Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Now that's an obscure one-liner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Why are there so few episodes this season? They've previously had 13, this season only has 8 for some reason?

After season 4, Adult Swim and Jackson & Doc worked out a two seasons renewal deal, opting for 10 episode orders rather than the traditional 13 to preserve the crew's sanity/have a significantly faster turnaround between seasons than in years past. On top of the shorter episode order, scheduling wound up biting the audience in a way: Despite its "Special" label the Halloween episode was part of the Season 5 production order, and the hourlong season premiere counted as 2 episodes toward the overall total. In the end we're left with just 7 standard half-hour episodes.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

epitasis posted:

Pretty sure this dude at Slate is a superfan because I think he's written like three articles on the show this season.

Spoilers based on that article/the episode 7 preview: So the funeral is for Boggles the Clue Clown, who was the only Guild Leader that Monstroso was able to identify through silhouette (And his penchant for horn honking.) I'm guessing this is the work of the OSI rather than happy coincidence. Should they really be loving with GCI leadership with The Investors lurking in the wings?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

RandomPauI posted:

Hank has the best alternate identities. Private Dick Hank, Enrique Matassa, Batman. Dean really needs to step up his game if he ever wants to get laid.

Hey, if it hadn't been for the Monarch's surprise attack/Dr. Mrs. The Monarch's surprise antidote, Dean was poised to be waist-deep in 4 armed ladies as the Lee-Hun-Took.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DynamicSloth posted:

He goes all the way back to Tag Sale Your It in Season one.

And that 10 second appearance is why I've called her "Buffy's own Sarah Michelle Guh-llar" for a decade

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

theflyingexecutive posted:

"What's your sleep number?"

"The Rusty met Lindsay Wagner at a party! She was totally into The Rusty! Witty banter was shared! But The Rusty could not seal the deal. This is because The Rusty was tired, but only because of this!"

I would not be averse to another trip into Rusty's mind at some point - or any character's, for that matter. That's fertile ground for comedy. EDIT: Also holy poo poo I forgot how funny Doc trying to off himself with that comatose look is. "Nobody's gonna road flare themselves to death."

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 9, 2013

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DrBouvenstein posted:

So Dermott knows he's Doc's kid, but he still doesn't know his sister is his mom, and his mom his grandmother, right?

Like...right now, he's thinking ~19 years ago, Doc banged his nasty mom, right?

Yeah, Dermott is poised for a Jack Nicholson-style revelation.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
My only reaction was a loud, sharp bark of a laugh. The second Brock said "It's just the Monarch, what's he gonna do," the fix was in - but that wasn't the resolution I was expecting.

All I'm saying is, Rusty suffered a catastrophic industry in the same episode we were introduced to the concept of Venture Industries' take on Robocop technology.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Remember how, in the season 2 DVDs, Jackson and Doc joke that the next season will introduce a sassy, flamboyant character whose catchphrase is "Boom! Yummy." - and Season 3 introduced us to Shore Leave/Holy Diver? I just recalled the NYC Comic-Con panel they did after season 4, where Doc Hammer says:

Doc Hammer posted:

We have two voices that are almost the same voice, [Ghost Robot] and the guy from the Council of 13, (monotone) "The One Who Speaks Like This." They're really long horrible voices, I want to do a whole episode that is just those two guys talking and just excruciate everyone around them not having a good time.

Not quite a whole episode, but it was certainly the backbone of "Bot Seeks Bot." Hell, in trying to find that quote I went back to their SDCC panel from last year, where Doc says "Yeah, we brought back that Saint Cloud idiot from season 1" super off-handedly after talking about their habit of turning background extras into full-fledged characters. I'm not writing off anything these guys say in interviews going forward.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Data Graham posted:

What's going to phase him? Three words: HOLY DAMMIT CHRISTMAS

Hey, the GRAND GALACTIC INQUISITOR merited a "Ladysmith Black Mambazo!" but after the initial shock, it was back to "Who gives a poo poo?"

You can startle Rusty Venture, but you can't faze him.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

MrTpug posted:

So are we supposed to ignore the fact that Dr. Venture and the Monarch are both Gingers? I put forth that the Monarch is really Rusty Venture and Dr. Venture is the REAL clone

Install Gentoo posted:

Billy is a defective Rusty clone.

The weird thing is, I could believe both of these reveals! If the final episode ends up with like 75% of the cast being genetically linked through cloning, children both in and out of wedlock and...whatever else they can throw at us, I wouldn't be surprised. Some grand experiment that Jonas Sr. orchestrated but wasn't able to see it through and died before he could let anyone else in on it. The grand final reveal, something like half the cast is technically a Venture Brother, and then...

...it would bug everyone for a second, and then they'd all just get back to their petty squabbling.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

twistedmentat posted:

Oh god only on the 3rd watch that I realized that Don Hell is supposed to be Don Heck, one of the classic Marvel artists.

