would be in college at roughly this time period. It doesn't make it less fun to try and find a coherent timeline in the mess.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

One Punch is a great show, it's one of the very few that is worth watching if you aren't going down the anime rabbit hole.

The manga is really good too (read the remake with the insanely good art)

season 2 of One Punch Man was extremely disappointing art wise with the new studio.

It is very Venture Bros just with more anime leaning power set.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I always thought it was an escaped clone, never considered it was Rusty's.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just rewatched The Doctor is Sin, and drat if I wouldn’t buy a six-issue What If style comic of “Doc took Killinger up on his deal and became a supervillain”.

Speaking of alternate universe stuff, I'd watch another 1-2 episodes with Doom Factory. They seemed fun. Not arching Rusty that's been done, it would also let them flesh out the good guy side that aren't OSI types.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I kinda feel like JJ being raised by Jonas would've just resulted in another Jonas Sr.. JJ did have a mean side - I'm reminded of the "who are the two dead men at my front door" line.

Given what he did with the PROBLEM, it honestly wouldn't have surprised me if Jonas would have found some way to hijack JJ's body/mind to fend off the Grim Reaper another few decades. Hell, even Rusty boosted a kidney each from Hank and Dean.

They were junk clones.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Nonexistence posted:

I hope you brought your rubbers

Don't improvise!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pershing posted:

Have we ever gotten a taste of what Level 1 looked like for Doc?

I always thought that was odd he started with all of Jonas's stuff shouldn't he have been at least a 4 or a 5?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's shown in the codification of the EMA system (not its first mention notably; one of the issues called out when 21 recruited a bunch of gang bangers with pistols is that they were using weaponry above their level) that Rusty was literally right there in the event that set off the codification of explicit levels of aggression. Also says something that using a standard pistol is considered Level 6, above average, and in his first appearance as Rusty's new arch Sgt Hatred seriously considers downgrading to Airsoft or even Nerf guns.

I think he always had airsoft the first you hear him comment on them is "nix the nonlethal we're going all nerf on this one!" It's a great line.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Warbird posted:

My memory is a bit lovely but the extent of the Partnership was a series of PP on your belt jokes, Red Death killing the poo poo out of some rando tough guys, and then the big bad leading things just being some guy on some island the meet and kill within a few minutes. It just seemed like they were initially going to be a bigger deal and it all got written out fairly quickly. I could be misremembering though.

There was that secret meeting of good guys and bad guys there's a shark guy that has a beef with Brock. He says he reps the peril partnership before lunging and Brock and getting killed.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

He's gots the pee pee cancer!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

Sometime before the heat death of the universe.

Still a chance it's after they haven't said for sure

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Daikloktos posted:

I like that The Monarch does occasionally get his arch up for somebody other than Venture.

Only when forced, and he just pretends they are Rusty that's how he ends up killing the first few before finding the Blue Morpho base and making 21 do all the killing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

After reading all the new posts I just want to Super Runaway!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I'm sure once this are quiet a small youtube channel will popup with Barron Underbite talking about what Rusty was up to, and for some reason he's chained to White again why not (done in cosplay to avoid infringing on character designs owned by Adult Swim)

I mean the voice actor for Dale Gribble is doing stuff like selling pocket sand on ebay and slinging it on youtube. There's gotta be some silly in universe thing they could sell and make fun for the audience to not buy, or buy. (I really really want some pocket sand but it's just overpriced sand).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

How am I supposed to replace my shirts that are falling apart now? It was like a perfect interval to inject new blood into my t-shirt drawer and relegate old ones to the lovely shirt drawer

lootcrate sends a shirt every month if that's your thing. I'm sure there's other sources of monthly shirts.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

qirex posted:

Yes let’s write to HBO about picking up the show just canceled by... *reads wikipedia* HBO

The other department might actually want it, they are apparently starved for content on HBO Max. I'm not even sure what HBO Max is other than a second streaming service from HBO. What's the difference between them?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

so you are saying piracy is going to become popular again?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It's not hard to learn to download, and the actual pirating scene is still going strong. We learned it rapidly, they can and will too. Lots of them seem to have figured out bitcoin, the stock market, and dark net just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Can we try indie TV? Like they just throw up a kickstarter it gets animated and we get download files?