Snark posted:

I saw it as an homage to Don Hill's - a legendary (recently former) NYC music venue/club. It could be both, though.

The name makes sense, both to Don Heck and the NYC venue, but the costume struck me as Frankenstein from Death Race 2000. I suspect they were seeing how many homages they could attach to a single character.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Scott Bakula posted:

Dragoon and Red Mantle were absolutely amazing this episode. Not sure what cracked me up more, the "Too Soon" "He was always wrong" or "yes yes they could get wacky". Its something about the voices I think.

At this point the show is like 75% just Doc and Jackson arguing with each other in funny voices, and it works because the voices really are that good. Doc Hammer has said his basis for Red Mantle is "Drunk Obi-Wan Kenobi," which is just wonderful (And, when you're listening for it, spot on!)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Also love how they beat around the Billy/Limb origin story.

Still kinda wish they had left Billy's arm unexplained forever, because "That's an excellent question; I have no idea." was among the show's greatest punchlines. The episode that gave us all the backstory was wonderful, but...something about the concept of a brilliant, discredited hydrocephalitic living with a mechanical limb and not giving a poo poo about where it came from. That's comedy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sudo Echo posted:

Okay I can't figure out who the voice for the boss of the nightclub was, it sounds really familiar but I can't place it. What else is he in? He sounds like Beetlejuice or something.

You may be surprised to discover, Don Hell is also Jackson Publick.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dolash posted:

From what I have seen of the earlier seasons, it looks like the titular Venture Brothers were hardly characters before things came to a head with the clone thing. That's part of what's discouraging me from watching the earlier seasons, I particularly like the direction of Dean's character and the confrontation he appears to be on the road toward.

If you like how Dean has progressed and you haven't seen him be fitted for his first speedsuit...or be exposed to prog rock ("You're not ready to enter the Court of the Crimson King! At this point in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist,") you're missing out on the entire character. I'm a Dean fan as well, and his evolution this season (well, the season premiere, mainly,) has been an absolute treat. "And I thought I told you to go gently caress yourself" had so much more payoff knowing where he started from.

So has anybody found any news about who won the 24 costume contest at Comic-Con, or what this week's shirt will be?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I think the Monarch epilogue echoing the Mad Men finale is just a coincidence - a Hell of a coincidence, with the two most auteur-driven shows on television ending their seasons just weeks apart with such strikingly similar shots - but a coincidence all the same. Unless they rushed that couple seconds of animation in-house, of course, but I feel like they would have said something at Comic-Con if that were the case.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

RandomPauI posted:

There was also Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner.

Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner has a story by credit for Ben Edlund, but Jackson is the sole credit for the actual script. Careers in Science and ˇViva los Muertos! are the only two episodes to be written by a third party - Careers in Science only in part - and both were from Edlund. I'm sure if they could find another writing talent they trusted as much as the creator of The Tick to handle their universe well, they would have done so by now.

Again, the show really is just Jackson and Doc. Aside from the single Edlund penned episode, they've been the only writers and directors for every episode of the series, and that laser focus is what makes each installment so strong.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Trabisnikof posted:

What are the most prototypical Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick episodes?

I would say good baseline Doc episodes are "Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean" and "Tag Sale - You're It!", and for Jackson "Ice Station: Impossible!" and "Past Tense". All are Season 1 episodes that reflect their styles: Doc's scripts are group affairs that pinball from character to character, with a lot of little moments for everyone involved; Jackson's have a more singular focus that work toward developing or exploring a central character.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

X_Toad posted:

Don't forget "Public school, Hank! Public. School." Also, "Give me the prize! I am the one!", which is even more awesome now because it really looks like Hank still believes it.

Dean really should have reminded him about the whole "We used all the remaining clone slugs when the compound was being attacked 2 years ago" thing, because I have a feeling that armed with this new knowledge Hank is 2 minutes away from grabbing his Bat costume and trying to fly again.

quote:

Speaking of, any spot for Dean in Shallow Gravy now that he may start getting out a little more? Guitar? Drummer? Lyricist perhaps?

He's the dancer in their videos, remember.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Jackson and Doc did an enlightening walkthrough of Season 5 for the AV Club. Not as in-depth or as focused as a lot of the other AV Club showrunner chats, but they do explain why the ending felt so abrupt and the broader themes of the season. Plus there's lots of fun stuff like:

quote:

AV Club: This show has a complex mythology. In “O.S.I. Love You,” Monstroso tells Brock Samson that the Sovereign is, in fact, not the real David Bowie, but a shape-shifter who takes on David Bowie’s appearance. Would this count as a retcon? And how much do you try and keep the mythology consistent?

Jackson Publick: First of all, you don’t even know if he’s lying. So we can’t really talk about it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Bowie always was a trend-setter.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

feedmyleg posted:

I wish they didn't have a successful television show so they could make a weekly podcast.

I get the feeling that they could, so long as they did not discuss whatever episode they were working on at the moment. People - especially creative, quick-witted people like Doc and Jackson - underestimate how fun their own conversations can be, even when it's just bullshit/minutiae. The show is clearly that kind of petty bickering, refined ("How many Yaz albums do you HAVE on this thing?!") If they put out a podcast that was just 60-odd minutes of them bitching about, I dunno, the Pad Thai they had for lunch, and it faded out when they said "So this episode is about Hank and Dean's real mom" I have no doubt it would still be a wholly engaging and entertaining show.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The Venture Brothers Thread: Celebrating Ten Wonderful Years of "Clones"/"Clothes" Conversation

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

door Door door posted:

"Give me the Hand of Osiris"
"Give me head"

"You did not just say that."
"I absolutely did, what are you going to do about it?"
"I'm about to kill your sons!"
"Join the club."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

NeoSeeker posted:

IGNORE ME!

"THAT WAS A WEIRD ONE."
"Oh, great! You can read my mind."
"IGNORE ME!

...YES, I CAN."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

He's on that dumb live action show with David spade unless it got axed for the betterment of humanity.

Yeah, he did...5 seasons? of "Rules of Engagement" on CBS. Long enough to get it into syndication (Hello, residual checks!)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Before I saw this site I did not know there was a variety of cheese named "Butterkase." I rectified that very quickly. Effective marketing, Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Seems Bloody Brock is a regular staple of SDCC.

Which is kind of weird, since Brock has been far more nuanced and way less murder happy for like 3 seasons (approx. 17 years real time)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

prefect posted:

I love listening to them talk. You can hear the characters that Doc Hammer voices in about half of the things that come out of his mouth. :allears:

When Doc gets agitated his voice just becomes Billy Quizboy's, minus all the excessive spit noises. Meanwhile Jackson's normal speaking voice is simply Hank without the dumb.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dodecalypse posted:

Season 6 teaser, I don't think was posted.

http://adultswim.com/video/the-venture-bros/the-venture-bros-season-6-teaser.html

"If you see something... slay something." So good

Wow, Billy AND Hank raise their voices?! This I gots to see!

PostNouveau posted:

Oh man, I wonder if Rusty Venture, Villain Hunter will be an actual plot point or if they're just loving around. I'd love to see it.

I'm guessing the entire thing is a ruse - The Monarch could easily put on a domino mask, murder other villains and pin it on Rusty. He's amoral enough and they've got the same chin.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Data Graham posted:

I caught the premiere of the pilot, thought it was overly full of itself and badly flash-animated and kinda mean-spirited and not anywhere near as funny as it clearly thought it was, and I almost didn't watch the real series when it showed up.

Right there with you. I only watched the show once it premiered because it was the summer, I was home from college and bored out of my mind. I think "Home Insecurity" aired the night before I went back and it sold me on the series.

When I met Monarch, I wa' hooked on crack cocaine, got in all kinda of trouble. Monarch turned my life around. How 'bout you, why'd you join up?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pope Guilty posted:

There's a much more straight Johnny Quest parody in the first episode of Freakazoid that I look back on and can't figure out how anybody who hasn't watched a lot of Johnny Quest makes heads or tails of it.

Yeah, I "got" that Toby Danger was a parody of Johnny Quest when I was 10 (It helped that it debuted right when the Turner networks were running that Quest TV movie ad infinitum,) but I didn't "get" it until many, many years after the fact.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I am going to tell myself that this is just Dark Horse being Dark Horse and it is still coming at some unspecified later date.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Fafenefenoiby posted:

http://asitecalledfred.com/2009/12/25/holiday-havoc-the-venture-bros-2/

Venture Bros Christmas single tunes! 2005 is too beautiful for words.

In my mind whenever I hear the Bing Crosby/David Bowie version of White Christmas it simply becomes the Monarch/Dr. Girlfriend version. COME IN. COME IN. COME IN, DAVID BOWIE, NOW.

Shame they stopped doing them, it was a wonderful tradition :(

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Actually, it's a "conjectural technologies" department.

"How can we make your Tomorrow better?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I love the weird stuff Doc interjects into the episode. Like the part where they discuss how it was like that documentary, "The Man whose arms exploded" and how it was the most awful thing ever filmed. Something like that outta left field just makes this show the awesome poo poo it is.

"Remember Tool Academy?" It's just reference humor...but it's good reference humor. Somehow.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Taerkar posted:

Hey now, there were two different kinds of suits used in that episode.

Three kinds.

Rusty's lucky that no one remembers the Greens.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hedrigall posted:

I really hope they do a Christmas song this year :3:

They call me heat miser
Whenever I touch things
They are always beginning to melt...
I'M TOO MUCH!

To me, the Monarch/Dr. Girlfriend version of Crosby/Bowie's Little Drummer Boy is the definitive one.

"Come on in.

Come in. COME IN.
COME IN, DAVID BOWIE, NOW."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Geez, 24 has been dead a long time/Holy poo poo we've had 3 seasons in 8 years